ADVERTISEMENT

There’s a chance

This was 100% true. He would have went to PSU for free that’s how bad he wanted to go there.(money not an issue for the family) He never got the ok from PSUs end.
Some dates for perspective:
- Glory released finalist list 7/26/2017
- Teasdale to PSU 9/21/2017
- Glory to Princeton 10/7/2017
- Teske to PSU 10/13/2017
(Commitment dates here: https://intermatwrestle.com/recruiting/commitments?page=4&sort=date&sort_dir=down&year=2018#tab )

Glory listed SIX finalists and we weren't one of them. Princeton, Lehigh, Penn, North Carolina, Virginia, and Cornell.
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5068594-2-pat-glorys-top-six-school-list

What this says is that PSU turned away Glory while Teasdale was still committed to Iowa, and 2+ months before either Teasdale or Teske committed to PSU.

Having a hard time believing this story.

(Commitment dates here: https://intermatwrestle.com/recruiting/commitments?page=4&sort=date&sort_dir=down&year=2018#tab )

Glory listed SIX finalists and we weren't one of them. Princeton, Lehigh, Penn, North Carolina, Virginia, and Cornell.

What this says is that PSU turned away Glory while Teasdale was still committed to Iowa, and 2+ months before either Teasdale or Teske committed to PSU.

It seems hard to believe but bopper has proven to provide good information. I always just assumed a Delbarton kid is hard to pry away from the Ivies.

Once again El-Jefe clouds up the story with facts. :rolleyes:

126: No. 3 Pat Glory (NJ) DEC No. 2 Gavin Teasdale (PA) 3-0 10/8/2017 at WNO

He's academically ineligible. He basically stopped attending any classes at Ohio State once he knew he was leaving in late September, therefore he has no academic record. There was thought we could blame a lot of it on Ohio State, but at the end of the day it was a pretty easy decision within the guidelines of the rules. Don't think you can blame the NCAA on this one.

So a true freshman with no academic record can wrestle but a true freshman with no academic record can't wrestle?

So a true freshman with no academic record can wrestle but a true freshman with no academic record can't wrestle?
It sounds like Kerk has an academic record though, and not a good one. IF he truly stopped attending classes he had registered for and didn't officially drop them, he has multiple Fs on his transcript. First semester freshman have not yet failed classes.

It sounds like Kerk has an academic record though, and not a good one. IF he truly stopped attending classes he had registered for and didn't officially drop them, he has multiple Fs on his transcript. First semester freshman have not yet failed classes.

More likely, he withdrew from school and received a partial reimbursement of tuition.

This was 100% true. He would have went to PSU for free that’s how bad he wanted to go there.(money not an issue for the family) He never got the ok from PSUs end.

I'm also going to join the "hard to believe" group. If it were true, that would have been a huge whiff on the staff's part.

Yeah...my mistake. Missed the contraction.

I meant:
Why **wouldn't** it count as a redshirt year if he's enrolled in school, but not wrestling attached?
I assume while redshirting, you need to maintain progress towards degree? It’s a wild assumption, as I’m marginally aware of the rules.

I'm also going to join the "hard to believe" group. If it were true, that would have been a huge whiff on the staff's part.
I am uncertain. Port and Ashnault would have attended PSU for close to nothing if shown the tiniest amount of reciprocal interest. I do think Glory would have been a PSUer if the staff had reciprocated interest.
Whether a whiff, or just brutal honesty about what the staff sees at that moment as far as opportunities moving forward. Nobody's perfect and they have missed a few, but it is obvious they get it right far more often than not.

Reactions: diggerpup
He's academically ineligible. He basically stopped attending any classes at Ohio State once he knew he was leaving in late September, therefore he has no academic record. There was thought we could blame a lot of it on Ohio State, but at the end of the day it was a pretty easy decision within the guidelines of the rules. Don't think you can blame the NCAA on this one.
What happened to the online classes he was still taking after the move?

Cael said in a pre-match interview sometime back ,that he hope to have kerk in nov 2020 or Jan 1 2021. So I know that happen ,not about anything else.

Do you remember who PSU’s 125 pounder was at the time? Psu coaches as well as a few other schools didn’t get the best report on glory. He wasn’t the best teammate in highschool. Often times showing up his teammates while sitting on the bench. Cael decided not to even bother.

Reactions: slushhead
Do you remember who PSU’s 125 pounder was at the time? Psu coaches as well as a few other schools didn’t get the best report on glory. He wasn’t the best teammate in highschool. Often times showing up his teammates while sitting on the bench. Cael decided not to even bother.
Suriano didn't stop Cael from recruiting Teasdale and Teske, and he had already left before Glory released his finalist list, right?

The rest of this could be true, though those issues were disqualifiers but Teasdale's weren't -- when Teasdale was already an Iowa commit?

Suriano didn't stop Cael from recruiting Teasdale and Teske, and he had already left before Glory released his finalist list, right?

The rest of this could be true, though those issues were disqualifiers but Teasdale's weren't -- when Teasdale was already an Iowa commit?

How would you feel about a potential "keep-away" strategy in recruiting? Obviously, I have no idea whether Cael would adopt it, but that's not to say it wouldn't be smart and effective
in the long game. When we all thought the Iowa commit was going to be a big deal, maybe that played into his continued recruitment?

How would you feel about a potential "keep-away" strategy in recruiting? Obviously, I have no idea whether Cael would adopt it, but that's not to say it wouldn't be smart and effective
in the long game. When we all thought the Iowa commit was going to be a big deal, maybe that played into his continued recruitment?
It makes sense in general. You'd always want the best guy, though it is a good tie-breaker between similar prospects.

Hard to pull off if Prospect B (Glory) does not share his list of schools -- how to know he's not considering Iowa or Ohio State?

Very risky if Prospect A (Teasdale) is already committed elsewhere. Doesn't mean stay away from A -- does mean continuing to pursue B until A is ready to flip and re-commit. (Better example of this: A = Beard, B = Hoffman -- though Beard was not a keep-away recruit. PSU did not turn Hoffman away after Beard left NW, waited for Beard to commit to PSU.)

That's before Teasdale's off the mat issues ...

Reactions: slushhead
I am uncertain. Port and Ashnault would have attended PSU for close to nothing if shown the tiniest amount of reciprocal interest. I do think Glory would have been a PSUer if the staff had reciprocated interest.
Whether a whiff, or just brutal honesty about what the staff sees at that moment as far as opportunities moving forward. Nobody's perfect and they have missed a few, but it is obvious they get it right far more often than not.

Just something to keep in mind with Glory. He went to Delbarton in High School, a private school with nearly 40k a year tuition. There's actually a video on Flo of him being asked why he went to Princeton rather than a school like Penn State and he responded something along the lines of "my parents didn't spend (some large amount of money) for me to go to high school so I could get a degree from Penn State".

Just something to keep in mind with Glory. He went to Delbarton in High School, a private school with nearly 40k a year tuition. There's actually a video on Flo of him being asked why he went to Princeton rather than a school like Penn State and he responded something along the lines of "my parents didn't spend (some large amount of money) for me to go to high school so I could get a degree from Penn State".

I'd say that's a conceited statement but it's honestly true, parents make that kind of investment to give them the upper hand for Ivy League schools.

I can't believe he said that after we put him in the alma mater and everything.

I can't speak for Port, but that is not remotely true about Ashnault. He loved Penn State, and was most definitely recruited by PSU, much more than a tiny amount of reciprocal interest, but the family ties and relationships in state helped him choose Rutgers. It worked out well for both schools. Zain and Anthony went back-and-forth in high school, and Zain won 2 Hodges for PSU and Ashnault got a title for Rutgers, got to wrestle with his South Plainfield teammates and became a Jersey legend.

From the NCAA site:
  • Five-year clock: Division I student-athletes have five calendar years from the first enrollment at a two- or four-year school to compete four seasons of competition.
Mormon Missions and ORS and Medical shirts are the only extension of this rule. In comparison to 5 years ago, they now hand out MRS like candy.
Add military

Reactions: redghost1974
From the NCAA site:
  • Five-year clock: Division I student-athletes have five calendar years from the first enrollment at a two- or four-year school to compete four seasons of competition.
Mormon Missions and ORS and Medical shirts are the only extension of this rule. In comparison to 5 years ago, they now hand out MRS like candy.

Could he probably get an injury redshirt because of his knee? If he wants it, which sounds like he doesn't, he could probably get it no?

So what's next for Kerk then? Olympic trials then knee surgery to be ready for next year.
I was interested in seeing him wrestle this year. On his feet he'd be as good as any heavy most likely but could he ride a guy, turn him, or get up from bottom with 260 pounds on him. Would of been interesting.

So what's next for Kerk then? Olympic trials then knee surgery to be ready for next year.
I was interested in seeing him wrestle this year. On his feet he'd be as good as any heavy most likely but could he ride a guy, turn him, or get up from bottom with 260 pounds on him. Would of been interesting.
This should give you a bit of insight on how he feels about a 2nd ACL surgery.

Ah ... Yeah.

Why do you think we set up our Slush Fund ? Duh ?! :eek:
I was referring to Joe Coe saying, "Glory left a hole in our lineup". I felt like it was greedy for an Iowa fan to be disappointed about not landing Pat Glory when they already have Spencer Lee in their lineup at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT