ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers "off sides" on Field Goal call

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
IIRC, steelers kick a FG and it's good. Go to a commercial, come back and say Steelers lined up offsides but they don't show a replay. I figured something was fishy when they didn't show the replay. They always have a camera down the LOS.

From my understanding, it's not the front tip of the ball that is the neutral zone, but the entire width of the ball.... hence it being called the neutral ZONE and not neutral line. Also from my understanding, the center is exempt from this rule.

The reason they didn't show replays or talk too much about it is the truly stinky part about it. It was a female ref that made the call they has practically never been called in the history of the game on a FG attempt.

From my understanding, it's not the front tip of the ball that is the neutral zone, but the entire width of the ball.... hence it being called the neutral ZONE and not neutral line. Also from my understanding, the center is exempt from this rule.

The reason they didn't show replays or talk too much about it is the truly stinky part about it. It was a female ref that made the call they has practically never been called in the history of the game on a FG attempt.
Yes, and the call is encroachment or lining up in the neutral zone. Not off sides.

And since the other team was certainly off side it should have been offsetting penalties with no yardage penalty. Critical since the field goal went from a 55 yarder to a 60 yard attempt.

Not sure it would have mattered in the end but this is certainly the poster child for incompetent and unethical NFL officiating. Fine her, suspend her or just can her.

Yes, and the call is encroachment or lining up in the neutral zone. Not off sides.

And since the other team was certainly off side it should have been offsetting penalties with no yardage penalty. Critical since the field goal went from a 55 yarder to a 60 yard attempt.
The other team wasn't certainly offsides though...that line that's drawn on the picture isn't reality (if it was, it would be parallel to the yard line). Looks like he's probably really close. <edit> - maybe it is pretty close to parallel...tough to tell exactly, but we'd also need to know if this is the moment the ball is snapped

The bottom line is that the Steelers player is clearly lined up offsides...it's just a matter of if calling it in that instance is too "ticky tack", rather than letting it go.

Not sure it would have mattered in the end but this is certainly the poster child for incompetent and unethical NFL officiating. Fine her, suspend her or just can her.

I just grabbed some random photos. I am willing to get every single one of these has an OL player with his head over the LOS.

screen-shot-2014-10-17-at-8-06-22-am.png

svhotkfrwtmjcyxdvkex

pd2in9b69ph64prd4wtb
l9qegezd3fny6ewwqvsw
https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F10%2FE0D2532A-1C6C-4C75-8002-DE6B5C197F18-850x560.jpeg

The other team wasn't certainly offsides though...that line that's drawn on the picture isn't reality (if it was, it would be parallel to the yard line). Looks like he's probably really close. <edit> - maybe it is pretty close to parallel...tough to tell exactly, but we'd also need to know if this is the moment the ball is snapped

The bottom line is that the Steelers player is clearly lined up offsides...it's just a matter of if calling it in that instance is too "ticky tack", rather than letting it go.
The line looks crooked due to a photographic aberration known as ‘ keystoning’. Like a photo up a building distorts the look of the building.

the calls that were even more one sided for the Jags was the call on hitting the QB late on Steelers were the player for the Steelers did everything in his power to avoid Jags QB and a flag was thrown and then Pickett gets hit border line late (possible flag) and driven with the full weight of the defender on Picketts back no flag and Pickett gets injured and can not play the second half.......... really poorly officiated game. Only possitive, female ref would be offside quite a bit if playing on the line of scrimmage at WR.........

the calls that were even more one sided for the Jags was the call on hitting the QB late on Steelers were the player for the Steelers did everything in his power to avoid Jags QB and a flag was thrown and then Pickett gets hit border line late (possible flag) and driven with the full weight of the defender on Picketts back no flag and Pickett gets injured and can not play the second half.......... really poorly officiated game. Only possitive, female ref would be offside quite a bit if playing on the line of scrimmage at WR.........
Yep. Supposed to be a rule against putting full weight on QBs. And since Steelers play Thursday Pickett is probably out for that game.

I don't know the first one but there should have been a flag on Pickett's injury. The defender comes down with his full weight on the QB. that is a penalty even if he has the ball while in the pocket. The defender is no longer allowed to 'drive' the QB into the ground under any circumstances.

Reactions: bison13
you are both correct in saying that i was right........ in an era where you cannot graze a QB....Pickett gets slammed into the turf with no call. If that had happened to Tom Brady, the Umpire would have taken out a gun and shot the defender during the game........

These female refs doing NFL games is the biggest joke ever. There are probably hundreds of good male NCAA officials that will never sniff an NFL opportunity.

My brother talked to an NFL official from our home town and asked him what's the most difficult part of his job? His answer, female officials.

These female refs doing NFL games is the biggest joke ever. There are probably hundreds of good male NCAA officials that will never sniff an NFL opportunity.

My brother talked to an NFL official from our home town and asked him what's the most difficult part of his job? His answer, female officials.
I agree. The female ref doesn't know the nuances of the game and was calling it by the letter of the law. It's like all these customer service departments that have their call centers oversees. Sure, the people might speak English, but they have no clue about context and nuance.

I agree. The female ref doesn't know the nuances of the game and was calling it by the letter of the law. It's like all these customer service departments that have their call centers oversees. Sure, the people might speak English, but they have no clue about context and nuance.
Also, the football field, for obvious reasons, is no place for a female to be. This is just another example of stuff getting shoved down peoples' throats regardless of whether it's good or not. It looks totally ridiculous seeing officials with pony tails trying to officiate a game played by a bunch of 250 to 300 lb. men who constantly are saying some of the most vile words that you can hear to their opponents.

Last edited:
you are both correct in saying that i was right........ in an era where you cannot graze a QB....Pickett gets slammed into the turf with no call. If that had happened to Tom Brady, the Umpire would have taken out a gun and shot the defender during the game........
The lead referee who called the penalty on the Steelers and didn't call one on Jax, despite the latter play being much more blatant than the former, definitely should be suspended. That was a disgrace.

If I had been Tomlin, I would've gone "Earl Waever" on that official as soon as the half ended, and wouldn't have cared if I had been ejected. I mean, not only was the penalty called on your team but not for your team, but also your starting qb got knocked out of the game because of the hit. Of course, Tomlin did nothing, which just is an example of how complacent the Steelers have become under his leadership.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Also, the football field, for obvious reasons, is no place for a female to be. This is just another example of stuff getting shoved down peoples' throats regardless of whether it's good or not. It looks totally ridiculous seeing officials with pony tails trying to officiate a game played by a bunch of 250 to 300 lb. men who constantly are saying some of the most vile words that you can hear to their opponents.
Thankfully, it's not 1950 any more, and the world is evolving.

The lead referee who called the penalty on the Steelers and didn't call one on Jax, despite the latter play being much more blatant than the former, definitely should be suspended. That was a disgrace.
The Steelers play is further offsides in that one than the Jacksonville player...you can argue that it's rarely called and should have been let go, but it's not like it was a wrong call to get them for lining up in the neutral zone, as he was really far forward.

The Steelers play is further offsides in that one than the Jacksonville player...you can argue that it's rarely called and should have been let go, but it's not like it was a wrong call to get them for lining up in the neutral zone, as he was really far forward.
The Steeler in the neutral zone is the center…permitted. Looks like right guard is also in the zone.

Should have been offsetting penalties with a rekick from same spot. Instead it turned into a 60 yd attempt. On natural turf, in rain.

I agree with that but the calls have to be consistent. We just saw the entire first quarter of the season, in the NFL, allow OTs to line up in the backfield and leave early. An inconsistent call is still a bad call. If it is never called, why then? I posted a half dozen photos showing the OL always has their heads over the ball on FGs. Yet, I've never seen that called even once.

The Steeler in the neutral zone is the center…permitted. Looks like right guard is also in the zone.

Should have been offsetting penalties with a rekick from same spot. Instead it turned into a 60 yd attempt. On natural turf, in rain.
The center is fine...the Steelers RG is in the neutral zone (the LG is too, but likely not enough to call it).

I agree with that but the calls have to be consistent. We just saw the entire first quarter of the season, in the NFL, allow OTs to line up in the backfield and leave early. An inconsistent call is still a bad call. If it is never called, why then? I posted a half dozen photos showing the OL always has their heads over the ball on FGs. Yet, I've never seen that called even once.
Honestly, you can't tell anything from any of those pictures...you need to see it down the line. And I've seen it called multiple times before, but it's definitely rare. Not sure if that's because it's rare for guys to push the limit that much, or it's rare for them to call it even when a guy is clearly lined up in the neutral zone.

Yeah, and much of the evolution that is happening now is not good, but rather is absurd and unncessary.
With the officiating shortage across all sports, it's very necessary to tap into new talent pools. And there is nothing at all with officiating a sporting event that requires a skill-set that only males would possess.

Honestly, you can't tell anything from any of those pictures...you need to see it down the line. And I've seen it called multiple times before, but it's definitely rare. Not sure if that's because it's rare for guys to push the limit that much, or it's rare for them to call it even when a guy is clearly lined up in the neutral zone.
OK...I've been watching NFL football my entire life. I don't recall a single time when they called the offense for lining up offsides. I've seen it against the Defense, but never the offense.

And to the photos, both photos clearly show the Steeler's helmets over the line but by inches while the defender is also over the line by the same amount.

With the officiating shortage across all sports, it's very necessary to tap into new talent pools. And there is nothing at all with officiating a sporting event that requires a skill-set that only males would possess.
the one point that was brought up that you have not addressed is the safety factor. I am not in favor of older men or lighter woman being on the field with the size of the players that play today.

The other factor is that if there is a fast track to get more ladies into the NFL to referee a game, then by definition they will have less experience than the other male referees who had to work their way up....which would have allowed them to gain more experience. Less experience in a game that is getting faster would seem to be a recipe for more errors which even the casual NFL watcher can see, seems to be happening. The Steeler game yesterday had many missed and odd calls and most of these went in favor of Jacksonville.

the one point that was brought up that you have not addressed is the safety factor. I am not in favor of older men or lighter woman being on the field with the size of the players that play today.

The other factor is that if there is a fast track to get more ladies into the NFL to referee a game, then by definition they will have less experience than the other male referees who had to work their way up....which would have allowed them to gain more experience. Less experience in a game that is getting faster would seem to be a recipe for more errors which even the casual NFL watcher can see, seems to be happening. The Steeler game yesterday had many missed and odd calls and most of these went in favor of Jacksonville.
Agree completely that some of them are moving too quickly through the ranks.

But in terms of size...if you take out all of the women and older men, you're not going to have nearly enough people left to officiate games. It doesn't make sense to have a smaller woman/man or older official working as an Umpire in the middle of the field. However, that shouldn't prevent them from working out on the sides of the field.

Agree completely that some of them are moving too quickly through the ranks.

But in terms of size...if you take out all of the women and older men, you're not going to have nearly enough people left to officiate games. It doesn't make sense to have a smaller woman/man or older official working as an Umpire in the middle of the field. However, that shouldn't prevent them from working out on the sides of the field.
Yep lots of older dudes.

OK. I don’t know the rules, but it would seem impossible for the center to snap it while keeping his head behind the ball. Further, I would think a long snapper would tilt and pull the ball a couple inches preparing to snap causing the “neutral zone” to move back a couple inches. No competitive advantage, just what a long snapper needs to do. I hope no extensive rewrites of the rule book are necessary for something so stupid.

The call then no call on the QB hits were egregious. Bad calls.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Again, they clearly don't understand the rule for what constitutes offsides on the offense. You can argue that it should have been ignored, but can't really argue that the RG wasn't offsides.
No one was ‘off sides’. Both teams were quilty of encroachmen or lining up in the neutral zone. Off setting penalties.

Again, they clearly don't understand the rule for what constitutes offsides on the offense. You can argue that it should have been ignored, but can't really argue that the RG wasn't offsides.
Agree with that...however, if it is never called, one has to wonder why it was called there.

I have no problems with women being officials. I do have a problem with them coming to the NFL without adequate experience. You know that has to be the case since all of sudden every crew has them. I am sure they haven't been toiling the last 10-years in HS and CFB waiting for a break.

I have a problem with it, just as I had a problem with an 85 year old Joe Paterno standing on the sideline. The bodies of women, children, and old people are not designed for the impact of a racing 300 pounds of beef.

This is ridiculous. Are we saying it is impossible to find fit, qualified males for officiating on a football field? Let's be honest. That is not what is going on here.

Reactions: 84Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT