ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rudy movie filming at '92 PSU vs ND game

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
I believe they filmed the final scene or parts of it at this game. When Ned Beatty's character enters the stadium the Blue Band is playing "Hail to the Lion".

Was anyone there in person at this game?

A couple questions:

-Did they film it at halftime or pre game?

- I don't think it was at halftime as the Blue Band would not have played that song as part of their halftime routine. Maybe the film crew told them to play that?

- Maybe they shot it pregame but the stadium was packed and I don't think it would have been that crowded 30 minutes prior to kickoff which is approximately when the Blue Band would have performed pre game.

I just rewatched the movie and was reminded that the Blue Band is in it. By the way, this is one of these mistakes you catch in movies, why would the Penn State fight song be played at a 1975 ND vs Ga Tech game!

I still like the movie despite the miserable end to that '92 ND game!

I believe they filmed the final scene or parts of it at this game. When Ned Beatty's character enters the stadium the Blue Band is playing "Hail to the Lion".

A couple questions:

- I don't think it was at halftime as the Blue Band would not have played that song as part of their halftime routine. Maybe the film crew told them to play that?

- Maybe they shot it pregame but the stadium was packed and I don't think it would have been that crowded 30 minutes prior to kickoff which is approximately when the Blue Band would have performed pre game.

I just rewatched the movie and was reminded that the Blue Band is in it. By the way, this is one of these mistakes you catch in movies, why would the Penn State fight song be played at a 1975 ND vs Ga Tech game!

I was there. I went with my best friend from high school who came from a rabid ND household, and we sat in the end zone where ND completed the two-point conversion to win the game; his brother went there and his nephew actually was on a walk-on qb a few years ago; we went to the same high school as Tom Clements. We also went to the Friday night pep rally in the Joyce Center where Sean Astin actually spoke; we also saw a ND hockey game that night.

Before the game, we went to the ND Alumni Club or whatever it is called, and Dick Vitale was standing right in front of me. Also, as we were walking around the campus, Paul Hornung walked past us.

Other than the outcome of the game, it was a very memorable weekend, made all the more memorable because of the snow, etc. Back in 2010 on our way to Chicago to visit relatives, we stayed overnight in South Bend and visited the ND Bookstore, and they still sell stuff regarding "The Snow Game."

One other reason why I'll always remember that weekend is because on our way home on Sunday, I learned that I had past the Bar Exam.

My wife and I attended the game. We obviously didn't know they were filming Rudy but there were signs at the gate when you entered stating that by entering the stadium you were giving consent that your image could be used blah, blah, blah. A fun day and game. The stadium was a 💩 hole back then prior to the upgrade. The PSU section in the end zone was seats that were more or less 2x6's.

Reactions: Zenophile

A couple questions:

I was there and they announced that they were filming a movie. Most of the filming was before kickoff as I remember it.

What
I was there. I went with my best friend from high school who came from a rabid ND household, and we sat in the end zone where ND completed the two-point conversion to win the game; his brother went there and his nephew actually was on a walk-on qb a few years ago; we went to the same high school as Tom Clements. We also went to the Friday night pep rally in the Joyce Center where Sean Astin actually spoke; we also saw a ND hockey game that night.

Before the game, we went to the ND Alumni Club or whatever it is called, and Dick Vitale was standing right in front of me. Also, as we were walking around the campus, Paul Hornung walked past us.

Other than the outcome of the game, it was a very memorable weekend, made all the more memorable because of the snow, etc. Back in 2010 on our way to Chicago to visit relatives, we stayed overnight in South Bend and visited the ND Bookstore, and they still sell stuff regarding "The Snow Game."

One other reason why I'll always remember that weekend is because on our way home on Sunday, I learned that I had past the Bar Exam.
What an awesome experience bcspsu!

Reactions: brupsu
I was there as a high school senior. I went with the divided family of a high school track buddy (who went on to Nebraska). His dad was Notre Dame. Mom was Penn State. She didn't talk to him the entire drive home. Sure would have loved to have a smart phone. Not a comfortable ride (in an 88 OIds 98) to say the least.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
What
What an awesome experience bcspsu!
Ten years later, my uncle and I were in the end zone at Michigan Stadium where the OT was played between PSU and Michigan. That game was so similar to the 1992 ND game because Michigan tied it late in the fourth quarter and eventually won in OT. Those were two very tough losses.

A couple questions:

Did Big Red happen to remind you of the scene? He is an expert on the flick... : (

Ten years later, my uncle and I were in the end zone at Michigan Stadium where the OT was played between PSU and Michigan. That game was so similar to the 1992 ND game because Michigan tied it late in the fourth quarter and eventually won in OT. Those were two very tough losses.
Do us all a favor...quit going to big away games!

Reactions: bison13 and brupsu
I was there and they announced that they were filming a movie. Most of the filming was before kickoff as I remember it.
I was there with my dad. Went to their pep rally at Joyce on Friday. Tailgated with dad's ND guys on Saturday.

I seem to recall an announcement asking people with neon/bright colored jackets (which were popular at the time)to please step outside the bowl so that they were not visible. Maybe that was during some filming at haltime??

Also they may have asked fans to come again Sunday morning (sans neon clothes) for some more filming 🎥

Our flight back to PHL on Sunday evening was crazy turbulent. A big crew of cops or firemen who were ND Subway alums were shitting themselves. I remember a guy named Chief whining and praying until we landed...all of his buddies were harassing him. He was drunk as hell.

I remember my girlfriend at the time (now wife) was mad about something and we argued over the phone in the hotel afterwards. Then the lousy plane ride. A fitting ending to what would have been a great PSU victory that turned into more Notre Dame lore.

Gotta be there to see the magic happen...we had our chances

• Haha
I was there with my dad. Went to their pep rally at Joyce on Friday. Tailgated with dad's ND guys on Saturday.

I seem to recall an announcement asking people with neon/bright colored jackets (which were popular at the time)to please step outside the bowl so that they were not visible. Maybe that was during some filming at haltime??

Also they may have asked fans to come again Sunday morning (sans neon clothes) for some more filming 🎥
It makes sense that the filming with the Blue Band was done pre game. Not sure why they did not wait until the ND band took the field but there must have been some time constraint. I just am surprised the seats were that full that far in advance of kickoff.

I was there with my father in law, brother in law and a family friend. Remember walking around the stadium before the game and checking the place out (First and probably only visit there) and remember seeing a film crew sitting in a corner. I don't know if it was the director, but there was a guy in a chair looking miserable as sin. My recollections of that weekend were it was cold as hell, (there were constant snow squalls off of lake Michigan ALL weekend). The field would get covered and the Leprechaun would carve out ND on the field in the snow. I remember driving out when we hit Youngstown, OH, we passed a GM plant that seemed to go for miles. My father in law made several trips out for the game and he told me one time he took a friend of his who was a big ND fan. He said he took him on a tour of the campus and they wound up by the grotto where they light candles, looked at him with a straight face, and said "Your standing on Holy ground", He said it took all he had not to laugh in his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile and #1PSU
My wife and I attended the game. We obviously didn't know they were filming Rudy but there were signs at the gate when you entered stating that by entering the stadium you were giving consent that your image could be used blah, blah, blah. A fun day and game. The stadium was a 💩 hole back then prior to the upgrade. The PSU section in the end zone was seats that were more or less 2x6's.
Didn't go to that game, but went to a Notre Dame/Pitt game around the same timeframe, prior to the upgrade...probably 90 or 91. Penn State played early, so after driving in from Chicago, I watched the first half (think they were playing Alabama) at one of the TWO bars near the stadium-not Linebackers. So I went to the stadium a little buzzed and got a ticket from the scalper-wasn't a bad price. Well, anyways the ticket's row I think was 'K' and when the attendee walks me up the aisle directly behind the goalpost and the letter on the last step is 'J', I think I'm screwed. I look at him, and he points to a row of folding chairs behind the last row of bleacher seats. Well Pitt scored early-they had the pretty competent QB who went on to coach in the NFL and I think still is, but after Rocket Ismail returned one, it was all over. I left my 'worst seat at Notre Dame stadium before the first half ended.

I was thinking of going to the 1992 game, on my way between Ohio and Chicago on a business trip, but decided not to at the last minute. Watched it on tv. Looked like a memorable one.

ADVERTISEMENT