ADVERTISEMENT

The Fan, Pgh

Finebaum just played Franklin's clip from coach's press conference, and then said nobody believes him (Franklin) and people don't want to hear about it days after it happened.

THEN WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP, YOU MORON?!?!?

The Pitters had to divert the "ICE " dialog to Franklin since Narduzzi's coaching during the OkSt game "iced" the fans to sleep and then the students who remained for the entire game found out their free drink did not include ice.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I don't think icing the kicker is a big deal. "you play to win the game"...all the way up to the final whistle, regardless of score.

However, coming out after the fact and telling bold face lies about you weren't trying to ice the kicker, you were trying to makes substitutions....that makes people question your character.

Some day, tho probably not, Pitt may find itself in a position where it has to pass the "eye test" in order to make the playoffs. If shutting someone out helps with the eye test, than Franklin did what he had to do and what he is being paid for.
Why doesn't anyone look at the other side of the coin? You're losing 56-0 and you go for a field goal instead of a TD? Geez, man up and try and actually score something that gives you momentum for the next game. Of course the morons in the media can't grasp this concept.

This is hilarious. A Syracuse guy and a Northwestern guy both on the Pitt flagship station have bad things to say about Penn State. What a surprise. The Yinzer callers are apopletic.

Maybe I should call in and throw a little more dynamite into the pond. I'm feeling frisky - I'll really give them something to get fired up about.

Filliponi compared CJF to Pete Carroll.

Boy I wish. If Franklin can accomplish with us what Pete did at USC (minus the shenanigans), then things are going to be just fine.

Anyone in radio range - tune in. Bob Mr. Pitt Pompiani is going to be on soon for more comedy gold.

They both bash Pitt at any given turn. I cannot stand that radio station..

Finebaum just played Franklin's clip from coach's press conference, and then said nobody believes him (Franklin) and people don't want to hear about it days after it happened.

THEN WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP, YOU MORON?!?!?

Bullshit, Trevor Matich was all for it

Try this analogy. I read this one somewhere else. Your winning a baseball game 10-0 and your pitcher is tossing a no hitter. There is a close call at first base in the 9th inning with the runner declared safe. Do you appeal it or not? Of course you do

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I think Francesa and the the Pgh media only ones making a big deal. Most others have no problem!!!

Most others actually know what happened. The clickbait headlines and sensationalized this incident generated would have made the National Enquirer jealous.

This is hilarious. A Syracuse guy and a Northwestern guy both on the Pitt flagship station have bad things to say about Penn State. What a surprise. The Yinzer callers are apopletic.

Maybe I should call in and throw a little more dynamite into the pond. I'm feeling frisky - I'll really give them something to get fired up about.

Filliponi compared CJF to Pete Carroll.

Boy I wish. If Franklin can accomplish with us what Pete did at USC (minus the shenanigans), then things are going to be just fine.

Anyone in radio range - tune in. Bob Mr. Pitt Pompiani is going to be on soon for more comedy gold.
I actually think the Carroll comparison is pretty accurate. Carroll was famous for having his guys compete every single game and practice and never giving an inch to the competition. They are also both high energy guys and great recruiters and let their players have fun resulting in their teams playing loose.

Don't worry too much about it. You have to keep in mind that pitt has not played consistent, competitive football for some time now and the concept is forgotten, or in some cases a new idea for their fans and fake media.

I don't think icing the kicker is a big deal. "you play to win the game"...all the way up to the final whistle, regardless of score.

However, coming out after the fact and telling bold face lies about you weren't trying to ice the kicker, you were trying to makes substitutions....that makes people question your character.
When you say Franklin told "bald face lies"

When you say Franklin told "bald face lies", your bias is showing. The unit substitution took place just has Franklin said,

When you say Franklin told a "bald face lie", your bias is showing. The unit substitution took place just like he said. If his only intent was to ice the kicker, that wouldn't have happened.

Those complaining are proponents of give everyone a participation ribbon (lettum score its good for their self esteem).

I haven't listened to 93.7 The Fan since March of 2012. When I heard them say "Joe Paterno got what he deserved and we (sPITT) fans have been saying for 30 years he was a no good, cheating, lieing, criminal", and the Fan host piled on, I vowed to myself to never again listen to such vile garbage that was totally filled with despicable hate, envy and jealousy.

Reactions: Mixolydian

When you ice the kicker your trying to make the kid miss the field goal. When you call a time out to get your field goal block team out there you're trying to make the kid miss the field goal. So in the end EVERYBODY knew that Penn State didn't want to let them make the field goal. Why am I not getting the outrage?

Yeah that's really great except that 9 of the 11 players on the PSU defense were different after the timeout dipshit. You think he thought that up on the fly?

So he's either telling the truth or so quickly covered his tracks after calling the timeout that he thought on the fly to change out 80% of the the players so he had an alibi. I'll say this - if he did make it up on the fly then I'm even more impressed and love that Coach Franklin is our coach. Because that would be downright impressive and true to character of a man who thinks of everything and has a backup plan in place for every possible outcome. Tongue in cheek of course but either way I'm good.

Reactions: Mixolydian
Funny, Urban Meyer challenged a spot late in the 4th quarter when they were beating us by about 40. No one said shit about it.

We wear the black hats now. People are going to come after us for whatever bullshit they can come up with. Hell, everyone hates Notre Dame. They've been used to shit like this for years. My advice is don't let it bother you. Penn State is relevant again or they wouldn't be talking about us.

When you ice the kicker your trying to make the kid miss the field goal. When you call a time out to get your field goal block team out there you're trying to make the kid miss the field goal. So in the end EVERYBODY knew that Penn State didn't want to let them make the field goal. Why am I not getting the outrage?
To be honest, nobody in blue and white wanted the kid to make the field goal. JF just did what he could to support it.

To be honest, nobody in blue and white wanted the kid to make the field goal. JF just did what he could to support it.

He did what a coach does that is playing for a championship, and was left on the outside last year even after winning his conference championship. No one would say a word if Saban, Meyer or the sleepover king at Michigan would have done this. In fact, they would have been praised for it.

Pitt fans' behavior furthers the idea that they don't care about their team as much as they care about bashing Penn State. They know they aren't relevant and PSU is, so they will spend their time trying to find anything negative they can about PSU as opposed to worrying about their own team.

Funny, Urban Meyer challenged a spot late in the 4th quarter when they were beating us by about 40. No one said shit about it.

We wear the black hats now. People are going to come after us for whatever bullshit they can come up with. Hell, everyone hates Notre Dame. They've been used to shit like this for years. My advice is don't let it bother you. Penn State is relevant again or they wouldn't be talking about us.
Let them hate. So long as they fear.

Pitt fans' behavior furthers the idea that they don't care about their team as much as they care about bashing Penn State. They know they aren't relevant and PSU is, so they will spend their time trying to find anything negative they can about PSU as opposed to worrying about their own team.
And again, this is nothing new. Been going on in this town since the 1960's.. They hated Paterno, now it's Franklin. Doesn't matter who it is, they'll manufacture a reason. And it's not just the fans. The sports media here is right on it also.

There's interesting psychology at work here that a missed FG in a 56-0 game has attracted such incredible attention from Francesa, Finebaum, Pitt media, Pitt (and other school) fans. If Shrink was still here I'm sure he'd have a lot to say. ;)

In all seriousness, CJF must be doing something right if he is being criticized by Francesa, Finebaum, Feinstein, Pitt media, and Pitt fans. What a group of know-nothings. I would be worried if they all were saying that CJF were doing a good job.

The time to start worrying is when opposing coaches start saying that you are doing a good job when your team is struggling. Those coaches just want to keep you in place so that they can keep winning against you.

I think Francesa and the the Pgh media only ones making a big deal. Most others have no problem!!!
Unfortunately, that's not the case. On Syrius ESPNU, every show I've heard this week has talked about it.

Last night, Mark Packer was going crazy, saying that Franklin was jerk. He talked about it for 15 minutes. Today, one of the shows had Holly Rowe on asking her about it.

I don't know what the.big deal is, but this story is really getting some legs.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. On Syrius ESPNU, every show I've heard this week has talked about it.

Last night, Mark Packer was going crazy, saying that Franklin was jerk. He talked about it for 15 minutes. Today, one of the shows had Holly Rowe on asking her about it.

But yesterday Chris Childers was trashing Francesca for getting so worked up about it.

In all seriousness, CJF must be doing something right if he is being criticized by Francesa, Feinstein, Pitt media, and Pitt fans. What a group of know-nothings. I would be worried if they all were saying that CJF were doing a good job.

The time to start worrying is when opposing coaches start saying that you are doing a good job when your team is struggling. Those coaches just want to keep you in place so that they can keep winning against you.

Yup. Who are the most criticized and hated coaches in America? Saban. Meyer. Swinney. They cheat, they don't care about the players, they run gladiator schools, blah blah blah. Pete Carroll got roasted for years. All they did was win.

And all of they are crying as they climb the stairs to the podium to lift the Championship trophy. They are just torn up about the criticism they get.

Winners always get criticized - usually by people who don't win.

Reactions: odshowtime
It's all a work. None of these people going nuts about it could give a flyin' fish. I just listened to Fresca's Fabricated Flabbergast on YT and it's completely contrived, as is 99.9% of all talk radio, especially sports.
There is absolutely an anti-PSU bias going on and it's crap like this that proves it. Other coaches rubbed our faces in it when we were heavily sanctioned and no one said a word.

Yup. Who are the most criticized and hated coaches in America? Saban. Meyer. Swinney. They cheat, they don't care about the players, they run gladiator schools, blah blah blah. Pete Carroll got roasted for years. All they did was win.

And all of they are crying as they climb the stairs to the podium to lift the Championship trophy. They are just torn up about the criticism they get.

Winners always get criticized - usually by people who don't win.
Talking heads love Saban, Meyer and Swinney. They bow down to them. Fans of other teams may hate them, but the media certainly doesn't.

Reactions: dalions81
There is absolutely an anti-PSU bias going on and it's crap like this that proves it. Other coaches rubbed our faces in it when we were heavily sanctioned and no one said a word.
Not trying to start a fight, but . . . so what. It sure ain't hurting recruiting. We're winning big and breaking scoreboards like demons.

For 40 years we did everything right and had a coach that was the ultimate in sportsmanship. And that got us what when the SHTF. So they can all line up now and KMA. As long as we continue to bring in guys who are not going to be criminals and dangers to the public and we keep them in shape academically, I'm all for going rogue.

Put on the black hat, raise high the flag of piracy, stick a dagger between your teeth and commence to slitting throats. It's our time now - and the media, the opposing teams and most especially the opposing fans can look out below.

Not trying to start a fight, but . . . so what. It sure ain't hurting recruiting. We're winning big and breaking scoreboards like demons.

For 40 years we did everything right and had a coach that was the ultimate in sportsmanship. And that got us what when the SHTF. So they can all line up now and KMA. As long as we continue to bring in guys who are not going to be criminals and dangers to the public and we keep them in shape academically, I'm all for going rogue.

Put on the black hat, raise high the flag of piracy, stick a dagger between your teeth and commence to slitting throats. It's our time now - and the media, the opposing teams and most especially the opposing fans can look out below.
I agree...I hope PSU plays with a chip on their shoulder every game. It's great motivation.

Yup. And this all has a shelf life of this week's games then they will move on to the latest outrage du jour.

booomsuckit_zpsa6b9d9e8.gif~c200

Well what would you have someone do about it? Call Francesa and straighten him out? I'm sure you'll get two words in before he starts yelling and screaming while all the lines light up. Nobody at PSU cares, clearly. It's the national pastime to shit all over PSU at every opportunity, but all this outrage over three points in a blowout is in my opinion, a complete clicks-and-ratings all you can eat BBQ for the media, over the most insignificant thing imaginable. Look at it for what it is. Don't get worked up over it, there'll be something else for ESPN and talk radio to get all wadded up about this weekend. Don't forget these are the same hypocrites who talk about "big boy football" all the time, and playing sixty minutes, so it's pretty hard for me to believe them when they act like this matters. They're biased but they want clicks and ratings above anything.

It's all a work. None of these people going nuts about it could give a flyin' fish. I just listened to Fresca's Fabricated Flabbergast on YT and it's completely contrived, as is 99.9% of all talk radio, especially sports.
Sports talk radio has waaaay more available air time than there is interesting or relevant content.

It's mostly a waste of time.

For what it's worth, the BTN crew had no issue with it. Seemed to agree with it in fact. They used to crap on us too, but lately they seem to have come around and can't heap enough praise on Franklin and PSU.

Why watch or listen to anything related to ESPN if you don't have to?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT