ADVERTISEMENT

Three (3)-Time Champions

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
Nolf, Joseph and Nickal all have the opportunity to become 3 time champions this season. That would surpass Penn State's current all time total of two (Ruth & Retherford). Have to wonder if a team has ever had three guys become 3 x champs in the same season before? It's kind of crazy when you think about it considering most programs don't have three (3)-time champions in their history and those guys represent 30% of the current lineup!

Nolf, Joseph and Nickal all have the opportunity to become 3 time champions this season. That would surpass Penn State's current all time total of two (Ruth & Retherford). Have to wonder if a team has ever had three guys become 3 x champs in the same season before? It's kind of crazy when you think about it considering most programs don't have three (3)-time champions in their history and those guys represent 30% of the current lineup!
Would Cenzo then become an under-rated 3-time champion? ;)

REDONE, adding early years...

Two guys from the same team have only once become 3-timers in the same season, way back in 1939 for Oklahoma State. Never three in the same year.

-- There are forty-five (45) 3-time NCAA Champions, all-time (this does not include the Junior year of 4-timers)
-- Only six times in history, have more than one wrestler ended as 3-timers in the same year, two in 1939 (same school, Ok St), three in 1950, two in 1957, 2 in 1978, three in 1983, and two in 2018.
-- In 1992 and 2014, two wrestlers became 3-timers, from different teams, and in each case, a Junior was involved who became a 4-timer (Smith in 1992, Stieber in 2014)
-- Oklahoma State leads with fifteen 3-timers all-time (with 9 from 1950 or earlier)
-- Iowa has six, UNI and Oklahoma both have three, and Iowa St., PSU, and Pitt have two each
-- Adding 4-timers, and Oklahoma St. adds one, as does Iowa St., and tOSU makes the list with two (schools with two or more 3 or 4-timers)

Last edited:
Probably, but he shouldn't be with 2 finals victories over IMar.
You know someone who initially goes with 'worst 4 timer ever" is also going to qualify the first statement with "never had to beat anybody."

Would Cenzo then become an under-rated 3-time champion? ;)

Probably, but he shouldn't be with 2 finals victories over IMar.

You know someone who initially goes with 'worst 4 timer ever" is also going to qualify the first statement with "never had to beat anybody."
Not sure we should be out here, given the winkie face the first poster added. On a serious note, history is only half written for young Cenzo, I'll let him prove his early detractors wrong on the mat.

Two guys from the same team have never become 3-timers in the same season, let alone three.

-- There are twenty-eight (28) 3-time NCAA Champions, all-time (this does not include the Junior year of 4-timers)
-- Only twice in history, have more than one wrestler ended as 3-timers in the same year, three in 1983 (wrestlers from Iowa, Iowa St, and Oklahoma), and two in 1978 (wrestlers from Wisconsin and Oklahoma State)
-- In 1992 and 2014, two wrestlers became 3-timers, from different teams, and in each case, a Junior was involved who became a 4-timer (Smith in 1992, Stieber in 2014)
-- Iowa leads with six 3-timers all-time, Oklahoma State has five
-- Iowa State (3), Ohio State (2), and Penn State (2) are the only other teams with more than one 3-or-4-timers

SLee is going to add to this record I predict. But the take away is there is another record PSU will take/share with the hawks and pokes.....When Cael learns to coach, the other teams better watch out

#whosnext

Did anyone else listen to the latest Flo podcast? I could have sworn they stated Joe Lee has a good chance of taking Cenzo's spot! What else does VJ need to do to get some respect?! A two time champ and they predict he will get beat out by a true freshman! Now, I was out on a run with the dog, so apologies if I misunderstood...

Not sure we should be out here, given the winkie face the first poster added. On a serious note, history is only half written for young Cenzo, I'll let him prove his early detractors wrong on the mat.
He may have a couple curious loses here and there, but he really shows up on the big stage and has fun wrestling

Did anyone else listen to the latest Flo podcast? I could have sworn they stated Joe Lee has a good chance of taking Cenzo's spot! What else does VJ need to do to get some respect?! A two time champ and they predict he will get beat out by a true freshman! Now, I was out on a run with the dog, so apologies if I misunderstood...
they were saying that in the same vain as being underestimated. They weren't slammin him..

Reactions: PSUer1989
The winky face, IMO, tells me Roy knows the silly stuff is almost certainly going to follow if Cenzo successfully claims 4 titles.

Everybody is aware Cenzo is only half way there. So we can either tiptoe around the 4 time subject as we would an on going no hitter or embrace it as a real possibility and occasionally be willing to discuss it.

The winky face, IMO, tells me Roy knows the silly stuff is almost certainly going to follow if Cenzo successfully claims 4 titles.

Everybody is aware Cenzo is only half way there. So we can either tiptoe around the 4 time subject as we would an on going no hitter or embrace it as a real possibility and occasionally be willing to discuss it.
I'll add that Cenzo is one of the coolest guys in the room. Unshakeable!

I may be fos, but there seems to be a different approach from Cenzo in dual meets and early season tourneys and when it counts the most (NCAA's). During the regular season, he is not afraid to cut loose and try different things, which pay off at the end of the season because he learned what he shouldn't do against tough opponents when everything is on the line. I believe this is something that the coaches encourage to all of the PSU wrestlers (experiment to get better). It doesn't hurt that he has those extraordinary hips and core strength.

I may be fos, but there seems to be a different approach from Cenzo in dual meets and early season tourneys and when it counts the most (NCAA's). During the regular season, he is not afraid to cut loose and try different things, which pay off at the end of the season because he learned what he shouldn't do against tough opponents when everything is on the line. I believe this is something that the coaches encourage to all of the PSU wrestlers (experiment to get better). It doesn't hurt that he has those extraordinary hips and core strength.
I don't know if I would say he approaches things differently. His RSFR year he just simply kept getting better week after week.

For a program that gets by without any coaching, the kids in the program make some serious self adjustments and self improvements. By the time NCAAs started he had wrestled almost everybody he needed to beat and had discovered he was good enough. So no matter the situation he just kept wrestling until he beat them.

His RSSoph year he lost a dual he physically dominated and lost to Imar by letting him dictate a deliberate pace. At nationals his approach was very cerebral and against Imar he just wrestled and told Imar, hey keep up if you can. Imar couldn't.

He is a kid who has already won 2 titles, yet continues improve. Tough combination.

There is no way they said this. Nobody would be that stupid. At least I refuse to believe nobody is that stupid.

He may have a couple curious loses here and there, but he really shows up on the big stage and has fun wrestling

VJ doesn't even have a couple of curious losses, though. He has six total losses.

Isiah Martinez - 3 losses
Isaac Jordan - 1 loss
Alex Marinelli - 1 loss
Keaton Subjeck - 1 loss

The Subjeck loss is from his second dual as a RSFR. It was very early. The other losses aren't really curious. I guess you can make a case for Marinelli the way the match went, but Martinez, Jordan, and Marinelli are all blue chip guys.

They were totally joking of course

Two guys from the same team have never become 3-timers in the same season, let alone three.

-- There are twenty-eight (28) 3-time NCAA Champions, all-time (this does not include the Junior year of 4-timers)
-- Only twice in history, have more than one wrestler ended as 3-timers in the same year, three in 1983 (wrestlers from Iowa, Iowa St, and Oklahoma), and two in 1978 (wrestlers from Wisconsin and Oklahoma State)
-- Iowa leads with six 3-timers all-time, Oklahoma State has five
-- Iowa State (3), Ohio State (2), and Penn State (2) are the only other teams with more than one 3-or-4-timers

You missed a school. Iowa State Teachers College (now Northern Iowa) had three 3-timers: Bill Koll (longtime Penn State coach), Bill Nelson and Keith Young.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
You missed a school. Iowa State Teachers College (now Northern Iowa) had three 3-timers: Bill Koll (longtime Penn State coach), Bill Nelson and Keith Young.
Thank you...just noticed I only went back to mid-50's. Will correct later.

CORRECTED. Oklahoma State, with their success in the early years, added to their numbers dramatically.

Last edited:
VJ doesn't even have a couple of curious losses, though. He has six total losses.

Isaac Jordan - 1 loss
Alex Marinelli - 1 loss
Keaton Subjeck - 1 loss

The Subjeck loss is from his second dual as a RSFR. It was very early. The other losses aren't really curious. I guess you can make a case for Marinelli the way the match went, but Martinez, Jordan, and Marinelli are all blue chip guys.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Imar is possibly the greatest two time champ ever. He has 5 victories over Cenzo and Nolf combined. That's darn impressive in my book. All other wrestlers combined have, what, two? And Cenzo's two finals victories were incredible.

Man, Penn State has a chance to have more three-time champs in one year (2019) than they'd had between 1855 and 2018 combined? Mind! Blown! (need the exploding head emoji)

Reactions: Gebmo
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Imar is possibly the greatest two time champ ever. He has 5 victories over Cenzo and Nolf combined. That's darn impressive in my book. All other wrestlers combined have, what, two? And Cenzo's two finals victories were incredible.

Agreed. Cenzo gets a lack of respect due the the number of loses he has had through 2 years. To put those years in perspective though, he beat a man in Imar, who had he won those two matches vs Cenzo, would be in the conversation as top 5 all time. He would have been a 4x national champ with only 1 loss to Nolf a future 3x champ, whom he also beat twice. Wow.

VJ still has a lot of meat on the bone with more mountains to scale in the next 2 years. Assumng for the moment he succeeds, I am totally fine with how silly the phrase "worst 4 time champ ever" will sound coming from the lips of his detractors. Not only stupid, but the conversations will be relegated to the usual anti-PSU drivel that tends to flow on some other boards. VJ is one of those rare athletes who can bring his game to another level when he is on the biggest stage. The fact that he isn't undefeated is virtually meaningless to me. He has already given us a couple of the most exciting matches ever.

Isaac Jordan - 1 loss
Alex Marinelli - 1 loss
Keaton Subjeck - 1 loss

Kyle Dake had 4 losses in his career, finished winning 79 in a row. VJ could end up being similar to Kyle Dake.

Agreed. Cenzo gets a lack of respect due the the number of loses he has had through 2 years. To put those years in perspective though, he beat a man in Imar, who had he won those two matches vs Cenzo, would be in the conversation as top 5 all time. He would have been a 4x national champ with only 1 loss to Nolf a future 3x champ, whom he also beat twice. Wow.

VJ still has a lot of meat on the bone with more mountains to scale in the next 2 years. Assumng for the moment he succeeds, I am totally fine with how silly the phrase "worst 4 time champ ever" will sound coming from the lips of his detractors. Not only stupid, but the conversations will be relegated to the usual anti-PSU drivel that tends to flow on some other boards. VJ is one of those rare athletes who can bring his game to another level when he is on the biggest stage. The fact that he isn't undefeated is virtually meaningless to me. He has already given us a couple of the most exciting matches ever.
Unless I missed it--it has not been mentioned that Cenzo has revenged every college loss, with the exception of THE BULL( and they have only meet 1 time) it is my guess the Cenzo will revenge that loss this coming season.

IMO--Cenzo should not lose credibility for these loses -

Imar---as stated one of the best all time--so no shame is losing to Imar

Jordan--- Cenzo RSF--made a mental mistake gave up 2 instead on 1 towards the end of regulation--match should have not went into OT.

The Stanford kid-- again Cenzo RSF year--very early in the season Cenzo got hit with 2 6 point moves and still only lost by Dec.

The Bull--- well live by the unders die by the unders---again he will revenge this loss soon.

Googles--I agree with your post--just quoted it to get my 2 cents in..

Unless I missed it--it has not been mentioned that Cenzo has revenged every college loss, with the exception of THE BULL( and they have only meet 1 time) it is my guess the Cenzo will revenge that loss this coming season.

IMO--Cenzo should not lose credibility for these loses -

Imar---as stated one of the best all time--so no shame is losing to Imar

Jordan--- Cenzo RSF--made a mental mistake gave up 2 instead on 1 towards the end of regulation--match should have not went into OT.

The Stanford kid-- again Cenzo RSF year--very early in the season Cenzo got hit with 2 6 point moves and still only lost by Dec.

The Bull--- well live by the unders die by the unders---again he will revenge this loss soon.

Googles--I agree with your post--just quoted it to get my 2 cents in..

Yea, but unfortunately, no Iowa-PSU dual this year. :( So a rematch with Bull will have to wait till the postseason. That is, unless Tnt wants to gift us an early Christmas present and announce his squad is coming to Happy Valley.

Reactions: tabenn
Yea, but unfortunately, no Iowa-PSU dual this year. :( So a rematch with Bull will have to wait till the postseason. That is, unless Tnt wants to gift us an early Christmas present and announce his squad is coming to Happy Valley.
A reciprocal trip to State College by Iowa will not happen until Tom believes his squad is likely to win.

Just saying. I could be wrong, but my opinion is Brands sees no benefit traveling electively to State College just to take a beating.

Not likely to happen.

A reciprocal trip to State College by Iowa will not happen until Tom believes his squad is likely to win.

Just saying. I could be wrong, but my opinion is Brands sees no benefit traveling electively to State College just to take a beating.

apparently you missed the slush fund additions at 133/141 and the TFr AA that they added at Hvy. Not to mention Youngs 157 vision quest and the "Bulls"eye on Cenzos back. Shoot they even brought in this Russian named Warnerov at 197 to counter BoNi

#starteveryseasonwith10AA

Perhaps the HR fans could convince him he could win this year. Heck, some of those lads thought they could win last year :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT