ADVERTISEMENT

The play before the punt where Wartman got hurt

michnittlion

Sep 3, 2003
I didn't realize this until just now as I look at the play-by-play ----- it looks like the play before that punt was when Hackenberg missed DeSean Hamilton for the sure touchdown.

In retrospect, THAT is going to be the key play of the season. Make that pass and:

(1) we lead 17-0, ahead 3 scores and perhaps Temple's confidence levels go down the tubes. We win the game.

(2) Wartman, of course, doesn't get hurt. Because there is no punt.

I didn't realize this until just now as I look at the play-by-play ----- it looks like the play before that punt was when Hackenberg missed DeSean Hamilton for the sure touchdown.

In retrospect, THAT is going to be the key play of the season. Make that pass and:

(1) we lead 17-0, ahead 3 scores and perhaps Temple's confidence levels go down the tubes. We win the game.

Good catch on that. Another sequence was when Cabrinda jumped a route and had a pass go right off his hands. A few plays later, after a punt, their DE makes a one-handed stab for an INT that was, ostensibly, a pick six.

I agree that was the key play of the game and, as you said, maybe the season.

Good catch on that. Another sequence was when Cabrinda jumped a route and had a pass go right off his hands. A few plays later, after a punt, their DE makes a one-handed stab for an INT that was, ostensibly, a pick six.
That was the turning point I noted.

Football is a game of "momentum" due to confidence levels - when momentum is in your favor, you naturally play more aggressively. As momentum shifts, you start playing scared and in a way to try and stabilize the tide....I would liken it to trying to put sandbags up to stem a flood. As the momentum keeps going against you, you play scared and panic while the other team is playing with confidence. Another apt comparison is two great hitters in baseball - one who is slumping versus one on a career best hitting streak. They can both be great hitters, but the difference is completely mental and specifically "confidence" - your body has a way of producing what the mind is thinking. If all your thoughts are positive and your excited about the next action, results tend to follow....ditto negative thoughts. I don't know why it is, but I can absolutely confirm it is true having played competitive golf When you're playing well and your positive thoughts are being confirmed with positive shots, it becomes self-fulfilling and golf is easy. When things go bad and your mind fills with bad outcomes and your confidence level drops...., it becomes self-fulfilling and golf becomes very, very difficult.

Actually, I think what happened on that play - JC came sprinting in and his knee came up into where his hands were catching the ball and his knee kick literally knocked the ball out of his hands simultaneous to when the ball arrived.

One last thought, it may still be the play that makes the season, as the team will now find out what they're made of - they're are only two responses to what happened Saturday........fight or quit. That loss may have the opposite effect on the team than some believe because ask anybody who has played sports - you find out more about yourself in a loss than you do in a win, because wins are easy, but a loss tests your resiliency and determination..... "your metal" as coaches would say when I was growing up.....as in, are you going to "break" and quit or are you going to "hold" and fight. Read the poem "If" - it is very accurate, winning and losing are both imposters, its about demanding the most from yourself regardless of the situation because you can only impact the inputs, you can't control outcomes.

One last thought, it may still be the play that makes the season, as the team will now find out what they're made of - they're are only two responses to what happened Saturday........fight or quit. That loss may have the opposite effect on the team than some believe because ask anybody who has played sports - you find out more about yourself in a loss than you do in a win, because wins are easy, but a loss tests your resiliency and determination..... "your metal" as coaches would say when I was growing up.....as in, are you going to "break" and quit or are you going to "hold" and fight. Read the poem "If" - it is very accurate, winning and losing are both imposters, its about demanding the most from yourself regardless of the situation because you can only impact the inputs, you can't control outcomes.

good thought; BTW, the word is "mettle"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT