ADVERTISEMENT

Teske

“Will Penn State’s fan base conduct itself appropriately? Or will Rec Hall’s legions descend into a boorish bunch of condemners and complainers?”

John Wooden said something like: “I wish all my friends win one national championship, and I wish all my enemies win two.”
Yeah--I think some of this unfortunately just goes with the territory. I admire the sentiment in the article--try to remember to remain humble and grateful as a fan and all, but dominating a sport will make you hated by many, fairly or otherwise. And that changes your perspective too.

“Will Penn State’s fan base conduct itself appropriately? Or will Rec Hall’s legions descend into a boorish bunch of condemners and complainers?”.”

Eh, I don’t really agree with the question.

Fans of pro sports who also follow a college team (football / basketball) tend to bring their pro sports fans attitude of boorishness & complaining to the college game.

So many wrestling fans have also wrestled, or coached, or have family who wrestle - and understand the effort and dedication required.

College Wrestling fans seem to have more tolerance (I would like to assume).

Teske, Schnupp, Meredith, and the kid from Penns Valley (or Penns Manor) who's name is expecting me. Lots of different styles and body types, but all tough kids. Close competition. I like having an underdog or two in the lineup.

149: Gardner, Verk, Pipher, the Utah kid. Same. But better than 125 from a ranking perspective.
Skunk

Debated not sending the article. Painting with a broad brush can be unfair.
It's definitely worthy of discussion and broader awareness.

My thoughts on this are multi-fold:
  • We're never going to have 10 Taylor/Ruth/Retherford/Nolf/Nickal types on the roster at the same time. We absolutely should be counting our blessings that we've had 5 of them in one decade, while not necessarily expecting all contributors on the team to fit that mold.
  • At the same time, those guys have created a great many new fans who are only fans because of the lofty heights. Some of them have absolutely no specific allegiance to Dear Old State. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this describes our pal @LemonPie These folks are not as likely to enjoy the "role players" on the team the same way an alumni/parent/local might. Many new fans may not even know much about wrestling, its traditional culture, or the etiquette of being a fan. It's still mostly a good thing.
  • Digger is right--wrestling is a bit unique as a broader community. But only a bit--human nature is still human nature. After all, exhibit A over on that other rivals board . . .
  • I think it's fair for fans to want more out of a student athlete if it seems like they haven't given their best effort. That said, it's fair (i.e. imperative) for that athlete to pay absolutely no attention to what fans think. And it's fair for fans to recognize that sometimes a matchup leads to a different style of match (which is what I think I saw w/ Teske yesterday--he seemed very frustrated by the holds the Navy kid was using, and unsure how to set up his attacks).

“Will Penn State’s fan base conduct itself appropriately? Or will Rec Hall’s legions descend into a boorish bunch of condemners and complainers?”

John Wooden said something like: “I wish all my friends win one national championship, and I wish all my enemies win two.”
Great articles

Reactions: Dogwelder

I thought the author's suggestions made for some good takeaways. Quoted directly from article:
  • Respect everyone who competes in this very demanding sport. Have you ever met a lazy college wrestler? Of course you haven’t; they don’t exist. And that’s why I appreciate the approach taken by Jeff Byers, announcer for the Penn State wrestling network. Byers roots unashamedly for the home team, but he bends over backwards to commend good work by the “enemy.” To respect the sport of wrestling we must respect both wrestlers.

• Resist putting our own demands upon Nittany Lion wrestlers. Although it’s natural to expect our heroes to win their matches, we can’t know everything that’s going on in their lives. One “off” match could be the result of a flu bug or an academic worry; an off season could result from a nagging injury or a domestic problem.

• Practice the key value that has helped Penn State wrestlers achieve their success. “Gratitude” is the hallmark of the Nittany Lions under Sanderson’s leadership. Our wrestlers talk constantly about their gratitude to parents, coaches, teammates and God — everyone who has made it possible for them to compete and succeed. So if they’re grateful for their experience, then we can be grateful for our chance to enjoy the greatest era in the history of Penn State wrestling. One of these years, the Lions will finish second — or even third — at NCAA nationals. Should we not still be grateful for their effort and the excitement they provide?

If Teske wasn't a four time champ from *Iowa*, people might not be as hard on him. In Sunday's match, Teske was really shut down, which isn't what I saw of him in HS - where he really let it fly, sometimes to his detriment. I'm hoping it was just a case of nerves and not a confidence issue.

Reactions: nitlion6
If Teske wasn't a four time champ from *Iowa*, people might not be as hard on him. In Sunday's match, Teske was really shut down, which isn't what I saw of him in HS - where he really let it fly, sometimes to his detriment. I'm hoping it was just a case of nerves and not a confidence issue.
Gulibon was a 4x champ from PA and was the team punching bag.

Just go over to the football boards and read the comments after the team's record plummeted to 8-1. It can get ugly pretty quickly.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Excellent article -- thanks for posting. I think the author misses one point though... There are all always a few bad apples in the barrel. I haven't been to as many events as other (NoVa the older, Roar, etc.) but I've met quite a few Iowa fans over the years. For the most part they were wrestling fans, first and foremost. They had a lot of respect for Cael and PSU. I think there are just a small percentage of people -- from everywhere -- who want to complain about <something>. And, thanks to the Internet, they get a platform to expose their views. I think these are a significant minority. But I think it's healthy to remind people that it's better to be humble -- as the tables will likely turn, eventually. Enjoy the ride. :)

All the little wrinkles in the season are what makes it more exciting. Watching our guys learn after not performing how they wanted is one of the big draws for our team.

Last edited:
I'll add to the counterpoint that nerfstate started. I think way too often people have their own very narrow way of thinking/doing things and far too often they expect that everyone else should follow their exact set of 'rules' that they follow. Its important to remember not everyone thinks the same. I may be a bit more liberal in my way of "being a fan" but I think there are far less "bad apples" and that this forum is extremely polite. I think while some have been turned off by the perceived negativity about certain wrestlers I would say most of those comments arent coming from a negative perspective, they are coming from a desire for dominance, and there is a difference. We have all been spoiled with what has happened the last 8 out of 9 years. I am one of those that am not an alumni, parent, local. Im in ID and my only connection is having gotten my butt kicked by Cael in highschool. And instead of hating someone who beat me he was so impressive that I became a fan. And he continues to impress to this day. I fell away from wrestling other than watching an occasional ncaa championship. And over the years with what they have built at Penn St I became more and more of a fan to the point where I now have a flo membership, am more excited and watch wrestling than football, and am on a wrestling forum for crap sake because I cant get enough! I can appreciate what Schnupp has done and that Teske won, and also see that 125 so far still appears to be the biggest hole towards having a AA. It is fun, and impressive, and amazing to see them dominate and I am addicted to it, and that is why I desire for all of them to be dominate. Not because I have anything against them, but because I want PSU to dominate and this year I want them to dominate Iowa so much that they make Brands cry just like Mike Carr made Murin cry last year!!! (If you didnt see that it was great) go Penn St!

Murin is a great example of how the season can unfold. As it has been pointed out, he lost to Carr in a dual, pounded the mat and shed a few tears. Carr mocked him.

Many blasted Max for that but to me it just showed he cared and he knew he didn't leave it all out there. If he is an outwardly emotional young guy then he should be who he is. It was authentic. He knew he had the upset and he let Carr steal it.

So, keep crying or learn from it? Max went on to beat Carr at Bigs and Nationals if I recall. When he won at Bigs a couple of the kids with me said he should mock Carr back in the same fashion. I told them that is one way to handle it OR you could just shake hands and expect that you have found your new norm and you plan on winning that match moving forward.

Neither way is really wrong. Either way could be a genuine response. One comes from emotion and the other has some thought and maturity behind it. Both would speak volumes about you as an individual.

Obviously I am an Iowa fan. On a PSU site reading a thread about a kid from Iowa; defending (a bit) a kid wrestling for Iowa who is from Pennsylvania.

Here is hoping Max has grown some more in the off season, can finish a few more shots clean and quick, and represents the state of Pennsylvania
proudly by helping the Hawkeyes to top PSU for the team title.

What a great sport!

Carr went down hill not long after that and I know that Murin got him in the big 10s. I'm sure that felt good! I cant believe Carr didnt get docked a point when he did that. From an outsider's perspective it was funny to me. But I agree big on Murin to grow and get revenge on it.

Reactions: danoftw
Joe used to say: I need your dollars but not your 2 cents.
Joe was right, our football boards prove the lunacy of fans. This board will not go crazy. This individual post isn't bad whatsoever. It's a simple chat on Teske, that's it. No one is ripping him at all, nor is that tolerated. We poke fun here, we don't even rip on opposing wrestlers usually, except in jest. I don't see anyone here wanting guys faces bashed in and bloodied like other places.

Regarding the article, it's a bit early I believe. I will say this to those that might show up if the winning isn't the same and they start whining. Go away, we don't need you. I've seen enough cockroaches crawl out after the first football loss and it's pathetic to say the least. We're damn lucky to have Cael and we're especially lucky to have Franklin. Either one leaves and we'll find out pretty damn quickly how lucky we were.

Just want to say that fan entitlement is not monopolized by dynasty programs. Plenty of loser programs with loser fans like me. Welcome to sports, softies.

Here's the thing with Teske. I probably shouldn't trash the kid, he appears to be a good dude, but I guess my comments are a my passive-aggressive poke at PSU homers who think guys like Manville and Teske can just flip a switch because, you know, PSU ROOM!

Ok, and maybe some part of it is ego in wanting to boast - again - in my impeccable talent evaluation.

Anyway, Hudkins, Chalifoux, and Hildebrandt should be in Teske's bracket on Sunday. Not a bad test of talent. Will be rooting for him.

Just want to say that fan entitlement is not monopolized by dynasty programs. Plenty of loser programs with loser fans like me. Welcome to sports, softies.

Here's the thing with Teske. I probably shouldn't trash the kid, he appears to be a good dude, but I guess my comments are a my passive-aggressive poke at PSU homers who think guys like Manville and Teske can just flip a switch because, you know, PSU ROOM!

Ok, and maybe some part of it is ego in wanting to boast - again - in my impeccable talent evaluation.

Anyway, Hudkins, Chalifoux, and Hildebrandt should be in Teske's bracket on Sunday. Not a bad test of talent. Will be rooting for him.
Admit it. You just suck. Lol I didn't think your post was that bad. A bit harsh, but not that bad.

You want bad, go look at the Kerk post on you know where. Lunch dates, PED's, slush funds, and facilities. Yeah, brand new facilities that were built with monies given to Cael. Where pray tell are these new facilities Cael had built. They act like that insider is a God, lmao. Jesus, they really have become our little brother in wrestling like Pitt is in football. 10 years and it's still everything from Long to slush fund. I remember a few years back when a mod actually called them out and basically told them to shut up and do something about it. Wonder what happened to him. Lol

Guessing at least as many fans look at HS success and project similar success in college, without taking the time to carefully analyze each guy's matches.

Reactions: diggerpup
You want bad, go look at the Kerk post on you know where. Lunch dates, PED's, slush funds, and facilities. Yeah, brand new facilities that were built with monies given to Cael. Where pray tell are these new facilities Cael had built. They act like that insider is a God, lmao. Jesus, they really have become our little brother in wrestling like Pitt is in football. 10 years and it's still everything from Long to slush fund. I remember a few years back when a mod actually called them out and basically told them to shut up and do something about it. Wonder what happened to him. Lol

If THEY dont win this or next year.....they wont win in the next cycle either.

So at that point they become lil brother status in my fuzzy dark mind

You have a one track mind. Think outside of the box!

And I get wanting to have a more reasonable take. For example, Diceman had a great post in this thread. For most, it takes a few years of grinding it out with mixed results before something clicks.

But at elite programs, how often do we see a near blue-chipper come out a little slow and then he becomes a perennial 15-20 guy? Honestly, it's like wrestlers in those situations never gain the confidence they would at a smaller program, year-to-year.

Can somebody give me examples? Okie St, Iowa, PSU, tOSU?

Derek White? Even that took a change of scenery.

The part of the article that really stood out for me was the part about Cortez shopping for a recliner to sleep in.

As the person quoted in that story, here’s a bit more background.

Here’s a kid who had sacrificed a year’s eligibility to come to Penn State. Then when he can wrestle, he suffers a serious injury-one that requires season ending surgery. My wife and I run into him the day after the surgery at a local furniture store. His arm is immobilized in a sling type device and he’s buying a recliner because he can’t sleep in his bed. On top of that, he’s 600 miles from home with no immediate family to support him after probably the most traumatic event in his career; and he’s on the phone with his Mom trying to arrange payment for the new recliner. It was clearly a tough period in his life which highlighted to us, the human side of these young wrestler’s lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT