ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated cover song...

May not fit the definition of "underrated" since it hit #2 on the charts, but on the whole I think the Carpenters are underrated due to their squeaky-clean bubblegum image. And this IS a cover.

Karen Carpenter's voice is the very definition of melancholy and it's tragic that she wasn't around long enough to mature as an artist. My personal opinion is that she would've been one of the all-time greats.

Reactions: royboy
Now for truly underrated and virtually ignored, here's Everlasting Colorfast covering The Beatles "She Said She Said."

Thanks for pinging this post. I've been meaning to add an entry. Bo Diddley originally recorded the song, but the Dolls picked it up and rewrote some of the lyrics to fit their era.

Red Hot Chili Peppers did a very good job with I Get Around (The Beach Boys). Also Les Claypool with Pink Floyd’s Pigs (3 Different Ones).

That's an awesome album. Taylor Swift approved btw.

You don't have to tell me. President of the BWI/McAndrew Board Taylor Swift Fan Club.

300x300.jpg

Reactions: cohawk
Additionally, Fiona Apple may be the most underrated singer/songwriter (in terms of popularity - she's adored by critics) of our time. How about singing a cover of Elvis Costello's 'I Want You' and having him play guitar with you on stage? That is ballsy. And, when people write this about your cover, you know you're the sh*t.

As part of the 2006 “Elvis Costello & Friends” episode of VH1’s Decades Rock, Apple gives an astounding live performance of the track. She minimizes the slowed-down ska inflections of the original, but otherwise offers up a pretty faithful rendition of the tune with Costello on guitar duty. A particularly nice touch that remains intact in this version is the sustained discordant note from the band before Apple launches into the chorus.

Imbued with Apple’s distinctive voice tremor—which somehow conveys resoluteness and vulnerability at the same time—the song climbs new heights and plumbs new depths of range in this singer’s hands. The display of emotion required to sell it serves Apple’s intense stage presence well. From the time she sings, “I’m afraid I won’t know where to stop” until she repeatedly wails, “I want you” at the end, Apple is utterly believable as someone losing the last remaining strands of her sanity. In fact, the listener may feel compelled to warn the object of her affections, because clearly some foul shit is about to go down.

Reactions: Aloha T and cohawk
There's a reason why Chris Squire chose Billy Sherwood to replace him, for obvious reasons. Not many can kill the Würm like this.

The Yes version of "America" never gets old when Jon Anderson is in top form. I recorded this last week at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in Collingswood, NJ.

I saw some clips and was really surprised how good that band sounded. Jon sounds amazing yet! I'd love to see another "Union" Part Deux tour. Bring together everyone who's still around for one final go at it.

There's a ton of great cover songs but no good ones by Cat STEVENS, STEVIE Ray Vaughan, STEVIE Wonder, or STEVE from accounting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT