ADVERTISEMENT

something to ponder

dunkej01

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
perplexing but maybe is a kickoff to the LMS contest

With 8 returning Champs from last year it's going to be tough for any Freshman to crack through.

If Spencer Lee maybe, if he's a go.

I could see Yianni doing it. 141 is stacked but Yianni is a special talent and Koll will have him ready.

125: Fix can win it if he goes, but I don't think he will; Lee can too, but I don't think he goes either
133: nobody
141: Yianni, Storr, and Red are interesting prospects. I just hope someone dethrones Heil.
149: I'd give a shot to Deakin if Zain weren't here
157: nobody
165: Top 3 guys are too good
174: See above
184: Maybe Max will get some revenge for his brother o_O
197: nobody
285: It would be the greatest upset in wrestling history if a frosh can beat Captain America

All in all, I'll give the top 3 2017 recruits a chance to win if they go this year. I believe only Yianni is expected to compete, so he gets my nod.

7 freshmen in the past 4 years, though only 1 in the 3 years prior. Here's the info, dating back to 2010;

2017 165 - Joseph 174 - Hall
2016 174 - Martin
2015 125 - Tomasello 157 - Martinez
2014 149 - Tsirtsis 197 - Cox
2013 None
2012 133 - Stieber
2011 None
2010 125 - McDonough 141 - Dake (7 Senior Champs this year)

I see no freshmen NC's this year. Those mentioned above (in other posts) have a steep, uphill climb.

Reactions: diggerpup
I would say that it's probably more likely that we do not have a freshman champion, but a single elimination tournament is always going to have variance. There would likely not have been a 2016 freshman champion if Martin had to defeat Butler and Realbuto prior to facing Bo Nickal. However, that is not the world we live in, simply because Martin was able to navigate the field as it broke for him. What guys could conceivably win a title this year?

125 - Spencer Lee and Daton Fix are obvious choices, even if they aren't starting Day 1, they certainly may end up starting. They each become contenders in that scenario.
133 - There does not appear to me to be an obvious national title contender.
141 - Chad Red, Yianni Diakomihalis, Nick Lee and Kanen Storr are all very talented, and could take advantage if the bracket becomes more open. The problem is 141 seems fairly set. Heil is a 2x champion, Jack, Meredith, Eierman, Ashnault and McKenna have all been so good. It's hard to imagine a QF bracket without all or most of these guys. While the talent is here, the opportunity does not appear to be so obvious.
149 - Ryan Deakin is going to be very good imo, but with Zain and Sorensen in this class, it's tough to find a way through for him. Pretty unlikely.
157 - There does not appear to me to be an obvious national title contender.
165 - Joseph, Martinez and Massa are so good that it's hard to imagine any freshman breaking into this class. Marinelli is going to be good but can he compete on this level?
174 - I think Kaleb Young could be really good but Hall and Bo are strong here.
184 - A lot of experience and tis alent here, not really seeing an obvious title contender right now for a freshman.
197 - While Kollin Moore is really good, this class is probably among the most open. The problem is there isn't an obvious freshman to take it's place.
285 - Maybe Sadulaev can wrestle as a true frosh somewhere? That's the only guy who can beat Snyder.

IF Spencer Lee or Daton Fix go this year, and that looks unlikely, I'd lay money on either of them over NATO and they'd be even odds with Suriano.

Just my two cents.

Doesn't Brock have a shirt left? If so, Fix 133 seems to make more sense than 125.

Another thing to ponder, Sam Ponder

january-2015-espn-reporter-samantha-ponder-during-the-college-picture-id579881828

Doesn't Brock have a shirt left? If so, Fix 133 seems to make more sense than 125.
No--remember that Brock got injured at the Scuffle his true FR year and got a medical RS.

Sorry, Roar--you beat me to it.

The Oklahoma State official roster lists Brock as a junior and states that his redshirt was pulled his true Freshmen season. From that I would think that Brock does have a redshirt year available. If true, that is good for PSU, he would only have two years of eligibility left.

The Oklahoma State official roster lists Brock as a junior and states that his redshirt was pulled his true Freshmen season. From that I would think that Brock does have a redshirt year available. If true, that is good for PSU, he would only have two years of eligibility left.
You get 5 years to use your 4 competitive years.
He used a redshirt season as a frosh. Makes no difference if used for medical reasons or other reasons.

If he missed a second season and that lost season was due to injury, then the reason for the first redshirt could be important.

He used a redshirt season as a frosh. Makes no difference if used for medical reasons or other reasons.

If he missed a second season and that lost season was due to injury, then the reason for the first redshirt could be important.
The Oklahoma State website lists both Brock and Joe Smith as Juniors, they list others as redshirt Juniors for example and the website also states that Brocks redshirt was pulled his true freshmen season. Based on that information, I assume that Brock has not used a redshirt even though his freshmen season ended at the Scuffle with a season ending injury. Possibly someone who closely follows Oklahoma State can chime in on Brock's redshirt status. I was under the impression that Brock did redshirt as a freshmen after the injury.

Can't find the article where I distinctly remember the Hardship Waiver was requested and approved. Unless I'm going batty, of course.

Just looked up the criteria, to be sure...
-- happened during a season of competition, check
-- injury happened prior to the start of the 2nd half of the season, check
-- happened before the wrestler competed in more than 30% of scheduled competitions, check

Must meet them all, and he does. Disconnect somewhere, as the ranking agencies have him as a Sophomore, eligibility-wise.

EDIT...here is some evidence...http://www.okstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3065

Last edited:

He did NOT use a redshirt season as a frosh. He wrestled as a true frosh and got hurt at the Scuffle which ended his season early, but that is to late in the season for him to have redshirted so he is a true junior with 2 years of eligibility remaining and can still take a redshirt.

Reactions: androcles
Lyons,
Roar, as usual is correct.
Kaid debuted by pinning Oklahoma's returning national champ Cody Brewer. Shortly after he was injured and was granted a redshirt.
Do not care what the Sooner site says. Kid is officially redshirt sophomore.

Reactions: osu2082
Lyons,
Roar, as usual is correct.
Kaid debuted by pinning Oklahoma's returning national champ Cody Brewer. Shortly after he was injured and was granted a redshirt.
Do not care what the Sooner site says. Kid is officially redshirt sophomore.

Interesting, since he wrestled in the Scuffle, which is after the 1st of the year. PSU was told Anspach couldn't get a medical redshirt (to get a 6th year) because he wrestled in an open tournament in January. Don't remember the specifics, but Dernlan told me that at the VA Duals.

He did NOT use a redshirt season as a frosh. He wrestled as a true frosh and got hurt at the Scuffle which ended his season early, but that is to late in the season for him to have redshirted so he is a true junior with 2 years of eligibility remaining and can still take a redshirt.
Sorry NoVa, that's not how it works (see below). The mid-point of the season happens at or around January 10th.

Also, here's the evidence I was looking for...http://www.okstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3065

12.8.4.3.4.2 Individual Sports. In individual sports, the first-half-of-the-season calculation is
based on the number of days in the season that concludes with the NCAA championship, as declared by the institution, between the first date of competition used by any individual on the team and the last date of competition used by any individual on the team at the end of the declared playing season, including a conference championship and any regular-season competition scheduled after the conference championship (e.g., “last chance” meet). Any break in the declared season shall not be counted (e.g., institutional vacation period in which no practice or competition occurs). The total number of days in the championship season shall be divided by two in order to determine the first half of the season. A fractional portion of a day shall be rounded up to the next whole number.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT