ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Top expert has Penn State making deep run in the NCAA Tournament

I don't see it. TAMU is a really tough draw. Plus at a really weird time of night. PSU depends on their outside guard play. They simply MUST knock down 3s. It is anybody's guess on how they will react in this massive game and at a weird time of night. One can argue TAMU is in the same boat but they are far more experienced in big games than we are. I feel like PSU's success came after the pressure was off and they could say "Screw it, what do we have to lose?" It is going to be hard to have that attitude at this level. Regardless, nobody knows. It is so new, fresh and different.

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
I don't see it. TAMU is a really tough draw. Plus at a really weird time of night. PSU depends on their outside guard play. They simply MUST knock down 3s. It is anybody's guess on how they will react in this massive game and at a weird time of night. One can argue TAMU is in the same boat but they are far more experienced in big games than we are. I feel like PSU's success came after the pressure was off and they could say "Screw it, what do we have to lose?" It is going to be hard to have that attitude at this level. Regardless, nobody knows. It is so new, fresh and different.
FWIW, I think they can get past Texas A&M but have a hard time seeing them get by Texas. But as you said, they thrive off being that underdog.

FWIW, I think they can get past Texas A&M but have a hard time seeing them get by Texas. But as you said, they thrive off being that underdog.
Agreed. I am just looking at the records. I know little about TAMU and feel it is a 50/50 game. Texas, on the other hand, is a load.

Yeah, I’d love for it happen but I just don’t see it. I have a hard time seeing them get past A&M.

It looks like a good matchup but A&M has played better throughout the season. Plus the big talk of A&M fans now is how they were slighted with a lower seed after their coach launched into the selection committee last year. They’ll have a big chip on their shoulder heading into these games.

Reactions: Obliviax
Normally,I would give A&M a big advantage. Not only are they ranked higher than us but they have a lot of experience in the NCAAs. That experience is always a big plus in handling the hype, the pressures, the media demands on time, the crazy fans.

And often the team making its first appearance in ten years or more is just happy to be there and may not be as motivated. It’s like a first time Super Boel team being just happy to be there.

But this Penn State team is different. It is very senior laden meaning they all know it’s their one and only shot. Plus, many of these guys took a long and winding road having changed schools several times to get there. That kind of sacrifice and determination is difficult to quantify .

Not saying they will make a deep run. They have been given a difficult bracket starting off with A&M and then probably Texas. Just saying they have heart and it will be a cat fight.

Reactions: ryoder1 and psu00
Well, since nobody here expected them to get to the Madness, I am not surprised.

I doubt that players are offended by seeding as much as fans are. Players play. Fans on the other hand ...

I like watching the games...not so much listening or reading hyperbole.

It has been an unexpected edge of the seat ride for us. Can't beat that.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well, since nobody here expected them to get to the Madness, I am not surprised.

I doubt that players are offended by seeding as much as fans are. Players play. Fans on the other hand ...

I like watching the games...not so much listening or reading hyperbole.

It has been an unexpected edge of the seat ride for us. Can't beat that.
Probably happy to get in but I hope that they feel slighted by the seed. More fuel and they did deserve a better seed.

Normally,I would give A&M a big advantage. Not only are they ranked higher than us but they have a lot of experience in the NCAAs. That experience is always a big plus in handling the hype, the pressures, the media demands on time, the crazy fans.

And often the team making its first appearance in ten years or more is just happy to be there and may not be as motivated. It’s like a first time Super Boel team being just happy to be there.

But this Penn State team is different. It is very senior laden meaning they all know it’s their one and only shot. Plus, many of these guys took a long and winding road having changed schools several times to get there. That kind of sacrifice and determination is difficult to quantify .

Not saying they will make a deep run. They have been given a difficult bracket starting off with A&M and then probably Texas. Just saying they have heart and it will be a cat fight.
I like your positivity but someone else posted that TAMU feels slighted because their coach publicly called out the NCAA last year and got a horrible 7 seed and time as retribution. Their team will come out on fire. They lost the SEC tournament in the finals to Tenn (no NCAA bid) and then They lost the NIT by one point against Xavier. They lost 8 in a row last year after suffering some injuries (9 of 10 actually) while finishing 20-11 before the SEC tourney.

PSU has a shot to win but it all depends on their outside shooting. Outside shooting typically suffers as the game gets more physical (let the boys play) and kids get tight. I think the 3.5 point line is about right.

A&M has as much Tourney experience as we do.....None Unless its a transfer, they haven't been there since 2018

A&M has as much Tourney experience as we do.....None Unless its a transfer, they haven't been there since 2018
Well, NCAA tourney. They lost the NIT in the championship game last year to Xavier.

it doesn't sound like anyone thinks Texas A&M will be able to handle Pickett. obviosuly they need to play the game but i heard that from every analyst i saw on tv yesterday.

it doesn't sound like anyone thinks Texas A&M will be able to handle Pickett. obviosuly they need to play the game but i heard that from every analyst i saw on tv yesterday.
From I heard they don’t have a big guy…. which is our Achilles heal. We can play with anyone that doesn’t have a dominant big. So we have a serious shot and should be one hell of a game. Just hope our long distance bombers are more accurate this game than last.

Reactions: 81b&w
I’ve literally never heard fans complain about the time of a game, outside of west coast teams with an early start. What “retribution” exactly is there in playing at 9:55pm? The tv times are mostly driven by the networks.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I’ve literally never heard fans complain about the time of a game, outside of west coast teams with an early start. What “retribution” exactly is there in playing at 9:55pm? The tv times are mostly driven by the networks.
So the networks … sho seriously care about ratings….wanted a team that is essentially an East coast team to start at 10 PM?

Many fewer PSU fans will be there or watching it. We finally get to the tournament and they have made the worst possible location, time, and seeding for PSU. It's almost like retribution for PSU knocking out all the Big 10 tournament favorites and making Purdue appear to have only won with officiating help.

From I heard they don’t have a big guy…. which is our Achilles heal. We can play with anyone that doesn’t have a dominant big. So we have a serious shot and should be one hell of a game. Just hope our long distance bombers are more accurate this game than last.
bruce weber was really down on texas a&m. didn't seem like he thought they had seen a team like us. who knows, but, i trust him

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Many fewer PSU fans will be there or watching it. We finally get to the tournament and they have made the worst possible location, time, and seeding for PSU.
it is not the worst possible location or seeding

worst seeding would have been the play in game

worst location would have been sacramento

the team is used to going to iowa

honestly who the heck cares that it's a 9:55 game? we have 9 pm games during the season

Many fewer PSU fans will be there or watching it. We finally get to the tournament and they have made the worst possible location, time, and seeding for PSU. It's almost like retribution for PSU knocking out all the Big 10 tournament favorites and making Purdue appear to have only won with officiating help.
“Worst possible location “? Have you actually looked at the other locations?

Agreed. It is our big bombers agaisnt their's. It is a 50/50 chance to see who is better. Good teams can grind out games when the guards aren't performing. We don't have that option. It reminds me of the Cavs/Warriors game seven. With all of the big bombers (Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, LeBron James, Kyrie Irving) the game ended 93-89. Warriors Big Man, Dramont Green has 32 points while Curry and Thompson didn't break 20. For the Cavs, James had 27 but on 9 of 24 shooting (point were in the paint). irving had 26 on 10 of 23 (most were drives). They had to win ugly. Doesn't look like either team is good at winning ugly.

They are slotting in 16 different games each day…it’s not all about our game.
True....but it always feels like we get the worst slot. There are four games that day, we get the worst of the four. I haven't looked at the other brackets but my guess is that it is 7 vs 9, no marque or top-rated names. No Cinderella story.

Reactions: Online Persona
That’s only 4:30 on the west coast/5:30 Mountain time. Would have been much better as the late game.
Why? It is a prime time game for TV in the East (47% of USA viewership) and a good time for the kids to play 4:30. I'd much rather watch PSU at 7:35 pm than 10:00 pm.

yes that sucks. almost a home game for Boise and if they survive in the 2nd round they get UCLA also in Sacramento

they are not getting out of the 1st weekend
I see what you are saying. Short trip for Boise fans. A challenge with march madness is the fans don't really have time to react. Tough call for anyone wanting to go to Iowa when we didn't know a week ahead of time.

Why? It is a prime time game for TV in the East (47% of USA viewership) and a good time for the kids to play 4:30. I'd much rather watch PSU at 7:35 pm than 10:00 pm.
you know our game vs Northwestern on 3/1 started at 9:00 PM?

i don't think the team will have an issue with it

i personally don't have an issue staying up past 10 pm

Reactions: knickslions
it is not the worst possible location or seeding

worst seeding would have been the play in game

worst location would have been sacramento

the team is used to going to iowa

honestly who the heck cares that it's a 9:55 game? we have 9 pm games during the season
The conspiracies never end with this guy. The worst time would have been the first game of the day. This is actually a good time for the team as they are used to night games. He would find a way to say we got screwed if we were the 1 seed. For once it would be nice to see some excitement on the board as the chances of playing in this game looked dead two weeks ago. I have no problem watching a game at 9:55.

The conspiracies never end with this guy. The worst time would have been the first game of the day. This is actually a good time for the team as they are used to night games. He would find a way to say we got screwed if we were the 1 seed. For once it would be nice to see some excitement on the board as the chances of playing in this game looked dead two weeks ago. I have no problem watching a game at 9:55.
I mean, we landed in the second best slot from a TV perspective.

And we better hope we don’t make the National Title game, which starts after 9pm.

Reactions: knickslions
you know our game vs Northwestern on 3/1 started at 9:00 PM?

i don't think the team will have an issue with it

i personally don't have an issue staying up past 10 pm
OK. I work. So the game ending ~ at midnight isn't going to work well with my 6 am alarm.

Nor my 8 hour drive the next morning. Mother-in-law not in good health and we are headed there.
AcclaimedZestyFantail-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT