ADVERTISEMENT

SpaceX is simply phenomenal

It looked like a skyscraper getting launched into space. I'm no fan of Musk but am in awe of the engineering that goes into something like tech marvel.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Musk believes this platform is all that is needed to go to Mars. Once perfected, he'll be looking for a team to spend two years of their lives going to and getting back from Mars. This is probably just a few years away.

Musk should probably consider doing some launches from other countries if he wants to get more launches in.

We spent most of the winter at Cocoa Beach and saw launches. When the booster comes off, they land it upright on a barge and tow it back in, which I thought was amazing.
I think that failed today and it ended up in the ocean.

We spent most of the winter at Cocoa Beach and saw launches. When the booster comes off, they land it upright on a barge and tow it back in, which I thought was amazing.
SpaceX lost contact with its Starship rocket on reentry over the Indian Ocean

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
IDK. I've got it from very smart people that it's just billionaires making vanity plays to go to space when there are hungry people.
That’s the same argument the NAACP used when Armstrong walked on the moon. It was a loser then and it’s a loser now. But if you say instead of politicians flushing billions on their campaigns, that money could be directed to places like Milton Hershey Med Center or St. Jude’s you might be on to something.

That’s the same argument the NAACP used when Armstrong walked on the moon. It was a loser then and it’s a loser now. But if you say instead of politicians flushing billions on their campaigns, that money could be directed to places like Milton Hershey Med Center or St. Jude’s you might be on to something.
you missed the snark. his comment was tongue-in-cheek. I always denote my snark with TiC.

• Love
Reactions: heckmans
FEMu8uUUUAM-o2N

Yep, burned up on re-entry

There was no plan for it to land on a barge, but to just splash down into the ocean. There is some amazing video of it during reentry before it burned up, I'll see if I can find it.

IDK. I've got it from very smart people that it's just billionaires making vanity plays to go to space when there are hungry people.
It's the public who can't think critically about space exploration. We would still have NASA without the billionaires.

Couple thoughts: An amazing difference between this and the 60s/70s NASA launches. Back then the launch team engineers were all crew cut in short sleeved white shirts with narrow ties. And it was dead silent from a few minutes before launch until flight control was handed off to Houston. You could hear specialty teams announcing status one by one to confirm systems were nominal.

This team was screaming like a White Out crowd the entire final minute before lift off and at every key data point. Exciting but how could various flight system engineers communicate?

During reentry; at roughly T+40 minutes and about a minute before the first heat plasma appeared you could see numerous pieces of material floating by. The two talking analysts never mentioned it but my guess it was pieces of the heat shield coming off due to stresses on the hull and the heat. That is probably what doomed the ship.

A great accomplishment and having live video the whole flight was great for civilians like us but also great for data analysts. Hearing after flight reports will be fascinating.

Couple thoughts: An amazing difference between this and the 60s/70s NASA launches. Back then the launch team engineers were all crew cut in short sleeved white shirts with narrow ties. And it was dead silent from a few minutes before launch until flight control was handed off to Houston. You could hear specialty teams announcing status one by one to confirm systems were nominal.

This team was screaming like a White Out crowd the entire final minute before lift off and at every key data point. Exciting but how could various flight system engineers communicate?

During reentry; at roughly T+40 minutes and about a minute before the first heat plasma appeared you could see numerous pieces of material floating by. The two talking analysts never mentioned it but my guess it was pieces of the heat shield coming off due to stresses on the hull and the heat. That is probably what doomed the ship.

A great accomplishment and having live video the whole flight was great for civilians like us but also great for data analysts. Hearing after flight reports will be fascinating.
You are seeing and hearing two groups of people and it's a split screen. The people yelling and cheering aren't in the same room as the engineers.

That was definitely heat shield coming off. It looked like they were having some issues maintaining attitude as reentry started. Still a pretty huge success.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
You are seeing and hearing two groups of people and it's a split screen. The people yelling and cheering aren't in the same room as the engineers.

That was definitely heat shield coming off. It looked like they were having some issues maintaining attitude as reentry started. Still a pretty huge success.
Thanks, didn’t realize the split screen.

And surprised they didn’t say anything about the heat shield tiles as they were quite obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT