ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering

I did I short stretch at Allenwood after being arrested and prosecuted by the authorities over on HR. Pretty sure I met your uncle before they transferred me to the correctional facility in Cresson. If it's the same guy, he taught me how to make a shiv for protection.... lol
Good one! Didn’t know that HR was connected to the Country Club of prisons. With a nickname like Luci, my unk probably needed a shiv. Good to know that you are skilled in personal protective equipment.

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Good one! Didn’t know that HR was connected to the Country Club of prisons. With a nickname like Luci, my unk probably needed a shiv. Good to know that you are skilled in personal protective equipment.
Gotta be more specific than that about Allenwood -- 3 prisons there now, and pretty certain Dale Franquet didn't get attacked by a foreign terrorist at a low security jail.

You expend a lot of effort defending Iowa fans who likely are going to search for a reason to discredit it no matter what the source. And, yes, we'll have guys over here who employ the same type of rationalizations.

Any reasonable person who has a cursory knowledge of Mineo inows he is a "smoke" reporter. Other guys may wait for the confirmation of "fire" but Mineo is trying to get it out first and sometimes that's going to result in some inaccuracies because things change or some things got lost in translation.

You point out Kemerer, which is a great illustration of this. Its obvious he was hurt and was conflicted about his return in the first place - that has been reported by more than Mineo. It is also pretty easy to conclude that the rest and/or rehab did not go as well as hoped and at some point in the season that became pretty clear. That's a lot of smoke. And in the end not far off from the end result.

Lots here bring up Schon, but again there was likely a lot of smoke about RU bringing in a big guy, probably intermixed with smoke about Schon and voila!

I'm not defending this or saying the guy is always right but just putting it in context. When the guy puts something out there, it's not out if thin air, there's something there that's causing the smoke.

So put in context of this situation, I'd say there is something behind it. Then you look at Larry Lee's reaction to it and it seems as if something struck a nerve for sure. Reasonable people can have takes on this.
From my perspective, I like to think about issues from both sides instead of one. I achieve intellectual satisfaction by doing so. I simply don’t expect Iowa fans to believe him. That’s my point. If you want to call that me defending them, so be it.

From my perspective, I like to think about issues from both sides instead of one. I achieve intellectual satisfaction by doing so. I simply don’t expect Iowa fans to believe him. That’s my point. If you want to call that me defending them, so be it.
If you believe Larry Lee called the parents of wrestlers in weights of Iowa need to discuss the best lawn fertilizer, I’ve got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

If you believe Larry Lee called the parents of wrestlers in weights of Iowa need to discuss the best lawn fertilizer, I’ve got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
Where did I say I didn’t believe it? I said I don’t expect Iowa fans to.

If you read the totality of my posts on the matter, and understand what I meant by them, the themes are:

- innocent until proven guilty always
- how would mineo even know if there wasn’t something to it?
- what are the chances it’s ever going to get publicly confirmed?
- if it’s never going to be publicly confirmed, then I’m probably not going to spend much time on this (meaning arguing with Iowa fans, researching and discussing what is permissible and not, etc.)

You expend a lot of effort defending Iowa fans who likely are going to search for a reason to discredit it no matter what the source. And, yes, we'll have guys over here who employ the same type of rationalizations.

Any reasonable person who has a cursory knowledge of Mineo inows he is a "smoke" reporter. Other guys may wait for the confirmation of "fire" but Mineo is trying to get it out first and sometimes that's going to result in some inaccuracies because things change or some things got lost in translation.

You point out Kemerer, which is a great illustration of this. Its obvious he was hurt and was conflicted about his return in the first place - that has been reported by more than Mineo. It is also pretty easy to conclude that the rest and/or rehab did not go as well as hoped and at some point in the season that became pretty clear. That's a lot of smoke. And in the end not far off from the end result.

Lots here bring up Schon, but again there was likely a lot of smoke about RU bringing in a big guy, probably intermixed with smoke about Schon and voila!

I'm not defending this or saying the guy is always right but just putting it in context. When the guy puts something out there, it's not out if thin air, there's something there that's causing the smoke.

So put in context of this situation, I'd say there is something behind it. Then you look at Larry Lee's reaction to it and it seems as if something struck a nerve for sure. Reasonable people can have takes on this.
the story of Pat Mineo could be told by various anonymous accounts on here. Except people choose to be anonymous for the most part and havent created a social media enterprise from the intel we hear.

Im sure Dice, roar and several others could burn some bridges to become the next PM.

Back in the early days of this board I broke news, but I dont do it any more. My old contacts have moved on and the ones I have I would like to keep. I used to get DMs, texts and emails all kinds of "inside" info. Some I broke, others I didnt.

For instance.....I got a DM on here from a poster that wanted it told about Larry getting the job a Coe. This poster was in a HS wrestling board in the pittsburg area and news on the HS scene had leaked that Larry was going to Coe, so there was no chance SLee was going to PSU. This is was all before SLee did his Flo announcement. I didnt break it because the report of Larry to Coe seemed sleazy and whats the point of "breaking it". Wouldnt have mattered if true. If I had broken the news and it was wrong, I would have just been a better looking version of 247 Brandt. So I ate it, it came out and the rest is history.

Ive posted many times if you want to be an "insider" you only need to have time on your hands and know where to look. Scouring boards, knowing what smoke smells/looks like and then teasing the information in one place and then bringing it to another place for the credit. Twitter is full of these types of people and so are message boards, facebook groups, etc.

People want to be in the know. In Da club. It makes them feel valuable to the process of life.

So I agree with Dice big time.

I also say there is major smoke with this Larry and Pat drama. I dont think Pat is lying and I bet this isnt the first time Larry has had his hands in the cookie jar. Larry has been in the wrestling scene with his kid for 2 decades. When your a winner you meet a lot of people. His rolodex is a whos who im sure of that.

Parents do crazy things for the kids. Calling another kid about a transfer isnt particularly crazy but that doesnt mean its ok either.

I just wish you didn’t agree “big time” with the part that said I spend alot of time defending Iowa on this issue. :)

Part of my dance on this issue is that I’m not someone in the know and therefore don’t particularly want to call out a man I don’t know over it.

But when I was discussing it on this board with the prior HR moderator (I see NCHawk5 has volunteered for the job; lord help us AND them), note how I asked him about how would PM know if it was just two old buddies chatting. That’s a point I’ve made a few times.
To be honest I didn't realize he was replying to you. It was more his overall tone of the message.

It's something that has irked me a bit by Mike z just going all its Larry golly gee. Larry dunna know what's he doin.

I don't know pat from Adam but I understand the game he is a current participant in

To be honest I didn't realize he was replying to you. It was more his overall tone of the message.

It's something that has irked me a bit by Mike z just going all its Larry golly gee. Larry dunna know what's he doin.

I don't know pat from Adam but I understand the game he is a current participant in
Darn it! I had deleted that! Decided I had already publicly whined enough. :)

For what is worth, I follow your and enjoy your posts. I don't get overly worked up as some do if something isn't 100% I am amazing how much you do hear. I look at it as wrestling information, some satire, opinions and some rumors. Not much different than what gets posted on this board at times.
Thank you! I appreciate the honest take. Spot on,

Gosh, if I irked you……you need to maybe think about another hobby! 😉

look, I never said there wasn’t conversation. What I said was I’m siding with Larry. Again, as already pointed out, innocent until proven guilty!
Z

Gosh, if I irked you……you need to maybe think about another hobby! 😉

look, I never said there wasn’t conversation. What I said was I’m siding with Larry. Again, as already pointed out, innocent until proven guilty!
Z
This is a fair position for him to take @dunkej01 . We have a lot of similar situations here where we side with our guy. They say Cael brought in a problem just to win a championship. We say he honestly thought he could remove him from his environment and help turn his life around. In both cases we'll never know their true motivations because we weren't in their respective heads. So we choose to stand with our guys. He's not asking you to buy it. He buys it.

Reactions: dunkej01
Gotta be more specific than that about Allenwood -- 3 prisons there now, and pretty certain Dale Franquet didn't get attacked by a foreign terrorist at a low security jail.
Aw hell …. I’m talking way back to old Prison Camp that used to be a bit south of Williamsport. Tampering is hard to prove, but, they got Unk Luci on a wire tap in Montreal. Nobody is going to put that kind of effort into catching a booster poaching a wrestler. Until the coaches association saves itself, the mice shall play.

I caught TFW; I didn’t catch FRL. By the complete lack of any posts about it, I take it that no new information came out on FRL with Pendleton.

I caught TFW; I didn’t catch FRL. By the complete lack of any posts about it, I take it that no new information came out on FRL with Pendleton.
They danced around the subject. Pendleton said that tampering using NIL bags was definitely going on, but they never asked him if he had any instances where his wrestlers were approached. Hard hitting journalism. Maybe the wrestling world needs @PatMineo22 around.

They danced around the subject. Pendleton said that tampering using NIL bags was definitely going on, but they never asked him if he had any instances where his wrestlers were approached. Hard hitting journalism. Maybe the wrestling world needs @PatMineo22 around.

Not "his wrestlers," but he did say he's had recruits say "School X promised me this, what can you do?"

I always assume that kind of thing is discussed prior to the interview. If the coach wanted to be set up to talk about the tampering in detail, I'm sure FLO would happily oblige.

Aw hell …. I’m talking way back to old Prison Camp that used to be a bit south of Williamsport. Tampering is hard to prove, but, they got Unk Luci on a wire tap in Montreal. Nobody is going to put that kind of effort into catching a booster poaching a wrestler. Until the coaches association saves itself, the mice shall play.
We used to play that allenwood prison at softball. They had all home games of course. Club fed we called it. Those guys had life better than people on the outside. I remember their third basemen was a AAA braves prospect in for tax evasion. They went undefeated every year

I thought for sure I saw a Willie update today but it wasn't out there when I went to look a second time (on Rokfin). Assuming he took it down after posting.. but again I was quite busy this morning and could have looked at is incorrectly.

Wow guys I was away from Thurs to Sun and was way behind in this thread. It took me an hour yesterday and another 30 minutes today to go from page 3 to 16. I could have worn out my like finger as there were some great posts and unbelievable info.

This is what I learned.

1. Iowa always pointed the finger at us but they had 4 pointing back at them. Definitely some sleazy, backhanded stuff going on in regard to other team's wrestlers with tampering. NCAA probably won't do a thing but should.

2. Pat Mineo is not the guy I thought he was but our ally. He's getting close to Willie territory.

3. Next year at Nationals, Iowa should put all their cards on the table for the Nation to see. They could put up a recruiting/portal booth on the floor and have stacks of cash in plain sight. Larry can man the phones.

4. Where was Turk?

Wow guys I was away from Thurs to Sun and was way behind in this thread. It took me an hour yesterday and another 30 minutes today to go from page 3 to 16. I could have worn out my like finger as there were some great posts and unbelievable info.

This is what I learned.

1. Iowa always pointed the finger at us but they had 4 pointing back at them. Definitely some sleazy, backhanded stuff going on in regard to other team's wrestlers with tampering. NCAA probably won't do a thing but should.

2. Pat Mineo is not the guy I thought he was but our ally. He's getting close to Willie territory.

3. Next year at Nationals, Iowa should put all their cards on the table for the Nation to see. They could put up a recruiting/portal booth on the floor and have stacks of cash in plain sight. Larry can man the phones.

4. Where was Turk?
Really? He's always been a pretty open PSU fan. I'd describe his allegiances as NJ + PSU.

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I thought he was a Rutgers with huge respect to for Cael and his athletes. Admit I'm not active on Twitter tho...
Both, but definitely a psu fan. As much as anything, he's an iowa hater and psu is the iowa nemesis, so the whole "enemy of my enemy" thing. And i get the iowa hate. they were the evil empire when he grew up and still are for many people. you can see psu start to get that treatment as well and it will intensify as this run continues.

Both, but definitely a psu fan. As much as anything, he's an iowa hater and psu is the iowa nemesis, so the whole "enemy of my enemy" thing. And i get the iowa hate. they were the evil empire when he grew up and still are for many people. you can see psu start to get that treatment as well and it will intensify as this run continues.
As far as this run.....
giphy.gif

But you admit our run is a good thing? ;)
Actually brings up a topic of discussion that I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. Are sports dynasties good for anybody but the fan of the team that is doing well?

When Iowa wrestling was on its run, it was all sunshine and roses. Now you guys are on your run, and most of the wrestling world hates you.

Look at college football. Is Alabama the most hated team? Did it used to be Notre Dame, Florida, USC, Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma? Yeah, I think there is something that comes along with winning that fan bases aren’t prepared for, and that’s losing. After being on top of the world, many aren’t able to handle the other end of the spectrum. The kind of ironic thing about it is that most teams that were dynasties, are still very good. They just start winning national championships. And that’s the part people can’t handle. They have experienced the highest level of success, now they just expect it.

and I think that’s a pretty accurate description of both of our Fanbase is right now. 2020 you weren’t happy. And prior to 2010 I don’t think you were very happy either. Is it human nature? Idk. I know many Iowa fans haven’t been particularly happy about your run. Just like Oklahoma State fans were not happy about Iowa’s run of success.

Does it always end with some type of coaching change?

Mike

Actually brings up a topic of discussion that I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. Are sports dynasties good for anybody but the fan of the team that is doing well?

When Iowa wrestling was on its run, it was all sunshine and roses. Now you guys are on your run, and most of the wrestling world hates you.

Look at college football. Is Alabama the most hated team? Did it used to be Notre Dame, Florida, USC, Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma? Yeah, I think there is something that comes along with winning that fan bases aren’t prepared for, and that’s losing. After being on top of the world, many aren’t able to handle the other end of the spectrum. The kind of ironic thing about it is that most teams that were dynasties, are still very good. They just start winning national championships. And that’s the part people can’t handle. They have experienced the highest level of success, now they just expect it.

and I think that’s a pretty accurate description of both of our Fanbase is right now. 2020 you weren’t happy. And prior to 2010 I don’t think you were very happy either. Is it human nature? Idk. I know many Iowa fans haven’t been particularly happy about your run. Just like Oklahoma State fans were not happy about Iowa’s run of success.

Mike
giphy.gif

Mike
giphy.gif

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I didn’t say I hated you. I don’t like you. OK, I don’t like the fact that you guys are winning national championships on a regular basis, but, I don’t really hate anything.

Except brussels sprouts. Those things suck!

Z
We'll just have to keep winning until HR posters feel like the brussel sprouts of wrestling fandom. Or are they already there?

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux

Mike
Just my humble opinion but the run under Cael will continue until he retires. What will keep the run going is if they replace Cael with DT. I truly believe there will be no fall off if Taylor takes over in thirty years so technically Iowa might have a shot by 2060. I kid I kid. Ok I'll stop drinking the juice now

ADVERTISEMENT