ADVERTISEMENT

Today was CJF’s best coaching job.....next week will be fascinating

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
So today was pretty amazing. 35 guys sick all week, a walk on QB ran the offense in the last practice. Guys in and out all game. Putting in a QB that hasn’t taken a snap in two years. And gets a shut out, 28 point victory. Hell of a job by the entire staff.

A lot of questions. Did he put in all those new O linemen because the starters were ill and weak? Or did they just play poorly and needed replaced? Same with some d players? New receivers....others ill or because they practiced with Veilleux a lot and had better timing? Should he have made some of these changes earlier in the season?

Since some of these new guys played so well, who starts next week? Did they earn a start or is it just that Rutgers was a poor test for the new guys? Even if the old starters are back, will he make substitutions more quickly if one or more struggle against Sparty?

Next week will be fascinating to watch just to see. Who plays and who doesn’t.

This flu is wreaking havoc on college campuses, and college athletics. Word in street is that entire Dexep lacrosse team sent home. Rutgers womens VB forfeited all this weekend’s games. And PSU football adds to the examples.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and alton11
So today was pretty amazing. 35 guys sick all week, a walk on QB ran the offense in the last practice. Guys in and out all game. Putting in a QB that hasn’t taken a snap in two years. And gets a shut out, 28 point victory. Hell of a job by the entire staff.

A lot of questions. Did he put in all those new O linemen because the starters were ill and weak? Or did they just play poorly and needed replaced? Same with some d players? New receivers....others ill or because they practiced with Veilleux a lot and had better timing? Should he have made some of these changes earlier in the season?

Since some of these new guys played so well, who starts next week? Did they earn a start or is it just that Rutgers was a poor test for the new guys? Even if the old starters are back, will he make substitutions more quickly if one or more struggle against Sparty?

And MSU got completely toasted as they couldn’t handle tOSUs deep game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that and who plays QB for us

No way of knowing for sure, but Walkers effort last week looked like he had quit.

I’m fine with Tengwall playing and Walker never taking another snap at PSU.

Lol. That guy hasn't had a good in game coach job his entire career.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
We played Rutgers for crying out loud all of a sudden Franklin is a good coach? What a joke
Didn’t say he was a good coach. Iowa and Illinois, along with lots f ups over several years, still sting. Said this was his best job to date. When you have 30-35 guys out sick all week, and a walk on is the only QB you have to practice with, when your starter is getting an IV before game time, when many players were getting IVs Thur-Sat, when other guys are injured....and you win 28-0 that’s pretty damn good.

Players see what’s going on. Some get down. First game players get nervous. Guys playing out of position play slow and make mistakes. And when the game starts out poorly, and the starting QB gets hurt, and a QB that hasn’t taken a snap since his last high school game two years ago......to rally and excel is pretty damn good.

******Oooohhhh, it only Rutgers!***you whine. Yeah, the Rutgers that beat Indiana 38-3 last week. The Rutgers that beat Illinois and lost to Mich by one TD. The Rutgers that could have become bowl eligible if they won today. And the Rutgers that could become bowl eligible by beating Maryland this coming week.

Beating them after all this team has been through was tough. All week, the brains on the board were predicting a close game ...and they had no knowledge of how ill the team was. None of them knew we would be using an all new O line for over half the game. And they had no idea that Clifford would be gone in the first quarter. None of them predicted a 28-0 shutout with the third string QB playing 3/4s.

Next week is another week. Another game. Another test. like I said in the OP it will be fascinating to see how he handles the team, the individual players, and the game. Who knows, maybe we will look back next year and say that this game will go down as the one that turned things around .

Last edited:
This game was a great coaching effort by Franklin but more importantly it is an indictment of the complete ineptitude of Rutgers. Earlier in the season I thought that perhaps Schiano was turning the program around, and today I learned that their program is still garbage and probably will always be garbage. When you’re down 35 players to illness and still wipe the floor with the opponent that is embarrassing.

While our record is what it is. This team really should be a 10-1 or 9-2 team. We are hardly in deep shit.
We are 7-4 (should be’s don’t count) and what I said is if we are excited about beating a dreadful Rutgers team we are in deep shit. Not sure why that was confusing to you

Didn’t say he was a good coach. Iowa and Illinois, along with lots f ups over several years, still sting. Said this was his best job to date. When you have 30-35 guys out sick all week, and a walk on is the only QB you have to practice with, when your starter is getting an IV before game time, when many players were getting IVs Thur-Sat, when other guys are injured....and you win 28-0 that’s pretty damn good.

Players see what’s going on. Some get down. First game players get nervous. Guys playing out of position play slow and make mistakes. And when the game starts out poorly, and the starting QB gets hurt, and a QB that hasn’t taken a snap since his last high school game two years ago......to rally and excel is pretty damn good.

******Oooohhhh, it only Rutgers!***you whine. Yeah, the Rutgers that beat Indiana 38-3 last week. The Rutgers that beat Illinois and lost to Mich by one TD. The Rutgers that could have become bowl eligible if they won today. And the Rutgers that could become bowl eligible by beating Maryland this coming week.

Beating them after all this team has been through was tough. All week, the brains on the board were predicting a close game ...and they had no knowledge of how ill the team was. None of them knew we would be using an all new O line for over half the game. And they had no idea that Clifford would be gone in the first quarter. None of them predicted a 28-0 shutout with the third string QB playing 3/4s.

Next week is another week. Another game. Another test. like I said in the OP it will be fascinating to see how he handles the team, the individual players, and the game. Who knows, maybe we will look back next year and say that this game will go down as the one that turned things around .
The coaching staff is in a no win situation with the Franklin hating morons here. When they win, the opponent is garbage. When they lose, it’s Armageddon. Never mind that with all of the injuries and bad breaks, they’ve continued to bust their ass recruiting and never lost the team.

These people are never truly happy unless they’re miserable.

Last edited:
And MSU got completely toasted as they couldn’t handle tOSUs deep game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that and who plays QB for us
The Illinois game should have been this game as well.

Sparty has a terrible pass defense and O$U lit them up. We should have some success passing whether it is Clifford or Veilleux. Can we muster stops to their run game? They had about 60 yards today and Walker had 25 yards on only 6 carries.

The coaching staff is in a no win situation with the Franklin hating morons here. When they win, the opponent is garbage. When they lose, it’s Armageddon. Never mind that with all of the injuries and bad breaks, they’ve continued to bust their ass recruiting and never lost the team.

Yep. You know already that if we beat MSU these same people will be saying "oh, they got destroyed by OSU, they're garbage." You said it right...they're miserable.

I do think these rabid anti-Franklin posters are the minority. It's just that they infest every thread and it makes it seem like they're larger in number. I think most of us are quite capable of evaluating and commenting on individual moments, i.e., the Illinois game was a complete and total failure of preparation by Franklin and his staff and the final offensive series last week vs. Michigan was a complete head-scrarcher. But today's effort in having this team prepared given the health challenges was superb, irrespective of the quality of the opponent. Why it seems to physically pain some posters to credit Franklin at all is really weird.

My belief is that if healthy Clifford will definitely be the starter. One acorn doesn't make a fall. CV did a nice job under the circumstances, but over reaction good or bad is pretty much what drives this site.

Yep. You know already that if we beat MSU these same people will be saying "oh, they got destroyed by OSU, they're garbage." You said it right...they're miserable.

I do think these rabid anti-Franklin posters are the minority. It's just that they infest every thread and it makes it seem like they're larger in number. I think most of us are quite capable of evaluating and commenting on individual moments, i.e., the Illinois game was a complete and total failure of preparation by Franklin and his staff and the final offensive series last week vs. Michigan was a complete head-scrarcher. But today's effort in having this team prepared given the health challenges was superb, irrespective of the quality of the opponent. Why it seems to physically pain some posters to credit Franklin at all is really weird.
Players are not perfect, coaches are not perfect, officials are not perfect......only keyboard coaches never err.
Every contest provides a winner and a loser......fans get to revel in victory and assign blame for defeat. All without leaving the recliner.

Players are not perfect, coaches are not perfect, officials are not perfect......only keyboard coaches never err.
Every contest provides a winner and a loser......fans get to revel in victory and assign blame for defeat. All without leaving the recliner.
Keyboard coaches definitely err.

But they are NOT ALWAYS WRONG. And the coaches are not always right.

But when keyboard coaches are right, its because no one can always be wrong.
Well, we should evaluate each proposal by itself.

My issue with you is that you seem to believe that we must "trust the coaches" and not think for ourselves.

Keyboard coaches definitely err.

But they are NOT ALWAYS WRONG. And the coaches are not always right.
Coaches err. They are in the arena, its competitive. If they win.....they are "right."
Bottom line there are what,65 power 5 football jobs in the entire nation? These coaches have decades of experience and are paid millions. There are tens of millions of keyboard coaches and they are paid nothing for their genius. But have fun.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
My belief is that if healthy Clifford will definitely be the starter. One acorn doesn't make a fall. CV did a nice job under the circumstances, but over reaction good or bad is pretty much what drives this site.
I think its more like at 7-4, people have seen about all they want to out of Clifford. Some of his issues are injury related, but some are he just hasn't played that well. It's time to move on from the guy. He will get the remaining games, but that's it.

Reactions: kickerinaz
Well, we should evaluate each proposal by itself.

My issue with you is that you seem to believe that we must "trust the coaches" and not think for ourselves.
You certainly should think for yourself. It doesn't have any impact on what actually happens on gameday though.

I think its more like at 7-4, people have seen about all they want to out of Clifford. Some of his issues are injury related, but some are he just hasn't played that well. It's time to move on from the guy. He will get the remaining games, but that's it.
Yep, one game against Rutgers is enough to elevate CV.....its not like Clifford ever had a good game.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

Close hurts, especially when you figure a reasonable number will go your way randomly...not so with Iowa or Ohio State, even Illinois or Michigan. I think what this year showed: 1-You need back up QB who can get thrown in at a moment's notice in a big game to not just hold a lead but to maintain or even extend it (not saying Christian V is the next great PSU SB, but it was a pleasant surprise what less than one year under Yurcic did, ie progress-or in the case of previous highly recruited QBs didn't do, ie regress), 2- Even being not at deep as OSU, with an injury disadvantage, effectively no running game, and a potentially game-changing referee surprise call-typical referee behavior in PSU-OSU games, had them reeling and more than within reach,
Not sure whether to count Illinois or Michigan in the toss up to the 'uncontrolled', as coaching strategy and play calling had as much effect as the usual toss-up random out-of-your-control things.

Overall, other than with the QB at Iowa, and RB through the year, I think the team responded well with injuries-DE early, DT with Mustipher, and OL this week-maybe it should have happened earlier.

The portal proved surprising if not vital for certain position-especially DL, and somewhat the kick coverage (FSU DB Lyton), not so much with the OL or RB-a little disappointing with opportunities in big games. I think this leverages Franklin's strength in recruiting/relationships-he builds them quick and early, but they can somewhat suffer with competition in the long term-which is less of a factor with the portal. I would only add I'd to see more activity with the portal in the OL, LBs, and possibly WR...but I realize it is situational-who of us knows what brought these transfer players to look at PSU or tipped their decisions.

I, like some on this board, get more than a little anxiety from some of Franklin's sideline mannerisms, seeming to get too high (vs act like you've been there) or too low/silent (giving the appearance of being disengaged, or not even having a clue). It may or may not have any effect on the game or the team's image, but it is an expectation I have for a team with the resources they have and a coach being compensated as he is and having been in this program this long....and more importantly my team. I do realize this may be who Franklin is as a person, he does wear his emotions on his sleeve and at his core as he mentions often is a relationships person....I believe Joe was very similar (to my aggravation it wasn't all about winning and many times he erred with his principles vs doing everything to win contrary to the current mass media slant), but maybe had more a drive to teach the players both the sport and life.

So a mixed bag for the rest of the year, and going into next year. Let's see what they do with the rest of the year, get some experience for the younger players, see what the coaches do with the portal and early entry freshman, and wait for some surprises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
The Illinois game should have been this game as well.

Sparty has a terrible pass defense and O$U lit them up. We should have some success passing whether it is Clifford or Veilleux. Can we muster stops to their run game? They had about 60 yards today and Walker had 25 yards on only 6 carries.
The weather, Clifford's health, and the coaches' lack of trust in the backups set the tone for Illinois. The OSU-MSU game showed what both teams are really, as will the OSU-MSU. In the end it will show Penn State was within a hair of OSU when you combine talent AND performance, vs MSU which consistent with their brand wilts in the long run and Michigan-overrated, overrated, overrated! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to both games next week.

Somewhere between the extremes of rose-colored glasses that deny obvious issues on the one hand and on the other hand constant pissing, moaning, and coach-bashing, there lies a reasonable middle ground with room for discussion and disagreement.

And somewhere between the extremes of thinking the coach controls outcomes like a master chess player and is personally responsible for every win and loss on the one hand and on the other hand thinking the coach has no significant influence on the team's readiness or performance, there lies a reasonable middle ground with room for discussion and disagreement.

This has definitely been a year where the reasonable middle ground has been a good place to be.

Good list of questions. At least the coaches no know they can substitute freely.

Somewhere between the extremes of rose-colored glasses that deny obvious issues on the one hand and on the other hand constant pissing, moaning, and coach-bashing, there lies a reasonable middle ground with room for discussion and disagreement.

And somewhere between the extremes of thinking the coach controls outcomes like a master chess player and is personally responsible for every win and loss on the one hand and on the other hand thinking the coach has no significant influence on the team's readiness or performance, there lies a reasonable middle ground wiwth room for discussion and disagreement.

This has definitely been a year where the“ reasonable middle ground has been a good place to be.
What the hell are you talking about? Google translate didn’t show anything. Babble too. Asked friends and family, no one knows what that means. This is America, man!

Seriously, glad we won and 9 was a pleasant surprise but that Rutgers offense was putrid. If we have to get excited over beating teams like this we are in deep shit
I was excited and we are in deep shit.

Reactions: db90
Close hurts
Truth. If you think Penn State has caught the short end in the close department, you should watch some of Nebraska's games from this year. They lost to UM by 3, Oklahoma and Wisconsin (yesterday) by a TD each, lost to MSU by 3 and I could go on. At 1-7, Nebraska is sitting in the B1G West basement, but they have still scored more points than their opposition this year (huge wins over Northwestern, Buffalo, and Fordham helped). They are a dangerous team but they also tend to self-destruct. The defense is inconsistent at best. Martinez can throw a great pass one minute and an interception the next. Frost is a frustrating coach. Really weird decisions sometimes (remind you of another coach, hmm?).

It does give me a bit more appreciation for Franklin as at least Penn State's defense is reasonably solid. I don't get the strange decisions, playcalling, and questionable clock management, but perhaps it's endemic to "modern football coaching." But I would rather have Franklin than Frost, and feel that Penn State is in a much better position than Nebraska.

And somewhere between the extremes of thinking the coach controls outcomes like a master chess player and is personally responsible for every win and loss on the one hand and on the other hand thinking the coach has no significant influence on the team's readiness or performance, there lies a reasonable middle ground with room for discussion and disagreement.

This has definitely been a year where the reasonable middle ground has been a good place to be.
May I add that every game features 2 teams, both who employ expert coaching staffs. Add variables such as turnovers, weather, illness, injuries and officials calls......none of which impact Madden NFL coaches.

+1. Will also be interesting to see how healthy MSU is.
They are seriously banged up. The most difficult injury to overcome may be the blow to their self esteem. I can't imagine the game being anything but a nail biter. If anyone wins by 2 scores, my money would be on the good guys.

Reactions: Jerry and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT