ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Top expert has Penn State making deep run in the NCAA Tournament

i think he would have been thrown off the team and out of school at most other universities

it is way too sketchy for comfort and everyone remembers Baylor
at least suspended until the issue is resolved.

I see that Ja Morant, from NBA's Memphis team, is now in rehab after showing himself with a pistol.

i think he would have been thrown off the team and out of school at most other universities
Just like in 2000 when I heard from fans everywhere else that beating up a cop would get you kicked off of every other football team in the country. Joe let things play out with Rashard, and everything worked out for the best (and he was actually charged with some the crimes).

Just like in 2000 when I heard from fans everywhere else that beating up a cop would get you kicked off of every other football team in the country. Joe let things play out with Rashard, and everything worked out for the best (and he was actually charged with some the crimes).
i think this is way more serious, and yes a lot of people thought Joe should have suspended Casey

recall that Joe weirdly suspended Dan Connor half a season for prank phone calls 6 or 7 years later. the man made no sense towards the end

yes, it's so reassuring that he returned the gun he borrowed from a murderer
I put myself in his shoes (then again, I'm a 46 year old middle-upper class white guy that has never owned a gun)...

I'm catching a ride out with one of my friends on Friday as we're going to watch games in Philly...I often carry a gun, but leave the gun in his car as he heads out to dinner, and he drops me off at the bar I'll be at on South Street. I text him and say "there are a couple shady characters hanging around here, please make sure to let me know when you're here as I'd like to have my gun on me in case something gets crazy tonight". I go grab it from him...then, something goes down, I give the gun to my friend, he ends up trading gunfire with a guy, and someone in the other party dies.

Horrible situation all around. But, do you really find the initial guy at fault that returned my own gun to me, especially when I'm not even the one that fired it? Do you think the right move if your friend asks for his gun back because he feels like he needs it would be to ignore him or refuse to return it...and if you did, how would you feel if anything bad ended up happening to him that night and he didn't have it for protection when he asked for it?

I have little connection to the "gun culture", but if I did, I can't imagine not returning a gun to my friend that is it's rightful owner if he was in a situation where he felt that he needed it back.

And when it happens, those kids go through due process (well, at least the amount of due process that the University Kangaroo Courts allow). And, I'd doubt that they are expelling them for things that they've already been cleared for in the legal process, if the legal process did also play out, and if it was a potential law that was broken.

I'd have no issues with them suspending him pending further investigation (though if they had, he's likely back playing by this point). But I don't see how they could expel him because they feel like it and not following any formal process without opening themselves up to a big ole lawsuit.
Well they did nothing and then did nothing when they, according to their coach were doing a pre-game pat down routine for a month and a half after the murder. Then the media picked up on it and they decided that the kids including the one tied to the murder weapon couldn't just do anything that they want anymore in front of tens of thousands of fans and who knows how many in televised games.

I put myself in his shoes (then again, I'm a 46 year old middle-upper class white guy that has never owned a gun)...

I'm catching a ride out with one of my friends on Friday as we're going to watch games in Philly...I often carry a gun, but leave the gun in his car as he heads out to dinner, and he drops me off at the bar I'll be at on South Street. I text him and say "there are a couple shady characters hanging around here, please make sure to let me know when you're here as I'd like to have my gun on me in case something gets crazy tonight". I go grab it from him...then, something goes down, I give the gun to my friend, he ends up trading gunfire with a guy, and someone in the other party dies.

Horrible situation all around. But, do you really find the initial guy at fault that returned my own gun to me, especially when I'm not even the one that fired it? Do you think the right move if your friend asks for his gun back because he feels like he needs it would be to ignore him or refuse to return it...and if you did, how would you feel if anything bad ended up happening to him that night and he didn't have it for protection when he asked for it?

I have little connection to the "gun culture", but if I did, I can't imagine not returning a gun to my friend that is it's rightful owner if he was in a situation where he felt that he needed it back.
Now you are just making up strawman stories to try to convince yourself. None of what you typed actually happened. This is how you are twisting your mind to justify a conclusion you had before you know any facts.

Well they did nothing and then did nothing when they, according to their coach were doing a pre-game pat down routine for a month and a half after the murder. Then the media picked up on it and they decided that the kids including the one tied to the murder weapon couldn't just do anything that they want anymore in front of tens of thousands of fans and who knows how many in televised games.
The pat-down is a great thing to get outraged about...but I'm sure that no one gave it much thought until people did get outraged about it. And then, did they say "F it" and continue doing it? No, the coach addressed it and they stopped it. Who is really paying attention to the pregame introductions others than some of those in the arena...you'll never see them on TV outside of conference tournies or later rounds of the NCAAs.

Now you are just making up strawman stories to try to convince yourself. None of what you typed actually happened. This is how you are twisting your mind to justify a conclusion you had before you know any facts.
It's basically the middle-upper class middle-aged equivalent of what happened. Or are you saying that unless we use the same slang, there can't be any equivalence?

What in your mind happened that should have led to charges for Miller? What happened that was so much different from my story? What "facts" did I "twist"?

It's basically the middle-upper class middle-aged equivalent of what happened. Or are you saying that unless we use the same slang, there can't be any equivalence?

What in your mind happened that should have led to charges for Miller? What happened that was so much different from my story? What "facts" did I "twist"?
Your story is a fantasy that you concocted to try to relate to the situation. It isn't real. Let it go.

The pat-down is a great thing to get outraged about...but I'm sure that no one gave it much thought until people did get outraged about it. And then, did they say "F it" and continue doing it? No, the coach addressed it and they stopped it. Who is really paying attention to the pregame introductions others than some of those in the arena...you'll never see them on TV outside of conference tournies or later rounds of the NCAAs.
So you are cool with a wildly inappropriate pat down show in front of a basketball arena of people that according to the coach went on for a month and a half after one of the players performing the pat down stunt gave a murder weapon to the person who shot and killed a 23-year-old girl? That may be all good for your moral compass but it's pretty obvious that a large number of people have a major problem with it.

So you are cool with a wildly inappropriate pat down show in front of a basketball arena of people that according to the coach went on for a month and a half after one of the players performing the pat down stunt gave a murder weapon to the person who shot and killed a 23-year-old girl? That may be all good for your moral compass but it's pretty obvious that a large number of people have a major problem with it.
i guarantee this ends badly for Alabama. they are setting a ridiculous example for the rest of the team

Reactions: Online Persona
I wouldn't have given it a second thought until people started to have an issue with it. This "wildly inappropriate pat down show" lasted a second and was one of many gyrations in the whole routine that they teams use in introductions. I am glad they stopped doing it since it offended some.

So can you relate the real story, how it's different than mine, and what charge Miller should have been booked on?
We aren't trying to be the legal system without a trial. That isn't our place. But when something very inappropriate like this occurs, it is our moral obligation to call it out and not try to diminish or turn a blind eye to it. Have the courage to do what's right.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought until people started to have an issue with it. This "wildly inappropriate pat down show" lasted a second and was one of many gyrations in the whole routine that they teams use in introductions. I am glad they stopped doing it since it offended some.
It isn't that. It is that the "pat down" happened after he delivered a pistol that was used to shoot a young lady. I am not sure if it was TSA (I've never been patted down by the TSA) but if they don't understand how entirely inappropriate that was it is amazing. And I don't buy that the coach didn't know...somebody had to know. The AD wasn't crafting plays (and, I don't know any coach who is righting up plays 30 seconds before tip-off).

So I have to call BS on the entire thing. PSU would have suspended the kid until it was resolved. (and we all would have complained about that)

We aren't trying to be the legal system without a trial. That isn't our place. But when something very inappropriate like this occurs, it is our moral obligation to call it out and not try to diminish or turn a blind eye to it. Have the courage to do what's right.
Maybe consider having the courage to stand up for a kid that might not have actually done anything wrong when the rest of the world has their pitchforks out.

Or stand up for a coach that likely had no reason to know that his team was doing a pregame routine that some might find insensitive, rather than assume the worst in him and just declare that he's lying without any actual proof.

It isn't that. It is that the "pat down" happened after he delivered a pistol that was used to shoot a young lady. I am not sure if it was TSA (I've never been patted down by the TSA) but if they don't understand how entirely inappropriate that was it is amazing. And I don't buy that the coach didn't know...somebody had to know. The AD wasn't crafting plays (and, I don't know any coach who is righting up plays 30 seconds before tip-off).

So I have to call BS on the entire thing. PSU would have suspended the kid until it was resolved. (and we all would have complained about that)
Right, just like Joe would have suspended Rashard or Anwar until it was resolved.

Luckily, Joe did what he felt was right, and didn't give an F what the rest of the world thought.

I also remember Pat refusing to suspend Mike Watkins when most thought that he should, because he didn't think it was the right thing to do.

Right, just like Joe would have suspended Rashard or Anwar until it was resolved.

Luckily, Joe did what he felt was right, and didn't give an F what the rest of the world thought.

I also remember Pat refusing to suspend Mike Watkins when most thought that he should, because he didn't think it was the right thing to do.
maybe. but joe would NEVER let one kid pat down the other in pre-game in front of a national audience after having supplied a murder weapon to a friend. Curious, did the kid have a permit and was the weapon secured? Both of those laws may well have been broken and I am comfortable with the notion that I would have been charged in similar circumstances.

maybe. but joe would NEVER let one kid pat down the other in pre-game in front of a national audience after having supplied a murder weapon to a friend.
I can only laugh at the thought of Joe noticing something like that...like Nate Oats, Joe was focused on football as a game was getting ready to start.

And by the way, what "national audience" was this is front of?

I can only laugh at the thought of Joe noticing something like that...like Nate Oats, Joe was focused on football as a game was getting ready to start.

how about the OC, DC, position coach, AD, president.......fans.

Joe also refused to suspend those guys who got in a fight, and that wasn't really the right decision

In most states you can go to jail for loaning your gun to a friend.

Joe also refused to suspend those guys who got in a fight, and that wasn't really the right decision
Joe really didn't have a "one size fits all" policy...he based things off of what he thought of the kid, what he thought was best for him, etc. If it was a troublemaker, he'd run him. If he thought it was a good kid that made a bad decision or was getting a raw deal, he'd handle things how he felt was best and dealt with the criticism.

yes and no. the fight was started by a kid who barked at a girl and then ruined his/her phone. IIRC. The issue is when they went to go get the kid that started it, he wouldn't let them into the room. The players busted in causing triggering a breaking and entering arrest. The fight that went on inside the apartment was never resolved as to who started it.

Regardless, justice is never clean and clear. Eveyone has their side of the story. But this kid clearly should have been suspended for not only his part with a pistol but also the "pat down" before the game after the incident. It isn't about law but your program. Today, it clearly looks like Alabama is running a thug program for basketball and that isn't just my opinion but millions.

According to the coach, this was being done for a month and a half AFTER the murder took place. Take your pick of which national audience it would have occurred in front of.

According to the coach, this was being done for a month and a half AFTER the murder took place. Take your pick of which national audience it would have occurred in front of.
I’ve watched probably 600 basketball games this year (sorry, “season”)…until the Big Ten games on Wednesday night, I don’t think they once showed the player introductions. Pretty sure the “national audience” made it through unscathed.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I’ve watched probably 600 basketball games this year (sorry, “season”)…until the Big Ten games on Wednesday night, I don’t think they once showed the player introductions. Pretty sure the “national audience” made it through unscathed.
Right and I bet it would be difficult to find video of it anywhere because nobody sees it and nobody is paying attention generally. Of course with the news about Brandon Miller there was an increase in attention and somebody noticed the pregame pat down I believe because it was in Alabama’s social media. So it wasn’t just the kid or the coaching staff, nobody thought of it as offensive until it was pointed out because they were thinking of it in an innocent and fun way. They immediately stopped respectfully. As far as him playing, it sounds like he was completely cooperative and there were no charges of any wrongdoing. Judge and punish because of how something looks doesn’t seem like it should be the Penn State way especially after Joe and our football program were judged and punished in the past.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Hhhmmmn Bball started in what mid- late November? Four months or about 135 days. So you watched roughly four games per day every day…..including when there were about a hundred football games played. Unless you are paid full time as a writer, analyst, or some other position……l don’t think so. Doubt it was even half that..MAYBE a quarter of that.

Hhhmmmn Bball started in what mid- late November? Four months or about 135 days. So you watched roughly four games per day every day…..including when there were about a hundred football games played. Unless you are paid full time as a writer, analyst, or some other position……l don’t think so. Doubt it was even half that..MAYBE a quarter of that.
I have 4 TVs in my basement that I'm watching on at a given time (although if there is no game on a local channel, I'm only watching on 3 of them)...and I make a good portion of my income betting on basketball, so any day or night that there is a full card, I'm following it pretty closely (plus always have games recorded to have on in the background during the day). Outside of Penn State and NFL games, it's pretty much college basketball only from mid-November to now (although the World Cup did get in the way a bit this year). As you lay out those numbers, 600 is probably a conservative estimate. Between Wednesday and Sunday, I watched most of about 80-100 games (noon to 2am most days/nights).

• Wow
Reactions: Obliviax
I have 4 TVs in my basement that I'm watching on at a given time (although if there is no game on a local channel, I'm only watching on 3 of them)...and I make a good portion of my income betting on basketball, so any day or night that there is a full card, I'm following it pretty closely (plus always have games recorded to have on in the background during the day). Outside of Penn State and NFL games, it's pretty much college basketball only from mid-November to now (although the World Cup did get in the way a bit this year). As you lay out those numbers, 600 is probably a conservative estimate. Between Wednesday and Sunday, I watched most of about 80-100 games (noon to 2am most days/nights).
I believe it. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to college hoops. You make money betting on games?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Ok….. you need serious help! I know a couple good shrinks…..lol

We all have our one obsession. Could be worse. But I can’t imagine watching that much of any sport. Or even that much sports combined,

Joe really didn't have a "one size fits all" policy...he based things off of what he thought of the kid, what he thought was best for him, etc. If it was a troublemaker, he'd run him. If he thought it was a good kid that made a bad decision or was getting a raw deal, he'd handle things how he felt was best and dealt with the criticism.
I once met Rickey Sales at an Underpriveleged Youth Education/Recreation conference in Harrisburg. He got run, Bobby Engram was kept. I thanked Rick for his td vs ND.

Same crime, committed together, different outcomes.

I once met Rickey Sales at an Underpriveleged Youth Education/Recreation conference in Harrisburg. He got run, Bobby Engram was kept. I thanked Rick for his td vs ND.

Same crime, committed together, different outcomes.
And through it all, Ricky is still there on the sidelines often supporting PSU.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I can see us beating A&m, won't be easy. But Texas is on fire right now.

It will basically depend on PSU shooting. If they shoot well they can beat a lot of teams.

There's no other part of the PSU game you have to worry about -- they have played tough, physical basketball, they have great leadership, great coaching. They do not labor under great expectations. And they're healthy and playing their best basketball in years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT