ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, but CJF is a perennial 9-3/10-2 coach!

Are you forgetting the 80s…I went to home games for years and never saw a loss…and two straight championship games and 3 in 5 years…plus a 1981, team that was better than all of them. And the greatest CFB offense in college football history in 1994?
They were great in the 80’s….haven’t been since other than a couple of seasons. So why is our current expectation by some on here that we be at a level we haven’t been in over 30 years? One could argue that with the success we had in the 80’s, we should have been better than we were the entire decade and throughout the 90’s and 2000’s. If winning and being “elite” is what it takes to building a dynasty, why did we not do that after 3 championship games in 5 years? And that was when the talent pool in PA was much deeper. If one judges Paterno the same way they judge Franklin, then they’d have to conclude that Paterno was more a failure than a success.

When was the last time that Joe had 11 wins in three out of four years? (or 10 wins, if you adjust for the number of games)
2008, 2009 and 2011 would have been another 11 win top ten team without the shit storm. That’s 3 of Joe’s last 4 years as head coach. I think Franklin is the man for the job. The sport is so competitive today, you can’t just show up with a PSU jersey and expect to win 8 games. Every team in our division including Rutgers is pouring millions of dollars into winning.

Reactions: marshall23
I don’t think that’s true…87-93 comes to mind 95-99 without even looking back too far. If you do count the dark years that’s 95-2011. So one team fits that description (1994) from from 1987-2011. There were good competitive seasons in there but the point stands we were never modern day Alabama and OSU.

I'm sure you're right. Maybe it was something like his '68 recruits thru his '86 recruits.

They were great in the 80’s….haven’t been since other than a couple of seasons. So why is our current expectation by some on here that we be at a level we haven’t been in over 30 years? One could argue that with the success we had in the 80’s, we should have been better than we were the entire decade and throughout the 90’s and 2000’s. If winning and being “elite” is what it takes to building a dynasty, why did we not do that after 3 championship games in 5 years? And that was when the talent pool in PA was much deeper. If one judges Paterno the same way they judge Franklin, then they’d have to conclude that Paterno was more a failure than a success.
We should all fail like Joe…he had a bunch of great teams after that 1980s run…teams that won big games, big bowl games against other blue bloods…went on the road and beat great teams…even teams ranked #1.

This not a diss of Franklin…just reflecting back on glorious past times with teams that would compete (much like we have seen this year)…you beat Joe Paterno Penn State team? You realized you had accomplished something!

We should all fail like Joe…he had a bunch of great teams after that 1980s run…teams that won big games, big bowl games against other blue bloods…went on the road and beat great teams…even teams ranked #1.

This not a diss of Franklin…just reflecting back on glorious past times with teams that would compete (much like we have seen this year)…you beat Joe Paterno Penn State team? You realized you had accomplished something!
Then a lot of teams accomplished something including Toledo. Can you imagine if Franklin lost to a MAC team? I’m not dissing Paterno, I’m just saying there’s a lot of selective memory that goes on here and also a lot of holding Franklin to unrealistic expectations.

There is very little reason that PSU or Michigan could not be on the same level as OSU. It's just a matter of changing the perception so the 5* recruits that are now flocking to OSU are choosing another school first. It wasn't really that long ago that OSU wasn't all that intimidating. Franklin may be able to pull it off. Harbaugh may be able to pull it off, too, but Franklin seems closer.
There are actually alot of reasons why we aren’t on par with tOSU

Reactions: PsuFsuBri36
Then a lot of teams accomplished something including Toledo. Can you imagine if Franklin lost to a MAC team? I’m not dissing Paterno, I’m just saying there’s a lot of selective memory that goes on here and also a lot of holding Franklin to unrealistic expectations.
I can’t speak for everyone. But I have the utmost respect for the job Franklin has done. But he is a galaxy away from the accomplishments that Joe had…

I’m quite sure Paterno would be very pleased with the job Franklin is doing. But he was far more realistic than many of our fans.
He may very well be…I know we could do much worse.

But he has a long way to reach the heights of Paterno Penn State teams. Paterno had done built in advantages (PA used to be a football state and he could pick among tbe best talent of the USA).

The biggest difference is that Paterno team were tough…very tough…they would never give in and were physical to the max. They could take their game into any stadium - including teams that were ranked very highly - and win.

He may very well be…I know we could do much worse.

But he has a long way to reach the heights of Paterno Penn State teams. Paterno had done built in advantages (PA used to be a football state and he could pick among tbe best talent of the USA).

The biggest difference is that Paterno team were tough…very tough…they would never give in and were physical to the max. They could take their game into any stadium - including teams that were ranked very highly - and win.
And they lost a lot as well. They weren’t Nick Saban era Alabama or Urban Meyer era OSU.

At the end of the day, does Franklins best season to date even make the top 5 if you take the top 5 seasons of the Paterno, BOB and CJF years? I say no

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
At the end of the day, does Franklins best season to date even make the top 5 if you take the top 5 seasons of the Paterno, BOB and CJF years? I say no
Of course not. Joe had five undefeated, untied seasons. Neither BOB nor CJF make the top five.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s true…87-93 comes to mind 95-99 without even looking back too far. If you do count the dark years that’s 95-2011. So one team fits that description (1994) from from 1987-2011. There were good competitive seasons in there but the point stands we were never modern day Alabama and OSU.
I heard that in the late 80s and it was true from 68-86

How many of those seasons occurred after scholarship limits and the decline of Pennsylvania as the top recruiting ground in the country? And really BOb’s 2 years? You including the loss to Ohio in there. You’re just a troll

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Bottom line. There are those that are happy with 4-5, 8-5 and a couple of 11-2 seasons every once in a while. Then there are the winners. Who expect Penn State to compete for B1G Championships every year. There honestly should be two boards. One for those that expect Penn State to be a top 10 team year in and year out. And one for those that are happy with 8-5 type seasons.
Here’s what I believe. Coach Franklin is an extension of the University and unless I’m mistaken they have influence over who he recruits. So, if the objective is to produce a perennial powerhouse how much is PSU willing to bend by allowing donors and assistants to land an Eddie Lacy, Derrick Henry, Dexter Lawrence, Carlos Watkins or Christian Wilkins? Please don’t misconstrue what I’m saying here, these are not bad kids, but these elite NFL bound athletes seem to land on the same 4 or 5 college teams year after year. I personally believe that Penn State has the juice to land these athletes but the University has to give Franklin via the AD the green light to do what it takes to get them here. JMHO

Last edited:
And they lost a lot as well. They weren’t Nick Saban era Alabama or Urban Meyer era OSU.
Who said they were?…much more balance back then…but those Paterno teams were competitive at a very high level for over 4 decades…no one had that kind of longevity.

Reactions: RU31trap
I heard that in the late 80s and it was true from 68-86
Here’s what I believe. Coach Franklin is an extension of the University and unless I’m mistaken they have influence over who he recruits. So, if the objective is to produce a perennial powerhouse how much is PSU willing to bend by allowing donors and assistants to land an Eddie Lacy, Derrick Henry, Dexter Lawrence, Carlos Watkins or Christian Wilkins? Please don’t misconstrue what I’m saying here, these are not bad kids, but these elite NFL bound athletes seem to land on the same 4 or 5 college teams year after year. I personally believe that Penn State has the juice to land these athletes but the University has to give Franklin via the AD the green light to do what it takes to get them here. JMHO
This may be a moot point as we may be headed to semi-pro college FB - if we are not already there…

Bottom line. There are those that are happy with 4-5, 8-5 and a couple of 11-2 seasons every once in a while. Then there are the winners. Who expect Penn State to compete for B1G Championships every year. There honestly should be two boards. One for those that expect Penn State to be a top 10 team year in and year out. And one for those that are happy with 8-5 type seasons.

Start feeding the kids tren and ostarine and start funneling Nil money to the 5*s.

Reactions: Lion8286
Who said they were?…much more balance back then…but those Paterno teams were competitive at a very high level for over 4 decades…no one had that kind of longevity.
Balanced? Then why are three of the top five career passers of all time from the short time span that Paterno wasn’t there? They were mostly teams with strong running games and good defenses. This year we’re a strong passing team with a good defense. Obviously Joe had longevity, but I don’t think any program will ever see that again.

To Joe’s credit he always kept us good with some periods of greatness, but some people have revisionist history thinking that we had a championship caliber run for 50 years.
Took an independent school in bum fck PA and made them a household name, 2 National titles and jobbed out of a couple more, I'm more than fine with that revisionist history..

Balanced? Then why are three of the top five career passers of all time from the short time span that Paterno wasn’t there? They were mostly teams with strong running games and good defenses. This year we’re a strong passing team with a good defense. Obviously Joe had longevity, but I don’t think any program will ever see that again.
Fairly certain he is referring to the state of college football being more balanced back then …. IE: parity

Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.
He’ll never make the playoffs.
This program will never make the playoffs with him as coach.

Anyone care to disagree?

Most coaches are. Look at Joe Paterno's yearly W-L record. Only a handful of coaches (Like Saban at AL) are fortunate enough to have the environment, schedule, conference, etc to to perpetually have 0 to 1 loss a season.

2008, 2009 and 2011 would have been another 11 win top ten team without the shit storm. That’s 3 of Joe’s last 4 years as head coach. I think Franklin is the man for the job. The sport is so competitive today, you can’t just show up with a PSU jersey and expect to win 8 games. Every team in our division including Rutgers is pouring millions of dollars into winning.
College football has more parity today. However 10 to 11 wins should be expected with the number of games played. 3 out of conference gimmes and playing in a conference that usually only has 2 to 3 really good teams makes most games winnable. This conference isnt much better then the ACC if at all. One great team a year and everyone else.

For any of you suggesting true freshman CV should have been in game, I’m not diminishing his ability or potential, but am questioning if he’s physically ready to compete in Big 10? I saw him up close walking to team bus after game, and little doubt he’ll benefit from another year in our weight and strength conditioning program.

The team should never have been ranked #4. That is the flaw in your logic. They started at #19 and should not have been in the top 5 yet.
Don't agree for one simple reason...after the top couple of teams, there is a precipitous drop-off, so 3 other teams other than Georgia and Alabama had to be ranked in the top 5.
College football has more parity today.
More parity from rankings 5 through 30, but certainly NOT at the very top of the rankings (Alabama, OSU, sometimes Georgia...and recently Clemson until this year...)

I get it though. It certainly feels like this will be yet another Franklin team that fails to get over the hump into the playoff. Just not sure if this team will ever be “elite” (Franklin’s words). If you are content with ****ing Bonnie Hunt every year, instead of Ava Addams, that’s kinda where we are at.
Just suport a different team and start to follow a different sport; YOU dont get it. Disgusting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT