ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Brackets 2018

Lyco1990

Jan 14, 2014
125 A week ago I wanted Tomasello v. Suriano. Now I like Lee with Nick again being in questionable health. Also needs to get by a game Lamont.

133 Pletcher has been on borrowed time. Winner of Keener Parker have good chance in quarters.

141 Lee has too prove he belongs with big boys Meredith may be a little much. McKenna has same issues wrestling back may be the theme.

149 Where does Hayes beat in WBs? Zpain wins Hayes misses seed.

157 Really hope Lavallee as good as advertised or a gift to fOSU to semis. Nolf/Kemerer quarter... Ryan on seeding committee?

165 Imar Joseph redux.

174 Mark/Z finals. The question is does Bo meet or exceed expectations?

184 Martin makes it past Venz, Preish and Bo... OW. Well ok he may not make it to finals. All Bo.

197 Moore in drivers seat. Shak need to show up and not get dumped then interesting semi. He gets in wrestle backs and I see bonus bonanza.

285 World champ vs. Goliath.

For PSU

Keener- so far away from the AA discussion

Lee- great draw

Zain- could have been better, but hopefully he bonuses anyway

Nolf- not great at all, but it's Jason

Cenzo- Ok. Richie QF kind of stinks because you know it will be close, but I trust Cenzo here.

Hall- Draw is fine, though Round 2 bonus looks minimal

Nickal- About what you'd expect

Rasheed- Looks good

Nevills- Absolutely despise this bracket. Lose to Dhesi and you're staring at White/Hall in the R of 12. Should have taken a dive against Stoll in hindsight

I think Shak has a better chance wrestling Moore Friday night, rather than Saturday night.

Reactions: phelpsp
125 - Nato easy ride into semi's; Lizak/Cruz rematch in quarters
133 - Mueller / DSanto another rematch - will be interesting quarters with Micic. Cory with a good opener but tough second match with Parker
141 - Alber with a rematch with NickL. Quarter finals will be fun to watch. Tough bottom quarter for Eierman but I think his style matches up well with them
149 - not much to say. Keyshawn/Heilman matchup could be fun. Tshirts and Deakin as well (especially if there is another match you want to watch at the same time). Would have liked to see Boo and Keshawn.
157 - Regardless of thought process... best two facing off in quarters is sad. Micah and Berfer have easy pass to quarters
165 - would have liked to see Chance and Rogers. Not convinced on the #4 seed. White/Lewis again..winner getting Cenzo. Bottom quarter could be interesting (Massa, Valencia, Wick, McFadden). Don't think IMar has too much to worry about until the finals.
174 - Zahid walks into the finals. (didn't he convincingly beat Kutler?). Hoping Hall gets Bolen again - he pinned him quickly at the Scuffle but since then Bolen lost his shirt and won the ACCs.
184 - Myles with an easy walk to the semi's; Bo with a tough semi as well.
197 - would have liked Shaq to get the 7th seed based on how the brackets are laid out. Interesting quarters.
hwt - If Nick repeats his loss to Boykin, he could wrestle his brother! But I agree with another poster.... Stoll has a better path

We're just going to have to gut it out early on to set up the big matches.

Reactions: diggerpup
For PSU

Keener- so far away from the AA discussion, so you disagree that Phetcher is in danger in quarters?

Lee- great draw

Zain- could have been better, but hopefully he bonuses anyway

Nolf- not great at all, but it's Jason

Cenzo- Ok. Richie QF kind of stinks because you know it will be close, but I trust Cenzo here.

Hall- Draw is fine, though Round 2 bonus looks minimal

Nickal- About what you'd expect

Rasheed- Looks good

Nevills- Absolutely despise this bracket. Lose to Dhesi and you're staring at White/Hall in the R of 12. Should have taken a dive against Stoll in hindsight
Winner of Keener/Parker? That's almost funny. Keener first needs to get past Forys, which is the level of guy he hasn't been able to beat all season.
OK, how bout Phletcher has issues in quarters, that better? Betcha my bar tab Wednesday night Keener scores points at nationals.

Reactions: garw
OK, how bout Phletcher has issues in quarters, that better? Betcha my bar tab Wednesday night Keener scores points at nationals.

So you're willing to bet that Keener doesn't go 0-2? That's some offer. I sure as hell hope Keener can win at least one match in the consolation bracket, so I'll have to pass.

So you're willing to bet that Keener doesn't go 0-2? That's some offer. I sure as hell hope Keener can win at least one match in the consolation bracket, so I'll have to pass.
Caught me bait and switch. I do think he has the ability to score points in the wrestle backs and we may need them.

Winner of Keener/Parker? That's almost funny. Keener first needs to get past Forys, which is the level of guy he hasn't been able to beat all season.
Looking in wrestlestat, Keener, all-time has a record of 2-20 against guys ranked in the top 15.

Forys is #4 in wrestlestat. If Keener losses to him he most likely gets either Erneste (#10 in WS) or Terao (#9 WS) in round 2 of the consolations.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Looking in wrestlestat, Keener, all-time has a record of 2-20 against guys ranked in the top 15.

Forys is #4 in wrestlestat. If Keener losses to him he most likely gets either Erneste (#10 in WS) or Terao (#9 WS) in round 2 of the consolations.

Right. And Keener has already lost twice to Forys in NCAAs, in the 2016 consolation bracket and in the 2017 championship bracket (by MD in 1st round match). I gotta believe it's not a coincidence that Keener gets Forys again in 2018.

125 - Nato easy ride into semi's; Lizak/Cruz rematch in quarters
133 - Mueller / DSanto another rematch - will be interesting quarters with Micic. Cory with a good opener but tough second match with Parker
141 - Alber with a rematch with NickL. Quarter finals will be fun to watch. Tough bottom quarter for Eierman but I think his style matches up well with them
149 - not much to say. Keyshawn/Heilman matchup could be fun. Tshirts and Deakin as well (especially if there is another match you want to watch at the same time). Would have liked to see Boo and Keshawn.
157 - Regardless of thought process... best two facing off in quarters is sad. Micah and Berfer have easy pass to quarters
165 - would have liked to see Chance and Rogers. Not convinced on the #4 seed. White/Lewis again..winner getting Cenzo. Bottom quarter could be interesting (Massa, Valencia, Wick, McFadden). Don't think IMar has too much to worry about until the finals.
174 - Zahid walks into the finals. (didn't he convincingly beat Kutler?). Hoping Hall gets Bolen again - he pinned him quickly at the Scuffle but since then Bolen lost his shirt and won the ACCs.
184 - Myles with an easy walk to the semi's; Bo with a tough semi as well.
197 - would have liked Shaq to get the 7th seed based on how the brackets are laid out. Interesting quarters.
hwt - If Nick repeats his loss to Boykin, he could wrestle his brother! But I agree with another poster.... Stoll has a better path

We're just going to have to gut it out early on to set up the big matches.
How is Forys a "good opener"?

125: Weight is loaded, Cruz has a brutal first two rounds. I predict 1 of the big 4 goes down before the semis
133: Tough draw for Keener, hope he can win at least 1 but will have to be an upset.
141: Lee might have been given the worst draw of any seeded guy in the tournament but this is where he can prove he belongs.
149: I predict a lot of Pain as well as the most boring match in the history of NCAA'S if T-shirt and Snorenson meet.
157: Nolf/Kemerer quarter is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time all the while giving M. Jordan the path of least resistance.. Tan Tom is paying somebody :0
165: Brutal on both sides. Don't like the Lewis quarter but I think I prefer a familiar foe over anyone else. Cenzo gets it done the punishes IMar in the finals.
174: Don't see any surprises here with coinflip result in the finals.
184: Bo Knows Championships
197: If Shaq can upset Moore in the Semi's I think that seals the deal for a PSU win.
HWT: Another brutal draw but this is a way different NN from the one that took an L to Boykin. Anything but 3rd will be an under performance.

This whole tournament is going to hinge on 3 weights for PSU. If they perform to seed or better, it's a lock..

Is anyone else wishing they had a fast forward button on a life remote?

Reactions: diggerpup

Keener would have to get past the loser of Parker v. Kelly/Sykora before getting to round 2 of consis. Kelly would be the logical guess.

Keener is 0-2 against Forys and hasn't been close. I'm not even sure he's taken him down.

Thought crossed my mind today.. I know all are upset with Nolf/Kemerer so early in the tourney, but I wonder if as the tourney goes on, if Jason's knee will begin to give him more issues, not less, making it perhaps a benefit to get Kemerer earlier in the tourney when the knee is hopefully still feeling decent? Just a thought..

Thought crossed my mind today.. I know all are upset with Nolf/Kemerer so early in the tourney, but I wonder if as the tourney goes on, if Jason's knee will begin to give him more issues, not less, making it perhaps a benefit to get Kemerer earlier in the tourney when the knee is hopefully still feeling decent? Just a thought..
If both Nolf and Kem are healthy this sucks for folks knocked down to wrestle backs. Imagine your Garret Hammond and lose your first match and then manage to win your next couple and all of sudden you thought you had a path to AA and then you meet Kem who is second best guy in the weight class. Bad seeding is just bad for those guys that didn't think they would hit the second best wrestler in the wrestlebacks

Yeah I get that but my concerns are for Jason and our guys mainly and not sure this is a terrible time in the tourney to get the second toughest guy.. that's all I am saying..

Kemerer has been hurt for awhile now and hasn't looked right himself, so I'm not sure Nolf getting him earlier than later is a big problem.

Reactions: NittanyLion84

Actually, if we assume that Forys wins the opening match, he's willing to bet that Keener wins 3 matches (or scores bonus points) in wrestlebacks. He said "points" (emphasis on the plural), and one-half point for each win in wrestlebacks means that Keener would have to win 3 matches to exceed a single point. Just sayin'. :cool:

Actually, if we assume that Forys wins the opening match, he's willing to bet that Keener wins 3 matches (or scores bonus points) in wrestlebacks. He said "points" (emphasis on the plural), and one-half point for each win in wrestlebacks means that Keener would have to win 3 matches to exceed a single point. Just sayin'. :cool:

It's been 2 years, but Keener lost to Cameron Kelly in 2016 season. So 1 win in wrestlebacks isn't a given.

I was thinking the very same thing. He didn't offer you very much to bet on...what a fricking risk taker he is..LOL!! :)

125: Weight is loaded, Cruz has a brutal first two rounds. I predict 1 of the big 4 goes down before the semis
133: Tough draw for Keener, hope he can win at least 1 but will have to be an upset.
141: Lee might have been given the worst draw of any seeded guy in the tournament but this is where he can prove he belongs.
149: I predict a lot of Pain as well as the most boring match in the history of NCAA'S if T-shirt and Snorenson meet.
157: Nolf/Kemerer quarter is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time all the while giving M. Jordan the path of least resistance.. Tan Tom is paying somebody :0
165: Brutal on both sides. Don't like the Lewis quarter but I think I prefer a familiar foe over anyone else. Cenzo gets it done the punishes IMar in the finals.
174: Don't see any surprises here with coinflip result in the finals.
184: Bo Knows Championships
197: If Shaq can upset Moore in the Semi's I think that seals the deal for a PSU win.
HWT: Another brutal draw but this is a way different NN from the one that took an L to Boykin. Anything but 3rd will be an under performance.

This whole tournament is going to hinge on 3 weights for PSU. If they perform to seed or better, it's a lock..

Is anyone else wishing they had a fast forward button on a life remote?
I'm with you on 125 in that I think Cruz will go down before the semis...he's had a couple tough matches against middle tier opponents so I don't see him reaching Suriano. And I also think 157 is about the most ridiculous fricking bracket I've ever seen. Nolf has been destroying everyone he encounters, including Kem last year, and that equals a 3 seed. What a fricking joke! I think he and Kem will make the braniacs behind this look really stupid as they finish the tournament 1st and 3rd. Just don't see any way Kem beats Nolf, especially the way Kem has been wrestling down the stretch...and frankly don't seen anyone but perhaps Kem even giving Nolf a challenge. 3 seed my ass!! Those idiots!!

He sure does Banger and a certain person still owes me $999.00. Not sure why all the lack of trusting the process. Sure Keener could go 0-2. But looking at some of the kids he beat in his career gives me hope. Guess I’m a glass half full guy.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I'm with you on 125 in that I think Cruz will go down before the semis...he's had a couple tough matches against middle tier opponents so I don't see him reaching Suriano. And I also think 157 is about the most ridiculous fricking bracket I've ever seen. Nolf has been destroying everyone he encounters, including Kem last year, and that equals a 3 seed. What a fricking joke! I think he and Kem will make the braniacs behind this look really stupid as they finish the tournament 1st and 3rd. Just don't see any way Kem beats Nolf, especially the way Kem has been wrestling down the stretch...and frankly don't seen anyone but perhaps Kem even giving Nolf a challenge. 3 seed my ass!! Those idiots!!

The three seed doesn't bother me as much as Kemerer getting the 6. He had one loss to a top 10 guy. Pantaleo has 5 losses.. I get punishing guys for MFF but there was no rhyme or reason to how they decided seeds. Each weight was done differently using a different logic. I think the seeding committee will be exposed at a couple weights as their 1 and 2 seeds finish 7/8th or worse.

I have to agree that Cruz gets upset before the semis however, he is a beast in the wrestle backs historically. His freshman year run to AA was impressive to say the least. Is it next week yet?

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Kemerer at 6 is a joke. I know it won't happen, but someone on the committee should lay out the reasoning.

Absent an expatiation, I'm left to suspect someone on the committee saw Nolf at 3 and figured he could screw both PSU and Iowa with one move.

Kemerer at 6 is a joke. I know it won't happen, but someone on the committee should lay out the reasoning.

Absent an expatiation, I'm left to suspect someone on the committee saw Nolf at 3 and figured he could screw both PSU and Iowa with one move.

How can it screw both PSU and Iowa? One of them is going to win and IMHO it will 100% be Jason.

Reactions: ccdiver
Team title may come down to the finals. If it does I like our chances depending on what weight we start on. It would be cool to let Zain wrap it up wrestling last but I'd rather he was our first up in finals. The team will feed on Zain dominating and take it from there.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
How can it screw both PSU and Iowa? One of them is going to win and IMHO it will 100% be Jason.

Jason got a pin in the quarters last year. That will be no easy task against Kemerer ... from potential bonus to likely decision? -1 to -2 points.

Jason got a pin in the quarters last year. That will be no easy task against Kemerer ... from potential bonus to likely decision? -1 to -2 points.

I'm not usually a glass half full kind of guy, but devil's advocate says Nolf got a TF in the first two rounds last year. If he can get a pin instead, that could make up for the loss of bonus in the quarters. We'll see what happens. I'm more upset about the unfair impact this matchup has for the rest of the weight class, and OSU's insanely positive draws throughout the weight classes in general.

Team title may come down to the finals. If it does I like our chances depending on what weight we start on. It would be cool to let Zain wrap it up wrestling last but I'd rather he was our first up in finals. The team will feed on Zain dominating and take it from there.

It would be hard to argue against a Coon/Snyder match as the final match of the tournament. The next most desirable matchups IMO would be Valencia v. Hall, Bo v. Martin, and then IMart v. either McFadden or Cenzo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT