ADVERTISEMENT

Univ. of Alabama with 1200 positive cases.

Interesting article in my local paper, print edition from NYT reporter Mandavilli:
The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles, the fewer cycles required , the greater the amount of virus or viral load in the sample. The greater the viral load the more likely the patient is to be contagious.
This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus is called the cycle threshold. The C.T. is never included in the results sent to doctors and patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.
In 3 sets of testing data that include the CT, compiled by officials in MA, NY, and Nevada, up to 90% of the people testing positive carried barely any virus.
On Thursday, the US recorded 45,604 new cases, according to database maintained by the NYT. If the rate fo contagiousness in the MA, NY, and Nevada were applied nationally , then perhaps only 4,500 of those people actually need too isolate and submit to contact tracing.
All labs set the CT at a different limit. Some are up to 40 . Tests with CT that high may detect not just live virus, but also genetic fragments that post no risk in particular. CDC is examining a upper limit on CT, and also looking at whether to begin reporting the CTs found in positive tests. A more reasonable cutoff suggested would be 30-35 cycles. This change would mean that the amount of genetic material in a sample would have 100-fold to 1000-fold that of the current standard to produce a positive result.
The solution suggested now is more rapid tests that are fast, cheap , and abundant, even though they have less sensitivity.

Last edited:
Do they do that with all causes of death? I mean, for those who die of heart disease, are other factors listed (e.g., heart disease and obesity, heart disease and Covid-19, etc.) such that there is a percentage in which it is the only cause mentioned?

Simply stated, when a death certificate is filed, essentially all the causes contributing to the death are listed, and one is selected to be the primary cause.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Interesting article in my local paper, print edition from NYT reporter Mandavilli:
The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles, the fewer cycles required , the greater the amount of virus or viral load in the sample. The greater the viral load the more likely the patient is to be contagious.
This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus is called the cycle threshold. The C.T. is never included in the results sent to doctors and patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.
In 3 sets of testing data that include the CT, compiled by officials in MA, NY, and Nevada, up to 90% of the people testing positive carried barely any virus.
On Thursday, the US recorded 45,604 new cases, according to database maintained by the NYT. If the rate fo contagiousness in the MA, NY, and Nevada were applied nationally , then perhaps only 4,500 of those people actually need too isolate and submit to contact tracing.
All labs set the CT at a different limit. Some are up to 40 . Tests with CT that high may detect not just live virus, but also genetic fragments that post no risk in particular. CDC is examining a upper limit on CT, and also looking at whether to begin reporting the CTs found in positive tests. A more reasonable cutoff suggested would be 30-35 cycles. This change would mean that the amount of genetic material in a sample would have 110-fold to 1000-fold that of the current standard to produce a positive result.
The solution suggested now is more rapid tests that are fast, cheap , and abundant, even though they have less sensitivity.
That is interesting information. I've been saying we need to redefine what is a "positive" result. As we unlock and people get preventative tests there will be more and more positive tests from people that had it long ago and were never symptomatic. In the first two months, you were only to get tested if you had symptoms. In many weeks/months, you needed a prescription. Clearly people had it but never knew and now are counted as a sick person who has to quarantine. That inflates the numbers if we are trying to determine who is really sick.

Here is a site that tracks % of tests given to % of positives. It is very helpful. This was always going to be two steps forward, one step back situation as we unlock.

Reactions: 91Joe95
So by your logic, someone who was obese was destined to die on the day he or she did regardless of whether they contracted Covid 19. No way they could have lived a year, five or ten years and within that time frame taken steps to reverse their condition?

Guess we should abandon all of the efforts of medicine to prolong and improve the lives of people with chronic conditions.

No- it simply means the best thing you can do to fight a virus like this is to eat healthy, take the proper vitamins, work out, and keep your weight down. Not wear a mask forever.

America is pretty unhealthy right now.

You are the guy trying to make it out something different and trying to put words in my mouth. Remember your most recent post?:

"The way some of you keep spinning this, Covid will soon not have killed anyone. Maybe it's a cure for cancer, too."​
what part of that isn't true?

No- it simply means the best thing you can do to fight a virus like this is to eat healthy, take the proper vitamins, work out, and keep your weight down. Not wear a mask forever.

It, at least, deserves scrutiny as we shape public policy beyond a broad-brush, one-size-fits-all methodology that will ruin our economy and lead to deaths as a result of the "cure". Lets have a discussion and not shout down people that have a point-of-view based on the same sources of "science" that we followed in March. And, yes, I do believe that the USA's mortality rate, has been greatly increased due to our country's collective weight problem and diabetes.

what part of that isn't true?
..just all of it.

I certainly understand the debating tool of conflation. Just as there are lunatics that advocate shutting it down again, there are lunatics that advocate opening it back up to 100% again (including not taking preventative measures like wearing a mask in public places).

The COVID vs flu argument is insane. There are now piles of data which speak to the severity of COVID. The issue this country has is it became political. 4% of the world's population and 25% of the COVID deaths. That isn't more testing. That is failure. COVID has lingering effects that do not come with a typical flu. If you stripped out the politics from the issue, very few would debate that this is no different than any other virus. But in 2020, which side you sit on is everything and impacts every decsion. So, we march forward and cross our fingers - or deny all logic.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
..just all of it.

I certainly understand the debating tool of conflation. Just as there are lunatics that advocate shutting it down again, there are lunatics that advocate opening it back up to 100% again (including not taking preventative measures like wearing a mask in public places).
All of it is true- you're just taking it personally. Had I written it about you, I would have quoted you before I wrote it. You and I disagree on a lot of this, but at least you see both sides- which is why I DIDN'T quote you.

The COVID vs flu argument is insane. There are now piles of data which speak to the severity of COVID. The issue this country has is it became political. 4% of the world's population and 25% of the COVID deaths. That isn't more testing. That is failure. COVID has lingering effects that do not come with a typical flu. If you stripped out the politics from the issue, very few would debate that this is no different than any other virus. But in 2020, which side you sit on is everything and impacts every decsion. So, we march forward and cross our fingers - or deny all logic.

There's also piles of data that says covid is the same as or less of an impact than the flu for most age groups. And the typical flu can have all the same lingering effects of covid.

Depends on several factors. For people under the age of 45 without an underlying condition, the chances of death are statistically zero. According to the CDC, we've had 4,895 COVID deaths for all people under the age of 45. If you then factor in underlying conditions you'd have a number much lower than that.
  • Age 35-44 = 3,301
  • Age 25-34 = 1,257
  • Age 15-24 = 280
  • Age 5-14 = 28
  • Age 1-4 = 12
  • Age under 12 months, = 17
(this also shows why college kids could give a shit. total deaths in that age group not even considering underlying factors is 280 nation wide)

There's also piles of data that says covid is the same as or less of an impact than the flu for most age groups. And the typical flu can have all the same lingering effects of covid.

And this 25% of the Covid deaths is BS. The US is clearly over reporting, and other countries are under reporting. No doubt. There are probably 2000 in all of PA, with a population of 12 million, that weren't in nursing homes. The wrong people are being locked up. Deaths are WAY down in the US from Covid. No reason for some of this to be going on.

Once again, the board experts show themselves with such succinct analysis and clarity on data.

Nothing to see here folks, It's not a problem, just ignore the 183k+ dead people, they would have died anyway.

"And now back your regularly scheduled programming."
Follow the Science Ned. I posted nothing but facts from the CDC and Johns Hopkins.

That's a good start. But reducing the spread of the disease in the short term with something as innocuous as wearing masks can also help.

Reactions: Obliviax
Why hasn't the real epidemiology community come out and pronounced what your special insight is revealing? Are you saying that it is politically motivated? or maybe the data isn't as clear and insightful as you say?

Ned, try to keep up.
Noone is saying there are no deaths.
People, based on science and facts, are saying that staying locked down is pointless.

You love quoting the gross numbers but you do not really understand them.
Try reading what Obli is posting... numbers, facts and science.
Learn. Absorb. Stop being stubborn and acting stupid.

Then come back.

LdN

I think we need to begin to define what a "positive case" means.

The entire NFL has one guy out for COVID. The CDC put out a report saying that only 6% of all fatalities didn't have some kind of contributing condition that may have caused the person's death. The State of MN put out a report stating that more people died with COVOD over the age of 90 than under the age of 65. In Ohio. over half of COVID related deaths were over 80 years of age. 75% over the age of 70. CDC also put out a notice stating that people were not contagious unless they were symptomatic.
Just to qualify that CDC report, coronavirus was still found to be the underlying cause in 95% of all deaths related to the virus, including those with no underlying conditions. In other words, people can live with obesity, diabetes or heart disease for years, then get infected with COVID-19 and die quickly thereafter.

Just to qualify that CDC report, coronavirus was still found to be the underlying cause in 95% of all deaths related to the virus, including those with no underlying conditions. In other words, people can live with obesity, diabetes or heart disease for years, then get infected with COVID-19 and die quickly thereafter.
That is 100% correct. I am in no way stating the 94% of "COVID deaths" are not from COVID. I am stating that, combined with other statistical realities, the true impact of COVID is far less than being reported. As I stated:
  • In Minnesota, more people died of COVID over the age of 90 than under the age of 70
  • In Ohio, over 50% of those that died were over 90
  • In Ohio, over 75% of those that died were already in assisted living facilities
  • Nationwide, the average age of a COVID death is higher than the national average life expectancy (78.54 years)
  • The morbidity for those under the age of 45 and not having an underlying condition is far, less than 1%. (and that doesn't take into consideration those who contracted and don't know or improvement made in treatments)
  • The statistical morbidity of those under the age of 25 is statistically zero

These are CDC and state facts and are not in dispute.

There are additive and interactive effects of comorbid physical and mental conditions on functional health. Add one more stressor and a failing system can easily become overwhelmed and outmatched.

Why hasn't the real epidemiology community come out and pronounced what your special insight is revealing? Are you saying that it is politically motivated? or maybe the data isn't as clear and insightful as you say?
It is...I quoted the CDC and Johns Hopkins. The problem is the media, not the medical people.

Aren't you are the guy who keeps telling the story of the "incorrectly" oriented launch pad at Kennedy Space center thus explaining why the shuttle rolled after take off?

Tell us again, why we should believe you or any of your colleagues on COVID?
man, you are pretty pathetic person. i am sorry that facts and science scare you and humiliate you.

I am pretty sure the guy you all are arguing with is just a paid agitator on this site to generate posts during non-football time. No one possibly could believe 99% of what he's posting, but he does get lots of replies.

Reports are that 1/3 of their 300 rooms for isolation are filled. So at least 100 kids are symptomatic. The remainder may be ones that are presymptomatic or asymptomatic but were tested as in contact with a confirmed case. Nevertheless they can pass it to others, which is what the University is trying to minimize.
Why would they only isolate symptomatic kids? Aren't all the positives able to spread the disease?

Everybody is going to die. By your logic COVID hasn't killed anybody. Neither has cancer. Or AIDs. Or the flu. I mean, what is the cutoff? If somebody was "going to die" how quickly will we have had to expect them to die where we can dismiss COVID as the cause of death? It's like you don't understand how a virus works at all. We have gotten to the point in our country where people have been told over and over it's OK to ignore facts and make up their own and here we are. You're dismissing the number of deaths for COVID and just making up your own as if that's valid. It's honestly unreal how stupid we've become.
With all due respect [I am one of those older and with other at risk symptoms] why are we spending so much time on what caused the death of these old folks? And that is not to diminish their importance at all [I am one] But for me and any older or at risk person our life has changed for the foreseeable future. [herd immunity, T cells vaccines etc] but that really has zero relation to everyone under the age of [you pick it] 55. For a thread about 1200 college kids testing positive too much time IMO about whether us old folks died from a heart attack or COVID.
P.S If I had a college age child I would NOT hang around with them unless they came home and got a negative test.

Last edited:
Science and facts don't scare me at all. What scares me is that non scientists and general know it all's feel that they have some special insight.

Is that clear enough for you?

My late in-laws were doctors and scientists. My mother in-law was an immunologist, ran laboratories, evaluated pulmonary drugs and had a side gig with the NIH.

Believe me, I trust scientists. I distrust people who are not scientists nor subject matter experts but feel they have special insight in interpreting data.

Well there was a time when a side gig with the NIH was viewed respectfully. Not so sure anymore.

All labs set the CT at a different limit. Some are up to 40 . Tests with CT that high may detect not just live virus, but also genetic fragments that post no risk in particular. CDC is examining a upper limit on CT, and also looking at whether to begin reporting the CTs found in positive tests. A more reasonable cutoff suggested would be 30-35 cycles. This change would mean that the amount of genetic material in a sample would have 100-fold to 1000-fold that of the current standard to produce a positive result.

Interesting. So if true and 90% of those infected do not carry a heavy viral load do they still build enough antibodies to fight off the virus? If so that could be good for herd immunity.

Why would they only isolate symptomatic kids? Aren't all the positives able to spread the disease?

Symptomatic cases are “isolated” for 10 days and until symptom free in hotel room. Asymptomatic cases are “quarantined” for 14 days in dorm room. If they develop symptoms they move to isolation in hotel room. In theory they are similar but the university is assuming more responsibility and control for symptomatic cases.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2020/08/what-to-know-about-isolation-quarantine-protocols/

Last edited:
Interesting. So if true and 90% of those infected do not carry a heavy viral load do they still build enough antibodies to fight off the virus? If so that could be good for herd immunity.
Good question. It didn't say in the article. But as they are testing the vaccines, they are playing with the viral load given with the doses. When the loads got too small, they needed a 2nd dose to get the desired antibody response.
In the article it said they usually record the CT for the flu. You think some better parameters would have been in place to track that information as well as a more complete demographic profile of the COVID-19 positive individuals.

Science and facts don't scare me at all. What scares me is that non scientists and general know it all's feel that they have some special insight.

Is that clear enough for you?

My late in-laws were doctors and scientists. My mother in-law was an immunologist, ran laboratories, evaluated pulmonary drugs and had a side gig with the NIH.

Believe me, I trust scientists. I distrust people who are not scientists nor subject matter experts but feel they have special insight in interpreting data.

UPDATE: An interesting video discussing conspiracies and misinformation.
I used CDC and Johns Hopkins university for every single one of my posts and I included the link. sorry if reality scares you.

Some Universities are monitoring sewage to screen for COVID-19, and at Univ. Of AZ they were able to determine the dorm as.a source of positive tests, and then tracked down the students.

Do you mean that hospitals can profit by falsifying medical records? Don't know how that has changed with Covid 19.
It may have always been true but with so much "comparing of data" across even country boundaries it seems an extra $$ incentive to code treatment as COVID could lead to suspicious behavior. [especially when for 3-4 months hospitals lost virtually all of their elective procedures.

It may have always been true but with so much "comparing of data" across even country boundaries it seems an extra $$ incentive to code treatment as COVID could lead to suspicious behavior. [especially when for 3-4 months hospitals lost virtually all of their elective procedures.

So flu changed so much that it's now a year around thing or are you simply accusing hospitals and doctors of making cases up out of thin air?

So flu changed so much that it's now a year around thing or are you simply accusing hospitals and doctors of making cases up out of thin air?
didn't you just agree that hospitals "fudged" the numbers when it suited them when you posted this "Do you mean that hospitals can profit by falsifying medical records? Don't know how that has changed with Covid 19."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT