ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering

This board seems awfully quick to forgive Mineo based on 1 story, forgetting the other times he's been wrong or posted things he shouldn't have, such as pre-empting Bartlett's commitment or claiming Teske was arrested while at PSU.

For the record, I think he's definitely right more often than he's wrong, but he's basically the TMZ of wrestling, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But IMO this board looks bad by liking him now and not liking him other times. HR at least has pretty much always hated him (and I am a fan of neither team).
Liking him now? That’s your assessment? Not this poster.

You’re not wrong. But there are only a handful of people that cover wrestling and none of them can afford to cut off the hands that feed them. So the story will likely never actually be known.

This is where we appreciate PM because he doesn’t care if he can’t get a scoop from a coach in the future. He’s free to put anything out there. But it’s also why there will always be those that question the validity of the report. It’s not like they have a tough time citing stuff he’s put out that turned out to be incorrect.

So what’s my point? I’m trying to decide how much I care about it. (If it’s something that will likely never be proven, maybe I spend less time engaged on it.)
Maybe ESPN can do a special segment with Jeremy Schapp as lead. He doesn't seem to worry too much about ticking people off. And ESPN is always looking for content. Could help build a story line for next year's championship.

Reactions: gptakba and mcpat
This board seems awfully quick to forgive Mineo based on 1 story, forgetting the other times he's been wrong or posted things he shouldn't have, such as pre-empting Bartlett's commitment or claiming Teske was arrested while at PSU.

For the record, I think he's definitely right more often than he's wrong, but he's basically the TMZ of wrestling, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But IMO this board looks bad by liking him now and not liking him other times. HR at least has pretty much always hated him (and I am a fan of neither team).
Ok.

For clarity, I apologized, asking his forgiveness for originally asking "Is Mineo latin for small penis?" while engaging the cesspool in cesspool-like behavior. And I offered to make restitution.

"Please forgives us our trespasses, as we forgiven those who trespass against us."

Perhaps a "Lighten up Francis" is in order.

Got it. He can't improve and his past transgressions should be held against him forever.

Also, if you "think he's definitely right more often than he's wrong," then others are "awfully quick to forgive him based on 1 story"? Inconsistent.

Last edited:
We support when he reports appropriate material. In this case, he released what the actors at the schools that were wronged wanted released. Remember, if there were 2 innocent phone calls between old friends, why did those 2 separate conversations end up being relayed to PM? There is zero chance those were two innocent phone conversations between friends. Zero chance. Pat simply did what was asked of him. And he clearly wasn't the only one that knew since Willie reported pretty much the same story without the details.

I'm waiting for Schon to show up at Rutger.

We support when he reports appropriate material. In this case, he released what the actors at the schools that were wronged wanted released. Remember, if there were 2 innocent phone calls between old friends, why did those 2 separate conversations end up being relayed to PM? There is zero chance those were two innocent phone conversations between friends. Zero chance. Pat simply did what was asked of him. And he clearly wasn't the only one that knew since Willie reported pretty much the same story without the details.
Appropriate material at the appropriate, not pulling the rug out from under a recruit about to make his commitment announcement.

At least in business there is “some” disincentive to back room deals. My uncle put up a few years at Allenwood for price fixing in the mining business. Alas, after being banned from mining he found his way into the investment world where back room deals are even more lucrative. Anyway, . . . It’s unlikely the newly neutered NCAA will engage in any meaningful enforcement action. Just like Wall Street, . . . sports now reside in the Wild West where “right” and “wrong are poorly defined.
So CFTC was his old job?

I appreciate the response but is the NCAA a government entity or agency? I don’t think it is; if it is not, then FOI doesn’t apply.

To your first point, even if it did result in sanctions, I wonder if the actors and actions involved would be made public. I am curious if anyone knows.
NCAA records may be subject to one of the State's Freedom of Information Acts because many of its members are state universities. I ran across a case that the NCAA lost involving Florida State violations and they had to produce records to the press. Court holding probably only applies to actions against state schools though, so maybe Iowa is safe for now, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
Got it. He can't improve and his past transgressions should be held against him forever.

Also, if you "think he's definitely right more often than he's wrong," then others are "awfully quick to forgive him based on 1 story"? Inconsistent.

I’m being consistent…I’ve never thought he was that bad. It’s this board that’s being inconsistent for apparently liking him now after mostly calling him trash, etc in the past.

The main thing I wish he’d do more is own it when he’s wrong. Instead he often deletes it and pretends he never said it. Which he actually did here (so hasn’t necessarily “improved”), he originally said Mr Lee called the wrestlers when it was actually the parents (screenshot posted on HR) but then edited his post - still a story but big difference, and I think that was why Mr Lee was so fired up.

I’m being consistent…I’ve never thought he was that bad. It’s this board that’s being inconsistent for apparently liking him now after mostly calling him trash, etc in the past.

The main thing I wish he’d do more is own it when he’s wrong. Instead he often deletes it and pretends he never said it. Which he actually did here (so hasn’t necessarily “improved”, he originally said Mr Lee called the wrestlers when it was actually the parents (screenshot posted on HR) but then edited his post - still a story but big difference, and I think that was why Mr Lee was so fired up.
Ockham’s razor would tell you that Mr. Lee was so fired up because he did something he knows was wrong and got caught doing it.

Last edited:
Okham’s razor would tell you that Mr. Lee was so fired up because he did something he knows was wrong and got caught doing it.
Help me out here… what is okham’s razor. (I apologize for being dumb.)

What is an example of Occam's razor?

Examples of Occam's razor

“You have a headache?”, “Oh no… you might have the Black Death!” Sure, it's true that one of the symptoms of the Black Death is a headache but, using Occam's razor, it's obviously much more likely that you're dehydrated or suffering from a common cold.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat

Ockham's [or Occam's] Razor is a proposed rule of logic that stipulates the simplest (or least complex) explanation, from competing explanations that explain the situation, is typically the correct one.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat

The main thing I wish he’d do more is own it when he’s wrong. Instead he often deletes it and pretends he never said it. Which he actually did here (so hasn’t necessarily “improved”), he originally said Mr Lee called the wrestlers when it was actually the parents (screenshot posted on HR) but then edited his post - still a story but big difference, and I think that was why Mr Lee was so fired up.
I never thought Pat was that bad either and I’m on record here saying so.

As for Lar, @SUPERTODD hits the nail on the head. Lar was trying to be a sneaky bagman and the targets - whether they be the wrestlers themselves or family - weren’t happy with his clumsy efforts.

“You have a headache?”, “Oh no… you might have the Black Death!” Sure, it's true that one of the symptoms of the Black Death is a headache but, using Occam's razor, it's obviously much more likely that you're dehydrated or suffering from a common cold.

It is sometimes called Occam's Razor, but "Ockham's" is more correct as it was penned by William of Ockham.

Reactions: mcpat
Okham’s razor would tell you that Mr. Lee was so fired up because he did something he knows was wrong and got caught doing it.

Eh, it’s just as simple of an explanation that he was mad that someone lied about him. Which Mineo did at least originally.

• Haha
Reactions: Shifty15

That’s funny. I didn’t google it because the typo made me think it was something with the Sooners.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
There are several examples. It shouldn’t have been said and the OP was called out for it already.
Perhaps I underestimated the support it takes for someone to pursue a degree while trying for an athletic championship at the D1 level. I do still think it is weird, but what do I know? I put myself on the other side of the planet from my family within a year of graduating high school.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
Perhaps I underestimated the support it takes for someone to pursue a degree while trying for an athletic championship at the D1 level. I do still think it is weird, but what do I know? I put myself on the other side of the planet from my family within a year of graduating high school.
All good. It was just that PSU has as many or more examples of it.

Countless professional athletes move their parents to be closer to them.

For example, Micah Parsons bought his mother a house in Dallas.

Granted her previous housing wasn't the same as Lee's -- but he didn't move her to Camp Hill or Hershey.

Believe the Larry Lee? Are you crazy? This guy sold out and moved to Iowa on his son’s back.... good for the Lee family. They’ve done well at the expense of a few ACL’s. Still don’t understand how a coach or university allows an athlete to participate with those kind of physical issues. I now know why Spencer was so angry after winning a year ago. No way Spencer survives the year. Somebody will clip him unless he competes in the absolute minimum number of matches.

Believe the Larry Lee? Are you crazy? This guy sold out and moved to Iowa on his son’s back.... good for the Lee family. They’ve done well at the expense of a few ACL’s. Still don’t understand how a coach or university allows an athlete to participate with those kind of physical issues. I now know why Spencer was so angry after winning a year ago. No way Spencer survives the year. Somebody will clip him unless he competes in the absolute minimum number of matches.
We have had our share of families move to the State College area to be near their kids, so I don't think that holds any water. And I'm sure Spencer was medically cleared and in favor of competing himself. That's not nearly all on the coaching staff. They are only a part of that decision.
And let's hope Spencer gets through the season 100% healthy.

Every person and coach I've spoken with in football are beside themselves. I don't know a single person that thought things would get so out of control so fast.
Come on man. They are lying. It made what the SEC was all about legal and out in the open. Kinda like legalizing pot. Everybody is going to play. But it will settle down in a year or two when these athletes fail to deliver like typical professional free agents. Then you’ll start hearing of kids on the heap who have been left behind. Everybody says it won’t happen to them. But it does to the vast majority. Broken promises, embezzlement, fraud, theft my, etc... we’ve been down this way before.

“Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan”

Reactions: NittanyChris
One thing for sure:

Larry Lee’s clumsy bagman efforts have entered BWI lore and shall be memed mercilessly henceforth. It’s in the pantheon with:

-Nico’s shitty practice room record
-The need - nay the absolute necessity - to have 8 (not 7 or 9 mind you) scoring wrestlers in order to win nationals
-why we might be a great team, but still strive to be a great program
-Bo’s Noodle Arms

Honest question which I have no idea the answer to: do you think the statement from the OP by Willie was referring to Mr. Lee?

Honest question which I have no idea the answer to: do you think the statement from the OP by Willie was referring to Mr. Lee?
Yes. Circumstantial alignment appears to exist.

Willie said Iowa was reported.

Austin O'Connor fits the National Championship and "How's your son's ACL rehab" characteristics while Ramos (UNC) coach has openly tweeted.

Willits fits AA and purported friend relationship characteristics while Pendleton will make an appearance on Flo.

Not much speculation or info on what surrounds the Michigan complaint.

Yes. Circumstantial alignment appears to exist.

Willie said Iowa was reported.

Austin O'Connor fits the National Championship and "How's your son's ACL rehab" characteristics while Ramos (UNC) coach has openly tweeted.

Willits fits AA and purported friend relationship characteristics while Pendleton will make an appearance on Flo.

Not much speculation or info on what surrounds the Michigan complaint.
I think the UM issue surrounds Buchanan of Wyoming

Come on man. They are lying. It made what the SEC was all about legal and out in the open. Kinda like legalizing pot. Everybody is going to play. But it will settle down in a year or two when these athletes fail to deliver like typical professional free agents. Then you’ll start hearing of kids on the heap who have been left behind. Everybody says it won’t happen to them. But it does to the vast majority. Broken promises, embezzlement, fraud, theft my, etc... we’ve been down this way before.

“Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan”
Anyone quoting Warren Zevon is all right in my book.

One thing for sure:

Larry Lee’s clumsy bagman efforts have entered BWI lore and shall be memed mercilessly henceforth. It’s in the pantheon with:

-The need - nay the absolute necessity - to have 8 (not 7 or 9 mind you) scoring wrestlers in order to win nationals
-Bo’s Noodle Arms
Don't forget
Deadlifting to get out from bottom.
Extra-long bus rides.
Vacationing in Aruba.
What mat a certain 141 LB match will be contested on.
Whether or not a certain mustachioed gentleman is impressed or not.
Stall-Mates, Mat Return Takedowns and dastardly illegal back fists.

We haven't even delved into Cruiseliners and Straight Razor Shaves...

One thing for sure:

-Bo’s Noodle Arms
Why would anyone put anything in a dilapidating 2600 year old building that has no roof? Makes no sense :)

Yes. At first I thought it had to do with Real Woods, but then Willie denied that it was. So I was perplexed, until the Willets and O'Connor news became public. Then the tumblers fell into place.

Yeah I could see that being the case.

Then I think the question becomes how did Mineo get the info. I would be more inclined to believe Willie fed it to him than he got it directly from wrestlers or staff from 2 different teams (I see you were already having a similar convo on HR with some of them theorizing that as well). Keep in mind I’m pretty sure Willie has been accused of giving info to Mineo that he didn’t want to put out himself in the past as well.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Yeah I could see that being the case.

Then I think the question becomes how did Mineo get the info. I would be more inclined to believe Willie fed it to him than he got it directly from wrestlers or staff from 2 different teams (I see you were already having a similar convo on HR with some of them theorizing that as well). Keep in mind I’m pretty sure Willie has been accused of giving info to Mineo that he didn’t want to put out himself in the past as well.
He has "been accused".

He has also accused others of putting info to mineo to get it out.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT