ADVERTISEMENT

This weekend in 2024

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
(I know some of you hate the new playoff concept...so feel free to not read this post...)

When it comes to PSU, nothing that happened this weekend meant jack squat. If we won, we virtually clinched a NY6 bowl. If we lost, we'd probably be out of the NY6 and in one of the lesser bowls.

Next year, we'd be watching closely to see if we get a home game in the first round or not. Our win would virtually clinch us a playoff berth; a loss would virtually eliminate us.

There will be a big different between getting the 11-seed (assuming a Group of 5 champ rep is ranked #12) and the 8 seed.

11-seed goes to play in a hostile road game against #6. While 8-seed gets to host #9. So we'd be sizing up 'Bama and Florida State and Missouri.

There are a quite a few teams (like us) who will have a lot riding on the final weekend.

In a sense, schools like OSU and Washington and Florida State will have LESS riding on their games...a loss won't knock them out of the playoff. But the difference between a bye and a "play in" game is a pretty significant incentive.

I can't wait. (And not just because "hey, PSU will still be playing for a chance at the title!!!" but because it'll make CFB more interesting later into the season.)

(I know some of you hate the new playoff concept...so feel free to not read this post...)

When it comes to PSU, nothing that happened this weekend meant jack squat. If we won, we virtually clinched a NY6 bowl. If we lost, we'd probably be out of the NY6 and in one of the lesser bowls.

Next year, we'd be watching closely to see if we get a home game in the first round or not. Our win would virtually clinch us a playoff berth; a loss would virtually eliminate us.

There will be a big different between getting the 11-seed (assuming a Group of 5 champ rep is ranked #12) and the 8 seed.

11-seed goes to play in a hostile road game against #6. While 8-seed gets to host #9. So we'd be sizing up 'Bama and Florida State and Missouri.

There are a quite a few teams (like us) who will have a lot riding on the final weekend.

In a sense, schools like OSU and Washington and Florida State will have LESS riding on their games...a loss won't knock them out of the playoff. But the difference between a bye and a "play in" game is a pretty significant incentive.

I can't wait. (And not just because "hey, PSU will still be playing for a chance at the title!!!" but because it'll make CFB more interesting later into the season.)
I agree wholeheartedly. When the CFP rankings were new I watched the weekly unveiling with great interest and very regularly.

This year we all knew PSU had to win out and find a way to beat either OSU or UM for CFP to matter. I haven't watched a single show all year....same old, same old mimus Clemson, insert FSU.

We will also find ourselves rooting harder for the underdogs in the rivalry games to impact us: Miss. State, Oregon St., Wazzu, South Carolina, Auburn, Gators, Rambling Wreck etc.

I tend to pull for the dogs in a casual way but next year it could matter a lot more.

Looking forward.

Reactions: LandoComando
I agree wholeheartedly. When the CFP rankings were new I watched the weekly unveiling with great interest and very regularly.

This year we all knew PSU had to win out and find a way to beat either OSU or UM for CFP to matter. I haven't watched a single show all year....same old, same old mimus Clemson, insert FSU.

We will also find ourselves rooting harder for the underdogs in the rivalry games to impact us: Miss. State, Oregon St., Wazzu, South Carolina, Auburn, Gators, Rambling Wreck etc.

I tend to pull for the dogs in a casual way but next year it could matter a lot more.

Looking forward.
Yet the biggest problem with it is it still relies on rankings. A group of people all with personal biases making decisions on who gets to play for a title. The SEC is jubilant.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Honestly, this will make every weekend that much more impactful
And conference championship games can cause pure chaos as that impacts not only playoff spots but byes.
It's going to create far more interest in the sport
And with conference winners getting byes people should complain a little less but...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT