ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

bdgan

May 29, 2008
It's difficult to predict who returns because existing players could enter the portal but here goes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

QB: Allar, Pribula, & Smolik all return
RB: Allen & Singleton return
WR: I think Lambert-Smith, Wallace, Cephas, McClain, and Saunders can all return
TE: Johnson, Warren, and Dinkins can all return but my guess is that at least 1 moves on
OL: Nourzad, Wallace, Wormley, and Fashnau will all be gone. That leaves Nelson, Ioane, Birchmeier, and Williams.

DE: Isaac, Vilbert, and Chop will be gone. That leaves Sutton, Fisher, and Vanover
DT: Beamon & Ellies are gone. Izzard, Ford, Durant, and Van den Berg
LB: Jacobs gone. Carter, King, and Rojas
CB: Dixon, Hardy, and King will be gone. That leaves only Cam Miller and some young kids.
S: Ellis is gone. Will Jaylen Reed come back? Wheatley & Winston.

K: We need 2 new kickers

So it looks like a solid offense except our OL will be young and the existing WRs returning might not be the best. The defense could be good except for CB.

It's difficult to predict who returns because existing players could enter the portal but here goes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

WR: I think Lambert-Smith, Cephas, McClain, and Saunders can all return
TE: Johnson, Warren, and Dinkins can all return but my guess is that at least 1 moves on
OL: Nourzad, Wallace, Wormley, and Fashnau will all be gone. That leaves Nelson, Ioane, Birchmeier, and Williams.

DE: Isaac, Vilbert, and Chop will be gone. That leaves Sutton, Fisher, and Vanover
CB: Dixon, Hardy, and King will be gone. That leaves only Cam Miller and some young kids.

So it looks like a solid offense except our OL will be young and the existing WRs returning might not be the best. The defense could be good except for CB.
None of this matters with the current coaching staff (with the exception of defense if Diaz stays). They simply do not develop players during the time the kids are in school. It’s Big12 offensive philosophy that is just complete garbage. It’s gimmick offensive football.

WR: I think Lambert-Smith, Wallace, Cephas, McClain, and Saunders can all return

Allen or Singleton is moving on..........

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Dude, a solid offense vs. UCLA, USC, Wisky, O$U, and Washington? No way. Need to overhaul the offensive staff. Bring back Moorehead.

Reactions: blair10

Has ven de berg played this year? Most improved player of the off season

The offense will suck again. Franklin has to completely overhaul the staff on that side of the ball which will lead to a bunch of guys transferring out.

If I’m Franklin, I’m backing up a truck of cash to keep Manny around. Because losing both coordinators this off-season could mean really dark days ahead in the new BIG.

Reactions: icecreamjunkie
The offense will suck again. Franklin has to completely overhaul the staff on that side of the ball which will lead to a bunch of guys transferring out.

If I’m Franklin, I’m backing up a truck of cash to keep Manny around. Because losing both coordinators this off-season could mean really dark days ahead in the new BIG.
Too bad Franklin won't give up a $million from his contract to help.

Dude, a solid offense vs. UCLA, USC, Wisky, O$U, and Washington? No way. Need to overhaul the offensive staff. Bring back Moorehead.
UCLA, USC, and definitely Wisconsin should be beatable. Wisky got manhandled by lowly Northwestern today. I don't know what's going on there with Fickell.
OSU and Washington will most likely be losses, although both games are at PSU. USC is at USC, that can be a tough place to play.
I would guess 9-3, although I could see 8-4 or even 7-5 if there are key injuries or the wheels otherwise come off. If Franklin pulls his head out of his posterior, he could go 11-1.

UCLA, USC, and definitely Wisconsin should be beatable. Wisky got manhandled by lowly Northwestern today. I don't know what's going on there with Fickell.
OSU and Washington will most likely be losses, although both games are at PSU. USC is at USC, that can be a tough place to play.
I would guess 9-3, although I could see 8-4 or even 7-5 if there are key injuries or the wheels otherwise come off. If Franklin pulls his head out of his posterior, he could go 11-1.

Washington’s going to take a step back next year. That said it’s the game after osu, and, penciling in the osu loss means we should pencil in the let down game for the following week.

If I'm Allar I'm in the portal and going to Washington or Oregon or USC or somewhere that will let me excel.

Then people can see Beau play and be happy too

Reactions: hoflane
Moorehead was OK with the RPO but Allar isn't a runner like McSorley.
Joe M would figure out ways to put any QB with talent to do things in position for success. Maybe not his ideal QB, but he’d do better than most unless Allar just isn’t very good.

• Love
Reactions: blair10
Washington’s going to take a step back next year. That said it’s the game after osu, and, penciling in the osu loss means we should pencil in the let down game for the following week.

I wouldn't write you guys off in that game just yet.

We lose Harrison, Egbuka, Stover, and Henderson. That's a ton of firepower. Granted, McCord returns and I expect Carnell Tate to become our next stud WR. True freshman Jeremiah Smith is arguably the top WR prospect since Julio Jones, and we have some solid RB and WR prospects. But we also lose a TON on defense.

Next year *could* be a bit of a transition year for us. And by that, I mean a 10-2 type of season. @ Oregon, @ PSU, and Michigan are our big games. I'd bet we lose 2 of those 3 -- probably @ Oregon and @ Penn State.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

We lose Harrison, Egbuka, Stover, and Henderson. That's a ton of firepower. Granted, McCord returns and I expect Carnell Tate to become our next stud WR. True freshman Jeremiah Smith is arguably the top WR prospect since Julio Jones, and we have some solid RB and WR prospects. But we also lose a TON on defense.

Next year *could* be a bit of a transition year for us. And by that, I mean a 10-2 type of season. @ Oregon, @ PSU, and Michigan are our big games. I'd bet we lose 2 of those 3 -- probably @ Oregon and @ Penn State.

We’re retaining Franklin and probably losing Diaz. OSU is a presumed loss until proven otherwise.

It's not impossible but I'm not sure how you could truly be worried about Penn State at this moment.
Oregon and Michigan will be breaking in new QBs as well

Shelton also returns on O line. Played as a true frosh last year and did well. Lost out to Wallace, which is part of our issue. If 66 can't beat out 74 will it be an upgrade? I hope so but logic not in our favor (yet).

yurcich would have looked good with Barkley and Gisecki and Godwin
I’m not so sure.

This assumes that there weren’t situations where those guys were put into situations where they were able to do their things.

I mean, it’s not just stats with Yurcich. It’s the disorganization, the wrong routes, the running into heavy boxes, the screens that don’t even look repped.

Not saying these guys would put up Gesicki numbers or Saquon numbers. But let’s not act like they’ve had terrible players. Top 3 round tight end last year, center, probably the top lineman in Fashanu. They’re not with SB and Trace, but there are pieces there. Certainly to achieve more than what they’ve done, and certainly a better OL of individual talent.

I don't know what's going on there with Fickell.

Fickell gets overrated because he's an OSU guy. He won at Cincy, but so did his predecessors. He owns the worst OSU season in 40+ years. He went from getting Ohio kids who OSU overlooked in their national search to one of the least talent rich areas that exists. It's not like he was saddled with the previous regimes players of years past due to the portal.

He's an average coach who was lucky to get out of Cincy before the schedule got tougher.

Yep. I just think there’s a canyon of difference in how they look on O. I mean, against any good defense, they don’t just not score. They look lost.

And with Joe they could never get a yard or two to close out and win a game when they needed it. They both had warts that cost the team winnable games.

Joe’s offense was just more exciting and the defense wasn’t as good as what’s been squandered the last two years

And with Joe they could never get a yard or two to close out and win a game when they needed it. They both had warts that cost the team winnable games.

Joe’s offense was just more exciting and the defense wasn’t as good as what’s been squandered the last two years
Joe’s offense was much better. And there’s no way in heck they look as bad this year if he were running the offense.

I mean in 8 quarters against your only real competition they scored 1 TD until the other side was conceding yards to kill time. I just think he could have gotten at least 2. Likely more. It’s a very low ceiling.

Reactions: hoflane
Franklin has seemed unhappy with Yurcich at times this year and seemed to throw him under the bus today. Would anyone be surprised if he moved on from him? Regardless, there’s always a surprise staff departure in the offseason.

It’s an absolute must to get receiver help in the portal, offensive line help, and the ever elusive DT help.

Reactions: donboy6499

Same as this year and the year before that

As he always does he will fix the wr problem and then fail somewhere else. I'm tired of this fraud.

"except for CB" That could be a big problem with the way Diaz plays Defense. Tough to play that blitzing style without really good man to man cover guys. Of course Diaz will probably be gone too.

9-3 won’t cut it during the new 12 team playoff era. PSU will have trouble with all five of those teams especially at the LOS.

This week is going to be ugly in Happy Valley. It is time for Pat Kraft to step up and take control of the football program. Work with Franklin (who isn't going anywhere for years) to right the ship. We likely finish 10 and 2 and outside of the NY6 come bowl season without a lot of help which is probably a good thing as we can go out on a winning note. What level of shake up does Kraft force and how much is he going to be involved in shaping the team. Unless Diaz leaves, I think he limits it to offense but Franklin won't be left to guide the ship by himself as he has in the past. It is time for the adults in the room to help CJF move forward.

Reactions: RickinDayton

there is no way Ohio St loses to PSU. The only way that can happen is if Franklin does not return, and we know that won't happen.

9-3 won’t cut it during the new 12 team playoff era. PSU will have trouble with all five of those teams especially at the LOS.

He’s 2-1 vs top 15 pac 12 teams (beat #11 and #8, lost to #9). usc/Washington/ucla aren’t going to be top 5 teams next year. Probably not top 10.

I’m honestly less concerned about the newcomers with the caveat that Washington is the game after OSU which brings its own set of challenges assuming OSU goes to script.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT