ADVERTISEMENT

Univ of Chicago no longer a member of CIC/B1G Academic Alliance

But, but, but.....according to the Screaming Mimi b1g-huggers on the board, the b1g conference isn't an athletic conference like other athletic conferences, it's really first-and-foremost about academics...blah, blah, blah. Chortle, chortle.....

My kid went to UChicago. The athletic center is worth a visit. All sorts of football memorabilia from the '30s and the first Heisman trophy, won by Jay Berwanger, who was about 150 lbs. soaking wet. I like to remind my Notre Dame friends that the Fighting Maroons are 4-0 vs. the Irish, (although the last game was in 1897)....

My kid went to UChicago. The athletic center is worth a visit. All sorts of football memorabilia from the '30s and the first Heisman trophy, won by Jay Berwanger, who was about 150 lbs. soaking wet. I like to remind my Notre Dame friends that the Fighting Maroons are 4-0 vs. the Irish, (although the last game was in 1897)....
In a somewhat related vein, my cousin happened to be in the Catholic University library recently and opened the 1923 Yearbook to our grandfather's senior profile. He had originally been CU Class of 1918 but left for the war and was seriously injured when the plane he was piloting crashed. It took him a few years to get back on his feet and it wasn't until 1923 that he graduated. Anyway, to the point of this post: "Norm was a member of the last Catholic football team to beat Maryland, in 1915." Edit: I just checked. It's still the last CU team to beat Maryland. (There was a 0-0 tie in 1924.)

Last edited:

My stepfather played for Amos Alonzo Stagg there. A one-time powerhouse that chose to put academics first and last time I looked DIII. Particularly great graduate schools.
If I was czar, there would only be academic scholarships and schools would follow the Univ. Chic. model.
Yes, I love college sports.

Unrelated, i was thinking about UK universities and whether or not they offer athletic scholarships.
while, I am at it, my 11 year old granddaughter plays softball --and has games starting @ 8 and 8:30 PM on school nights, and has been told that she must specialize in that sport now, if she wants to have a chance to play for the High School. How sad.

Reactions: Frabjous
My stepfather played for Amos Alonzo Stagg there. A one-time powerhouse that chose to put academics first and last time I looked DIII. Particularly great graduate schools.
If I was czar, there would only be academic scholarships and schools would follow the Univ. Chic. model.

Unrelated, i was thinking about UK universities and whether or not they offer athletic scholarships.
while, I am at it, my 11 year old granddaughter plays softball --and has games starting @ 8 and 8:30 PM on school nights, and has been told that she must specialize in that sport now, if she wants to have a chance to play for the High School. How sad.
Yeah, Chicago's Mathematics program is top-five, always has been. I've had three advisors through my years of graduate school, each was from Chicago.

Athletic scholarships at a university in the UK? LOL. As a rule of thumb, there is little in the way of financial aid provided by universities themselves. There is a fair amount provided by the national government, but most of it is in the form of loans, limited to UK and EU nationals, with the latter being a question mark going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT