ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Brackets 2018

If Snyder was 2-0 against Coon this year then maybe another match would be featured. Coon upsetting Captain America a few weeks ago increased the intrigue 3 fold.

No doubt the rubber match will take center stage.

22 first round "upsets" last year, at least by seeding. Two weight classes held serve with none.

The national tournament is always full of surprises, it's what makes it fun. Wonder who will go down in round 1 this year...

Reactions: nitlion6
I have read all the info on brackets and suggestions that tOSU has an easier path. How much influence can Ryan (or any coach) have on his wrestlers (and wrestler’s opponents) seeding. It seems he would gave to recuse himself from those discussions. If not, every coach in the country would
be begging to be on the committee. Is tOSU’s path due more to Ryan or the fact they won BIGs and didn’t have MFFs like PSU and Iowa? For all the talk of conference finishes being irrelevant, these seeding choices make them look very relevant...

Totally shocked if the NCAA goes with anything except Coon v Snyder.

When is the order announced? I would never be foolish enough to disagree with you, but couldn’t the dynamics of the team race and who the finalists are impact the order decision? Lots of possibilities that could present themselves, for example a Nickal-Martin matchup.

The three seed doesn't bother me as much as Kemerer getting the 6. He had one loss to a top 10 guy. Pantaleo has 5 losses.. I get punishing guys for MFF but there was no rhyme or reason to how they decided seeds. Each weight was done differently using a different logic. I think the seeding committee will be exposed at a couple weights as their 1 and 2 seeds finish 7/8th or worse.

I have to agree that Cruz gets upset before the semis however, he is a beast in the wrestle backs historically. His freshman year run to AA was impressive to say the least. Is it next week yet?

I know, right! Fortunately for me I'm having a minor surgery that's going to keep me out of work Thursday and Friday, so I get to sit on my behind and enjoy all three days of the tourney. And yes, the seeding for some of these weights are just ridiculous, and frankly I think it will put incredible pressure on the guys who are seeded too high, and make the ones seeded too low even more hungry than they usually are...which will bring even more pressure down on the aforementioned guys. I can't wait!! Go Spencer Lee!! :)

Reactions: pawrest01
I'm not usually a glass half full kind of guy, but devil's advocate says Nolf got a TF in the first two rounds last year. If he can get a pin instead, that could make up for the loss of bonus in the quarters. We'll see what happens. I'm more upset about the unfair impact this matchup has for the rest of the weight class, and OSU's insanely positive draws throughout the weight classes in general.

I have been wondering, Nolf's MO least year was to go for bonus points first ensuring a tech fall. If his injury is still lingering we might see a little less catch and release in early matches, with a preference to go for the fall first as a priority. Who knows he might go fall, fall in the first two with the injury driving more early points than last year. That would be fine by me.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Thought crossed my mind today.. I know all are upset with Nolf/Kemerer so early in the tourney, but I wonder if as the tourney goes on, if Jason's knee will begin to give him more issues, not less, making it perhaps a benefit to get Kemerer earlier in the tourney when the knee is hopefully still feeling decent? Just a thought..

Agreed, the only thing standing between Nolf and another NC is that knee. The seeds are meaningless as he is better than anyone in the field by a comfortable margin. My biggest concern is someone re-tweaks it and he has to MF. Getting past Kemerer early may prove a blessing.

Reactions: Ski and HOCKEYGOD11
When is the order announced? I would never be foolish enough to disagree with you, but couldn’t the dynamics of the team race and who the finalists are impact the order decision? Lots of possibilities that could present themselves, for example a Nickal-Martin matchup.
Not until the finals are set, so sometime Saturday.

Reactions: ccdiver
The three seed doesn't bother me as much as Kemerer getting the 6. He had one loss to a top 10 guy. Pantaleo has 5 losses.. I get punishing guys for MFF but there was no rhyme or reason to how they decided seeds. Each weight was done differently using a different logic. I think the seeding committee will be exposed at a couple weights as their 1 and 2 seeds finish 7/8th or worse.
This^^.

The seeding committee wants to send a message about MFFs? Okay, fine. But no need to be stupid about it. You have two guys who were ranked #1 and #2 at 157 all season and who now are both injured to some not fully known extent. You can punish both seed-wise for the MFFs, but put them on opposite sides of the bracket to at least provide the possibility for the two to meet in the finals. There is plenty of other justification to put Kemerer at #5, including a head-to-head win over Shields.

Cody Law (former PSU) is into the finals at 157 in the DII national championships. (Wasn't sure where to share this without starting a new thread.)

Reactions: phelpsp
Not until the finals are set, so sometime Saturday.
Zane, Snyder, IMar, and Heil are all looking for their 3rd crown. If 3 or 4 of these make it into the finals, is there any chance they'll bypass the usual weight order and have all of these bouts at the end?

Zane, Snyder, IMar, and Heil are all looking for their 3rd crown. If 3 or 4 of these make it into the finals, is there any chance they'll bypass the usual weight order and have all of these bouts at the end?
No. That would give viewers a reason to skip the first 6 matches. You want those matchups scattered, which the natural order does (somewhat).

Not in my opinion. Traveling today, or I’d look it up...I suspect tournament rules don’t allow it.

The previous responses are probably right but they could create a really dramatic sequence by flipping it around w 2 timers going for 3, any psu - osu head to heads or other team race implications, a high vs low seed, etc.

My dream is this is a perfect script. PSU needs wins at 184 and 197 against fOSU and Olympic Champ takes on Goliath for the title. OK... perfect is Snyder's match is worthless because Rasheed locked it up. :rolleyes:

My dream is this is a perfect script. PSU needs wins at 184 and 197 against fOSU and Olympic Champ takes on Goliath for the title. OK... perfect is Snyder's match is worthless because Rasheed locked it up. :rolleyes:

Or if Snyder needed to win by 13 points!
(I know tournament scoring and tie breakers aren’t the same...)

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT