ADVERTISEMENT

The importance of the Iowa win

We are recruiting at a level that Iowa at home should be a 2+ TD victory easily.

A great 2018 recruiting class doesn’t mean instant success. Hell, neither does a great 2017 class. The percentage of true freshmen and sophomores that make immediate game-changing impacts is VERY small.

I swear to the good lord I’m on the cusp of auto-ignoring these morons that find even the smallest thing to b!tch about. It was said by NUMEROUS posters, the vast majority of whom are very seasoned posters, that this would be a rebuilding season and that we’re not yet to the point of reloading. And that was solely talking about the players, with no mention of the coaching turnover.

Something tells me these here boards are about to become very slow for me.....
Your last sentence is probably a good idea considering the emotional response.
But to be honest you need to admit we have recruited at a much higher level than iowa for 4 yrs now.

Then I guess it’s settled. We’re gonna lose to Michigan this weekend because they’ve out-recruited us 2 of the last 3 years. Good thing recruiting classes determine wins and losses. o_O :confused:
Recruiting classes have been very close between UM and PSU, and regardless I think we surprise the country this weekend. However, most rationale people will say that there are more examples like Bama, Clemson, and OSU recruiting their way to victory than Wiscy overachieving/coaching their way to victory ,for example. Based on recruiting we should be beating up Iowa rather than squeaking by and we should consistently beating MSU now but I acknowledge that perhaps it will be another year or two to truly be past the effects of the sanctions.

Recruiting classes have been very close between UM and PSU, and regardless I think we surprise the country this weekend. However, most rationale people will say that there are more examples like Bama, Clemson, and OSU recruiting their way to victory than Wiscy overachieving/coaching their way to victory ,for example. Based on recruiting we should be beating up Iowa rather than squeaking by and we should consistently beating MSU now but I acknowledge that perhaps it will be another year or two to truly be past the effects of the sanctions.

You and I are on the same page with this one. It's especially clear on the DL and LB (where we're having our biggest issues) where it takes recruits 2 (if they're rockstars a la YGM) but more like 3 years to develop into stout players. we're seeing the tail end of the effects of the BoB years of recruiting right now, with CJF needing to spend his first 2 or so years recruiting skill players and OLers. I do agree that if you strictly look at the recruiting numbers, we should be smoking teams like MSU and Iowa, however if there's one thing that Wisky has shown us (besides playing in the west) it's that players that have 4 and 5 years of experience with the occasional diamond in the rough are generally better than a bunch of high 3 and 4 stars. Of course Bama, Clemson, UGA, tOSU.... etc are exceptions as they routinely recruit the best of the best who have the ability to step in and be game changers right away, but we're not there. we have that second tier that takes a year or two to become game changers. but oooooh am I excited to see the D next year and especially the year after that. the 2017 and 2018 classes are gonna be MONSTERS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT