ADVERTISEMENT

TYler Berger message for Nolf

Everyone knows that when going on a social media sabbatical to focus, you have to draw as much attention to yourself as possible or it doesn’t count.

Luckily for Jason, being tweeted at gives you an excuse for any questionable behavior on the mat!

All this smack talk is fun, and totally fair game. But let's take a step back. Berger is a multi-year AA, beat Deakin and Hidlay. What other goal is he going to set for himself? Sure, tweeting it out to the world shows some immaturity (and probably significant misjudgement), but he didn't, in the parlance of the twitterverse, "@" him. He easily could have, and it, (again, in the world these kids live in), would have been 100X worse. Just pointing that out, because in addition to bravado, perhaps there is also some fear?

I was a pretty good wrestler back in the day. Wrestled division 1 and I like probably every one of these kids felt like I could beat any opponent I got on the mat with...except 1...Eric Guerrero. No matter what I couldn’t fool myself into believing that I could beat him. He was just on another level and I have a feeling that is how most of these young men feel about Nolf. He is absolutely on another level. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I take Berger’s tweet as an attempt to psych himself up and to truly believe that he has a chance to take down the best. I don’t have a problem with it but he better back it up now and I don’t see him having a chance in hell. In fact I think Deakin beats him if they meet again.

I was a pretty good wrestler back in the day. Wrestled division 1 and I like probably every one of these kids felt like I could beat any opponent I got on the mat with...except 1...Eric Guerrero. No matter what I couldn’t fool myself into believing that I could beat him. He was just on another level and I have a feeling that is how most of these young men feel about Nolf. He is absolutely on another level. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I take Berger’s tweet as an attempt to psych himself up and to truly believe that he has a chance to take down the best. I don’t have a problem with it but he better back it up now and I don’t see him having a chance in hell. In fact I think Deakin beats him if they meet again.
So in essence, this:

QnPnBn.jpg

Roar..you still think the kids don’t give any thoughts to these call out tweets?
Roar said Nolf wouldn't give any thought to something like that, and I doubt he does. The rest of the team obviously has fun with social media from time to time, but Nolf is kind of like the Barry Sanders of D1 wrestling, I can't imagine anyone getting into his head.

He's channeling his 2013 Flonationals performance hoping for a repeat.

Flonationals (04/05 - 04/07/2013)
High School - 132 (2nd)
Champ. Round 1: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over Ryan Montgomery (Ohio) (Fall 4:50)
Champ. Round 3: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over Logan Meister (Maryland) (Dec 7-2)
Champ. Round 4: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over Kent McCoy (California) (Maj 14-4)
Quarterfinal: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over Colton Orrino (Washington) (Fall 5:59)
Semifinal: Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) over Jesse Rodgers (Pennsylvania) (Maj 11-1)
1st Place Match: Tyler Berger (Oregon) over Jason Nolf (Pennsylvania) (Dec 2-0)
Are you saying every six years or so, Berger has a chance of catching lightning in a bottle?

Reactions: diggerpup
If anything, Nolf would be more pissed / driven that he didn’t bonus Berger on Sunday.

I’m sure that was one of his goals coming into the season.

Reactions: nerfstate
I don't have a problem with Berger's tweet and commend him for giving up socials to prep for nationals. That's no easy sacrifice for most youth, and I have it on good authority (my kids) that one must announce on social media that they are taking a break from social media, else there will be consequences.

Berger's tweet is actually a compliment to Nolf, acknowledges his obvious supremacy, and anticipates naysayers. It's kind of like saying:

Berger: "I'm going to climb that mole hill over there."
Twitterverse: "What about the insurmountable mountain in front of it?'
Berger: "Yeah, I guess I'll have to climb that too. Wish me luck."

OTOH, the ugh'ers of the world who feel the need to denigrate others for expressing belief in or love for deity are beyond tiresome and annoying.

I agree with you Cody!

I don't have a problem with Berger's tweet and commend him for giving up socials to prep for nationals. That's no easy sacrifice for most youth, and I have it on good authority (my kids) that one must announce on social media that they are taking a break from social media, else there will be consequences.

Berger's tweet is actually a compliment to Nolf, acknowledges his obvious supremacy, and anticipates naysayers. It's kind of like saying:

Berger: "I'm going to climb that mole hill over there."
Twitterverse: "What about the insurmountable mountain in front of it?'
Berger: "Yeah, I guess I'll have to climb that too. Wish me luck."

I (also?) respect Berger for believing in himself. I still want to make fun, though. :)

Hilarious phrasing and thought provoking. But not socially-acceptable! Gotta respect your audience! Community is more important than some notion of absolute truth ...
I used to chase “truth”, and then someone told me, “why don’t you just explain yourself by telling them that you care more about truth than you do about their feelings.” I reflected on that comment a long time.

Meh. Jason is driven from within. Everything else is irrelevant. Fans will make more of this than he will.

Disagree. Nobody doubts Jason is self-motivated. That said, if Berger wants to be an idiot toss stuff out there, I promise you Jason will take notice. He absolutely has shown that he steps it up a level when the lights are on in big matches, and I have no doubt Berger will be on the wrong side of these encounters when they meet again at BIg Tens and Nationals.

Reactions: pish69
I used to chase “truth”, and then someone told me, “why don’t you just explain yourself by telling them that you care more about truth than you do about their feelings.” I reflected on that comment a long time.

Man, that is some powerful Confucius type shit to ponder :cool:!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT