ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel & Food ideas

It was an amazing trip. I was fully exhausted upon getting home and that was with cutting a couple things out but would do it again in a heartbeat. 3 rd time there and each time you see something new. I agree. Would love to stay in Akureyri a bit longer. Tons to see up north and all spread out so having multiple days would be great. A lot of it just can’t be appreciated without being there next to it. The falls, mountains, landscape is awe inspiring. Not getting our luggage till day 4 was not ideal but s**t happens. When tikk goes back for his photo heavy trip I’ll volunteer to be the driver again.

We are in Ocean Isle this week. My wife gets to stay with the kids next week in North Myrtle where we’ve spent a lot of time. Any recommendations for up this way? We don’t like big family outings since Covid. The kids hate going out to eat.

We are in Ocean Isle this week. My wife gets to stay with the kids next week in North Myrtle where we’ve spent a lot of time. Any recommendations for up this way? We don’t like big family outings since Covid. The kids hate going out to eat.
What kind of things are you looking for? I lived in Brunswick County for 4 years. No family outings or eating out? You can always go to the beach all day.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Headed to Bald Head Island, N.C. for the first time on Saturday. There are limited restaurants, etc on the island, but open to any insider info that might make it a better trip.

Headed to Bald Head Island, N.C. for the first time on Saturday. There are limited restaurants, etc on the island, but open to any insider info that might make it a better trip.
Bring your wallet. From the ferry to the shops, golf carts and restaurants they take advantage of it being on an island. The beach is very wide and windy. Great spot for kites and kite surfing. Southport has some good spots to eat and drink.

Reactions: nerfstate
Bring your wallet. From the ferry to the shops, golf carts and restaurants they take advantage of it being on an island. The beach is very wide and windy. Great spot for kites and kite surfing. Southport has some good spots to eat and drink.
Yeah, I'm aware and a bit annoyed about the impact this trip is going to have on the bank account (extended family decision).

And don't forget the nuclear power plant.

Suggestions on wineries, lodging, food?
j.r dill, silver springs, Lakewood, dr franks, boundrary breaks are a few good wineries.
cheese and wine Muranda cheese.
three brothers winery has warhorse brewing and its good.
Jerlandos is a good restaurant in Watkins glen. Good pizza and better Italian as well.
watkins glen harbor hotel is pricy but nice, booking.com will help you out too.

Suggestions on wineries, lodging, food?
j.r dill, silver springs, Lakewood, dr franks, boundrary breaks are a few good wineries.
cheese and wine Muranda cheese.
three brothers winery has warhorse brewing and its good.
Jerlandos is a good restaurant in Watkins glen. Good pizza and better Italian as well.
watkins glen harbor hotel is pricy but nice, booking.com will help you out too.
I second the suggestion of Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery. We have been friends of the family for many years. We would be in Key Colony Beach over Christmas and New Years together over the years. You have to use a pry bar to get words out of Frederick's mouth. Unless of course you bring up fishing in which case he will go on and on! They make some very good wines too.

I wanted to throw in a few bad wineries just for the experience.. To be clear I didn't.
I don't drink much wine unless I'm up there(or someone opens a bottle) but it's a great trip..

Heading to NY Finger Lakes region for a spur of the moment get away from the NC late summer heat wave. Any suggestions? Also thinking of the Adirondacks.
Great time of the year to visit Cooperstown, home of Ommegang Brewery. Oh, and some baseball hall of fame.

My family has a cottage on Cayuga Lake, and Liquid State Brewing Company is usually a fun place to grab a drink. Great view of the lake and they often have live music. Knapp Vineyard Restaurant is a nice place to grab a meal and they have a good winery there as well. O'Malley's in Interlaken is also a good place to grab a meal. You can also work your way down the lake and stop in for tastings. The Cayuga Lake Wine Trail is a great resource if you're looking to do that. Some I'd recommend are Buttonwood Grove, Goose Watch, Hosmer, Knapp, and Swedish Hill. It's been awhile since I've been up there, so I don't know some of the newer ones. But that area is one of my favorite areas in the world!

Generally, the process is to choose either Cayuga, Seneca, Canandaigua, or Keuka lake and plan two or three nights per lake depending on when you arrive and if there's enough time to make a day visiting the winery's. Drive up one side of lake and hit a bunch of winery's. Make sure to pack a cooler with cheese, meats, and crackers along with any support equipment like cheese knife, cutting board, etc. Many of these places are very small and you'll be sitting at picnic tables. Stay at the town on the North end of lake. Next day drive back via the opposite side to the Southern town. Depending on the lake you've chosen you won't be able to visit all the winery's on either side of the lake. If one looks crowded, it's no big deal to just continue on the road to next one. I've never actually counted but I'm sure there many more winery's on the west side of the lakes than the east side but the east side ones seem to be smaller and less crowded.

Also, there are many really nice hiking trails with water falls in the area if you need to give your liver a break. If you choose Seneca Lake you'll find some good BBQ at Nickel's Pit in Watkins Glen. If it's crowded ask to sit at the bar and you'll get in right away.

Do not expect Napa Valley as it's not even close, but it is very nice in it's own way.

Thanks everyone. I will be there 4 nights before moving on to Acadia in Maine. One more off the bucket list. I found a place on Seneca Lake. That will be our base of operations. How is the fishing this time of year?

I second the suggestion of Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery. We have been friends of the family for many years. We would be in Key Colony Beach over Christmas and New Years together over the years. You have to use a pry bar to get words out of Frederick's mouth. Unless of course you bring up fishing in which case he will go on and on! They make some very good wines too.
Don't worry. If I bump into him I will tell him I am @7brwnpsu in case I over imbibe. LOL.

a7a73b8e-d711-4e0a-bb7a-9a578e895c01_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Thanks everyone. I will be there 4 nights before moving on to Acadia in Maine. One more off the bucket list. I found a place on Seneca Lake. That will be our base of operations. How is the fishing this time of year?
I can't help with Finger Lakes fishing, but here are notes from our trip to Maine a few years ago.

Post in thread 'Junior Worlds - Finland' https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/junior-worlds-finland.179087/post-2904808

Post in thread 'Travel/Food Advice' https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/travel-food-advice.296632/post-5932143

The biggest changes are (1) Acadia now takes reservations for entry and for big attractions like Cadillac Mtn; (2) Chainsaw Ray has retired from performing but still runs his studio (with much of his gallery in the parking lot).

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
Generally, the process is to choose either Cayuga, Seneca, Canandaigua, or Keuka lake and plan two or three nights per lake depending on when you arrive and if there's enough time to make a day visiting the winery's. Drive up one side of lake and hit a bunch of winery's. Make sure to pack a cooler with cheese, meats, and crackers along with any support equipment like cheese knife, cutting board, etc. Many of these places are very small and you'll be sitting at picnic tables. Stay at the town on the North end of lake. Next day drive back via the opposite side to the Southern town. Depending on the lake you've chosen you won't be able to visit all the winery's on either side of the lake. If one looks crowded, it's no big deal to just continue on the road to next one. I've never actually counted but I'm sure there many more winery's on the west side of the lakes than the east side but the east side ones seem to be smaller and less crowded.

Also, there are many really nice hiking trails with water falls in the area if you need to give your liver a break. If you choose Seneca Lake you'll find some good BBQ at Nickel's Pit in Watkins Glen. If it's crowded ask to sit at the bar and you'll get in right away.

Do not expect Napa Valley as it's not even close, but it is very nice in it's own way.
Taughannock Falls State Park is definitely worth stopping off and seeing, especially if the area's been getting some rain.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Don't worry. If I bump into him I will tell him I am @7brwnpsu in case I over imbibe. LOL.

a7a73b8e-d711-4e0a-bb7a-9a578e895c01_text.gif
You bastard, I haven't found my Pennsylvania Drivers license since I saw you in Detroit.

My suggestions then stay at that little motel just south of North Allegheny, eat at the Ground Round on Rt 19 and then Rita's across from the school.

You were in Detroit in March, out west after that for 2 months and now the northeast. Are you going to leave anything to 82bordouex, spikingwhamo and me when your gone?

Asking for a friend.

Change of plans. Due to time constraints we are headed to the ancestral home of St. Joseph in western Michigan(instaed of Finger Lakes and Acadia). I know there are lots of breweries and wineries. Anyone ever been. Leaving Sunday for a week.

any can't miss restaurants, tap houses in Ashville, NC? Doing some R&R with the bicycle down there in the next few weeks...

any can't miss restaurants, tap houses in Ashville, NC? Doing some R&R with the bicycle down there in the next few weeks...
Not necessarily the coolest taproom, but Burial Brewing (in Asheville) makes some of the best hazy IPA's you'll find in NC.

Not necessarily the coolest taproom, but Burial Brewing (in Asheville) makes some of the best hazy IPA's you'll find in NC.

Thanks!! I'm a bit tired of IPAs (made a bunch of batches in the 90's) - but I do like a good stout (not imperial - would rather have a wine) or a clear, clean lager style (can't hide behind the hops)

Watch yourself in Asheville. I have lived about 90 minutes away for 5 years and every time I go there it gets worse. So now I just pick up my kegs for my kegerator and head to some of the many breweries on my way home. It has become the San Fran of NC. Homeless pan handlers accost people on a regular basis with no police intervention. Burial is a interesting place and I agree they brew great beer.

Reactions: d-1980
Thanks!! I'm a bit tired of IPAs (made a bunch of batches in the 90's) - but I do like a good stout (not imperial - would rather have a wine) or a clear, clean lager style (can't hide behind the hops)
There are a few other breweries (Wicked Weed, etc) within 100 yards or so of Burial.
Burial def had stouts and pilsners as well when I was there a few weeks ago.

Change of plans. Due to time constraints we are headed to the ancestral home of St. Joseph in western Michigan(instaed of Finger Lakes and Acadia). I know there are lots of breweries and wineries. Anyone ever been. Leaving Sunday for a week.
Is that Ban New York State issued on you still in effect?

Too bad you changed plans, I know a guy with a boat that could have smuggled you in under the cover of darkness.

Watch yourself in Asheville. I have lived about 90 minutes away for 5 years and every time I go there it gets worse. So now I just pick up my kegs for my kegerator and head to some of the many breweries on my way home. It has become the San Fran of NC. Homeless pan handlers accost people on a regular basis with no police intervention. Burial is a interesting place and I agree they brew great beer.

Agreed, Asheville has become a s=ithole of a city. It's very unfortunate, I will never go back, last time I was there with the family some drug addict hopped out from a store front and got in my wife and daughters face. Being 48 I still can't believe how fast I moved to end that threat. BTW the beer sucks at those breweries.

There are a few other breweries (Wicked Weed, etc) within 100 yards or so of Burial.
Burial def had stouts and pilsners as well when I was there a few weeks ago.
thanks all!! Of course sierra nevada is around the corner but since they stopped mass delivering their summer lager I've drifted away. We're staying out of town and actually do plan on bicycling a lot. Hincappie has his Domestique hotel down the road in SC... if anyone knows of good restaurants... :) thanks again everyone!

thanks all!! Of course sierra nevada is around the corner but since they stopped mass delivering their summer lager I've drifted away. We're staying out of town and actually do plan on bicycling a lot. Hincappie has his Domestique hotel down the road in SC... if anyone knows of good restaurants... :) thanks again everyone!
If you get the chance give the Tail of the Dragon a try. Everyone has to do it once.

thanks all for the input. Ate at the Red Stag Inn.. was ok. Drank way to many beers - few ESBs and some decent Octoberfests! Had bicycles in the Highlands area, Chimney Rocks, and Mt Mitchell. Decent exercise... missed a few other opportunities to be tourists.

Anywhere in Lubbock, TX that would have the Phillies and PSU football games on the TV this Saturday night?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT