ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated cover song...

....and a truly ironic cover of the same Alice Cooper song by Ike & Tina Turner

not sure if I posted this yet, but "Drum Madness" was essentially Jason Bonham and Tico Torres, covering "Moby Dick" for the benefit CD "Stairway to Heaven/Highway to Hell" . . . and the knock the crap out of this tune:

Was always a treat. I miss March at the Beacon. Check out After the Crash for a good documentary on the Brothers. You can dial it up On Demand for free.
Will try to check this out, but I gotta say that I find it really difficult to watch video of the Allman Brothers Band these days. ("These days," pun was not intended, but just noticed it.) Greg's death just put a bit of a capper on things for me. I have no trouble playing a DVD (i.e., just the audio), but the video is too depressing to watch. And I just don't think I could sit through someone trying to cover this band, in particular. I might take in a Dicky Betts show if he ever tours to a locale near me, but it seems like roughly half the ABB live concert songbook is kaput without Greg there to sing lead vocals.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Will try to check this out, but I gotta say that I find it really difficult to watch video of the Allman Brothers Band these days. ("These days," pun was not intended, but just noticed it.) Greg's death just put a bit of a capper on things for me. I have no trouble playing a DVD (i.e., just the audio), but the video is too depressing to watch. And I just don't think I could sit through someone trying to cover this band, in particular. I might take in a Dicky Betts show if he ever tours to a locale near me, but it seems like roughly half the ABB live concert songbook is kaput without Greg there to sing lead vocals.

going slightly off topic, but Karl Denson's Tiny Universe just did a live Allman's set . . . and holy peach pits, they blow the friggin doors off this set

Hard to have anyone pull off their unique style with any success. I tried to see them each year at the Beacon and always left saying they were the best playing band I ever saw.

Hard to have anyone pull off their unique style with any success. I tried to see them each year at the Beacon and always left saying they were the best playing band I ever saw.

Agreed. Never put on a bad show. Have to say tho, that TTB is pretty damn good.
Try and catch Dead and Co. Oteill is very good with them, and doing some great vocal.s

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
And of course the late Marc Moreland playing guitar there in Ring of Fire was the subject for Concrete Blonde’s “Joey.”

Thanks I didn't know that.
I always liked Concrete Blonde, especially their Bloodletting album, Walking in London is pretty good as well.
Another excellent cover of Ring of Fire was by Social Distortion.

I didn't scroll through this thread so maybe this was mentioned before....

This past weekend I watched Runnin' Down a Dream, a documentary on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Netflix. There is a segment where Petty talks about the first time he heard Johnny Cash sing Won't Back Down, and he was blown away. TP said the song should have been written for Cash.

speaking of Warren Haynes, when I saw The Dead in 2004, Haynes ripped out a chilling cover of "One" by U2 (couldn't find the concert, but here's a great version years later):

ADVERTISEMENT