ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, but CJF is a perennial 9-3/10-2 coach!

College football has more parity today. However 10 to 11 wins should be expected with the number of games played. 3 out of conference gimmes and playing in a conference that usually only has 2 to 3 really good teams makes most games winnable. This conference isnt much better then the ACC if at all. One great team a year and everyone else.
Late entry for dumbest post of the year, but a sure winner. If there’s more parity, then 10 to 11 wins should not be expected….you get that, right? And saying the Big isn’t any better than the ACC? Come on, man….that’s just outright stupidity. Put the computer away before you hurt yourself.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Late entry for dumbest post of the year, but a sure winner. If there’s more parity, then 10 to 11 wins should not be expected….you get that, right? And saying the Big isn’t any better than the ACC? Come on, man….that’s just outright stupidity. Put the computer away before you hurt yourself.
AWS...correct me if I am wrong. But after the Cotton Bowl win in 2019(forget last year, it does not count) Franklin had won 11 games in three of 4 years. Only 4 other coaches in the country had more wins than him. People are just effing stupid, and lots of them post here! Yea..fire the guy, who ya gonna get!!! And when that guy goes 10-2, they will bitch about him too...

AWS...correct me if I am wrong. But after the Cotton Bowl win in 2019(forget last year, it does not count) Franklin had won 11 games in three of 4 years. Only 4 other coaches in the country had more wins than him. People are just effing stupid, and lots of them post here! Yea..fire the guy, who ya gonna get!!! And when that guy goes 10-2, they will bitch about him too...
Yep, 42 wins in four years….that’s not good enough! We need to find a coach that will make us better than Bama….but it has to be a big name coach….so who does that leave? Um, no one. The only thing some of these posters would accept is undefeated every year.

Yep, 42 wins in four years….that’s not good enough! We need to find a coach that will make us better than Bama….but it has to be a big name coach….so who does that leave? Um, no one. The only thing some of these posters would accept is undefeated every year.
Well, I for one think he will be at USC next fall. So these experts will fall in love with the new guy...until he loses a game!

Reactions: AWS1022
Get over it. The Big 10 is over rated every year. Stop looking with you blue and white glasses. Head to head against the ACC the record would be close to 50/50.

Interesting stats from during 10 years not including this year.

SEC 63 - 35 (70% of SEC teams playing each yr) 7 natl champs
Big 10 37 - 48 (61% of Big10 teams playing each yr) 1 natl champ
ACC 40 - 51 (64% of ACC teams playing each yr) 2 natl champs
Big 12 40 - 34 (74% of Big12 teams playing each yr) no natl champs
Pac 12 39 - 37 (63% of Pac12 teams playing each yr) no natl champs
Get over it. The Big 10 is over rated every year. Stop looking with your blue and white glasses. Head to head against the ACC the record would be close to 50/50.

Last edited:
Not even Saban and Day can go undefeated every year. I ask you this (and I mean this not to start a firestorm, but a neutral toned question)....at what point is winning 9 or 10 in the regular season unacceptable in your eyes, if at all? JF has never had an 11 win regular season -- no playoff appearances, and one division title. For how he plays the leverage game virtually every year wanting more for the program, at what point do you think it's fair for the admin to push back a little? I know you are a staunch defender of him and the program on this board -- and that isn't a criticism. I'm seriously asking your thoughts. Because, IMO, assuming JF doesn't go to USC and stays longer, let's say another couple of years... if his only B1G title is in 2016 (which likely means no future playoffs either), to me that is an underwhelming performance with all the talent he has brought in. After OSU in this conference, it is a bunch of very good, good, and then blah programs. This isn't the SEC meatgrinder. Again, just my two cents.

Reactions: ftlpsu and manilion
Get over it. The Big 10 is over rated every year. Stop looking with you blue and white glasses. Head to head against the ACC the record would be close to 50/50.
Outside of Clemson there’s not a single team in the ACC that could compete in the Big 10 East or with Iowa or Wiscy. When the top of one conference is comparable to the bottom of another conference, they’re not equal. Besides Clemson, what team in the ACC would beat OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, MD, Wiscy, or Iowa? Hell, Rutgers, Indiana and Nebraska would compete for the ACC Coastal crown.

let's say another couple of years... if his only B1G title is in 2016 (which likely means no future playoffs either), to me that is an underwhelming performance with all the talent he has brought in. After OSU

If other teams were winning the conference with regularity, this would be a huge indictment of JF underperforming.

They aren't. Outside of Sparty in '13 & '15, and us in '16, the Buckeyes have been the team since '12, an undefeated year in which they weren't eligible.

Unless you want to buy Saban, Urban, Dabo, or pull an NFL coach of high pedigree... I'm not certain what can be done outside of an administration that is pro-football on the scale of the usual suspects.

Reactions: Madsol
Not even Saban and Day can go undefeated every year. I ask you this (and I mean this not to start a firestorm, but a neutral toned question)....at what point is winning 9 or 10 in the regular season unacceptable in your eyes, if at all? JF has never had an 11 win regular season -- no playoff appearances, and one division title. For how he plays the leverage game virtually every year wanting more for the program, at what point do you think it's fair for the admin to push back a little? I know you are a staunch defender of him and the program on this board -- and that isn't a criticism. I'm seriously asking your thoughts. Because, IMO, assuming JF doesn't go to USC and stays longer, let's say another couple of years... if his only B1G title is in 2016 (which likely means no future playoffs either), to me that is an underwhelming performance with all the talent he has brought in. After OSU in this conference, it is a bunch of very good, good, and then blah programs. This isn't the SEC meatgrinder. Again, just my two cents.
I’m fine with 9-10 win seasons….until we get an administration that is willing to do what’s necessary to be a top 5 level program, that’s where we will be and that’s light years ahead of most programs. And how is the SEC any more of a meat grinder than the Big 10? Half the top 10 right now is made up of Big teams…only two are SEC teams and it’s the same two teams they always have. The biggest problem with the Big 10 is the disparity in the divisions and unfortunately we’re in the tougher division.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I’m fine with 9-10 win seasons….until we get an administration that is willing to do what’s necessary to be a top 5 level program, that’s where we will be and that’s light years ahead of most programs. And how is the SEC any more of a meat grinder than the Big 10? Half the top 10 right now is made up of Big teams…only two are SEC teams and it’s the same two teams they always have. The biggest problem with the Big 10 is the disparity in the divisions and unfortunately we’re in the tougher division.
This NIL and portal stuff is a true game changer. The rich will get richer. Five years from now PSU people will be doing cartwheels for a 9-3 year, unless we adapt.

Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.
He’ll never make the playoffs.
This program will never make the playoffs with him as coach.

Anyone care to disagree?
Yeah, me. With our game plan last Saturday and Clifford in the game, we win going away. Franklin oversees game plans.
What is your problem, man?
There, you’ve been lightly slammed but I’m sure nothing will change your mind. That sort of mindset seems to be very contagious these days.

Outside of Clemson there’s not a single team in the ACC that could compete in the Big 10 East or with Iowa or Wiscy. When the top of one conference is comparable to the bottom of another conference, they’re not equal. Besides Clemson, what team in the ACC would beat OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, MD, Wiscy, or Iowa? Hell, Rutgers, Indiana and Nebraska would compete for the ACC Coastal crown.
Ok. I’m with you on the bottom dweller ACC teams. However most of those teams ar not there for football and don’t put the resources to match the Big 10. All Big 10 schools put allot of resources in their football programs.

Taking out OSU and Clemson. No one in either conference is dominating enough to guarantee victory over most of the other schools. FSU and Miami have been down lately but given the right coaching won’t take long to come back. Programs like NC State, UNC, Duke are better then you give them credit. BC, Wake Foreat, VT, Georgia Tech and Louisville will challenge all the mid tier teams as well.

LOL. So would Ferentz, Harbaugh, Mullen, Smart, etc.
The only on on this list I can agree with is Ferentz. Talent doesn’t always win. It helps but coaching is needed to get you there. Ferentz proves every year he can do more with less talent across the board. Maybe Alvarez also did just as much with less talent but he is no longer in the picture.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Ok. I’m with you on the bottom dweller ACC teams. However most of those teams ar not there for football and don’t put the resources to match the Big 10. All Big 10 schools put allot of resources in their football programs.

Taking out OSU and Clemson. No one in either conference is dominating enough to guarantee victory over most of the other schools. FSU and Miami have been down lately but given the right coaching won’t take long to come back. Programs like NC State, UNC, Duke are better then you give them credit. BC, Wake Foreat, VT, Georgia Tech and Louisville will challenge all the mid tier teams as well.

The top school or a couple of schools aren’t what makes a conference tough, it’s the rest of them. I’m quite certain without OSU, PSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Wiscy and Iowa are strong enough to dominate the ACC. Pitt won the Coastal division in 2018 and we beat them 51-6. And how many coaches do FSU and Miami have to go through to become good again?

This is not a question that matters to most on this board. Judging by the comments most would be happy at 6 wins.

Reactions: scrivener
Yeah, me. With our game plan last Saturday and Clifford in the game, we win going away. Franklin oversees game plans.
What is your problem, man?
There, you’ve been lightly slammed but I’m sure nothing will change your mind. That sort of mindset seems to be very contagious these days.
Yes, I agree with your first sentence.
I’m not using last game as my litmus, I’m using a 5-6 years span.
All the games JF has flat out blown in the 4th Q is my problem. With the generational talent he had from 16-18, he should’ve made at least 1 CFP appearance.
My mind will be changed when he stops blowing 4thQ leads, stops being OSUs bitch, and stops eking by B1G cellar-dwellers.
I hope I’m 100% full of excrement, in stating that above paragraph, and would love nothing more to have a giant plate of crow, starting 10/23/21.
I’d love NOTHING more than to have my mind changed, believe me!
WE ARE….

Find one post that points to being happy at 6 wins…I’ll wait.
All you have do read between the lines. There are more shocking loses under Franklin then wins. Most people on this board wrote PS off as losing as soon as Clifford went down. Not a lot of faith in the program from what I can see. Which translates to not allot of faith in Franklin. Which can be understandable considering previous history.

All you have do read between the lines. There are more shocking loses under Franklin then wins. Most people on this board wrote PS off as losing as soon as Clifford went down. Not a lot of faith in the program from what I can see. Which translates to not allot of faith in Franklin. Which can be understandable considering previous history.

The wins @ Wisconsin and vs Auburn were shocking. Read every prognostication from the end of last year until the final whistle in Madison. Newsflash: this wasn't expected to be anything beyond an 8-4 team. Some would go 9-3. At best, with a little luck.

We win those games, stifle Indiana, and all of sudden we are top 4 and playoff is in our sights. I'm sorry that we lost and it hurt your feelings. Even Bama loses. And their starting QB played the whole game.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
That's just stupid.

The wins @ Wisconsin and vs Auburn were shocking. Read every prognostication from the end of last year until the final whistle in Madison. Newsflash: this wasn't expected to be anything beyond an 8-4 team. Some would go 9-3. At best, with a little luck.

We win those games, stifle Indiana, and all of sudden we are top 4 and playoff is in our sights. I'm sorry that we lost and it hurt your feelings. Even Bama loses. And their starting QB played the whole game.
I think his point is exactly what u mentioned in your first graph. Why is it shocking for a program like PSU to win in Madison or beat an Auburn team that has a great defense, but a very pedestrian offense with a new coach? And if many prognosticators had this team at 9-3 with a senior qb and all world secondary, when is it ever acceptable to expect a playoff year? Heck, next year most of the D is gone, Dotson gone, could be a major rebuild. Then the time table stretches even more. So by, year 10, is it ok to expect a playoff team? Come on.

Reactions: manilion
I think his point is exactly what u mentioned in your first graph. Why is it shocking for a program like PSU to win in Madison or beat an Auburn team that has a great defense, but a very pedestrian offense with a new coach? And if many prognosticators had this team at 9-3 with a senior qb and all world secondary, when is it ever acceptable to expect a playoff year? Heck, next year most of the D is gone, Dotson gone, could be a major rebuild. Then the time table stretches even more. So by, year 10, is it ok to expect a playoff team? Come on.
If you're Alabama or OSU, I'd expect it yearly. Anyone else is more hope.

I think most of it was due to the covid year 4-5. The same secondary that you call all world stunk in '20 and struggled in our '19 losses.

The senior QB played so bad in '20, many here were ready to replace him with dang near anybody.

I don't know what to tell ya as far as playoffs go. Since '86, we've had maybe 4-5 squads who were capable and fell short. Throw in another 4-6 who had the hype train and didn't come close. So 1 outta 3 years, maybe expect something.

Until Saban retires or gets sanctioned for some illegal stuff, it's relatively moot. If you weren't happy with '16-'19, you are going to self loathe even more with '15-'20 OSU recruiting, conference titles, and playoff losses.

I think most of it was due to the covid year 4-5. The same secondary that you call all world stunk in '20 and struggled in our '19 losses.

The senior QB played so bad in '20, many here were ready to replace him with dang near anybody.

I don't know what to tell ya as far as playoffs go. Since '86, we've had maybe 4-5 squads who were capable and fell short. Throw in another 4-6 who had the hype train and didn't come close. So 1 outta 3 years, maybe expect something.

Until Saban retires or gets sanctioned for some illegal stuff, it's relatively moot. If you weren't happy with '16-'19, you are going to self loathe even more with '15-'20 OSU recruiting, conference titles, and playoff losses.
I mean the secondary is all world so far...and the team is better sans Wade, Shelton and that group of malcontents. And expectations have to be recalibrated as a season goes on....for every program. As far as recruiting, OSU has more talent than anyone in the B1G, no doubt. PSU is 2nd...JF has outrecruited Hairball since 2017 and the volume of NFL quality players also speaks to that. Didn't MSU and Washington made a playoff. Doesn't matter they got smoked, unlike many on this board, I'd rather get there than not at all.

Really? I mean I think the expectations at ND, Oklahoma, Clemson would be if not playoffs or bust, at least a conf title game.
Clemson is short time, ND fans are more deluded than our fans, and Oklahoma doesn't have much competition there so I see that. Penn State isn't a player until they start out recruiting OSU and beating them half the time or better.

Reactions: manilion
Clemson is short time, ND fans are more deluded than our fans, and Oklahoma doesn't have much competition there so I see that. Penn State isn't a player until they start out recruiting OSU and beating them half the time or better.
Nobody will outrecruit OSU as long as they keep winning with Day or whomever. But, why is that the measuring stick as to the only way psu can win? We have been in down to the wire games and have collapsed...hard to quantify that simply with recruiting. And again, there are teams that have made the playoffs that do not recruit at the top level of their respective conferences...Our roster should be good enough every couple yrs to beat an OSU....overcoming sometimes is in the job description.

Nobody will outrecruit OSU as long as they keep winning with Day or whomever. But, why is that the measuring stick as to the only way psu can win? We have been in down to the wire games and have collapsed...hard to quantify that simply with recruiting. And again, there are teams that have made the playoffs that do not recruit at the top level of their respective conferences...Our roster should be good enough every couple yrs to beat an OSU....overcoming sometimes is in the job description.
Like most fans, you don't get it. The other guy tries too. They are out recruiting and out performing PSU. so far they have made the playoffs on a regular basis from our conference. No one else has done it on a regular basis. So Until PSU performs at that level, I don't expect it.
Personally I do not think I will see another PSU National title in my lifetime and I'm 58 btw. We last were undefeated in 1994 and got hosed. Prior to that it was 1986. From 1968-1986 we were competitive like 7 times or so. Since then once, 1994. I don't know where the expectations come from but PSU wasn't in position to win a title since the 1994 .

Like most fans, you don't get it. The other guy tries too. They are out recruiting and out performing PSU. so far they have made the playoffs on a regular basis from our conference. No one else has done it on a regular basis. So Until PSU performs at that level, I don't expect it.
Personally I do not think I will see another PSU National title in my lifetime and I'm 58 btw. We last were undefeated in 1994 and got hosed. Prior to that it was 1986. From 1968-1986 we were competitive like 7 times or so. Since then once, 1994. I don't know where the expectations come from but PSU wasn't in position to win a title since the 1994 .
I get it just fine...and when did I ever say on a regular basis? Only a few programs will do that. How about once every 3 or 4 years? is that not realistic? if not, then there is no need for all of us to be so incensed after losses and be happy with 9-3 or at best, 10-2 and not win another conf title. I just think for our brand and tradition, that shouldn't be the norm. JF makes enough money then to finish 2nd in the division and an occasional NY 6 bowl.

I mean in 05 and 08 they had one loss regular seasons..something JF hasn't done yet.

I get it just fine...and when did I ever say on a regular basis? Only a few programs will do that. How about once every 3 or 4 years? is that not realistic? if not, then there is no need for all of us to be so incensed after losses and be happy with 9-3 or at best, 10-2 and not win another conf title. I just think for our brand and tradition, that shouldn't be the norm. JF makes enough money then to finish 2nd in the division and an occasional NY 6 bowl.
Don't put words in my mouth, I think your average sports fan is an idiot including those here. I love watching the games and hope for wins but I don't get too upset over something I can't control that is my hobby. Most fan groups have unrealistic expectations and an entitlement kind of mentality.
I just watch for fun.

Don't put words in my mouth, I think your average sports fan is an idiot including those here. I love watching the games and hope for wins but I don't get too upset over something I can't control that is my hobby. Most fan groups have unrealistic expectations and an entitlement kind of mentality.
I just watch for fun.
I respect that and CFB is fun and the best regular season. You and I disagree on the unrealistic expectations part which is fine, that's what a board is for.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yes, I agree with your first sentence.
I’m not using last game as my litmus, I’m using a 5-6 years span.
All the games JF has flat out blown in the 4th Q is my problem. With the generational talent he had from 16-18, he should’ve made at least 1 CFP appearance.
My mind will be changed when he stops blowing 4thQ leads, stops being OSUs bitch, and stops eking by B1G cellar-dwellers.
I hope I’m 100% full of excrement, in stating that above paragraph, and would love nothing more to have a giant plate of crow, starting 10/23/21.
I’d love NOTHING more than to have my mind changed, believe me!
WE ARE….
Good reply, thank you.

Reactions: RTRMR
And expectations have to be recalibrated as a season goes on....for every program.

I liken it to UK fans right now. They didn't expect to be 6-0, heading to Athens in a showdown of undefeated SEC teams.

Should they have recalibrated their expectations to playoff or bust?

Should they be disappointed if they lose to UGA?

I'd like to win a title. I'd like to be in the playoff. I'd like to win out the rest of the schedule. I thought this to be a 10-2 with an improved SC (☑️) if he could stay healthy (down at Iowa, uncertain going forward).

If you feel like we need to move on from JF, plainly state so. Every coach has blown a 4th quarter lead. Every coach has road losses. Even Saban, as recent as Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT