ADVERTISEMENT

To Pennstate85, with apologies...

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Sorry to the rest of the board...

PS85, I saw a post on another board, and am not able to find it...here's the answer you were searching for, re. the rules around the 5-year clock;

For D1, the rulebook starts out with the following, “For purposes of starting the count of time under the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the student’s first day of classes for that term.”

That’s followed by a few exceptions (Service Exception [includes missions], Pregnancy Exception, or an Athletics Activities Waiver [Olympics, World Cup, Pan Am Games, etc., etc.]). These all pause the clock.

Then the part that is most misunderstood, and that is the Delayed Enrollment language, which basically allows the student-athlete a one year period AFTER High School before enrolling full-time, and starting the clock. After that one year, the following language for wrestling kicks in, “The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate eligibility for each calendar year after the one-year time period (the next opportunity to enroll after one calendar year has elapsed)” referring to the one year Delayed Enrollment.

Of course, this is the NCAA we’re discussing, and there are waivers to the rules...like the 55-year old running back at Georgia State University in 2016, who was cleared by the NCAA to play.

So, bottom line...the 5-year clock starts when you enroll full-time, but you must do that no later than 1 year after High School unless one of the exceptions is used.

Why are you apologizing?
Board clutter. Generally like substantive info, discussion-worthy topics, and reading alternative views. This one is so focused, it's not really worthy of its own thread, but it was the best way to communicate.

It's not impossible that I go off my own rails though, and mention food I eat when anyone with a certain "k" in their name show up, or mention a trip to Europe, or whatever...maybe even share a cryptic message about something regarding the program...one never knows :).

I'm glad you apologized, you rarely bring anything worthwhile to the board, after all.

LOL, Roar, you are a joy!

I might be making some baby back ribs tomorrow night. Porterhouse steaks on the menu for Saturday, along with mint juleps!

Reactions: RoarLions1
Roar!!!

Thank you very much. I was disappointed that you hadn't seen the plea, as it was just me against an entire forum over yonder. Are you as surprised as me that more knowledgeable posters don't know this rule? I thought everyone knew that with a few exceptions in a couple areas, you have no more than six years from the end of high school to complete four years of competition. If you don't gray shirt out of high school, you have five years to do it.

Anyway, thank for verifying my sanity. It's been a long week already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT