ADVERTISEMENT

The Cleveland Guardians...

Let’s not forget there are teams named after sock colors. Perspective folks.
yeah, or teams named after lakes in MN who are now in LA, teams named after Brooklyn streetcars, who are now in LA, Teams in Utah named for the music of New Orleans...and so forth.

Reactions: Midnighter2
In all honesty, who cares. I mean it, who can actually, other than a Cleveland fan gather enough energy to care about this one way or the other. Only stupid people with no time care about Cleveland changing their baseball teams name. (On both sides)

(Stolen from the Dan Patrick Show)

Kids were playing in the field next door.
Half had cap guns and rifles while the rest had bows, arrows and spears.
I asked, “What’re you kids doing?”
“Playing cowboys and Guardians.” came the reply

yeah, or teams named after lakes in MN who are now in LA, teams named after Brooklyn streetcars, who are now in LA, Teams in Utah named for the music of New Orleans...and so forth.

Someone on twitter posted the artwork they submitted a while ago during an online name change contest. This looks a lot better than the repurposed artwork shown earlier:

EZn1a4gXYAIc1pB.jpg

I like these too:

guadriansdribbble_4x.jpg

d6eb6dcb1a40fabcb445f9770b9a2046.png

These are the official logos/text:

cleveland-guardians-indians-mlb-2021.jpg

HQ4IA5ZDK5AQRDTOLYYTADJOX4.jpg

Someone on twitter posted the artwork they submitted a while ago during an online name change contest. This looks a lot better than the repurposed artwork shown earlier:

EZn1a4gXYAIc1pB.jpg

I like these too:

guadriansdribbble_4x.jpg

These all look great. Word is that they only settled on "Guardians" a couple of weeks ago after they felt comfortable that they had no real contactual/copywrite issues. And they wanted to get it out there for the "impact" with Tom Hanks' video. There is more to come. A PD writer pointed out that the Cavaliers have something like five logos so I wouldn't be surprised, Chief Wahoo was a kid's drawing for a contest the local paper (back in the 1940's IIRC) had to create an "Indians" logo which previously didn't exist. I guess the point is that they aren't done with it yet. BTW, the new "C" is supposed to look like a shield.

EZn1a4gXYAIc1pB.jpg

I like these too:

guadriansdribbble_4x.jpg

Here is the article if this kind of thing interests you:

Reactions: Midnighter2
PDJT weighs in:

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

07/22/21

Can anybody believe that the Cleveland Indians, a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country. Wouldn’t it be an honor to have a team named the Cleveland Indians, and wouldn’t it be disrespectful to rip that name and logo off of those jerseys? The people of Cleveland cannot be thrilled and I, as a FORMER baseball fan, cannot believe things such as this are happening. A small group of people, with absolutely crazy ideas and policies, is forcing these changes to destroy our culture and heritage. At some point, the people will not take it anymore!

Stanford dropped their Indian mascot 50 years ago for PC reasons, so, yes, it is quite easy to believe that Cleveland also decided to change its team name. I’m surprised it lasted this long.

Can they still be called the tribe? Doesn't exactly seem fitting anymore.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Thanks for the nice reply.

Cleveland has such a bad reputation...but it is from decades ago. That fire was in 1969....over 50 years ago. Global warming has been wonderful. The Lake is clear and blue, fishing is awesome, winters have been mild, housing is affordable, the restaurant scene is robust, and generally, our sports teams are better than Pittsburgh's.

Minny has been one of my favorite cities. I used to go to Brit's Pub and do some lawn bowling at a yearly charity event and have breakfast at Hell's Kitchen the next morning while staying at the Doubletree. Sadly, those days are long gone for Minny and many of our great cities.

One was physical polution, the other was mental polution.
Thanks for the nice reply.

Cleveland has such a bad reputation...but it is from decades ago. That fire was in 1969....over 50 years ago. Global warming has been wonderful. The Lake is clear and blue, fishing is awesome, winters have been mild, housing is affordable, the restaurant scene is robust, and generally, our sports teams are better than Pittsburgh's.

Minny has been one of my favorite cities. I used to go to Brit's Pub and do some lawn bowling at a yearly charity event and have breakfast at Hell's Kitchen the next morning while staying at the Doubletree. Sadly, those days are long gone for Minny and many of our great cities.
Don't count "us" out yet. Much of the area is already rebuilt. With legitimate pledges to do more. All major cities have challenges. I just choose to believe we will turn this around.

Regarding Cleveland, how can we not like a city that processed/ processes our Taconite?

Now take it to the White Sox!

Cheers!

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
One was physical polution, the other was mental polution.

Don't count "us" out yet. Much of the area is already rebuilt. With legitimate pledges to do more. All major cities have challenges. I just choose to believe we will turn this around.

Regarding Cleveland, how can we not like a city that processed/ processes our Taconite?

Now take it to the White Sox!

Cheers!
Regarding global warming, some have been relocating to Duluth, Minnesota to escape wildfire zones and water shortages. Talk about a drastic change.

Stanford dropped their Indian mascot 50 years ago for PC reasons, so, yes, it is quite easy to believe that Cleveland also decided to change its team name. I’m surprised it lasted this long.
The Braves and the Chiefs are laughing.

In all honesty, who cares. I mean it, who can actually, other than a Cleveland fan gather enough energy to care about this one way or the other. Only stupid people with no time care about Cleveland changing their baseball teams name. (On both sides)
This is not about the name being changed, it’s about why the name was changed. It’s the same reason people fight back against certain books being pulled from libraries even if they never intend to read those books.

This is not about the name being changed, it’s about why the name was changed. It’s the same reason people fight back against certain books being pulled from libraries even if they never intend to read those books.
Nah, you guys are saying the same thing about confederate statues.

I agree with the people who want to ban western books and enlightenment principles are morons. Cleveland Guardians isn’t the same thing. Trying to tie them together however tenuously makes your argument weaker.

One is a denial of the values that make us a great country. The other is just being polite. By equating them as the same, you make the argument or the former weaker. Just my opinion. Then Again I think both the left and the right are complete morons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac and Grant Green
If they wanted historical, why not go with the Cleveland Generals after the city's namesake?

Also, it appears that there is a roller derby team named the Cleveland Guardians that have been around since at least 2016. I hope they demand a tidy sum for their url: http://www.clevelandguardians.com/ Their page is timing out a lot, so I included a screenshot.

clevelandguardians.png

Looks like the existing Cleveland Guardians might be getting some new skates…

Cleveland Guardians: Is It Blank Check Time?

Last edited:
When does the Guardians name become effective? Next season? Newspaper reports are still referring to the team as the Indians.

When does the Guardians name become effective? Next season? Newspaper reports are still referring to the team as the Indians.
Yes. Next season. This year they are the Indians, as revolting as that is. In my house we call them the “Schmindians”. Just to be safe

Nah, you guys are saying the same thing about confederate statues.

I agree with the people who want to ban western books and enlightenment principles are morons. Cleveland Guardians isn’t the same thing. Trying to tie them together however tenuously makes your argument weaker.

One is a denial of the values that make us a great country. The other is just being polite. By equating them as the same, you make the argument or the former weaker. Just my opinion. Then Again I think both the left and the right are complete morons.
See, I think you weaken your argument by bringing up Confederate statues. It’s more like trying to take down statues of Lincoln. But they’re all about the few deciding what’s best for the many….that’s what book banning is about. And these decisions are political, that’s another problem with them. People want to ban rapper Tom McDonald because of his lyrics, but Cardi B is treated as some kind of feminist hero. It’s not about offending people, it’s about who’s offended. It’s okay to offend some, but not others. That’s a slippery slope that this country should not go down. That’s why it’s bigger than just the name of a team. And I too am not a big fan of the left or the right…I have beliefs on both sides of the aisle.

Yes. Next season. This year they are the Indians, as revolting as that is. In my house we call them the “Schmindians”. Just to be safe
What do you call the Braves and the Chiefs? Just curious.

• Haha
If they wanted historical, why not go with the Cleveland Generals after the city's namesake?

Also, it appears that there is a roller derby team named the Cleveland Guardians that have been around since at least 2016. I hope they demand a tidy sum for their url: http://www.clevelandguardians.com/ Their page is timing out a lot, so I included a screenshot.

clevelandguardians.png

Cleveland Guardians roller derby team sues baseball club over name change
Updated: Oct. 27, 2021, 10:12 a.m. Cleveland.com.

“It is inconceivable that an organization worth more than $1 billion and estimated to have annual revenues of $290 million plus would not at least have performed a Google search for ‘Cleveland Guardians’ before settling on the name, and even a cursory search would have returned Plaintiff’s website (www.clevelandguardians.com) as the first ‘hit,’ " the lawsuit said.
“The Indians only offered to pay a nominal amount, likely no more than 15 minutes of annual team revenue,” the lawsuit says.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT