ADVERTISEMENT

Turn over in OSU coaching staff happening now

dridenbaugh

Apr 15, 2014
Tim Beck, former Co-OC and QB coach is headed to Texas.

Former 49ers /Philly QB coach (and ex BC OC) Ryan Day joins the staff as a coordinator/QB coach.

Former Indiana HC (and ex Northwestern/Oklahoma OC) .

Ed Warriner current OC/TE is staying but his role is not defined yet.

Greg Studrawa current OL coach status is unclear.

You can't accuse them of resting on their laurels. No matter how bad the loss to Clemson was, they had a damned good year. Apparently it wasn't good enough. Most teams would not be having wholesale coaching changes after a year like they had.

You can't accuse them of resting on their laurels. No matter how bad the loss to Clemson was, they had a damned good year. Apparently it wasn't good enough. Most teams would not be having wholesale coaching changes after a year like they had.
Did you see their offense the second half of the season?

Just sayin'. :)

Gonna' be interesting to see what happens to Barrett
Their last uber-recruit QB (Gibson) has already been moved to WR - with, this far, poor reviews

Do they go with Joe Burrow? An unheralded (relative to most OSU recruits) kid from the Krenzel mold (more so than Barrett or the kid before him)

OSU has some issues

Did you see their offense the second half of the season?

Just sayin'. :)

Gonna' be interesting to see what happens to Barrett
Their last uber-recruit QB (Gibson) has already been moved to WR - with, this far, poor reviews

Do they go with Joe Burrow? An unheralded (relative to most OSU recruits) kid from the Krenzel mold (more so than Barrett or the kid before him)

OSU has some issues

they are going to flip Hill from Maryland.....fits their mold very well.

they are going to flip Hill from Maryland.....fits their mold very well.
Flipping a UMd QB recruit ain't gonna fix what ails OSU

(And, didn't they do that LAST year? :) )

Last edited:
They are desperate for a QB

I trust that you have not seen their #1 OB prospect from Bishop Gorman high school In Las Vegas play that position. Jet like escapability, supremely confident and poised, played against top-flight competition. They think he's their QB of the future

I trust that you have not seen their #1 OB prospect from Bishop Gorman high school In Las Vegas play that position. Jet like escapability, supremely confident and poised, played against top-flight competition. They think he's their QB of the future
I know you weren't talking to me......but WTF

I'm aware of the kid they have coming in from Nevada (I'm sure a lot of folks are).....and maybe he'll be in the HOF one day

But that "write up". (Jet like escapability? Supremely confident? etc etc)

Seriously?

That is some Grade A Fan-Boying

Kid must be related to Jimmy Clausen (or Tate Forcier)

Congrats

Holy Shit!!

:)

If he is that good, Meyer has zero problem starting him over Barrett. Meyer is as win-at-all-costs as anyone in the nation. I promise you, class standing means nothing to Meyer. He's better? He starts game one next year, period.

Urbs doesn't get ulcers, he gives them. He may get a heart palpitation and bail out when the pipeline of recruits looks bad or the cheerleaders go public!

I didn't realize Tim Beck was their offensive coordinator. He is dreadful. Pretty sure Nebraska got rid of him. He was either there with Pelini or Callahan. Their offense is already better.

Maybe all these coaches are leaving because they're afraid they can't compete with Franklin...hell, that's what we heard last year about Penn State's coaches leaving....they couldn't compete with Meyer, ha!

Kevin Wilson as OC with OSU level talent instead of Indiana level talent could be lethal. Look at those mid-to-late 2000 Oklahoma teams whose offense was almost impossible to stop. OSU is not going anywhere. Until Urban packs up his bags they are the top dog in our division like it or not. Not saying we can't hang with them but they are not going away. They will be a handful next October at the Shoe.

Reactions: indynittany
Urban is the gold standard when it comes to what is most important in college football success.........RECRUITING! These moves are related to that and being able to tell recruits he has all the answers. He fixed the offense problem! James Franklin is his biggest concern........trust that this is fact. Urban knows that Franklin and PSU just had a great year to further close the gap in what is most important.

Urban is the gold standard when it comes to what is most important in college football success.........RECRUITING! These moves are related to that and being able to tell recruits he has all the answers. He fixed the offense problem! James Franklin is his biggest concern........trust that this is fact. Urban knows that Franklin and PSU just had a great year to further close the gap in what is most important.
He changed some of the parameters
Whether or not he "fixed it" remains to be seen (obviously)

He changed some of the parameters
Whether or not he "fixed it" remains to be seen (obviously)

Yep. It's just sales pitch for 17 year old's and their parents, if needed.. Give him credit for quick action to cover signing day in early February. He has been doing this for years. He may not have lost a single recruit anyway, but he leaves nothing to chance.

Reactions: bjf1991
Tim Beck, former Co-OC and QB coach is headed to Texas.

Former 49ers /Philly QB coach (and ex BC OC) Ryan Day joins the staff as a coordinator/QB coach.

Former Indiana HC (and ex Northwestern/Oklahoma OC) .

Ed Warriner current OC/TE is staying but his role is not defined yet.

Greg Studrawa current OL coach status is unclear.
A run of success like that is going to draw interest from other teams in regards to coaches.
2-3 years down the road same thing could happen at PSU.

A run of success like that is going to draw interest from other teams in regards to coaches.
2-3 years down the road same thing could happen at PSU.
THIS YEAR, the coaches in question were not "coveted"........ They were fired

It is not like when Hermann or Ash left OSU

So JT remains, a new OC enters with a different philosophy. Square peg and a round hole? Any similarities to the situation at PSU when CJF came on board? Just asking.

I like the idea of our competing for recruits with the guy who rang in the "culture of fear" at indiana.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
THIS YEAR, the coaches in question were not "coveted"........ They were fired

It is not like when Hermann or Ash left OSU
Don't think that's the case with Beck, anyway. Got a slightly better job with Texas from Hermann. And Fickel got a HC job too. Still, Meyer isn't afraid to make changes. Neither is Franklin, it seems. It will be a fun ride the next few years.

Yep. It's just sales pitch for 17 year old's and their parents, if needed.. Give him credit for quick action to cover signing day in early February. He has been doing this for years. He may not have lost a single recruit anyway, but he leaves nothing to chance.
Have no idea of the real politics going on inside the coaches room, but I feel like Meyer has been tinkering with the offensive playcalling since Hermann left, and has not been satisfied with the results. I would have to think that Beck to Houston was already in the works before the bowl game, but I would imagine a goose egg on the scoreboard either confirmed the decision or made it less of an actual decision.

Meyer constantly has turnover with his assistant coaches, which is good and bad. In most instances, it's because he has brought in very good coaches and they are hired away, which has to be expected. Does anyone think if PSU's offense continues to have such success that Moorhead won't take a nice head coaching job in the next couple of years? But because of the expected turnover, I think Meyer also is constantly on the lookout for someone to bring in when the vacancy occurs. It's like recruiting for coaches.

Don't think that's the case with Beck, anyway. Got a slightly better job with Texas from Hermann. And Fickel got a HC job too. Still, Meyer isn't afraid to make changes. Neither is Franklin, it seems. It will be a fun ride the next few years.
Wasn't thinking about Fickel (the O guys were the ones I had in mind)
It's certainly possible Fickel moved on his own accord - though his history w Meyer is no secret, nor was the situation w Schiano coming in.

Beck?

He was kicked off the island. No doubt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT