ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Dienhart of BTN picking Buffalo over PSU

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
He has it 21-20 Buffalo, and one of the other analysts is picking PSU to win 14-13. With rainy forecast, this has the makings of a very ugly game.

Reactions: Section118
Can u honestly blame him?
This is the most sorry excuse for an OL ever to grace a football field!

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Can u honestly blame him?
This is the most sorry excuse for an OL ever to grace a football field!

It's more than the OL. Did you watch the dropped passes? The passes thrown into the turf? The horrible play calling? And did you see the defense after Wartman left the game?

Reactions: m.knox
He has it 21-20 Buffalo, and one of the other analysts is picking PSU to win 14-13. With rainy forecast, this has the makings of a very ugly game.

If he is right, a nuclear meltdown on this board will happen.
If he is right, we probably won't win more than one game this year.
If he is right, JF may be carried out of town.

Even if he were half right, i.e. we win by 14-13, the melt down may happen. Folks will be screaming for JF's head.

You can always count on the big ten types for support when Penn State is down...... :(

Last edited:
Let's stop the panic. Temple is a top 25 team. The Lions will rout Buffalo and Rutgers.

Temple's defense is probably top 25. Their offense is pretty one dimensional, just better coaching. I think they'll move the ball better vs Buffalo. Unless its raining, it should be a 38-24 type game.

Buffalo's pretty good, no? Penn State is not very good. Anything is possible. Why do people take it personally. PSU is not very good.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Let's stop the panic. Temple is a top 25 team. The Lions will rout Buffalo and Rutgers.
Temple is not a top 25 team. They will prove that this week in Cincinnati. They will finish the season with at least 4 losses. Temple only looks like a top 25 team because of how poorly we played.

Almost can't wait for the "Buffalo is a top 35 team" after we lose to them.

By the way, IF we lose to them....1-11 here we come.

I ALMOST want to see it happen, if for no other reason we can stop using the term

"The Dark Years".

Because this will make "The Dark Years" look damn bright. Yes, that includes that
3-9 outfit in 2003....they won three games.

Why do you keep insisting that temple is a top 25 team? Where is this coming from??? Temple is top 100. They just happened to whip PSU last week. Doesn't mean they are going to run table

If it's going to rain on Saturday, here's my oversimplified gameplan for Saturday

Find the 5 "toughest" O lineman and put them where you think they belong. Take the next toughest O linemen and have him play TE. Start with the fullback and Lynch in the I formation and Hack under center. Take the two fastest WR and line them out wide. I'd then run power running plays and play action passes all game long. Of course, unlike Donovan, I'd switch up the formation now and then... My point is that against a team like Buffalo, our game plan shouldn't involve finesse or trick plays. It should be finding our edge and imposing our will upon them. See our enemies driven before us and hear the lamentation of their women. OK, maybe I got carried away, but that really has to be the attitude.

I'm not saying that our OL is going to be world beaters after a weeks reflection, but give them one job... maul the other team.

PSU will run all over UB.... I cant see this game being close... Losing to Temple sounds worse that what it really was... Temple is a decent team... Its more the way PSU lost that is getting peoples attention.

If it's going to rain on Saturday, here's my oversimplified gameplan for Saturday

Find the 5 "toughest" O lineman and put them where you think they belong. Take the next toughest O linemen and have him play TE. Start with the fullback and Lynch in the I formation and Hack under center. Take the two fastest WR and line them out wide. I'd then run power running plays and play action passes all game long. Of course, unlike Donovan, I'd switch up the formation now and then... My point is that against a team like Buffalo, our game plan shouldn't involve finesse or trick plays. It should be finding our edge and imposing our will upon them. See our enemies driven before us and hear the lamentation of their women. OK, maybe I got carried away, but that really has to be the attitude.

I'm not saying that our OL is going to be world beaters after a weeks reflection, but give them one job... maul the other team.

Exactly! I found myself saying during the Temple game "why not just go back to the old Paterno 4 yards and a cloud of dust?" If we can't do anything else, why not just see if we can push forward and control some clock and let our defense rest up? I mean, really, any offensive system that is not our current system would be 1000% more effective, but if our line sucks, and our QB struggles with reads, just run the damn thing and have play action off of it. Tell CH, "you have 1 f-ing read, fake the hand-off, whip your head around and throw the ball to Hamilton or Godwin.....you have 2.5 seconds to get on your horse and make this happen, you think you can do this big boy?" 2 run plays and one play action on every series out. Mix up which down and distance you run play action. Tell the O-line "Dont worry about communication, don't worry about what is for dinner, don't worry about anything but hitting the guy in front of you and driving him back a couple yards." Yeesh, this is football, not trigonometry.

I totally agree. They need to take the ball out of Hack's hands and keep trying to pound it. This team needs to learn how to be physical on offense.

I, too, believe Buffalo will win tomorrow. After watching how the team played against Temple I don't know how anybody can think think they'll be able to block any defensive line on any team they play.

I have the score 16-13 in favor of Buffalo, though.

You can always count on the big ten types for support when Penn State is down...... :(

No kidding. Seriously, who gives a flying-phuck what these tools from "b1g Turd Network" have to say? And how is that "evidence" that this has the makings of an ugly game as the OP contends? The OP sounds like a shill and mouthpiece for the b1g Turd anti-PSU opinions (actually I think "wet dreams" would be a better description - these douche-bags at the b1g Turd Network would like nothing better than their heavily biased desired-outcomes to "come true"). At the end of the day, the "predictions" (again, "wet dreams" would be a better description) of these low-class b1g Turd Network douches has nothing - ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING - on how the game will IN FACT so, I'm baffled why the OP is so enamored with their predictions and believes that them making these prognostications has any bearing on this "having the makings of an ugly game"? No, maybe their "predictions" are just further evidence of what raging anit-PSU douche-bags the b1g in general is including their Network and its mouthpieces.

Exactly! I found myself saying during the Temple game "why not just go back to the old Paterno 4 yards and a cloud of dust?" If we can't do anything else, why not just see if we can push forward and control some clock and let our defense rest up? I mean, really, any offensive system that is not our current system would be 1000% more effective, but if our line sucks, and our QB struggles with reads, just run the damn thing and have play action off of it. Tell CH, "you have 1 f-ing read, fake the hand-off, whip your head around and throw the ball to Hamilton or Godwin.....you have 2.5 seconds to get on your horse and make this happen, you think you can do this big boy?" 2 run plays and one play action on every series out. Mix up which down and distance you run play action. Tell the O-line "Dont worry about communication, don't worry about what is for dinner, don't worry about anything but hitting the guy in front of you and driving him back a couple yards." Yeesh, this is football, not trigonometry.
Spot on...someone posted that Palmer was having to learn 13 "protections". That's ridiculous for a patchwork OL. If the 13 number is true, Mistah Hand must have his head where the sun don't shine.

Temple is not a top 25 team. They will prove that this week in Cincinnati. They will finish the season with at least 4 losses. Temple only looks like a top 25 team because of how poorly we played.

^ this (sadly) Almost the exact same Temple D we faced last week averaged 2.3 sacks/game last season, and that was playing in a weak AAC conference. Penn State gave up almost 8 more sacks than what they average. That stat is mind boggling and nauseating.

Last edited:

We are dead last in the Big Ten power rankings. Put your finger around that. 14th out of all 14 teams. Below Indiana, below Purdue, below Illinois. I was at the game last week in Philadelphia, and after watching some tape of the other three, we deserve to be number 14.
Right now, a team like Illinois would blow our socks off. Indiana and Purdue would give us all we could handle. Combine that with Buffalo's A+ coaching staff and impressive showing last week, and the fact that Dienhart thinks the game will be as close as he does shows that he is being more than fair. Last week's performance was the most disorganized piece of coaching crap I have ever seen at ANY level.

Reactions: jim cummings
Spot on...someone posted that Palmer was having to learn 13 "protections". That's ridiculous for a patchwork OL. If the 13 number is true, Mistah Hand must have his head where the sun don't shine.

Sorry, but I don't think remembering 13 protections is out of line for a college student to know.

^ this (sadly) Almost the exact same Temple D we faced last week averaged 2.3 sacks/game last season, and that was playing in a weak AAC conference. Penn State gave up almost 8 more sacks than what they average. That stat is mind boggling and nauseating.

Right. We put up something like 30 against Temple last season. We got worse, the line got worse. I looked up Temple's O-Line. Their starters are a bunch of unranked and 2 star players. We have much more talent on our O-Line yet their line played MUCH BETTER than ours. Goes to show that Captain Twitter is doing a horrible job with the O-Line unit.

Ummm... I think he was committed to them...

Well, when he's visiting Penn State and their fans are lamenting SC's efforts to retain his commitment, he's not *that* committed. Bottom line is when he indicating he was wavering, Steve Spurrier was more interested in working on his short game.

I like Dan's thinking here. The Lions sure as hell had better not be running the read option next Saturday. (I say that only because a poster here - can't recall exactly who - said, in the wake of last Saturday's loss, that PSU had been running some read option. (?!) I really hope that is not true.)

Temple's defense is probably top 25. Their offense is pretty one dimensional, just better coaching. I think they'll move the ball better vs Buffalo. Unless its raining, it should be a 38-24 type game.

Temple had a pretty highly ranked defense last year and everyone back. moreover, they were playing hurt a lot last year. when you have a good defense with a lot of experience (and desire) couple with a good coach, they can employ a lot of blitzing packages that the typical defense won't be able to muster on opening day.

doesn't change my opinion about what i saw saturday, but that's a pretty good team we played.

Right. We put up something like 30 against Temple last season. We got worse, the line got worse. I looked up Temple's O-Line. Their starters are a bunch of unranked and 2 star players. We have much more talent on our O-Line yet their line played MUCH BETTER than ours. Goes to show that Captain Twitter is doing a horrible job with the O-Line unit.

Not to mention 250 yards on the ground last season compared to 80 this year (139 if you don't factor in the 10 sacks). I don't think there's any question that Penn State's oline has gotten worse, and that is something that no excuses (sanctions or otherwise) can justify.

Reactions: kybuckeye2
Not to mention 250 yards on the ground last season compared to 80 this year (139 if you don't factor in the 10 sacks). I don't think there's any question that Penn State's oline has gotten worse, and that is something that no excuses (sanctions or otherwise) can justify.

Yet I STILL see the sanctions excuses.
"Blah blah blah BOT"
"Blah blah blah less scholarship players"
"Blah blah blah give it time"

Its ridiculous. We have more talent on our O-Line than Temple. That's a FACT. If we get run over by Bosa and OSU, fine, I can live with that. Getting blasted by TEMPLE? UN FREAKING ACCEPTABLE.

Yet I STILL see the sanctions excuses.
"Blah blah blah BOT"
"Blah blah blah less scholarship players"
"Blah blah blah give it time"

Its ridiculous. We have more talent on our O-Line than Temple. That's a FACT. If we get run over by Bosa and OSU, fine, I can live with that. Getting blasted by TEMPLE? UN FREAKING ACCEPTABLE.

Well, I'd say we have more innate talent on our o-line than Temple, but there is also taught talent, which our o-line is sorely lacking. (Exhibit A, just watch Palmer.)

Reactions: kybuckeye2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT