ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN has Penn State #4 in Way-Too-Early 2017 Top 25

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
4. Penn State
i

2016 record: 11-3, 8-1 Big Ten
Returning starters: 9 offense, 7 defense, 2 special teams

Key losses: C Brian Gaia, WR Chris Godwin, DE Evan Schwan, LB Brandon Bell, SS Malik Golden, OT Paris Palmer, DE Garrett Sickels

Outlook: The Nittany Lions' dramatic turnaround in 2016 -- they won their final eight regular-season games and beat Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship game -- should serve as a big springboard to 2017. Leading receiver Chris Godwin opted to leave early for the NFL draft, but most of Penn State's starters on offense will return, including star tailback Saquon Barkley and quarterback Trace McSorley. Both will be top Heisman Trophy candidates. Plus, PSU will get back a few offensive linemen who were hurt for the stretch run. Four of the defense's most productive players are departing -- defensive ends Evan Schwan and Garrett Sickels, linebacker Brandon Bell and strong safety Malik Golden -- but everyone else is expected back. The Nittany Lions will have to navigate their way through a difficult Big Ten road schedule that includes trips to Iowa, Northwestern, Ohio State and Michigan State.

6. Ohio State
i

2016 record: 11-2, 8-1 Big Ten
Returning starters: 9 offense, 8 defense, 0 special teams

Key losses: C Pat Elflein, CB Gareon Conley, RB Curtis Samuel, WR Noah Brown, S Malik Hooker, LB, Raekwon McMillan, P Cameron Johnston, K Tyler Durbin

Outlook: Even after the Buckeyes' unsightly 31-0 loss to Clemson in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, there's no debate they were probably a year ahead of schedule in 2016. Even after losing 12 players to the NFL draft, including 10 who were selected in the first three rounds, coach Urban Meyer guided the Buckeyes to the College Football Playoff for the second time in three years. With nine starters coming back on offense and eight on defense, Ohio State looks loaded for 2017. Quarterback J.T. Barrett must improve dramatically, and the Buckeyes must improve at wide receiver. Co-offensive coordinator Tim Beck is leaving for Texas, which might be the first of a few moves on Meyer's staff. Former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson has reportedly been hired to replace Beck, and Ryan Day will be the new quarterbacks coach. OSU plays a nonconference game against Oklahoma and Big Ten road contests at Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan.

12. Michigan
i

2016 record: 10-3, 7-2 Big Ten
Returning starters: 4 offense, 1 defense, 0 special teams

Key losses: WR Amara Darboh, WR Jehu Chesson, OT Ben Braden, G Kyle Kalis, OT Erik Magnuson, TE Jake Butt, RB De'Veon Smith, LB/RB Jabrill Peppers, DE Chris Wormley, NT Matthew Godin, DT Ryan Glasgow, DE Taco Charlton, LB Ben Gedeon, CB Jourdan Lewis, SS Dymonte Thomas, FS Delano Hill, CB Channing Stribling

Outlook: The Wolverines are losing 10 starters on defense, their top two receivers, an All-American tight end and a starting tailback. Therefore, it would be an understatement to say Jim Harbaugh is facing a massive rebuilding job in his third season as coach of his alma mater. But Ohio State's Urban Meyer faced a similar reboot this past season and still guided the Buckeyes to a spot in the CFP. The good news for the Wolverines: Quarterback Wilton Speight was better than expected in his first season as a starter. On defense, linebacker Mike McCray and end Rashan Gary will lead what figures to be a very young unit. The Wolverines open the season against Florida in Arlington, Texas, and will play Big Ten road games at Penn State and Wisconsin (Ohio State travels to Michigan).

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-seminoles-headline-way-too-early-top-25-2017

Reactions: Bob78
Way too early playoff next year:
1. USC
2. Florida St.
3. Oklahoma (on bogus reputation of a win in the shoe)
4. Penn State

No SEC

Much better than the odds I just saw. Anytime PSU is projected ANYTHING ahead of OSU and Michigan, I'll take it!

Reactions: Nit16
Much better than the odds I just saw. Anytime PSU is projected ANYTHING ahead of OSU and Michigan, I'll take it!

I wish we played Michigan earlier in the season. They can project a starting DL, but after that the depth is completely frosh just about. They have no idea who is going to start at offensive tackle. They have Newsome penciled in and the poor guy is still trying to learn how to walk again. I've seen Michigan fans reference the score of our game about a billion times. Our stadium for that game is going to be howling.

Reactions: Zenophile
I wish we played Michigan earlier in the season. They can project a starting DL, but after that the depth is completely frosh just about. They have no idea who is going to start at offensive tackle. They have Newsome penciled in and the poor guy is still trying to learn how to walk again. I've seen Michigan fans reference the score of our game about a billion times. Our stadium for that game is going to be howling.

I agree...why can't PSU get so lucky to play Michigan when it's optimal for PSU? Regardless, Happy Valley will definitely be hopping on that day and I believe they will get payback.

In regards to all that Michigan vs PSU score talk. They are just grasping at straws after all the hype and expectations were through the roof all season. Lol then all those hopes and dreams got squashed like a bug.

Another thing, Ol Jim has to be wearing at least a little thin with these recruits parents???

I agree...why can't PSU get so lucky to play Michigan when it's optimal for PSU? Regardless, Happy Valley will definitely be hopping on that day and I believe they will get payback.

In regards to all that Michigan vs PSU score talk. They are just grasping at straws after all the hype and expectations were through the roof all season. Lol then all those hopes and dreams got squashed like a bug.

Another thing, Ol Jim has to be wearing at least a little thin with these recruits parents???

Looking forward to the game and giving the Michigan fans an enjoyable experience that night.

o-MICHIGAN-FAN-PEPPER-SPRAY-facebook.jpg

Reactions: PennState_one

a few points to consider:

1. nobody and I mean NOBODY at UM has Grant Newsome "penciled in" at OT next year. Most are glad to see the young man walking after such a severe injury. Your comment is totally misplaced. There is optimism for a possible return sometime during the 2017 season but not as a starter;

2. "Jim wearing thin on recruits and parents." Huh? Have you seen where UM ranks in recruiting? In particular, have you seen what UM has hauled in over the past 30 days? Not hard to argue they have had the most successful month of December recruiting of any team in CFB;

3. Harbaugh inherited some good players but not elte (with exception of Lewis and Peppers). He has gone 10-3 in his first two seasons. Pretty confident that Peppers and Butt were worth 1 point and they take down FSU if healthy. Also, talent level is improving markedly and will continue to do so under JH's watch While 2017 may offer some challenges, I think you're off your rocker if you think Michigan will take much of a step backward. Time will tell.

1. nobody and I mean NOBODY at UM has Grant Newsome "penciled in" at OT next year. Most are glad to see the young man walking after such a severe injury. Your comment is totally misplaced. There is optimism for a possible return sometime during the 2017 season but not as a starter;

2. "Jim wearing thin on recruits and parents." Huh? Have you seen where UM ranks in recruiting? In particular, have you seen what UM has hauled in over the past 30 days? Not hard to argue they have had the most successful month of December recruiting of any team in CFB;

3. Harbaugh inherited some good players but not elte (with exception of Lewis and Peppers). He has gone 10-3 in his first two seasons. Pretty confident that Peppers and Butt were worth 1 point and they take down FSU if healthy. Also, talent level is improving markedly and will continue to do so under JH's watch While 2017 may offer some challenges, I think you're off your rocker if you think Michigan will take much of a step backward. Time will tell.
As Jimma rolls to another third place finish.

Here are 3 writers at MGoBlog penciling in Newsome at OT.

http://mgoblog.com/content/week’s-obsession-my-kingdom-tackle

Adam: I kinda feel like they're in a dire emergency at tackle.

Seth: I didn't say it was unlikely.

Ace: Even if you pencil in Grant Newsome at LT, which is not a certainty, it’s hard to figure out who takes the other tackle spot aside from Cole. Bushell-Beatty just didn’t look viable this year.

Adam: I'm cautiously optimistic about a Newsome-Bredeson-Ruiz-Onwenu-Cole line. My optimism has quite a few caveats, though: Newsome healing quickly, Bredeson taking a step forward, Ruiz being what the scouting reports say he is, and the epic Onwenu v. Gary Christmas Camp battles being epic due to the competitiveness and not just the whole jeez-those-two-humans-are-built-like-supervillains factor.

Ace: I can see that line being good. Like you said, though, there’s a lot that needs to fall into place. Everyone who’s had a chance to look at him seems really high on Andrew Stueber.

Ace: Spanellis was reputed to be more of an inside guy and they’re in greater need of a young tackle to emerge. I think one of the freshman OTs would see the field before him. The other combination I think is a good possibility if things break right: Newsome-Kugler-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson. I know it’s not a certainty that Kugler even comes back. But he’s their only shot at not having a totally inexperienced guy (or JBB) in the starting lineup.

Seth: Kugler does have a bona fide start to his name. But I could see a Newsome-Ruiz-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson line, with Ruiz in an understudy role before sliding to center in 2018.

43 or so seniors? You're not the New England Patriots. You're taking a step back.

Agree with your post...UM is and will be a formidable opponent as long as Harbs is there...but have to disagree against FL. FL phoned in the fourth quarter and clearly dominated the game winning 27-15 early in the fourth..to suggest otherwise is to say that tOSU dominated UM....and Peppers being out seemed to be of his own choosing. Why would Harbs banish him to the press box?

I agree 100%. I don't see you falling much further back than third in the Big 10 East Division.

I agree 100%. I don't see you falling much further back than third in the Big 10 East Division.

LOL...perhaps you meant it that way but UM wouldn't be "falling back" to third, that's were they are today.

Ol Jim has been known to ruin his welcome everywhere he has been. Only time will tell, but I truly believe regardless of Michigan's current recruiting situation, it'll happen sooner than later.

Here are 3 writers at MGoBlog penciling in Newsome at OT.

http://mgoblog.com/content/week’s-obsession-my-kingdom-tackle

Adam: I kinda feel like they're in a dire emergency at tackle.

Seth: I didn't say it was unlikely.

Ace: Even if you pencil in Grant Newsome at LT, which is not a certainty, it’s hard to figure out who takes the other tackle spot aside from Cole. Bushell-Beatty just didn’t look viable this year.

Adam: I'm cautiously optimistic about a Newsome-Bredeson-Ruiz-Onwenu-Cole line. My optimism has quite a few caveats, though: Newsome healing quickly, Bredeson taking a step forward, Ruiz being what the scouting reports say he is, and the epic Onwenu v. Gary Christmas Camp battles being epic due to the competitiveness and not just the whole jeez-those-two-humans-are-built-like-supervillains factor.

Ace: I can see that line being good. Like you said, though, there’s a lot that needs to fall into place. Everyone who’s had a chance to look at him seems really high on Andrew Stueber.

Ace: Spanellis was reputed to be more of an inside guy and they’re in greater need of a young tackle to emerge. I think one of the freshman OTs would see the field before him. The other combination I think is a good possibility if things break right: Newsome-Kugler-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson. I know it’s not a certainty that Kugler even comes back. But he’s their only shot at not having a totally inexperienced guy (or JBB) in the starting lineup.

Seth: Kugler does have a bona fide start to his name. But I could see a Newsome-Ruiz-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson line, with Ruiz in an understudy role before sliding to center in 2018.

what am I missing? "Cautious optimism," and "even if you pencil in Grant Newsome...." is hardly the same as "penciling in."

Games are won and lost on the field. It's a bit laughable to be talking smack about Harbaugh. In 2 years he has 20 wins and a January 1st bowl win over SEC East Champ Florida. 4 of his 6 losses over that time span all occurred when UM had lead in final minute. So they are very, very close and much improved. Over same period of time, PSU has 9 losses and 0 bowl wins... and not to mention double digit losses on the field to Michigan of 28-16 and 49-10.

Clearly both teams are headed in right direction which is very good to see if you like the traditional powers of CFB.

what am I missing? "Cautious optimism," and "even if you pencil in Grant Newsome...." is hardly the same as "penciling in."

Good god are you a moron.

Adam: I'm cautiously optimistic about a Newsome-Bredeson-Ruiz-Onwenu-Cole line.

Ace: The other combination I think is a good possibility if things break right: Newsome-Kugler-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson.

Seth: Kugler does have a bona fide start to his name. But I could see a Newsome-Ruiz-Cole-Onwenu-Bredeson line.

All three writers pencil in Newsome.

Games are won and lost on the field. It's a bit laughable to be talking smack about Harbaugh. In 2 years he has 20 wins and a January 1st bowl win over SEC East Champ Florida. 4 of his 6 losses over that time span all occurred when UM had lead in final minute. So they are very, very close and much improved. Over same period of time, PSU has 9 losses and 0 bowl wins... and not to mention double digit losses on the field to Michigan of 28-16 and 49-10.

Clearly both teams are headed in right direction which is very good to see if you like the traditional powers of CFB.
Penn State has a Big Ten championship.

The good part about this (if it holds through the start of next season) is the BIG has 3 teams in the top 10 and 4 in the top 12. It now becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the BIG is a strong conference, BIG teams will get more credit than deserved with a win among those 4 teams, and they will be hurt less by a loss than deserved. Much like the SEC has been in the past.

Also, the SEC only has one team in the top 10, with the ACC, PAC, and Big 12 with 2 teams each.

ESPN has FSU at #2. I doubt that FSU is their real #2, they are their early promotion #2 for their pre-season #1 vs #2 opening week matchup. Have to sell you know.

6 losses vs. 9, 0 championships vs. 1, no sanctions vs. crippling sanctions...geez, I wonder who's doing a better job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT