ADVERTISEMENT

The Women's U.S. Open was in Lancaster?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I had no idea it was being held in PA. Was it well publicized and I missed it?

I miss Annika. I saw her practicing bunker shots at Avalon Lakes and she made it look easy and she was robotically consistent. Cute too.

Sorry you missed a great tournament on a great old course. Record crowds for the tournaments. On Tuesday, which was a practice day, they set a record for a one day sale of merchandise for any USGA event. The Lancaster Country Club, the city and county and the volunteers did a wonderful job of hosting this event. Also Joe Buck, et al pronounced Lancaster correctly. Kudos to all involved.

Reactions: wplion

Here in south central PA it was talked about pretty heavily for the last month or so. There were a lot of people looking forward to it.

John

March Madness is held every March. And ends in April.
Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November. Every year.
April 1st is on the 1st day of April. Every year.
Christmas is the 25th of December. Every year.

Just so you are aware.

It was 6,483 yards, I don't know how that compares to other women's courses. It was a challenging course, but the golfers comments were all positive and they were energized by the crowd following each day. Some even commented they were blown away last Sunday as to the crowds of people to watch them hit off at the driving range and at the putting green. I worked three days and spent another just watching. The crowds kept growing each day. Of course Mother nature helped out by providing gorgeous weather, except for a strong, but quick storm on Thursday.

I remarked to my wife that I was impressed the announcers were all pronouncing Lancaster correctly.

I remarked to my wife that I was impressed the announcers were all pronouncing Lancaster correctly.
When ever the subject of Lancaster comes up to people who don't know, I remind them that the city is LANK-aster and the late actor Burt is
LAN-caster. Also, the city across from NYC is Newark (pronounced like it's one syllable) and the capital of Delaware is NEW-wark (both letter-"w"s pronounced, and in two syllables). And the city in Maine in BAN-gore, not BANG-her.

tve917-19701018-156.jpg
Jolly Jokers.

I miss Annika. I saw her practicing bunker shots at Avalon Lakes and she made it look easy and she was robotically consistent. Cute too.

Who would have suspected Lancaster CC is actually in Lancaster (PA)?

My home course is Skokie CC.....which is in Glencoe (IL). AND I totally missed us hosting the 1922 U.S. Open, won by Gene what's-his-name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT