ADVERTISEMENT

This is Franklin's ceiling

They are not going to talk about Big very much due to the tv contracts. Yes, they talk OSU a lot because several of the radio guts are OSU alums.
seems like Fox, NBC, cbs and the conference networks are knocking espn out of the picture. almost like what's old is new again. i don't see any of those networks giving psu the cold shoulder

espn has long downplayed psu, and i think it always had a lot to do with the gigantic number of syracuse people working there

They are not going to talk about Big very much due to the tv contracts. Yes, they talk OSU a lot because several of the radio guts are OSU alums.
This was back before the TV contracts.

seems like Fox, NBC, cbs and the conference networks are knocking espn out of the picture. almost like what's old is new again. i don't see any of those networks giving psu the cold shoulder

espn has long downplayed psu, and i think it always had a lot to do with the gigantic number of syracuse people working there
Even if they don’t downplay PSU, they’re not going to get near the exposure that Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, FSU, ND, Oregon, or USC get….and not even what Colorado gets now. We are not one of the most popular teams as much as we wish we were.

A keeper from my early days as a military officer: 'You manage things; you lead people.'

Far too much of the former in this program - the intermittent leadership we've seen has come from the natural abilities of a few gifted players, who then move on, leaving a void.
I believe this 'You manage things; you lead people.' is where the problem lies. This thread got way off track, as usual.
I like Franklin but when I listen to his press conferences etc I don't get pumped up at all. All the coaches I played for were inspiring/motivational..... When he talks it's just a bunch of rote phrases. Can he recruit, I guess so. Can he develop players, not sure. Does he motivate, elevate the players? I think not.. It's not "all about OSU & Michigan", it's about the inspiration coming from those practices and meetings. I believe he has enough talent to beat most any team, but no one on the board really knows if the players buy in.
Diaz, I think they buy everything he's selling.......................................

In 2005, we were an after thought…the only chance we had was if Texas or USC lost…so just another ding to our reputation as a NC contender. We’ve never gotten the push from national media and it often bites us in the a$$. If you need proof, look no further than 1994. Kind of proves my point.
Big10 was down in 2005 and our game vs OSU was mocked nationally for being defensive struggle. We nearly lost in the bowl game vs unranked FSU. 1994 was the last time we were truly elite and the last NC was 1986 season. All those who believe Franklin is underperforming are ignoring history.

Big10 was down in 2005 and our game vs OSU was mocked nationally for being defensive struggle. We nearly lost in the bowl game vs unranked FSU. 1994 was the last time we were truly elite and the last NC was 1986 season. All those who believe Franklin is underperforming are ignoring history.
Regardless, PSU did finish 2005 as the third-ranked team in the country; if there had been a four team playoff that season, they definitely would been there. In 2008, they were one avoidable loss to Iowa away from finishing with an undefeated regular season. In 2016, they obviously were one slot away from being in the playoffs. So, there have been several seasons in which PSU was very close to either playing for a NC or qualifying for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
Regardless, PSU did finish 2005 as the third-ranked team in the country; if there had been a four team playoff that season, they definitely would been there. In 2008, they were one avoidable loss to Iowa away from finishing with an undefeated regular season. In 2016, they obviously were one slot away from being in the playoffs. So, there have been several seasons in which PSU was very close to either playing for a NC or qualifying for the playoffs.
Big10 was down in 2008 as well and we ended the season as an afterthought nationally. We got murdered by USC, who also clocked OSU in the regular season. I find no difference between 2008 and last season.

Regardless, PSU did finish 2005 as the third-ranked team on the country; if there had been a four team playoff that season, they definitely would been there.
Big10 was down in 2008 as well and we ended the season as an afterthought nationally. We got murdered by USC, who also clocked OSU in the regular season. I find no difference between 2008 and last season.
I guess every time that PSU won the Big 10 or was close to being considered for a playoff spot, it was because the Big 10 was down. Come on, the 2005 and 2008 teams were very good, and it wasn’t just because the Big 10 was down. In fact, in both of those seasons, OSU also only lost one conference game, both to PSU, so they were pretty good too.

By the way, the 2008 team finished ranked No. 8 after the Rose Bowl loss, so they probably went into that game ranked in or around the top 5, so they weren’t an afterthought.

2017 was a season that was real close to being “elite”. Four points (combined/total) in two road losses from undefeated. Had 4th Qtr lead in both.

I guess every time that PSU won the Big 10 or was close to being considered for a playoff spot, it was because the Big 10 was down. Come on, the 2005 and 2008 teams were very good, and it wasn’t just because the Big 10 was down. In fact, in both of those seasons, OSU also only lost one conference game, both to PSU, so they were pretty good too.

By the way, the 2008 team finished ranked No. 8 after the Rose Bowl loss, so they probably went into that game ranked in or around the top 5, so they weren’t an afterthought.
The point is that those seasons ended up being no different than the current Franklin ceiling. Adding one more point , that has been our ceiling since 1995. Out of all those years I find the late 90s to be most disappointing with the amount of talent on those teams! They should’ve been in the national championship game at least once or twice even in that era.

yeah i am not sure i'm following how the 2005 team was an afterthought when they were ranked ahead of every other 1-loss team and were only behind two undefeated teams at the end of the regular season

Nothing against him personally, but his peak is a 2 loss season with a bowl game. He will have never reached the 4 team CFP. The Lions can make the 12-team CFP fairly regularly, but will never be in the top 4 to get a bye.

Is that 'good enough?' I've tempered my expectations. Of course I'll still watch all the games, but do not see a Franklin-coached team winning a NC, at PSU or elsewhere.
Two things:
  1. It's frustrating not to get over the hump and reach top 4 but a lot of historically great teams like Texas, Florida, and USC can say the same thing.
  2. I don't think making the 12 team playoff will be a cakewalk. That probably means 2 losses max and we'll be playing teams like USC, Oregon, Washington, and UCLA in addition to the traditional BiG powerhouses.

2017 was a season that was real close to being “elite”. Four points (combined/total) in two road losses from undefeated. Had 4th Qtr lead in both.
That 2017 team was, IMO, the best PSU team since the 2009 team, and was probably better than the 2005 and 2008 team. They blew a 9 point lead at OSU with about 7 minutes to go in what was probably the best that they ever had played at OSU in the Big 10 era. Of course, they also had an inexplicable loss to MSU in the delayed game, which never should’ve happened. That was the biggest blown opportunity under Franklin because I really believe that they were better than OSU, and they also beat Michigan.

Reactions: mcpat
That 2017 team was, IMO, the best PSU team since the 2009 team, and was probably better than the 2005 and 2008 team. They blew a 9 point lead at OSU with about 7 minutes to go in what was probably the best that they ever had played at OSU in the Big 10 era. Of course, they also had an inexplicable loss to MSU in the delayed game, which never should’ve happened. That was the biggest blown opportunity under Franklin because I really believe that they were better than OSU, and they also beat Michigan.
I blame the OsU loss on Moorhead. I don't remember the exact situation but psu had a chance to put the game away and did some weird handoff nonsense that went nowhere and ended with either a fg or zero points. and then the msu game was just inexcusable because we had a second chance when iowa destroyed osu the next week

Two things:
  1. It's frustrating not to get over the hump and reach top 4 but a lot of historically great teams like Texas, Florida, and USC can say the same thing.
  2. I don't think making the 12 team playoff will be a cakewalk. That probably means 2 losses max and we'll be playing teams like USC, Oregon, Washington, and UCLA in addition to the traditional BiG powerhouses.
1a) Cincinnati, TCU, and Michigan State - not historically great teams have made it.

Reactions: psu00
Two things:
Let’s see how the PAC 12 teams adjust to playing in the Big 10, where weather and travel will be a bigger factor than where they traditionally play. These teams on the average will have to make twice as many trips to the Northeast and Midwest than the traditional Big 10 schools will have to make out west; that won’t be easy, as we see when West Coast NFL teams travel east to play. Also, it’s actually supposed to snow a little this week in the Midwest and Northeast; I wonder how many USC and UCLA players ever have seen a snowflake; imagine them playing in a game like the PSU game at MSU in 2021.

Let’s see how the PAC 12 teams adjust to playing in the Big 10, where weather and travel will be a bigger factor than where they traditionally play. These teams on the average will have to make twice as many trips to the Northeast and Midwest than the traditional Big 10 schools will have to make out west; that won’t be easy, as we see when West Coast NFL teams travel east to play. Also, it’s actually supposed to snow a little this week in the Midwest and Northeast; I wonder how many USC and UCLA players ever have seen a snowflake; imagine them playing in a game like the PSU game at MSU in 2021.

Anyone notice how PSU leads the nation in sacks but somehow IU had zero holds? As usual PSU has been called for twice as much holding as their b1g opponents.

I believe this 'You manage things; you lead people.' is where the problem lies. This thread got way off track, as usual.
I like Franklin but when I listen to his press conferences etc I don't get pumped up at all. All the coaches I played for were inspiring/motivational..... When he talks it's just a bunch of rote phrases. Can he recruit, I guess so. Can he develop players, not sure. Does he motivate, elevate the players? I think not.. It's not "all about OSU & Michigan", it's about the inspiration coming from those practices and meetings. I believe he has enough talent to beat most any team, but no one on the board really knows if the players buy in.
Diaz, I think they buy everything he's selling.......................................
Apparently they weren’t buying what he was selling on those 2 gift TDS yesterday.

You were comparing 2005 to now saying we used to get some coverage and just drove now and didn’t hear us mentioned.
I was talking about when I used to listen to ESPN radio a lot and said i stopped in 2017…that was before the TV contracts and ESPN used to broadcast and cover a lot of games…yet they still never discussed PSU.

Two of the top programs of all time (PSU and Nebraska) joined the Big and didn’t exactly dominate, so I’m thinking the new teams will have similar fates….the Big seems easier than it actually is to fans of teams not playing in it.

Post 1994 you had a Joe Paterno in the twilight of his career (nice way of saying he was too old to coach/lead a major college football program) then the scandal.

To get equal footing you need to look at the last 7 years (2016-2023) to PSU from 1966 through the late 90's or thereabouts. Or take JoePa from 1966-1973 and Franklin 2016-2023. Yes, Franklin is underperforming. He does not get a free pass. Yes I know Joe didn't have NIL and the portal and this and that to deal with. Forget that. This business is about results and Joe was the best coach in college football for basically 3 decades up until he got too old in the mid 90s. Look at his phenomenal bowl record. Franklin? He's articulate. He recruits well. Loses big games.

Reactions: 84Lion
He is underperforming.

Reactions: 84Lion and psu00
From the best I can decipher on this thread everyone agrees Franklin has hit the ceiling. The debate is whether we can ever get a National Championship with a different coach.

I think we can. It won't be easy but it is possible and not possible like Indiana can possibly win a NC possible.

I believe our troubles beating OSU and more broadly "the big game" is a cultural disconnect with Franklin and the roots of Penn State football. I think if you ask many of the star lettermen from the Paterno era; Blackledge, Millen. Ham, Fusina, Cefalo, Guman, Warner, MRob, Parlevechio, Bauer. Conlan, Dozier on and on that they would say Franklin has underperformed and we need to get a coach who instills more of a culture of toughness, grit and being mentally strong. Franklin's teams do not embody this. Our offensive line has been lousy for years, some improvement but not up to PSU great standards. Our defensive line is not great. We seemingly wilt in big moments. To the point now you just wait for us to fail in the clutch. It pains me to write this but I believe these are the brutal facts.

If we move on from Franklin is there a chance we turn into Nebraska? Maybe. That is certainly a risk.

Look at it this way. If you are Pat Kraft are you happy with Franklin producing for the next ten years what he has done say the last seven? Win 9-10 games but not in the running for a NC. I know a lot of the people on this board think that is great and is not only Franklin's ceiling but Penn State football's ceiling. I completely disagree.

Do you think if Todd Blackledge asked Pat Kraft tomorrow what are his goals for Penn State football he is going to tell him...."Win 9 or 10 games and win a bowl game but we will not realistically win a national championship." Hell no. Call me unrealistic, a dreamer, whatever but I firmly believe Penn State can climb that mountain again. And not in the too distant future. It needs a new leader who can make us elite. We are ready for it.

From the best I can decipher on this thread everyone agrees Franklin has hit the ceiling. The debate is whether we can ever get a National Championship with a different coach.

I think we can. It won't be easy but it is possible and not possible like Indiana can possibly win a NC possible.

I believe our troubles beating OSU and more broadly "the big game" is a cultural disconnect with Franklin and the roots of Penn State football. I think if you ask many of the star lettermen from the Paterno era; Blackledge, Millen. Ham, Fusina, Cefalo, Guman, Warner, MRob. Parlevechio, Bauer. Conlan, Dozier on and on that they would say Franklin has underperformed and we need to get a coach who instills more of a culture of toughness, grit and being mentally strong. Franklin's teams do not embody this. Our offensive line has been lousy for years., some improvement but not up to PSU great standards. Our defensive line is not great. We seemingly wilt in big moments. To the point now you just wait for us to fail in the clutch. It pains me to write this but I believe these are the brutal facts.

If we move on from Franklin is there a chance we turn into Nebraska? Maybe. That is certainly a risk.

Look at it this way. If you are Pat Kraft are you happy with Franklin producing for the next ten years what he has done say the last seven? Win 9-10 games but not in the running for a NC. I know a lot of the people on this board think that is great and is not only Franklin's ceiling but Penn State football's ceiling. I completely disagree.

Do you think if Todd Blackledge asked Pat Kraft tomorrow what are his goals for Penn State football he is going to tell him...."Win 9 or 10 games and win a bowl game but we will not realistically win a national championship." Hell no. Call me unrealistic, a dreamer, whatever but I firmly believe Penn State can climb that mountain again. And not in the too distant future. It needs a new leader who can make us elite. We are ready for it.
You are spot on with Lettermen Assessment

I believe our troubles beating OSU and more broadly "the big game" is a cultural disconnect with Franklin and the roots of Penn State football. I think if you ask many of the star lettermen from the Paterno era; Blackledge, Millen. Ham, Fusina, Cefalo, Guman, Warner, MRob. Parlevechio, Bauer. Conlan, Dozier on and on that they would say Franklin has underperformed and we need to get a coach who instills more of a culture of toughness, grit and being mentally strong. Franklin's teams do not embody this. Our offensive line has been lousy for years., some improvement but not up to PSU great standards. Our defensive line is not great. We seemingly wilt in big moments. To the point now you just wait for us to fail in the clutch. It pains me to write this but I believe these are the brutal facts.

Spot on w/Lettermen assessment.

Nothing against him personally, but his peak is a 2 loss season with a bowl game. He will have never reached the 4 team CFP. The Lions can make the 12-team CFP fairly regularly, but will never be in the top 4 to get a bye.

Is that 'good enough?' I've tempered my expectations. Of course I'll still watch all the games, but do not see a Franklin-coached team winning a NC, at PSU or elsewhere.
Agree totally. All looked good after 1993 & 1994 but it quickly settled into a massive OSU and Michigan hump to get over and it never happened, maybe never will.

I believe our troubles beating OSU and more broadly "the big game" is a cultural disconnect with Franklin and the roots of Penn State football. I think if you ask many of the star lettermen from the Paterno era; Blackledge, Millen. Ham, Fusina, Cefalo, Guman, Warner, MRob, Parlevechio, Bauer. Conlan, Dozier on and on that they would say Franklin has underperformed and we need to get a coach who instills more of a culture of toughness, grit and being mentally strong. Franklin's teams do not embody this. Our offensive line has been lousy for years, some improvement but not up to PSU great standards. Our defensive line is not great. We seemingly wilt in big moments. To the point now you just wait for us to fail in the clutch. It pains me to write this but I believe these are the brutal facts.

I am forever the dreamer as well and desperately want to see the program become truly elite again. I just don’t understand why so many feel Franklin must be achieving what Joe could not after 1994. There are different reasons for that. We got placed into a conference that has a historical bias against us and everyone outside of the historical big 2. That will only now largely disappear with the 4 pac teams entering the conference (I don’t see the LA schools or Phil Knight and Oregon tolerating any of that.) The program was wrapped up with the Sandusky situation that likely impacted us way before 2011 and then it wasn’t until a few years ago that one could say we were past the impact of the sanctions . Last year’s 11-2 record is historically a great season at PSU. Now we know that one of those losses involved a UM program involved in a massive cheating scandal that likely impacted the game. I want to see an NC but if you look back since 2016 (and eliminate the covid year) we have returned to historical and typical strong PSU performance .

I am forever the dreamer as well and desperately want to see the program become truly elite again. I just don’t understand why so many feel Franklin must be achieving what Joe could not after 1994. There are different reasons for that. We got placed into a conference that has a historical bias against us and everyone outside of the historical big 2. That will only now largely disappear with the 4 pac teams entering the conference (I don’t see the LA schools or Phil Knight and Oregon tolerating any of that.) The program was wrapped up with the Sandusky situation that likely impacted us way before 2011 and then it wasn’t until a few years ago that one could say we were past the impact of the sanctions . Last year’s 11-2 record is historically a great season at PSU. Now we know that one of those losses involved a UM program involved in a massive cheating scandal that likely impacted the game. I want to see an NC but if you look back since 2016 (and eliminate the covid year) we have returned to historical and typical strong PSU performance .
Not quite sure how cheating impacted last years game vs Michigan.

We were not winning that game in AA last year regardless of whatever sign stealing may have allegedly occurred. We were pathetic on defense taking lousy angles and horrible tackling. We were taken to the woodshed.

Reactions: KCLion
We were not winning that game in AA last year regardless of whatever sign stealing may have allegedly occurred. We were pathetic on defense taking lousy angles and horrible tackling. We were taken to the woodshed.
Exactly my point.

Paterno went from being the biggest asset for this program for decades as he single handedly built Penn State football and put the university on the national map to our biggest liability.

Your point about this is who we have been for the last 30 years does not adequately consider the situations and context.

First off, let's agree that from 1966-1994 Penn State was one of the elite college football programs. Two national championships but could or should have been about 4 or 5. And in '78 we were inches (literally) from potentially getting another.

This is important because it shows we have been there. Now are the times different? Yes. But it is not like we now have a disinterested fan base and strung together a bunch of 5-7 seasons for the last 10 years. We are a very good program just not elite.

Back to the last 30 years. Paterno got old and the university had no clue how to handle that as he got into his 70's and did not want to retire. It was a very difficult situation. You had the nepotism factor with Jay hanging over the program as well. Meanwhile we hung with OSU for the most part until they hired Tressel. With scUM we hung with them until they got momentum with Lloyd Carr who was a good but not great coach but better than an old Joe and his middling, aging staff so we lose to them for about 12 years in a row. Those two facts explain our ineptitude vs OSU and Michigan from 1995-2010.

Then all the sanctions hit. A lesser program would have collapsed but we did not under O'Brien and Franklin has brought it back to being a very good program.

You are saying that last year and I guess a few other Franklin years where we have won 11 games means he has brought us all the way back to historically great Penn State years. Yeah I guess if your history starts in 1995. And all those later JoePa years were handcuffed by him and his larger than life legacy that became a liability as I have explained. So it is not a good comparison.

Bottom line is we can and should be an elite program. We have the resources, the fan base, positioned in a great area for HS talent and other factors I'm sure I am missing. I believe the difference is more about getting the right HC than simply we can't compete in the NIL world. Recruits see that we can't beat OSU and that is our issue in nabbing more of the elite players.

Reactions: 84Lion
Are you kidding me? They knew our plays! Of course that had a monumental impact on that game. You do realize we were up at one point.

Are you kidding me? They knew our plays! Of course that had a monumental impact on that game. You do realize we were up at one point.
Yes, but we ran all of what, 8 offensive plays in the first half? Just how long do you think our defense would withstand the onslaught? We were up because of one long QB scramble and run and a big play on defense.

By the 4th qtr they could have told us their play every damn time and we wouldn’t have stopped them.

Add to that a stupid decision to go for a 4th down that killed any opportunity we had in the second half.

Yes, but we ran all of what, 8 offensive plays in the first half? Just how long do you think our defense would withstand the onslaught? We were up because of one long QB scramble and run and a big play on defense.

By the 4th qtr they could have told us their play every damn time and we wouldn’t have stopped them.
Did we run limited plays because they already knew what was called and where the play is going and as such had 3 and outs? If it was a level playing field, it is likely we would’ve scored a lot more points and as such the game would’ve been completely different. I never thought I would dream of the day that PSU fans are downplaying outright cheating by Michigan.

Did we run limited plays because they already knew what was called and where the play is going and as such had 3 and outs? If it was a level playing field, it is likely we would’ve scored a lot more points and as such the game would’ve been completely different. I never thought I would dream of the day that PSU fans are downplaying outright cheating by Michigan.
I am not downplaying it, I think it’s reprehensible! I am just a realist when it comes to what I saw that afternoon. We gave up 400+ yards rushing. The last time I remember seeing us do that was against MI State when we gave up 200+ to two different RBs in East Lansing in the late 90s.

Pre Franklin PSU was 13-15 vs OSU.

Everyone would love an 11-2 season. Of course they would.

Except when you beat the teams you should and don’t beat the ones ranked higher. This is the rub. You should beat those higher teams at least SOME of the time. And noting the pre Franklin record above, you do beat the best teams SOME of the time.

With this coach that event simply doesn’t happen. That’s weird because even mediocre teams can rise up and win one of them. We aren’t mediocre, but we have a clear ceiling and 10 years of data to support that ceiling.

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT