ADVERTISEMENT

How is Levis a top 5 or 10 pick?

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
I know it has been discussed before but I am trying to figure out how he goes from 2nd string at PSU to this? A colossal jump up. It has to be more than strong arm and big body, right? He could not beat out Clifford and it was the right decision. Admittedly, I did not watch him closely at Kentucky but from what I saw his play did not jump off the screen like a Bryce Young, Stroud, Caleb Williams, Hooker, etc. He lost the Ole Miss game with fumbles. He came in against O$U and just ran and ran like a fullback not an elusive fast QB, his Rutgers start was meh. I know I am comparing 2nd string at PSU without the benefit of first string practice reps vs 1st string reps at Kentucky so I'm sure that plays into things. I don't think he is particularly elusive or an incredibly good decision maker or a super accurate passer. This would suggest he could have been a 1st or 2nd team All American at PSU but I don't buy that. Did he really dramatically improve this much to justify a top 5 or 10 pick? I'm not the biggest Cliff fan but just trying to sort out how one guy (Cliff) beats out Levis and won't even be drafted and the other guy (Levis) never can earn first string yet here he is staring at a top 10 pick. I could see Levis at 3rd round and Cliff at 6th round maybe for example but this kind of disparity is bizarre in my opinion.

Reactions: 81b&w
I agree on Levis. His draft projection is shocking to me. I wish the best for him and hope he succeeds at the next level. Some positions have guys who kill it at the combine. QB isn't one of these positions. He can show off his arm strength, 40 speed, agility and so forth but his tape doesn't look like a 1st rounder's.
That's precisely how I see it but I have been wrong before. The projections for Levis remind me of the love affair the Eagles had after seeing MIke Mamula work out in shorts. Levis has a very strong arm and is a big guy with the ability to run, but his play in the games I watched doesn't scream Top 10 player to me. Then again the NFL is a QB driven league and desperation often plays a role here IMO. I also wish him luck and hope I am wrong about him.

Josh Allen’s NFL success.
I am pretty sure Allen had much more impressive film than Levis. If Levis ends up being another Josh Allen then I will eat my words but don't see that happening. I wish the guy the best but just boggles my mind to see a top 5 pick used for him or even top 10. For example, I am a Steelers fan and let's go back a year and you had to choose beteeen Pickett and Levis. I would go with Pickett. Got a feeling Levis will be more Mason Rudolph than Josh Allen.

I know it has been discussed before but I am trying to figure out how he goes from 2nd string at PSU to this? A colossal jump up. It has to be more than strong arm and big body, right? He could not beat out Clifford and it was the right decision. Admittedly, I did not watch him closely at Kentucky but from what I saw his play did not jump off the screen like a Bryce Young, Stroud, Caleb Williams, Hooker, etc. He lost the Ole Miss game with fumbles. He came in against O$U and just ran and ran like a fullback not an elusive fast QB, his Rutgers start was meh. I know I am comparing 2nd string at PSU without the benefit of first string practice reps vs 1st string reps at Kentucky so I'm sure that plays into things. I don't think he is particularly elusive or an incredibly good decision maker or a super accurate passer. This would suggest he could have been a 1st or 2nd team All American at PSU but I don't buy that. Did he really dramatically improve this much to justify a top 5 or 10 pick? I'm not the biggest Cliff fan but just trying to sort out how one guy (Cliff) beats out Levis and won't even be drafted and the other guy (Levis) never can earn first string yet here he is staring at a top 10 pick. I could see Levis at 3rd round and Cliff at 6th round maybe for example but this kind of disparity is bizarre in my opinion.
I’d be shocked if he went top 10. That said, someone may take a chance on him in the first round. Closer to a 2nd/3rd rounder IMO. — He is a very good athlete, smart, fast (enough), strong, and has an NFL arm ( without question). — He has an NFL body/athlete type to play : FB, TE, LB as well as having an extremely strong throwing arm. If a team thinks he is quick enough mentally to read NFL defenses, someone will take a first or second round chance on him. (He can be “coached “into decreasing mental errors ……fumbles/int’s).

I’d be shocked if he went top 10. That said, someone may take a chance on him in the first round. Closer to a 2nd/3rd rounder IMO. — He is a very good athlete, smart, fast (enough), strong, and has an NFL arm ( without question). — He has an NFL body/athlete type to play : FB, TE, LB as well as having an extremely strong throwing arm. If a team thinks he is quick enough mentally to read NFL defenses, someone will take a first or second round chance on him. (He can be “coached “into decreasing mental errors ……fumbles/int’s).
Yeah I see all that and I'm no scout but what does he do so much better than Clifford? It must all be arm strength and body size? That tells me those two measurables are placed at a super high premium by NFL scouts. But then you have Bryce Young but I guess that is all accuracy and decision making for him. This tells me they must think Clifford's arm ain't worth crap and maybe they think he is very weak with decision making and the whole mental aspect of the game? You would think with Franklin's NFL connections he could drum up some interest in Clifford especially since he had both Clifford and Levis on the same team and thought Clifford was better. Levis is not a better runner. He is not faster but maybe he is? Is he more accurate? I don't think so. So I go back to why in the world could he not beat out Clifford?? Franklin and the whole PSU staff are not stupid. They are starting the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Did they know they had an NFL first rounder on the bench? Heck, go back before that, Levis was a 3 star out of Connecticut. Not that highly recruited. I know guys are late bloomers, low HS recruits who become NFL legends etc. but this does not add up to me.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Yeah I see all that and I'm no scout but what does he do so much better than Clifford? It must all be arm strength and body size? That tells me those two measurables are placed at a super high premium by NFL scouts. But then you have Bryce Young but I guess that is all accuracy and decision making for him. This tells me they must think Clifford's arm ain't worth crap and maybe they think he is very weak with decision making and the whole mental aspect of the game? You would think with Franklin's NFL connections he could drum up some interest in Clifford especially since he had both Clifford and Levis on the same team and thought Clifford was better. Levis is not a better runner. He is not faster but maybe he is? Is he more accurate? I don't think so. So I go back to why in the world could he not beat out Clifford?? Franklin and the whole PSU staff are not stupid. They are starting the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Did they know they had an NFL first rounder on the bench? Heck, go back before that, Levis was a 3 star out of Connecticut. Not that highly recruited. I know guys are late bloomers, low HS recruits who become NFL legends etc. but this does not add up to me.
A huge reason…HUGE! …..is the difference in the offensive system we were running when Levis was here. He is in no way, shape, or form an RPO style QB. Not quick enough of both feet or brain. When he did get in it was just running straight up.

He had no chance here with that system but now with Yurcich it would have been a different story. Not saying he would have beat out Clifford but the system fits him far better.

And the system at Kentucky was tailor made from him. A very wise choice to go there and would love to see him discuss that choice.

I am surprised he is talked about so highly. But when watching his games the announcers salivated over his quick release which is a huge factor for pro scouts. Gets the ball out so quickly that defenders have no time to react. Plus his great power……throws deep well and gets the ball into right windows.

Him even being mentioned as the top pick is amazing. A top ten pick would be confusing. Even a first rounder would not be expected. But what do I know🤷🏼‍♀️

What do they say are 3 most important things about real estate? Location, location, location. What are the 3 most important things to NFL scouts? Measurable, measurable, measurable…

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I think it is a numbers game for the most part. There are about 6 or 7 NFL teams that are desperate for a QB, and there are really only 2 first-round QB prospects--Young and Stroud.

So a few teams below the top 3 or 4 picks are talking themselves into Levis as being a 1st-round QB. These teams have a draft position in the top 10 or 12, they badly need a QB, and they don't know when they will be in a top 10 draft position to take a 1st-round QB again.

So they are talking themselves into Levis this year. In another year where there are more top QB's coming out of college, Levis might not be taken until the 3rd or 4th round.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
As a long time Cowboys fan I am not sure about the accuracy of your last statement after watching Dak throughout his career.

Reactions: 81b&w
I am pretty sure Allen had much more impressive film than Levis. If Levis ends up being another Josh Allen then I will eat my words but don't see that happening. I wish the guy the best but just boggles my mind to see a top 5 pick used for him or even top 10. For example, I am a Steelers fan and let's go back a year and you had to choose beteeen Pickett and Levis. I would go with Pickett. Got a feeling Levis will be more Mason Rudolph than Josh Allen.
I'm a Steelers fan too.

So I'm hoping the Brownie's use a first round pick to take Levis. ;)

Or better yet, the Brownie's trade their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to trade up to get him!! ;););)

Last edited:
I'm a Steelers fan too.

Or better yet, the Browie's trade their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to trade up to get him!! ;););)
Well, the browns already traded their first round pick for a QB. The perv QB then paid him $300m

I'm not sure why people are this obsessed with his draft status. Levis has potential and that's all drafts are based on. Van Ness couldn't start at Iowa and he might be a top 15 pick.

Accepting Levis has the upside teams want and may go as high as 4 to the Colts (maybe 2 to Houston but I don't think that's realistic) isn't insulting Clifford or Franklin.

Josh Allen didn’t have someone like Josh Allen succeeding in the NFL to give him a boost though.

(I do not believe Will will ever come close to becoming Josh Allen and find his projection shocking, just responding to the original question)

I'm a Steelers fan too.

Or better yet, the Browie's trade their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to trade up to get him!! ;););)
Yep I would love it if the Cleve Brownies go bonkers over him. I like the Steelers chances if he is the Brownies QB. Unfortunately, I don't think even they are that stupid.

I think it is a numbers game for the most part. There are about 6 or 7 NFL teams that are desperate for a QB, and there are really only 2 first-round QB prospects--Young and Stroud.

So a few teams below the top 3 or 4 picks are talking themselves into Levis as being a 1st-round QB. These teams have a draft position in the top 10 or 12, they badly need a QB, and they don't know when they will be in a top 10 draft position to take a 1st-round QB again.

So they are talking themselves into Levis this year. In another year where there are more top QB's coming out of college, Levis might not be taken until the 3rd or 4th round.
Fair point but you gotta believe the scouts and GMs of these teams drafting in the 10-15 position with a QB upgrade need that the comparison of Levis vs their incumbent is not much if any upgrade. Shiny new object theory kicks in I guess.

Josh Allen’s NFL success.
One thing about Josh Allen that stands out is his incredible pocket presence….he seems to sense when a sack is coming and do just enough to get out of the way. I’ve never seen that with Levis.

I don't think the NFL gives a hoot other than physical ability. The college game is so different. For example, the QB only plays with his WR's for a year or two with very limited practices per NCAA rule. Plus you have vast differences in talent. No way you can judge a kid at QB for Kentucky against teams like GA and AL. The QB is only as good as the talent around him. Levis is big, strong, has a quick release and a very strong arm. His practice accuracy is good, at least it has been. HIs game-day performance can be questioned. But is that lack of coaching? lack of talent around him? college vs NFL game?

I followed it very closely when the browns had the first pick and surprisingly picked Baker Mayfield. You may think that was a bad pick but he top two rated QBs where Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. There was a guy named Josh Allen that looked pretty good but he didn't have a great resume having played at Wyoming. There was also a former Heisman guy named Lamar Jackson who couldn't throw very well.

Guess what? Allen and Jackson are MVP caliber QBs. Overall #1 pick Mayfield did OK with the Browns but is struggling to find a home. Sam Darnold is still active but on life support as a starter. Rosen has been a complete bust. The local papers want to hate on the team for drafting Mayfield but can't say much because they wanted Rosen or Darnold (who lit up PSU in the Rose Bowl).

So Levis is expected to be picked no later than 7, to the Raiders. Really, who the F knows? Nobody.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Because he can throw a ball through a brick wall.

Believe me, whoever selects him will be looking for a QB in about 3 years once they realizes he is a bust.

Reactions: bison13

Believe me, whoever selects him will be looking for a QB in about 3 years once they realizes he is a bust.
Robbie Gould sucked so bad Iowa took a purposeful touchback, lowering their 4 point lead to 2. His next stop is the nfl hall of fame. A little coaching and luck, who knows

Robbie Gould sucked so bad Iowa took a purposeful touchback, lowering their 4 point lead to 2. His next stop is the nfl hall of fame. A little coaching and luck, who knows
The real reason Iowa took that touchback was they knew our offense sucked so bad we couldn’t get even one first down and get closer. Our receivers were terrible.

Reactions: okinburg1
The real reason Iowa took that touchback was they knew our offense sucked so bad we couldn’t get even one first down and get closer. Our receivers were terrible.
Combo. RG was 7 for 13 his senior year and 9 of 16 his junior year. That is between 50 and 60%.

Is he that better than Clifford
I don't think the NFL gives a hoot other than physical ability. The college game is so different. For example, the QB only plays with his WR's for a year or two with very limited practices per NCAA rule. Plus you have vast differences in talent. No way you can judge a kid at QB for Kentucky against teams like GA and AL. The QB is only as good as the talent around him. Levis is big, strong, has a quick release and a very strong arm. His practice accuracy is good, at least it has been. HIs game-day performance can be questioned. But is that lack of coaching? lack of talent around him? college vs NFL game?

I followed it very closely when the browns had the first pick and surprisingly picked Baker Mayfield. You may think that was a bad pick but he top two rated QBs where Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. There was a guy named Josh Allen that looked pretty good but he didn't have a great resume having played at Wyoming. There was also a former Heisman guy named Lamar Jackson who couldn't throw very well.

Guess what? Allen and Jackson are MVP caliber QBs. Overall #1 pick Mayfield did OK with the Browns but is struggling to find a home. Sam Darnold is still active but on life support as a starter. Rosen has been a complete bust. The local papers want to hate on the team for drafting Mayfield but can't say much because they wanted Rosen or Darnold (who lit up PSU in the Rose Bowl).

So Levis is expected to be picked no later than 7, to the Raiders. Really, who the F knows? Nobody.
Is he that better than Clifford? I guess every NFL guy thinks so. The arm?

You have no idea if he'll bust or not--just like everyone else doesn't as much as we claim to

Reactions: Bob2022
Bryce young is going to be drafted based on his production and his measurables (with his size being the biggest negative). If Levis is drafted in the first round, he is going to be drafted based upon his measurables, despite his rather ho-hum attributes.
The NBA has been drafting on attributes for a long time now. Teams have to because they only get to see a guy for one year in college before he leaves for the nba. NFL doesn't have to do that due to the 3 year rule. However, some teams have done that recently (Niners with trey lance for one)....

Reactions: GregInPitt
Remember Tim Couch? 1st overall pick in the draft, and there have been many more since then who were busts!

Reactions: jjw165
Bryce young is going to be drafted based on his production and his measurables (with his size being the biggest negative). If Levis is drafted in the first round, he is going to be drafted based upon his measurables, despite his rather ho-hum attributes.
The NBA has been drafting on attributes for a long time now. Teams have to because they only get to see a guy for one year in college before he leaves for the nba. NFL doesn't have to do that due to the 3 year rule. However, some teams have done that recently (Niners with trey lance for one)....
Is he a worse version of Trubisky? I don't see him being any better and likely worse.

Remember Tim Couch? 1st overall pick in the draft, and there have been many more since then who were busts!
Tim Couch? He was not a bust. He played with the worst ten teammates an NFL team ever assembled. I could write a book about it....in fact, there was a book about it. The NFL did the expansion and college draft for the Browns because the Browns didn't have a staff yet. I have a friend who visited the Browns coach just before summer camp and they had a folding table set up with six phones on it because they hadn't had a multi-line phone installed yet. (this was June before their first season back). The coach was answering the phones because he hadn't hired an assistant yet.

The NFL made the expansion draft too lucrative resulting in both the Jags and Panthers going into the playoffs their first year. The NFL over-corrected before the browns (and some say, it was out of spite because the browns fans were so vociferous in getting their team back).

Could be as simple as what proto type NFL clubs are looking for. Big frame, strong arm etc.
It isn't rocket science to figure that what works in college doesn't always translate to the NFL.
A college coach doesn't say.....hmmm......this guy works for us but let's start the guy who translates NFL.
Who was interested in Josh Allen in college? He was 8.05 rated and his only offer appears to have been Wyoming after JC. Mahomes had 2 P5 offers. Ryan Tannehill had 1 P5 offer....and so forth. I think NFL folks who are high on Will are looking at him like a home builder who sees a deserted lot with a solid foundation on it. It has possibilities.
The NFL is full of( 3 star recruits) who didn't dominate in college.
I watched several of Kentucky's games and Levis certainly wasn't a wizard.
I respect his willingness to start over and seize his opportunity at Kentucky. I hope he goes 1st round because that will make him rich. After that, it's all gravy.

Reactions: creamery freak

We should have this conversation after the draft…

Tim Couch? He was not a bust. He played with the worst ten teammates an NFL team ever assembled. I could write a book about it....in fact, there was a book about it. The NFL did the expansion and college draft for the Browns because the Browns didn't have a staff yet. I have a friend who visited the Browns coach just before summer camp and they had a folding table set up with six phones on it because they hadn't had a multi-line phone installed yet. (this was June before their first season back). The coach was answering the phones because he hadn't hired an assistant yet.

The NFL made the expansion draft too lucrative resulting in both the Jags and Panthers going into the playoffs their first year. The NFL over-corrected before the browns (and some say, it was out of spite because the browns fans were so vociferous in getting their team back).
64 TD's - 67 Interceptions. Nothing to get too excited about like you are writing.

64 TD's - 67 Interceptions. Nothing to get too excited about like you are writing.
you remind me of these guys that look at games and say "it's joe burrow versus Mahomes!". there are more than a QB on the field. If the OL doesn't block, the WR's don't get open, and the RB follow the holes, it doesn't matter who is at QB. Couch played on one of the worst-maned teams in history. Probably the worst coached, at least in year one, as well. I was a season ticket holder and was there for most of those home games in the first two years. It got to the point where the comical nature of the way the Browns played was more entertaining than the games themselves. It was a complete shit show like I've never seen in pro-sports. The last game I attended was the game where the crowd cheered when Couch suffered a serious injury.

I continue to be amazed how so many view Levis as tied to Franklin and Clifford. Clifford was the "senior" guy and got the nod. Once you become the starter at QB it is hard to get pushed out unless you play terribly. There isn't enough time to get the reps to improve enough if you are the backup. Levis saw the writing on the wall, left PSU and had success at Kentucky and will now be drafted in the first round it sounds like. That story is only about Will Levis. It is not about Penn State, James Franklin or Sean Clifford.

All that said I watched a lot of Kentucky the last two seasons because I was interested in how Levis would do. I personally do not see NFL QB with him. He has a lot of ball security issues and those don't often get a lot better in the NFL especially when you start out on a bad team.

I don't know and I don't really care, and I wish him well. Hope he gets paid and I hope he does well.

Is he a worse version of Trubisky? I don't see him being any better and likely worse.
I would never draft Levis in the first round, however, the Niners traded up to draft for traits over production, that was my only point. In the NBA they have to, you don't in the NFL. Typically the NfL drafts after seeing good production and then determining if the traits will translate to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT