ADVERTISEMENT

Soooooo.... way too early but....

anyone going to the Va Tech game next year? Just booked hotel near Blacksburg.

Looking for recommendations in the area for before and after the game - eat, drink and general debauchery.

Considering it.
How were the hotel rates? How close is the hotel to B-burg? Thanks.

I'm no help on the debauchery end. Well, as far as anyone knows. Including me. o_O

Looking for recommendations in the area for before and after the game - eat, drink and general debauchery.
Yeah I booked rooms about 25 miles from BBburg already. My youngest is a Jr at VT, me eldest graduated in May from PSU. Will definitely be a split family next September!
Heading down to BBurg in two weeks for the weekend and going to game vs RhodeIsland.
For tailgating we buy a spot from the Blacksburg Lions Club, expensive $60, but right next to the stadium, so convenient for my son's friends to stop by.
If you want a mellow and different vibe there is a cool brewery, Rising Silo, about 2 miles out of town. Lefty's brewery about 1 mile form downtown has good food and drink.
Downtown is somewhat similar to SC, lots of bars and eateries, can just walk and follow the crowds. For debauchery, apparently Top of the stairs(tops) is the place to go, have not yet made it as son isn't 21 till January. The very long lines to get in actually extend onto campus and the viewing for this dirty old man is glorious....

I will be there...My wife is a Hokie...You have to eat at The Hokie House. I would second the notion that VT is very similar to PSU and yes, The Top of the Stairs is a place you need to go.

On the annoying side...during games instead of hearing a lion roar you will hear a castrated Turkey gobble.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Considering it.

I'm no help on the debauchery end. Well, as far as anyone knows. Including me. o_O

I am about 10 miles out - roughly $85-$100 for a mid level (Days Inn) type of hotel. Hotels in town were sold out (I used the hotels.com website). Other options were Roanoke, about 1 hour away. Fair number of available hotels.

Reactions: Bob78
Considering it.

Its about a 6-7 hour drive from Philly area. However, depending on some variables including weather, I might take advantage of the time and make it into a bike trip - great roads near B'burg through SW Va, Tennessee, WV and Kentucky.

Anyone have any information on taking a camper and tailgating that way. Do they have an ORV lot similar to PSU's? If so how do you go about getting a spot. The "Penn State Painters" do one away game a year. Last year we went to Michigan, this year Iowa, and next year VT. I anticipate us taking up to 5-6 campers/motorhomes if it's possible.

Yes. Live in Chesterfield, so I'll be making the drive out and back. My son is a junior at Tech so, it's a big game in our family.

Just booked a couple of rooms at the Days Inn, about $100 a night. Not many left. Saw some nice deals on home rentals on VRBO through the Trivago site.

As far as places to eat and drink.... I like Macadoos. Sandwiches and drinks kind of a place.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Just booked a couple of rooms at the Days Inn, about $100 a night. Not many left. Saw some nice deals on home rentals on VRBO through the Trivago site.
Me too! Day Inn - Christiansburg

WARNING to those at the Days Inn Blacksburg. It is an absolute DUMP, worst I have ever experienced. I was freaked out, and trust me my wife was not happy, two years later she still brings it up. For reasonable and much nicer accommodations it is worth the 30-40 minutes to Salem or Roanoke or Radford areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
WARNING to those at the Days Inn Blacksburg. It is an absolute DUMP, worst I have ever experienced. I was freaked out, and trust me my wife was not happy, two years later she still brings it up. For reasonable and much nicer accommodations it is worth the 30-40 minutes to Sale/ or Roanoke or Radford areas.
YIKES....bed bugs! Seriously, reading this is becoming problem. Happened to me ...once...four yrs ago. It took about two weeks to remove the pests. Luckly they were confined to my bedroom and didn't spread to other rooms. Expensive rooms In King of Prussia. The hotel was ungoing moderate upgrading to the rooms, after checking in. l changed rooms three times before I got one that the electrical, plumbing worked. The first room was trashed with previous nights meals, unmade beds, etc. Service must have skipped that particular room.

Update:
Evidently the quality of service or housekeeping hasn't improved since
I was there four yrs ago..following a few reviews

• I am a frequent traveler and this was probably one of the filthiest hotels I've ever stayed in. Besides our rooms (there were 7 of me and my coworkers) having no windows, mine literally was covered in garbage. Garbage by the nightstand, under the bed (including dead rose petals...gross!) the coffee pot full of old grounds and dripping with coffee. I complained to the front desk who took my name and said that a manager would call me, no call ever came. I was mortified that I actually brought my coworkers to this hotel., you should be embarrassed.
  • So far the bedroom is pretty dirty and the linens are not clean they also did not give us a king size single despite having availability. Bedrooms do not have enough trash receptacles, the hotel room floor was extremely dirty and sticky. Our view was of old air conditioners of the building where we could not utilize our sealed balcony. You This hotel needs an extreme renovation and I don't think I would stay here if they gave me a free vacation. We were on the second floor and if there are events going on in the hotel you will be able to hear the full base of the events on the floors below. The beds felt slept in and divited.

Last edited:
WARNING to those at the Days Inn Blacksburg. It is an absolute DUMP, worst I have ever experienced. I was freaked out, and trust me my wife was not happy, two years later she still brings it up. For reasonable and much nicer accommodations it is worth the 30-40 minutes to Sale/ or Roanoke or Radford areas.

Thanks - cancelled my room and got a room in Radford.

If you’re going to Radford may as well get a room in Roanoke. The Hotel Roanoke is very nice and in walking distance to the bars and restaurants in downtown.

I used to do a lot of work at the Volvo plant in Dublin. Used to stay at the Hampton Inn in Dublin. Was a decent place 10 years ago and not a bad drive to Blacksburg.

Sign me up Ro, I can just crash in the party room

I will most definitely be there.

WARNING to those at the Days Inn Blacksburg. It is an absolute DUMP, worst I have ever experienced. I was freaked out, and trust me my wife was not happy, two years later she still brings it up. For reasonable and much nicer accommodations it is worth the 30-40 minutes to Salem or Roanoke or Radford areas.
Thanks for the info. Dug a little deeper and read some recent reviews on Trip Advisor. Cancelled both rooms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT