ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Columbia

Southern returns a ton next year. The soph running back Garcia is closing in on 2,000 yd this season , and Fleming a soph also

Believe it or not. Fleming has a bit of an injury. There is speculation he may sit out basketball
season and have a hip procedure.

You guys and the redshirting. I was barely 15, and had to play against Penn State recruit Rich Bolinsky, who was probably 19 but looked 32.

I played against future NFL guys in college, but was never half as nervous as I was before that game.
Back in the 60s Shikellamy had a guy named Junior Walter, who I swear was 20 when he graduated. He went to Oklahoma State as I recall.

Don't know if they invented it, but Jazz Diminick perfected it.
Yeah, he had quite a legacy, including his 6 sons who all played in college after their time at Mt. Carmel. Here's his obit from a few years back:
http://republicanherald.com/sports/...rmel-coach-joe-jazz-diminick-passes-1.1713866

list of accomplishments Joe "Jazz" Diminick achieved during his coaching career at Mount Carmel from 1962-92:

- Compiled record of 267-81-7 in 31 seasons. His 290 wins overall were the most in Pennsylvania at that time.

- Won five Eastern Conference Southern Division championships

- Won three overall Eastern Conference championships ('69, '72, '73)

- Won 10 or more games 13 times

- Three unbeaten 12-0 seasons

- Produced 15 Big 33 players

- More than 200 of his players went on to play college football

Reactions: marshall23
Their quarterback is from Lewisburg.

Garcia is actually from Mt Carmel - then Shamokin - then Southern

I’m not sure if the QB lives in Southern - there was a poster on here from Lewisburg that said his family still lives in Lewisburg

Also, I played for Jazz and was 17 as a senior (and when I started college for that matter). I played on teams with two Diminick’s and two Scicchitano’s- all but one I think redshirted.

I know a lot of kids who did and a lot of kids who didn’t - we certainly had our share though

Last edited:
I figured Roth was doing some inventive "re-districting" since they are loaded every year.
When I played midget football in the Skook we played Mt. Carmel every year. I played against Mike Diminick who ran like a frickin' deer. We were always amazed when we'd take the field against them and the Mt. Carmel "7th graders" would have full beards.

I’m not sure if the QB lives in Southern - there was a poster on here from Lewisburg that said his family still lives in Lewisburg

Also, I played for Jazz and was 17 as a senior (and when I started college for that matter). I played on teams with two Diminick’s and two Scicchitano’s- all but one I think redshirted.

I know a lot of kids who did and a lot of kids who didn’t - we certainly had our share though
I'm not a big fan of holding boys back once they start school. However, I see nothing wrong with starting a boy in school later rather than earlier. I can't tell you how many boys I coached who came back to say hello a year after they graduated and had become monsters (still age appropriate for HS).

I'm not a big fan of holding boys back once they start school. However, I see nothing wrong with starting a boy in school later rather than earlier. I can't tell you how many boys I coached who came back to say hello a year after they graduated and had become monsters (still age appropriate for HS).

I’m with you in that

But the way I look at it as long as they are “around 18-ish” at graduation, no matter how they get there, I’m okay with it

I’m with you in that

But the way I look at it as long as they are “around 18-ish” at graduation, no matter how they get there, I’m okay with it
As A retired educator and the father of 2 sons.....I would be concerned with "holding back" children as their friends and peers advance. Remember the vast majority of kids aren't going to be great high school athletes, let alone participate in college.
I just favor letting a 4 or 5 years old wait to start school and calculating that they turn 18 during their senior year (if possible).

You can play as a 19 yr old. I believe gut-off mid-July
Been in NY since 1972, here it is you have eligibility for 8 consecutive semester after you enter 9th grade. If you turn 19 after July 1, you are eligible for that year. I'm sure Pa is probably close to the same.

I believe Pa has moved the clock back to 7th grade. Six years to play once you start 7th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT