ADVERTISEMENT

In Thurs night games..

SLion

May 29, 2001
I've been watching Utes vs Gators. Utah is so well coached. Rising still injured from Rose Bowl but Barnes throws 70 yard TD on first play from scrimmage. Mertz starting for Gators. Sorry but he just does not inspire. He is serviceable but inaccurate and TO prone at key times. Utes appear strong on both sides, up 17-3 at half.

Rhule's first game against Gophers looks like a stinker. 3-0 at half. Looks like Neb QB threw bad INT in EZ, killing a good chance late in 2nd.

On that TD that just happened. Is one of the new rules that the defenders can’t leave the end zone.

Reactions: psu00
I've been watching Utes vs Gators. Utah is so well coached. Rising still injured from Rose Bowl
I thought Rising was injured prior to the Rose Bowl, no? Just aggravated it agains us.

I've been watching Utes vs Gators. Utah is so well coached. Rising still injured from Rose Bowl but Barnes throws 70 yard TD on first play from scrimmage. Mertz starting for Gators. Sorry but he just does not inspire. He is serviceable but inaccurate and TO prone at key times. Utes appear strong on both sides, up 17-3 at half.

Rhule's first game against Gophers looks like a stinker. 3-0 at half. Looks like Neb QB threw bad INT in EZ, killing a good chance late in 2nd.
Nebraska ending up blowing another game that they probably should've won, which happens now as often as the Sun rising in the East regardless of who coaches them. That program is a perfect example of a team that hopes rather than expects to win, because they have lost almost every one score game in which they've been involved in the last several seasons, which have been a lot.

Last edited:
Minny offense is crap but that TD to tie it up was a hell of a catch. Not much of a running game compared to years past. That short passing game isn't gonna work. Nebraska saw that and played their receivers tight. The Huskers gave one away.

Agreed and thought the same thing I have much more respect for the rose bowl win.

It should be noted that their QB is no piker. He’s had a lot of playing time and almost beat tOSU in the 2021 rose bowl when Cam (again) was hurt.

Reactions: Online Persona
Im tired of middle of the pack QB's getting attention like they are going to be more than middle of the pack QB's because they transferred somewhere else. Only a few Caleb Williams out there, the rest are trash.

Im tired of middle of the pack QB's getting attention like they are going to be more than middle of the pack QB's because they transferred somewhere else. Only a few Caleb Williams out there, the rest are trash.
It's also a shame that a lot of these schools don't want to develop their own qbs and possibly suffer a down season, and continually bring in free agents. I watched parts of three games last night (UConn-NCSU, UF-Utah and Minny-NU), and at least four out of the six starting qbs transferred from other schools; the NCSU qb transferred within the ACC from UVA. It's ridiculous that you have situations like Pitt's starting qb, who now is on his third school after ND and BC.

It's also a shame that a lot of these schools don't want to develop their own qbs and possibly suffer a down season, and continually bring in free agents. I watched parts of three games last night (UConn-NCSU, UF-Utah and Minny-NU), and at least four out of the six starting qbs transferred from other schools; the NCSU qb transferred within the ACC from UVA. It's ridiculous that you have situations like Pitt's starting qb, who now is on his third school after ND and BC.
And Pitts record will show it.

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid
The schools do want to develop them. The problem is the good players want to play NOW. So they transfer

Years ago, I read an nfl start that said QBs entering the nfl had a substantially better success rate if they started for two or more years and this was a major factor in drafting them.

In the end, caches get talent from several sources, do their best to develop them, then play the kid that gives them the best chance to win. In todays college football, there is no tomorrow.

There's pressure on coaches to win now so they're going to find a QB that they believe gives them the best chance to win.

There's pressure on coaches to win now so they're going to find a QB that they believe gives them the best chance to win.
In this case, some of these schools are going to have a new free agent qb every season; Pitt now has had a different free agent qb start the last two seasons, and they'll probably have another one for next season because their deranged coach is afraid to break in a young and inexperienced qb.

At least Franklin has cultivated his home grown qbs.

In this case, some of these schools are going to have a new free agent qb every season; Pitt now has had a different free agent qb start the last two seasons, and they'll probably have another one for next season because their deranged coach is afraid to break in a young and inexperienced qb.

At least Franklin has cultivated his home grown qbs.
I won't be upset if we ever have a kid from the portal as our QB. Not using the portal isn't an option in this era.

Minny offense is crap but that TD to tie it up was a hell of a catch. Not much of a running game compared to years past. That short passing game isn't gonna work. Nebraska saw that and played their receivers tight. The Huskers gave one away.
The catch was fantastic but the route (fake/cut) was textbook and should be shown by WR coaches across America.

Arizona State 24. Southern Utah 21.

Nope, not a misprint. Arizona State is going 1-11 this year.

What? Please explain.
My remark was sarcasm. On the play the Utah QB rolled out, and when no one was open he headed towards the end zone. The Florida DB’s stayed with their coverage too long. A reasonable choice. Unfortunately for them, before they realized that he was going to waltz into the end zone it was too late to stop him. He crossed the goal line, and they were all still in the end zone covering their receivers. Thus my comment.

I won't be either, but I hope that PSU never uses it as a crutch like a lot of schools do.
Which is fair but low tier schools almost have. Pitt doing it doesn't bother me. Florida doing it says how far they've fallen

Nebraska ending up blowing another game that they probably should've won, which happens now as often as the Sun rising in the East regardless of who coaches them. That program is a perfect example of a team that hopes rather than expects to win, because they have lost almost every one score game in which they've been involved in the last several seasons, which have been a lot.
Honestly it is the QB play. I think Neb has been in love with the athletic QB since Frazier, Frost and Crouch had them top of the world. Great teams 25-30 years ago but the landscape has changed. Sims is unfortunately the same story. He is not accurate and his INTs lost the game. You need accurate passer and quick strike passing attack to compete. You have to score point. Neb D kept them in games but they keep playing these teams close, teams below their talent / stature yet lose time and time again. The UN magic is completely lost. Man, I remember those OLs and DLs year after year. The strongest around and now a shell.

Honestly it is the QB play. I think Neb has been in love with the athletic QB since Frazier, Frost and Crouch had them top of the world. Great teams 25-30 years ago but the landscape has changed. Sims is unfortunately the same story. He is not accurate and his INTs lost the game. You need accurate passer and quick strike passing attack to compete. You have to score point. Neb D kept them in games but they keep playing these teams close, teams below their talent / stature yet lose time and time again. The UN magic is completely lost. Man, I remember those OLs and DLs year after year. The strongest around and now a shell.
My personal opinion, Casey Thompson who was Nebraska's QB last year would have been a better fit for Ruhl's style. When Sims entered the portal, the OC & Ruhl went after Sims who had a terrible TD to INT ration @ GT and had questionable accuracy. Thompson now plays @ FIU for HC Tom Herman who was his QB coach & HC @ Texas. Casey played pretty well last year with a very limited group of skill players. Sims, as we saw last night is an accomplished runner but still makes poor decisions in the passing game.

Arizona State 24. Southern Utah 21.

Nope, not a misprint. Arizona State is going 1-11 this year.
It was 21-7 at halftime before the extended weather delay due to a sandstorm and then thunderstorm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT