ADVERTISEMENT

No One Picking Us....What ya Got?

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
The overwhelming majority is calling for a Michigan win. And why should they with Franklin's track record in these games. Unfortunately I don't see us winning.

Ultimately it will come down to a few factors:

-McCarthy plays better than Allar because he is more experienced, more mobile and has a better offensive line.

-We can't run consistently against their front 7 which puts us behind schedule too often and we can't make plays in the passing game.

-The game plan is not creative enough to surprise Michigan and take advantage of some opportunities.

I think the game will be close but Michigan covers the 4.5 spread. I see a 24-17 or 24-14 game.

I think we come out with a lot of energy and possibly go up 3-0 or 7-0. I think Michigan scores late in 2nd quarter to take a lead. Something like 10-7 or 14-10 at halftime.

Something tells me some kind of combination of McCarthy converting at least one back breaking 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 8 with his legs then leads to us getting burned on a long pass. That sequence ends up being a critical difference maker.

Our defense will hold up pretty well but in the end we don't have enough and the offense has no one to step up to make a clutch play.

I have never wanted to be more wrong or proven wrong so we will see....

Cover3 chimes in. Penn State vs Michigan at the 32 minute mark. Signstealgate at the 1.30 mark.

The overwhelming majority is calling for a Michigan win. And why should they with Franklin's track record in these games. Unfortunately I don't see us winning.

-McCarthy plays better than Allar because he is more experienced, more mobile and has a better offensive line.

-We can't run consistently against their front 7 which puts us behind schedule too often and we can't make plays in the passing game.

-The game plan is not creative enough to surprise Michigan and take advantage of some opportunities.

I think the game will be close but Michigan covers the 4.5 spread. I see a 24-17 or 24-14 game.

I think we come out with a lot of energy and possibly go up 3-0 or 7-0. I think Michigan scores late in 2nd quarter to take a lead. Something like 10-7 or 14-10 at halftime.

Something tells me some kind of combination of McCarthy converting at least one back breaking 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 8 with his legs then leads to us getting burned on a long pass. That sequence ends up being a critical difference maker.

Our defense will hold up pretty well but in the end we don't have enough and the offense has no one to step up to make a clutch play.

I think you're correct but I hope you're wrong. I was surprised when TCU beat UM last year but they did it by slinging the ball around and keeping UM off balance. There was no doubt that UM was stronger on the LOS but TCU overcame that by keeping them moving. I'm not sure we have the WRs are good enough to do that and I'm not sure that the staff has the courage to play that type of game. I expect a lot of the usual runs between the tackles and trying not to make mistakes.

I think you're correct but I hope you're wrong. I was surprised when TCU beat UM last year but they did it by slinging the ball around and keeping UM off balance. There was no doubt that UM was stronger on the LOS but TCU overcame that by keeping them moving. I'm not sure we have the WRs are good enough to do that and I'm not sure that the staff has the courage to play that type of game. I expect a lot of the usual runs between the tackles and trying not to make mistakes.
Yes a play not to lose mentality that never wins. If we can run it gives us a good chance buI don't see us doing that.

I don't think we have any clue how good Michigan is. They are dominating lesser competition but have not played anyone as good as OSU, Iowa or even WVU.

Their best win is Rutgers.

PSU is more battled tested, is playing at home and has the strongest lineup that Michigan has seen since last season.

If PSU wins the turnover battle and can protect Allar, I think they win by a TD.

My hope and logical belief is that PSU gets every call by the refs.

U of M gets a holding call on offense.
U of M gets a TD called back.
Harbaugh gets thrown from the game by bumping Ref
U of M 110 yards in penalties to 5 against PSU.

PSU wins 14-10.

UofM cannot complain about reffing or bringing up a Big 10 bias because UofM fans have educated us, that blaming the refs is just whining.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
Franklin is 2-1 against Michigan at home when he has 85 scholarships. I think we have a decent chance to pull it out.
IMO we'll need to win the TO battle and even score on defense or special teams. I don't think we can win by dominating the LOS.

facts...

• UM has looked great so far this year both on offense and defense
  • Their worst defensive game is 13 against Purdue and offense hasn't scored less than 30 against East Carolina
  • Their signature game is probably Rutgers or Indiana. Both of those were home games.
  • They've played Nebraska, Minnesota, and Sparty on the road
  • They haven't played against a team anywhere near as talented as PSU at home or on the road
  • The best head-to-head is Indiana who played us tough and got blown out at UM 52 - 7. Indy had 4 turnovers to UM's 0.
  • UM's McCarthy has thrown 3 INTs and he's fumbled 3 times but all of them were recovered. The stats I saw had no other fumbles by UM so far this season.
  • PSU has played two teams better than any UM has played this season in WVu and tOSU. Iowa may also be better than anyone UM has played
Observations
  • anyone other than a PSU fan has to pick UM. They've been a juggernaut so far this year. PSU has had some good games but have had a couple of stinkers (tOSU and Indy)
  • One has to wonder how distracted UM may be based on current events. They probably will not have the benefit of knowing our signs like they have had so far this season and probably last year as well
  • UM hasn't experienced a tough team or a challenging away environment this year
  • PSU played better last week but did we play better or just play a lousy team?
Predictions
  • I think Allar plays a better game than he did at tOSU
  • OL will struggle to keep UM at bay and PSU MUST establish a ground game to keep their pass rushers from going hog wild
  • WRs will struggle to get open against a better UM defensive backfield than MDs
  • Defense should be good against UM's capable running and passing offense. UM has worked on their passing game and hasn't brought their running A game so far this year
  • PSU has to come out hot and put pressure on UM early to both a) gain confidence and b) make UM feel pressure that they haven't experienced yet this year
  • Sorry, I see UM winning easily. I am going with 31 - 10 cheaters.

Last edited:
I’ve stayed pretty much out of the JF stay or go argument. I have always felt that elite QB has prevented them from being elite a lot more than coaching. I have also felt that PSUs roster has always lacked the necessary depth to be elite. This group has more talent and depth, and has a potential elite QB. But that QB is in his first go around with little experience. So as I said against OSU, it comes down to Allar moving the ball around and not staring down the receiver he thinks in pre-snap will be open. Not betting this game. The initial line made me believe PSU has a punchers chance. If this was a non-PSU game line, I would have bet the dog at home.

I'm fearful that this game will be much like the Ohio State game. They will stack the line and take away the run. They will play man on our receivers, and our receivers won't be good enough to get open. Thus, we will rarely make a third down conversion and eventually our defense will get worn out.

I hope our defense plays as they're capable, we create turnovers and win the field position battle coming away with a convincing win in a low scoring game
The fear is Michigan's D does what Ohio State's defense did. We don't have the play makers, Too many 3 & outs. The D tires and Michigan wins going away.
Sadly, the second option is probably more likely.
I think picking us to win isn't believing we're going to win (I really thought we could beat Ohio State) but just hoping we do. There's been nothing this year to indicate we can win other than maybe Michigan is overrated since they haven't played anyone. That Ohio State game was a killer.

I'm fearful that this game will be much like the Ohio State game. They will stack the line and take away the run. They will play man on our receivers, and our receivers won't be good enough to get open. Thus, we will rarely make a third down conversion and eventually our defense will get worn out.
I think UM's offense is better. I don't think their defense is as good. But I agree with you, if we can't sustain a running game and ball control, our defense will have a tough time not wearing down.

I would agree with your assessment. Hard not to think things will be different from the OSU game. Should things be different in terms of performance (offensively) and play-calling? Yes. Will they be? Until I see it, I won't believe it.

400 yards rushing in last year's game is crazy. Can it swing completely the other way in this one? I hope so but what has dramatically changed? Not knowing the defensive play signals is certainly one factor though I'm not pinning all or most of their success (vs us and others) on the sign stealing.

No doubt that PSU has to play their best game from a performance standpoint--offensively, defensively, and special teams but also need some creativity on the coaching side. But let's be real, we need Michigan to be off and a little luck would help.

As it stands, I don't think this team is built to come from behind so they have to start strong, have a few unexpected things go our way, increase in confidence as the game goes, keep the refs quiet (sorry but how many times have the refs been a momentum stopper in games vs OSU/UM?), and then, I see a path to winning.

But going back to my opener, I'll have to see all of that to believe it. My heart says 21-13 good guys but my head says 24-10 cheaters.

One thing is certain to me. CJF needs to change signals during the game. Change at halftime for sure and maybe even each quarter. UM has blown teams out in the third quarter and theirs probably a good reason for that. I know Stalions won't be there but he trained others for sure.

If CJF coaches to win the game by staying aggressive the whole game... PSU 38 - UM 23

• Haha
I would agree with your assessment. Hard not to think things will be different from the OSU game. Should things be different in terms of performance (offensively) and play-calling? Yes. Will they be? Until I see it, I won't believe it.

400 yards rushing in last year's game is crazy. Can it swing completely the other way in this one? I hope so but what has dramatically changed? Not knowing the defensive play signals is certainly one factor though I'm not pinning all or most of their success (vs us and others) on the sign stealing.

No doubt that PSU has to play their best game from a performance standpoint--offensively, defensively, and special teams but also need some creativity on the coaching side. But let's be real, we need Michigan to be off and a little luck would help.

As it stands, I don't think this team is built to come from behind so they have to start strong, have a few unexpected things go our way, increase in confidence as the game goes, keep the refs quiet (sorry but how many times have the refs been a momentum stopper in games vs OSU/UM?), and then, I see a path to winning.

But going back to my opener, I'll have to see all of that to believe it. My heart says 21-13 good guys but my head says 24-10 cheaters.

Ohio State has the best receivers in college ball, and Henderson is more explosive than Michigan's running backs.

Otherwise though, Michigan is a better team than OSU.

27-13, good guys.

jersey-1.jpeg

Ohio State has the best receivers in college ball, and Henderson is more explosive than Michigan's running backs.

Otherwise though, Michigan is a better team than OSU.

27-13, good guys.

jersey-1.jpeg
If by good guys you mean PSU, then yes.

I think UM's offense is better. I don't think their defense is as good. But I agree with you, if we can't sustain a running game and ball control, our defense will have a tough time not wearing down.
Michigan's offense is the difference. McCarthy is the best QB we have faced.
Their running backs and O Line are the best we faced (Henderson did not play against us).

They have a better QB, better O-Line, better WRs, better RBs.

Our defense is probably as good as theirs or slightly better with better coaching. But their offense will be able to make more plays than ours and that is the ball game.

This is THE game period the playbook should be wide open no excuses so James show us you can win a big game, cheaters 27 nits 10 show me you can win James

I can't pick PSU to win, simply because we haven't shown we can win these types of games. My heart says PSU, but with a gun to my head saying "if you pick correctly, you live"? Gotta go UM. And along with that gun to my head to win my life, let's say there is an added kicker to win $1,000,000 for each point I come within guessing the final score correctly? I'm saying UM 41 - PSU 17.

I don't think we have any clue how good Michigan is. They are dominating lesser competition but have not played anyone as good as OSU, Iowa or even WVU.

Their best win is Rutgers.

PSU is more battled tested, is playing at home and has the strongest lineup that Michigan has seen since last season.

If PSU wins the turnover battle and can protect Allar, I think they win by a TD.
can't argue with the schedule, it has been some yummy cupcakes...that's why you watch them play, not sure you have..defensively, they are better than last year, and much deeper...this is the BT's best defense, and psu's offense will struggle to move the ball all day..the OL is not as good as last year, but overall is best in the conference...34-17 UM, psu getting a td on either special teams or defense..

• Haha
Reactions: Global Fan

31-13 psu. Win turnover battle 3-0 , down 13-10 at half

I see us going down 14-0 with McCarthy looking like a Heisman winner while we only manage a couple of 3-and-outs. They're about to make it 21-0, then one of our defenders late hits McCarthy out of bounds, drawing a flag but no real harm to McCarthy, just the threat of it. Harbaugh, allowed to coach only through legal maneuvering, is incensed and loses focus, jawing with our defender, who keeps talking to him all game when opportunity arises. McCarthy is ready to put the dagger in with a long TD pass, but is pressured and underthrows and is intercepted. Allar then leads us on a long scoring drive, capped by a TD by Allen. The defense settles in gets a stop and and Allar ties it up with a long TD to Cephas beating man coverage. We get the ball back and after a few long runs add another Allar to Cephas TD before the half to make it 21-14. In the second half McCarthy is clearly rattled, as is Harbaugh. Michigan is starting to realize that the whole thing is going to be over soon and they can't seem to do anything right. Penn State meanwhile is getting more and more confident and continues to pour it on. Final score Penn State 48, Michigan 14.

I wish. But I think our defense plays its game of the year, McCarthy makes a mistake or two the leads to points and Allar plays better than expected. We finally get an explosive play in the running game. I think something like Penn State 27, Michigan 17.

(I know, I know, it was 14-7 at the time and Parlavecchio hit a wide receiver, but wouldn't you love to see that kind of attitude from our team today?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
Michigan's offense is the difference. McCarthy is the best QB we have faced.
Their running backs and O Line are the best we faced (Henderson did not play against us).

They have a better QB, better O-Line, better WRs, better RBs.

Our defense is probably as good as theirs or slightly better with better coaching. But their offense will be able to make more plays than ours and that is the ball game.
Michigan has been playing well, but ceiling is as high or better for QB and running backs. Olu will be the best OL on the field.

Since when did Michigan become the Miami Hurricanes of early 2000?

Michigan's blue chip ratio simply does not warrant the amount of doom and gloom on this board. Michigan was up 20-6 at home mid 3rd quarter vs Purdue. Let's not act like they are the 85 Chicago Bears.

If Michigan is a favorite, it is because PSU simply shits the bed in the 4th in big games no matter who they play under Franklin.

The bigger question is why do PSU 4 and 5 stars play like 2 stars when it matters?

Reactions: IANit

Our defense will hold up pretty well but ie n the end we don't have enough and the offense has no one to step up to make a clutch play.

Unfortunately for you, no one with an IQ above 60... Cares about your long winded histrionic 🐂 shit.

• Haha
Since when did Michigan become the Miami Hurricanes of early 2000?

Michigan's blue chip ratio simply does not warrant the amount of doom and gloom on this board. Michigan was up 20-6 at home mid 3rd quarter vs Purdue. Let's not act like they are the 85 Chicago Bears.

If Michigan is a favorite, it is because PSU simply shits the bed in the 4th in big games no matter who they play under Franklin.

The bigger question is why do PSU 4 and 5 stars play like 2 stars when it matters?
The game will be pretty close and we will play well. Not great but good. Michigan is a better team. If we lose I don't think it will because our players choked as you suggest. This does not get Franklin off the hook because with an excellent and innovative game plan we could win but we won't get that. What does that mean, certain wrinkles in the offense that we have not shown that can get our tight ends open. Something in the passing game to free up a KLS or Cephas. Singleton in space more, running Drew, reverse. Pribula, etc. But I don't think we will see a lot of creativity. On defense I have more confidence Diaz could dial up a few things to rattle/confuse McCarthy. Maybe a turnover for a score?

Ultimately I don't see it happening for us and it won't be a meltdown. Michigan is an excellent team. Beatable yes but I don't see it on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT