ADVERTISEMENT

Thorpe Pancakes Pitt Linebacker

It was a six man rush vs a five man line.....
There is NOTHING the OL can do there.

That is up to the play design / reads to counter. It is what it is.

4 men rushed. 2 backers and 2 DL. A DL covered an RB and another dropped back.

And our OL got all sorts of confused regarding who to pick up, and we ended up with the LT and LG on one guy, the C on another, and a LB just running untouched between them while Thorpe danced around doing nothing until he helped with the C's guy.

Reactions: psu1969a
4 men rushed. 2 backers and 2 DL. A DL covered an RB and another dropped back.

And our OL got all sorts of confused regarding who to pick up, and we ended up with the LT and LG on one guy, the C on another, and a LB just running untouched between them while Thorpe danced around doing nothing until he helped with the C's guy.

Jesus.... the LB that came through had nothing to do with the play.... you let him go and double someone that can disrupt the play and that is bad.... There are a host of ignorant posters here.... It getting ....so Phucking Old.

Jesus.... the LB that came through had nothing to do with the play.... you let him go and double someone that can disrupt the play and that is bad.... There are a host of ignorant posters here.... It getting ....so Phucking Old.

They have to pick up the blitz. OL confused again.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say. Are you actually advocating for letting a blitzer come in unimpeded on a "regular" (a play not called directly to counter a blitz) pass play? You think it was a good move to double a DL and leave a blitzing LB come in untouched for what should have been an 8 yard sack before the QB could even set for the throw, but for the fact the LB whiffed on the tackle?

Reactions: Ughhh
I don't even understand what you're trying to say. Are you actually advocating for letting a blitzer come in unimpeded on a "regular" (a play not called directly to counter a blitz) pass play? You think it was a good move to double a DL and leave a blitzing LB come in untouched for what should have been an 8 yard sack before the QB could even set for the throw, but for the fact the LB whiffed on the tackle?

Yes, Clifford stepped a single step forward and completed the pass while the OL sealed off the lane through which he threw it. Do you really think that there are times that you as a blocker are not supposed to let a blitzer through and block someone in front of the play. You, too will not coach any of my players either. You are a exemplary whiner but would make a pitiful coach.

Yes, Clifford stepped a single step forward and completed the pass while the OL sealed off the lane through which he threw it. Do you really think that there are times that you as a blocker are not supposed to let a blitzer through and block someone in front of the play. You, too will not coach any of my players either. You are a exemplary whiner but would make a pitiful coach.

Uh, dude. But for the LB's complete lack of tackling skills, Clifford was toast. And the pass was supposed to go to the side from whence the LB came (actually the LB came slightly from the left, but then, basically right up the middle), but Clifford had to scramble for his life and complete a dump-off (with the receiver having to stop his route to come back to the dump-off) to the other side, rather than let the play develop.

Your criticism of my coaching ability is duly noted. When you want to stop acting like a child who got into mommy and daddy's liquor cabinet, let me know.

Reactions: psu2016 and Ughhh
Uh, dude. But for the LB's complete lack of tackling skills, Clifford was toast. And the pass was supposed to go to the side from whence the LB came (actually the LB came slightly from the left, but then, basically right up the middle), but Clifford had to scramble for his life and complete a dump-off (with the receiver having to stop his route to come back to the dump-off) to the other side, rather than let the play develop.

Your criticism of my coaching ability is duly noted. When you want to stop acting like a child who got into mommy and daddy's liquor cabinet, let me know.
Boy you really like being confrontational

5 guys came, 2LBs and 3 Lineman. The end went and covered the running back in the flat. It was a great blitz set-up as the overloaded, something that Pry could learn from. And Clifford made a play to get a throw to a wide open receiver and first down

You let the LBer run thru?? You don’t try to block him? You don’t try to hot read off of him? (TE was wide open on the hot)
You expose your QB to getting hit???
Really?
Speaking of ignorant
I mean really, how would you handle it???

Reactions: Ughhh
You let the LBer run thru?? You don’t try to block him? You don’t try to hot read off of him? (TE was wide open on the hot)
You expose your QB to getting hit???
Really?
Speaking of ignorant
I mean really, how would you handle it???

Just like it was handled. The play worked as planned. You have obviously never coached a single down of offensive football and are one of the boards biggest know nothing blowhard crybabies. See Ya!

Just like it was handled. The play worked as planned. You have obviously never coached a single down of offensive football and are one of the boards biggest know nothing blowhard crybabies. See Ya!
You didn’t answer the question, how would you handle the blizter?? ( you really can’t be serious and say just have the qb make him miss)

If your offense has to rely on your QB having to dodge a blitzer that came in untouched up the middle, then you don't have much of an offense.

If your offense has to rely on your QB having to dodge a blitzer that came in untouched up the middle, then you don't have much of an offense.

I guess you never watched or coached football either .....408 uneducated posts is too many. See Ya!

You have no clue. The LT and LG were responsible for picking that up. It would be a very difficult blitz to pick up quickly but I guarantee that was their assignment. When the end vacates and the backer comes underneath, the LT must take over the DT and the LG must switch to the blitzing backer. Very difficult but possible. Otherwise the QB must throw hot or run. Other than a screen pass there is no play or scheme where you don’t block a blitzed on purpose.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

You say "the play worked as planned."

You also say "I meant to do that" after tripping over yourself, falling into the street and narrowly missing getting hit by a car that was luckily driving down the middle of the street instead of being entirely in his lane.

There's absolutely no way the play worked as planned. If it did, everyone involved with designing and implementing said play should never be allowed near a football field again, for their own safety, and the safety of others.

Let's not insult each other on the boards....can't we all just agree that this OL is soft, they don't rise up in big moments and are poorly coached? I'm going on a 3 year sample size....don't want to hear about age...they had two upperclassmen in Bates and McGovern on last year's OL, which was equally horrendous. It's time to face the facts that just like taxes, our OL is an annual disappointment.

After watching the replay several times, it just looks like a very well designed blitz. Walker looks to engage the DE, and Gonzalez engages the DT. The DE then moves out to cover the RB flaring out of the backfield, leaving Walker no one to block. But at the same time, the DT slants to the outside, bringing Gonzalez to his left, and opening a hole for the blitzing LB. It would have taken incredible instincts and communication for Walker to take over the block on the DT and for Gonzalez to slide back over to block the blitzing LB. But in my opinion, Gonzalez is so far to his left at the time the LB blitzes, there is no way he could have made it over in time.

At the same time, on the other side of the line, Fries remains engaged with the other DE for the whole play. Thorpe looks to engage the other DT who slants toward the outside, moving Thorpe to his right. The DT then drops back (as part of a zone blitz) into coverage and Thorpe is in no-man's land. While this is going on, Menet initially has no one to block, but then faces a pair of blitzing linebackers on his own, picking the more central one and allowing the other to go freely through the gap between Menet and Gonzalez.

Ideally, Menet would have taken the LB more to his left and Thorpe would have slid back over to block the more central LB. But by the time Thorpe recognizes the zone blitz, he is so far to his right that it would have been very difficult to get back over and cover the more central of the blitzing LBs.

So, at least in my opinion, it just looked like a very well designed blitz, the OL did it's best to defend it, and Clifford made a nice play to get a completion.

I don't claim in any way to be an expert, and I'm happy to hear from others with more experience analyzing plays, but that at least is my take.

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT