ADVERTISEMENT

South Dakota must be faking injuries

Maybe so. I’ve had a nice time whenever I’ve been around PSU fans, even last year in Iowa City. Was in Happy Valley back in the 90s and had a great time. PSU fans were very welcoming. One of the best places I’ve been to.
You seem like a nice guy....don't take some here personally. We have many here who suffer from anhedonia.
That being said, as a guy who long respected KF as "a coaches coach," his smelling a rat comment was uncalled for....

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
You seem like a nice guy....don't take some here personally. We have many here who suffer from anhedonia.
That being said, as a guy who long respected KF as "a coaches coach," his smelling a rat comment was uncalled for....

Ya think so? We lost 5 starters to injury in that game - 2 for the season. Ferentz's comments were beyond classless, and his Assistant Coach's antics of mocking our injured players, by flailing around on the ground, was disgusting. Typical classless b1g douchebag behavior.

Ya think so? We lost 5 starters to injury in that game - 2 for the season. Ferentz's comments were beyond classless, and his Assistant Coach's antics of mocking our injured players, by flailing around on the ground, was disgusting. Typical classless b1g douchebag behavior.
Injuries unfortunately are a big factor in football. Iowa's coaching staff doesn't have a patent on classless behavior. I expressed my disappointment in KF. Sorry that wasn't adequate for you.

Injuries unfortunately are a big factor in football. Iowa's coaching staff doesn't have a patent on classless behavior. I expressed my disappointment in KF. Sorry that wasn't adequate for you.

It was more than just KF. I've never seen more classless behavior than that of his Assistant. And Iowa's fans booing injured PSU players moments after their Children's Hospital "look at how wonderful we are" display demonstrates what raging hypocritical pricks they are in reality.

It was more than just KF. I've never seen more classless behavior than that of his Assistant. And Iowa's fans booing injured PSU players moments after their Children's Hospital "look at how wonderful we are" display demonstrates what raging hypocritical pricks they are in reality.
As the HFC KF is ultimately responsible for the demeanor of this staff.

The comment was uncharacteristic for KF as he rarely veers too far from coaches speak but I think he said it in support of some of the coaches who's thoughts mirrored his comment. I won’t argue the injuries one way or the other. It obviously was a very heated environment.

The comment was uncharacteristic for KF as he rarely veers too far from coaches speak but I think he said it in support of some of the coaches who's thoughts mirrored his comment. I won’t argue the injuries one way or the other. It obviously was a very heated environment.
It was uncharacteristic. Coaches rolling around on the ground....mocking injuries.....would get you fired as a high school coach, if I were still an active AD.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

You won't argue the injuries one way or the other??? WTF does that mean??? You can't "argue" facts - PSU lost 5 starters in the game for the rest of the game, 2 of them for the entire season.

I’ll point out that the university nor the team had anything to do with the start of the hospital wave. It was started on social media by one single woman who saw it as a nice idea to do for the kids and that was her focus. Nothing to do with “look at me or us” type of thing at all. It really started organically completely separate from the team and then was handed to the university who agreed with the woman and they ran with it. I think it’s a wonderful thing and most visiting fans and players do as well.

I think it’s funny you stand behind facts then make strong comments based only on opinion….

No, it isn't my "opinion" that Ferentz, his staff and the entire Iowa fanbase acted in a classless, and frankly disgraceful, fashion during AND AFTER, the game - it is an objective fact as the game tape and PC tape objectively prove.

Last edited:
It was never whether the players were faking or not. It was the absolutely absurd insinuation that it was to slow down the vaunted Iowa west coast, fast paced, point a minute offense. It was laughable.
I don’t think the thought was the slowing down of the offense. It was about keeping the crowd out of the game. No one on the Iowa side argued slowing down the offense.

No, it isn't my "opinion" that Ferentz, his staff and the entire Iowa fanbase acted in a classless, and frankly disgraceful, fashion during AND AFTER, the game - it is an objective fact as the game tape and PC tape objectively prove.
“Entire Iowa fan base”? That’s your opinion. Do you know it as a fact?

Wow. You believe Purdue is good. Based on what. They are a 5 win team at best. Could get lucky and get a Sixth but thay are garbage this year. Not that any of that matters. The issue remains the same as previous years. Bad OL play, no running game, LB make very few plays, and most of all QB play is borderline D1. Oh and one more thing, WR are always covered. This game was won due to more talent not better coaching period and that is the problem. Franklin loses every game to a team with anything close to the talent level of his team. And occasionally to a team with a great talent disparity.
No the real problem is as the other poster, the endless whining by “experts” on this board. Get back to me at the end of the year about Purdue only winning 5 games this year. This has been one of my “favorite” theme from PSU haters for years. Before they play a given team, lots of chatter about how PSU is going to lose. When PSU wins, the immediate excuse was well that team wasn’t any damn good any way.

I don’t think the thought was the slowing down of the offense. It was about keeping the crowd out of the game. No one on the Iowa side argued slowing down the offense.
So for the first time in the history of college football a team fakes injury to take a crowd out of the game….bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

Last edited:
Can you argue the crowd had zero effect on that game?
That’s not the point, no one has ever accused a team of faking injuries to take the crowd out of it. The faking injuries ploy is about slowing down an offense. There’s not a coach in America who plans a strategy in the prior week to take a crowd out of a game when they don’t even know if the crowd will be into the game. A coordinated effort to fake injuries is not something that can be done on the fly….they would have had to know they were going to do that prior to the game and the only reason to do that is if you know you’re going up against a high speed offense.

That’s not the point, no one has ever accused a team of faking injuries to take the crowd out of it. The faking injuries ploy is about slowing down an offense. There’s not a coach in America who plans a strategy in the prior week to take a crowd out of a game when they don’t even know if the crowd will be into the game. A coordinated effort to fake injuries is not something that can be done on the fly….they would have had to know they were going to do that prior to the game and the only reason to do that is if you know you’re going up against a high speed offense.
Why then do coaches pipe in artificial crowd noise in practice to prep for a hostile environment? It can be argued the crowd won that game more so than the team did. It was so load as to interrupt the snap and flow of the PSU offense. On a neutral field or in the road Iowa would not have won.

Why then do coaches pipe in artificial crowd noise in practice to prep for a hostile environment? It can be argued the crowd won that game more so than the team did. It was so load as to interrupt the snap and flow of the PSU offense. On a neutral field or in the road Iowa would not have won.
Piping in crowd noise is a preparation, but you don’t plan a fake injury strategy when you don’t know if the crowd will be that much of a factor. If it was, at least one team in history would have done it, but they haven’t. And how exactly do you know when to have that injury? If the crowd is loud the whole game, you can’t have an injury every play. It’s a dumb argument that Ferentz and Iowa fans used after they realized how stupid they were being when called out that faking injuries is used to slow teams down. Why didn’t PSU use that strategy against any other team when on the road? I’ve got news for you, they play in front of much larger and louder crowds than Iowa, yet they never did it before or since….interesting.

Reactions: hlstone
You don’t think Franklin knew the crowd would be loud? I don’t know that injuries were faked but Kinnick is always load especially at night. There was no doubt the crowd would be into the game and would be a factor. Dumb argument to say no one knew.

You don’t think Franklin knew the crowd would be loud? I don’t know that injuries were faked but Kinnick is always load especially at night. There was no doubt the crowd would be into the game and would be a factor. Dumb argument to say no one knew.
Again, why didn’t Penn State use it at Ohio State, or Michigan, or Michigan State, or Wisconsin, or any other loud stadium? Why only against Iowa? And crowds aren’t always loud…get off to a three TD lead and that usually quiets the crowd. Maybe Iowa comes out and has two or three turnovers right away, keeps the crowd out of it. There are a number of reasons crowds would not be into a game, so no coach in the world is going to put together a game strategy to take a crowd out of the game other than to beat them early. And don’t you think if it was a strategy, they would not have had their best players getting hurt, they would have had lesser players be the ones that get hurt? Doesn’t that make sense? “Hey, let’s have our best pass rusher, our best LB, and our best defensive back all get hurt….that will really take the crowd out of the game.” Yeah, that’s believable.

Reactions: mcpat
Maybe, maybe, maybe. But maybe not. I don’t know. I can’t speak for coaching strategies. I can say they likely differ from game to game. Maybe you can answer that. I know many PSU fans have taken issue with their own coaching strategies and decisions. Some very passionately. Most fan bases do. Franklin has even addressed some of those face to face.
Again, why didn’t Penn State use it at Ohio State, or Michigan, or Michigan State, or Wisconsin, or any other loud stadium? Why only against Iowa? And crowds aren’t always loud…get off to a three TD lead and that usually quiets the crowd. Maybe Iowa comes out and has two or three turnovers right away, keeps the crowd out of it. There are a number of reasons crowds would not be into a game, so no coach in the world is going to put together a game strategy to take a crowd out of the game other than to beat them early. And don’t you think if it was a strategy, they would not have had their best players getting hurt, they would have had lesser players be the ones that get hurt? Doesn’t that make sense? “Hey, let’s have our best pass rusher, our best LB, and our best defensive back all get hurt….that will really take the crowd out of the game.” Yeah, that’s believable.
Maybe, maybe, maybe. But maybe not. I don’t know. I can’t speak for coaching strategies. I can say they likely differ from game to game. Maybe you can answer that. I know many PSU fans have taken issue with their own coaching strategies and decisions. Some very passionately. Most fan bases do. Franklin has even addressed some of those face to face.
Also, I don’t think there would be a need to quiet the crowd much at Michigan. The place has not seemed loud when I’ve been there. Other stadiums yeah I would agree can be loud.
I don’t have answers to these questions. I just replied to a few posts because I enjoy reading your board but have always just lurked and not said anything. I grew up liking Penn State because of Paterno and the classic uniforms including the black shoes and of course the talent. I liked that you could compete with the Michigans and OSUs of the game consistently where Iowa could not. Not to say we never can but in the 70s and early 80s it was rare.

odd then that the NCAA addressed this in the off season. Yes, probably more to slow an offense but how can you argue the stopping of play doesn’t quiet a crowd?
PSU vs Michigan 1993, the BIG refs threatened to penalize us for excessive crowd noise. I can still see Michigan qb, Todd Collins coming to the line and looking at the refs and motioning that he couldn't hear. That was our introduction to the BIG 10, which has never accepted us as an equal. That is part of the reason many of us feel we have a right to be bitter.

• Love
Reactions: Ski
Too funny, and sadly typical, citing facts proving you wrong as usual is "taking it personal" to the loudmouth douche posing faux PSU fan. Trust me, I don't take anything personal that moronic a-hole child-boys say.
What facts. You stated nothing factual. SMMFH

Pre-season they were viewed as a potential contender in the league's West division, and I saw nothing that would argue against that. Which may say as much about the West -- take Iowa...please -- as about Purdue, but still.

A good QB can take a team a long way, and they've got that and a decent enough supporting cast. Also, their schedule is far from difficult. At Syracuse could be interesting. Later at Wisconsin. Couple out-of-conference cupcakes. The usual West teams. The remaining two crossovers are Maryland and Indiana. There are more than 5 W's on that list.

But they have to get their heads back in it and not let one tough loss set the tone for future games...as has happened to us on more than one occasion. The bottom line is that we had a very good win on the road to open the season. There's no reason to bad-mouth it.
PennState was ranked top ten last year and what happened. Means nothing until the end.

That happened to Iowa as well. And it was against Michigan. Harbaugh was the QB. The refs would stop play when crowd noise got too high and the PA announcer would come on and say the crowd must quiet down. I was at that game. Still remember Harbaugh throwing his hands up on multiple occasions while under center and the refs would stop play and announcer would say again and again to quiet down. I don’t remember if that was a rule or just acceptable for the refs to insert their control. It’s not the case today though as crowds are permitted to be as loud as they want

Also, I don’t think there would be a need to quiet the crowd much at Michigan. The place has not seemed loud when I’ve been there. Other stadiums yeah I would agree can be loud.
I don’t have answers to these questions. I just replied to a few posts because I enjoy reading your board but have always just lurked and not said anything. I grew up liking Penn State because of Paterno and the classic uniforms including the black shoes and of course the talent. I liked that you could compete with the Michigans and OSUs of the game consistently where Iowa could not. Not to say we never can but in the 70s and early 80s it was rare.
Many posters have taken issue with Franklin’s strategies and I guarantee that if faking injuries was one of those strategies, the posters on this board who hate him would have called him out on it numerous times, yet even they have never criticized him for that.

No the real problem is as the other poster, the endless whining by “experts” on this board. Get back to me at the end of the year about Purdue only winning 5 games this year. This has been one of my “favorite” theme from PSU haters for years. Before they play a given team, lots of chatter about how PSU is going to lose. When PSU wins, the immediate excuse was well that team wasn’t any damn good any way.
First off. I never thought PennState would lose this game. As I said,Purdue isn’t very good. I was more disappointed by the PennState performance more than anything else. This game did nothing more then reinforce my belief that this team is average. That means winning 6 to 8 games a year. Feast on the pansies and win a few against decent competition. But lose against above average teams. Pretty standard for middle tier teams.

That happened to Iowa as well. And it was against Michigan. Harbaugh was the QB. The refs would stop play when crowd noise got too high and the PA announcer would come on and say the crowd must quiet down. I was at that game. Still remember Harbaugh throwing his hands up on multiple occasions while under center and the refs would stop play and announcer would say again and again to quiet down. I don’t remember if that was a rule or just acceptable for the refs to insert their control. It’s not the case today though as crowds are permitted to be as loud as they want
The next time Iowa visits Happy Valley you will hear some serious crowd noise. And you will not find the fans to be as nice as you seem to recall. Not even close.

What facts. You stated nothing factual. SMMFH

Really? PSU suffering ACTUAL injuries that cost them 5 starters for the rest of the game (2 for the entire season) is not a fact? How does that FACT not diametrically conflict with "faking injuries"? Ferentz's, and his staffs', actions and statements are not "facts"??? Iowa's fans (the entire stadium) booing PSU student-athletes repeatedly throughout the game is not a "fact"? I'm afraid you're wrong again with your absurd declarative sentences moron - you clearly don't have the faintest clue as to the definition of a "fact" (i.e., something that actually happened in FACTUAL REALITY).

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
First off. I never thought PennState would lose this game. As I said,Purdue isn’t very good. I was more disappointed by the PennState performance more than anything else. This game did nothing more then reinforce my belief that this team is average. That means winning 6 to 8 games a year. Feast on the pansies and win a few against decent competition. But lose against above average teams. Pretty standard for middle tier teams.
You will always be disappointed by their performance.

odd then that the NCAA addressed this in the off season. Yes, probably more to slow an offense but how can you argue the stopping of play doesn’t quiet a crowd?
I didn't argue that it wouldn't quiet a crowd though. I argued that no freaking coach ever faked an injury to quiet a crowd. Ever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT