ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl Ratings, worst in ten years

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low In Historic NFL Game & Patriots’ Win

Shown on CBS for the first time since 2016 and with ad spots going for around $5 million each, the Rams’ loss scored a 44.9 in metered market results.

To put that in the starkest light of day, that’s a dip of just over 5.2% from the big NFL battle of February 4, 2018 on NBC. On a larger playing field, that metered market result for yesterday’s game is the worst the Super Bowl has done in the early numbers since the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals on February 1, 2009.

Yesterday’s Super Bowl is also down a bit over 8% from the metered markets of the last time CBS had the game three years ago.

Super Bowl 50 saw the Denver Broncos top the Carolina Panthers 24-10 on February 7, 2016 in a gridiron clash that eventually resulted in 111.9 million viewers and the honor at the time of being the third most watched show in U.S. TV history.

The lowest rated Super Bowl in eight years in the early metrics, last year’s Philadelphia Eagles’ victory 41-33 over the Patriots ended up with 103.4 million viewers, a nine-year low – so far.​

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Shown on CBS for the first time since 2016 and with ad spots going for around $5 million each, the Rams’ loss scored a 44.9 in metered market results.

To put that in the starkest light of day, that’s a dip of just over 5.2% from the big NFL battle of February 4, 2018 on NBC. On a larger playing field, that metered market result for yesterday’s game is the worst the Super Bowl has done in the early numbers since the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals on February 1, 2009.

Yesterday’s Super Bowl is also down a bit over 8% from the metered markets of the last time CBS had the game three years ago.

Super Bowl 50 saw the Denver Broncos top the Carolina Panthers 24-10 on February 7, 2016 in a gridiron clash that eventually resulted in 111.9 million viewers and the honor at the time of being the third most watched show in U.S. TV history.

The lowest rated Super Bowl in eight years in the early metrics, last year’s Philadelphia Eagles’ victory 41-33 over the Patriots ended up with 103.4 million viewers, a nine-year low – so far.​

Everyone watching the Dr. Pimple Popper special I guess...

I tuned out after the halftime show.

It was a pretty boring game. Tough for the Rams O when the Pats know their plays when they are called. Tough for the Pats O because they just aren't that good.

Brady has become somewhat robotic in personality... so the big moment he got to speak with the trophy was even quite bad.

I watched some of the first half. Then the final 5 minutes. Maybe I missed some excitement.

LdN

I will take a stab at the Factors of why:

Rams do not have a strong fan base and alot of people do not think they belong there (Saints fans probably did not watch)

I think america is exhausted by the Patriots as they have become a team that was great story in there first couple SB to now being the hated aka the Yankees effect either you love them or you hate them.

Most people probably thought the Pats were going to win anyways, so people tuned out.

NFL is hard to watch anymore because you need the rule book in front of you to know what they are calling and looking at.

Rams do not have a strong fan base and alot of people do not think they belong there (Saints fans probably did not watch)

I think america is exhausted by the Patriots as they have become a team that was great story in there first couple SB to now being the hated aka the Yankees effect either you love them or you hate them.

Most people probably thought the Pats were going to win anyways, so people tuned out.

NFL is hard to watch anymore because you need the rule book in front of you to know what they are calling and looking at.
Saints had a boycott of the game. I'd have poo-pooed that but their Bourbon Street bars organized a lot of events and the streets were simply packed during the game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

While it was already discussed, not sure exactly how to tackle anymore when you get a personal foul for wrapping up a receiver behind the LOS.

Maybe would be tacklers should have no heads?

LdN

While it was already discussed, not sure exactly how to tackle anymore when you get a personal foul for wrapping up a receiver behind the LOS.

LdN

Exactly I have no idea how that is a penalty or what the heck they were looking at there. Like the game is not swung enough to offenses advantage.

LdN
just an awful call. I was disappointed that their in-house ref and announcers didn't call it what it was. By their explanation, you are now supposed to let a receiver run right by you if he is not prepared to take a hit. It appears, to me, that the NFL gave instructions to NOT criticize the refs after the previous game(s) debacle(s).

A number of reasons for that, but Patriots fatigue must be one of them.

FWIW, it still kills everything else. The NC game got a 13.8 (25.28mm viewers). Also worth mentioning PSU vs. UK got a 4.4 (7.7mm viewers) and was the eighth most watched of all bowl games. Consider it aired at the same time as the Fiesta and Outback Bowls and that's not too bad (noting the Fiesta posted slightly better ratings). For some perspective, UF-Michigan had slightly better ratings than PSU/UK, but didn't have any other college football games airing at the same time.

Here are the top ten:

RTG VWRS
(+ STREAM) GAME BOWL DATE/TIME NET
13.8 (25.280M) CLEM-ALA CFPNC 1/7, 8:00p ESPN Megacast
9.9 (19.069M) ALA-OKLA Orange 12/29, 8:00p ESPN/ESPN2
9.4 (16.809M) CLEM-ND Cotton 12/29, 4:00p ESPN/ESPN2
8.9 (16.781M) OSU-WASH Rose 1/1, 5:00p ESPN/ESPN2
7.3 (13.298M) TEX-UGA Sugar 1/1, 8:30p ESPN/ESPN2
4.7 (8.471M) LSU-UCF Fiesta 1/1, 1:00p ESPN
5.0 (8.366M) UF-MICH Peach 12/29, Noon ESPN
4.4 (7.709M) UK-PSU Citrus 1/1, 1:00p ABC
3.2 (5.547M) WASH ST-IA ST Alamo 12/28, 9:00p ESPN
2.7 (5.142M) T A&M-NC ST Gator 12/31, 8:00p ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cosmos
A number of reasons for that, but Patriots fatigue must be one of them.

Fatigue I believe is the number 1 factor in this 3 straight super bowl appearances in the so called salary cap era where should be hard to have dynasty

Fatigue I believe is the number 1 factor in this 3 straight super bowl appearances in the so called salary cap era where should be hard to have dynasty
Well, neither team should have been there. The Saints won their game, period. The Pats were as lucky as any team I've ever seen (punt muff overturned, offsides on INT, several replays went their way). Plus, as was mentioned, nobody in LA really gives a crap and fans in New Orleans and St. Louis were put off. These things add up.

Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low In Historic NFL Game & Patriots’
Maybe one more reason why it was so boring for non-Pats fans----
McVay keeps his play sheet static, The Rams don't use many personnel groupings, under 3 per game on average, according to NFL Next Gen statistics. By comparison the Saints use 12. Additionally almost every play McVay runs out of the same "11 personnel" set- one RB, one TE, and 3 WRs. Rams just played checkers to Belichick's chess.

Everyone watching the Dr. Pimple Popper special I guess...

I tuned out after the halftime show.
First half, I brushed and played with my dog, then left to pay the neighbor for Saturday night babysitting, catching maybe 5 minutes of the game. Then it was the kids’ bedtime. A few mins into the second half, the wife and I turned on an episode of the looming tower. Then we burned through the second half on dvr in about 20 mins. All in all, was a much better use of time.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Why is the viewing numbers so important to some people? What does knowing this do for you?

If you like the teams - watch. If you like the event - watch. If you don't - then don't watch.

What's the big deal? Or more importantly, what is your ultimate motive in addressing these numbers?

Reactions: PSU Mike
Why is the viewing numbers so important to some people? What does knowing this do for you?

If you like the teams - watch. If you like the event - watch. If you don't - then don't watch.

What's the big deal? Or more importantly, what is your ultimate motive in addressing these numbers?
I'm not so sure that I consider it "important" to me; more like interesting. It helps me to better know what the majority people like or do. I don't think that it influences what I do. Similarly, some people like certain movies or TV shows that I don't. I think it is interesting to know what those things are but it doesn't make me want to watch them. For example, movies based on comic books (or graphic novels or whatever you kids call them these days) are tremendously popular but I just can't get into them and just don't watch them (in general, but I watched and enjoyed Deadpool so I'm not totally against them). But I don't begrudge people enjoying them and I'm not "against" there being hundreds of more made, they are just not my cup of tea. But I am aware of their popularity because I see the box office numbers. As for the Super Bowl, I watched and wondered whether others did as well. But their doing so did not influence whether I watched, especially since the numbers don't come out after the fact. As I mentioned in the NOLA thread, I wondered if the numbers backed up the what was observed on the streets. I'm still interested but I don't think it will influence me in any way. But if I don't see those numbers, I won't worry about them because I don't think they are "important".

Apparently enough that you took the time to comment on them discussing it. If it didn't matter you could have chosen to ignore the thread.

I would have watched at least part of it if it had been Saints/Chiefs

I can see your point where some people tuned out because the Patriots were there again. The way to stop that is for someone to step up & beat them to keep them out of the playoffs/ Super Bowl. This may rub some people the wrong way, but since 2002, the AFC road to the Super Bowl goes through New England and until the beast grows old and goes away or some team steps up to them coaching and personnel wise, the song ain't gonna change.

giphy.gif

Interest in the NFL is declining. Still very popular but it peaked sometime in the 1990s or 2000s

1. Everyone is sick of the Pats (who, let's face it, are convicted cheaters) and this hackneyed story line of "who is the greatest ever: Tom Brady, LeBron James, Abraham Lincoln, or Winston Churchill... tune in to Sportscenter at 11:00 p.m. to find out!!!"

2. Someone already said it on here, in a time when teams are supposed to be on equal playing ground, we have more dynasties than ever before (Golden State, Bama, Pats) and that will eventually turn most casual and even die-hard fans indifferent. Most people who watch the full season of any sporting event want to at least have a realistic belief that this might be their teams year. Since 2000, the AFC winners are:
New England: 9
Pittsburgh: 3
Indianapolis: 2
Baltimore: 2
Denver: 2
Oakland: 1
For almost 20 years 10 out of 16 teams in the AFC have never gone to the super bowl.

3. The formula is getting old: over the top patriotism with the national anthem and war planes flying around, commercials that try too hard to outdo each other, a halftime mashup of songs from some musician who appeals to some specific demographic (which usually isn't you), and a football game where the result really comes down to who managed to stay the healthiest since the start of the year, whose QB managed to get his head taken-off the least by the opposing defense, and who gets the more favorable calls from the refs.

1) People are tired of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl
2) It was a boring game. You lose the casual viewer really fast that way.

This was the first year. I elected to watch zero minutes of the super bowl. It’s been years in the making for me. I have taken small steps year after year. I don’t need to go to a few live games every year check. I don’t need to watch nfl on Sundays check. I don’t need to watch Monday night games check. I don’t need to watch Thursday night games check. And now I’m onto the super bowl check. I have simply lost the passion to sit through most nfl games anymore. And don’t really miss much about it. I will still watch a small fraction of it. The product as a whole just doesn’t excite me anymore. To many variables for me to name them all. And now my son will grow up without all this nfl attention from me.

Reactions: odshowtime
it reminds me of the end of the Chicago Bulls’ run. It was not interesting anymore after the 3rd or 4th title

Similarly it was boring when the 49ers kept winning it over and over in the late 80s/90s. To a lesser extent, when the NFC always beat the AFC

It is just human nature to lose interest in watching the same thing happen over and over again

This was the first year. I elected to watch zero minutes of the super bowl. It’s been years in the making for me. I have taken small steps year after year. I don’t need to go to a few live games every year check. I don’t need to watch nfl on Sundays check. I don’t need to watch Monday night games check. I don’t need to watch Thursday night games check. And now I’m onto the super bowl check. I have simply lost the passion to sit through most nfl games anymore. And don’t really miss much about it. I will still watch a small fraction of it. The product as a whole just doesn’t excite me anymore. To many variables for me to name them all. And now my son will grow up without all this nfl attention from me.
I gave up the NFL last year but went back this year as the Browns were such an intriguing story to me. The Super Bowl is also interesting beyond football. I posted about the politics and race. A friend I watched it with, who is in commercial real estate and has ties to the NFL, was telling me about the payoffs going on and the controversies around the stadium and the city of Atlanta. With the racial tensions, Colin K, kneeling, hip hop ATL, black lives matter and the city's problems with moving people out to build the stadium, the NFL chose to have this in the ATL at the wrong time. This game was very racially charged and the NFL spent tens of millions to have a nice day. So, the SB is so much more than the game (not to mention how advertisers try to use the game to create and alter brands). I'll watch even when I don't know who is playing

One call that gave me pause was a penalty where the receiver catches the ball and was hit a split second later and tackled for loss. Penalty - 15 yards, hitting a defenseless player. That didn't make any sense, is the defender suppose to slow down, stop, and let the receiver first make a move on him?

One call that gave me pause was a penalty where the receiver catches the ball and was hit a split second later and tackled for loss. Penalty - 15 yards, hitting a defenseless player. That didn't make any sense, is the defender suppose to slow down, stop, and let the receiver first make a move on him?
No, he’s supposed to hit him below the neck/head. It’s not simply hitting him that’s a penalty, it’s hitting him in the head.

Right? I don't know how the rule reads, but plays like this should be allowed. I saw nothing dirty in the play and I didn't feel sorry for the receiver. You know who put the receiver in that position? Tom Brady, his QB.

I gave up the NFL last year but went back this year as the Browns were such an intriguing story to me. The Super Bowl is also interesting beyond football. I posted about the politics and race. A friend I watched it with, who is in commercial real estate and has ties to the NFL, was telling me about the payoffs going on and the controversies around the stadium and the city of Atlanta. With the racial tensions, Colin K, kneeling, hip hop ATL, black lives matter and the city's problems with moving people out to build the stadium, the NFL chose to have this in the ATL at the wrong time. This game was very racially charged and the NFL spent tens of millions to have a nice day. So, the SB is so much more than the game (not to mention how advertisers try to use the game to create and alter brands). I'll watch even when I don't know who is playing

Didn't that also happen when the Olympics was there and Olypmic Park was built?
ATL should have a pretty good blueprint for it by now.:)

Reactions: Obliviax
Sometimes that can't be avoided on a bang bang play like that.
yeah...and the defender has to keep his head up in case the player missed the ball or deflects it. The defender didn't hit him with the crown, but his face mask. Crazy penalty.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT