ADVERTISEMENT

Best Redshirt Season?

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
Saw a tweet that said Barr is 8-0 with five bonus wins. Upon closer review… that includes a dub over 3x NQ / R16 finisher / #13 Jacob Nolan.

Made me wonder… who has had the best redshirt season at PSU?

Unfortunately, the PSWC removed redshirt stats from the profiles, so this might be tougher to compare than it was a few months ago.

But I’ll submit Nolf for consideration. During his redshirt season, he had wins over:

National runner-up Realbuto
NQ Russell Parsons
NQ Greg Flournoy
NQ Brooks Martino
NQ Justin Staudenmayer
Returning R12 wrestler Tommy Gantt, who redshirted thst year but went 17-1 according to wrestiestat and 23-1 according to NC State and lost only to Nolf.

Nolf’s only loss was 7-4 to 3rd placer James Green.

That was all in the 1st semester; he didn’t wrestle that year after the Scuffle.

I was going to through our Carter since he didn’t lose and won the scuffle but don’t think he wrestled anyone as good as Green. I would say Nolf probably edges Carter. The worse red shirt seasons might be Nico and Zain (don’t recall that they ever competed)

Reactions: mcpat
Saw a tweet that said Barr is 8-0 with five bonus wins. Upon closer review… that includes a dub over 3x NQ / R16 finisher / #13 Jacob Nolan.

Made me wonder… who has had the best redshirt season at PSU?

Unfortunately, the PSWC removed redshirt stats from the profiles, so this might be tougher to compare than it was a few months ago.

But I’ll submit Nolf for consideration. During his redshirt season, he had wins over:

National runner-up Realbuto
NQ Russell Parsons
NQ Greg Flournoy
NQ Brooks Martino
NQ Justin Staudenmayer
Returning R12 wrestler Tommy Gantt, who redshirted thst year but went 17-1 according to wrestiestat and 23-1 according to NC State and lost only to Nolf.

Nolf’s only loss was 7-4 to 3rd placer James Green.

That was all in the 1st semester; he didn’t wrestle that year after the Scuffle.

I saw Nolf wrestle his red shirt year at the East Stroudsburg Open. Penn State brought in large contingent of wrestlers. I was standing next to Cael when Nolf came over after he Teched a kid ( Cunningham was working his match). Nolf looked at Cael and said " I think I'm going to Tech everybody today". Coach got a sly smile on his face when he said it. It was young innocence with a lot of self confidence.

I saw Nolf wrestle his red shirt year at the East Stroudsburg Open. Penn State brought in large contingent of wrestlers. I was standing next to Cael when Nolf came over after he Teched a kid ( Cunningham was working his match). Nolf looked at Cael and said " I think I'm going to Tech everybody today". Coach got a sly smile on his face when he said it. It was young innocence with a lot of self confidence.
Not to change subject but reminds me of a story Askren told. I think it was Aidon Sinclair that Ben was coaching. Sinclair goes out and pins his kid in 15 seconds. Ben said he came off the mat, was as serious as can be and tells Ben, "I was working on being patient that match." Lol

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT