ADVERTISEMENT

Some good nuggets from the 247 podcast...

Wondering if David Jones is present today? That'd be an interesting reunion.

Yeah, I guess a head coach leaving the job is enough to allow the conversation to be put "on the record" from off. Just too juicy an opportunity for Jonesey to allow the national media to go through another round of Penn State bashing.

Reactions: Bob78
Finally got around to listening and three things stood out:

1. TE an area of concern - Bowers and Holland banged up, Kuntz has a lot of potential but needs to bulk up a bit and work on blocking, Dalton is basically it right now. Maybe Freiermuth can help out.

2. Love hearing that John Reid is in the mix for punt returns. He was really reliable two years ago.

3. How do we not have anyone at kicker? The one we do have apparently missed five of six kicks in a recent practice.

Reactions: Zircon
Recruiting....Owen Pappoe, 5 star, #1 LB in the country from Georgia taking official visit to Penn State for the Blue White game. His mother went to Penn State.
kWLlj.gif

5 star LB Brandon Smith wraps up a trip when he visited Michigan, ND, Ohio State with two night stay in State College this weekend. Penn State has 4 of his 5 CBs.
I would love to get two 5 star LBs in this class (any/all classes)!

Finally got around to listening and three things stood out:

1. TE an area of concern - Bowers and Holland banged up, Kuntz has a lot of potential but needs to bulk up a bit and work on blocking, Dalton is basically it right now. Maybe Freiermuth can help out.

2. Love hearing that John Reid is in the mix for punt returns. He was really reliable two years ago.

3. How do we not have anyone at kicker? The one we do have apparently missed five of six kicks in a recent practice.

One of the incoming freshman is going to have to do it.
I know, this staff, doesnt like the idea of Blake doing both punting and kicking but if no one else emerges he may have to.

s-l300.jpg
e09_prac_pl4psu_45.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to resize images
The player looks strikingly similar but the pass pro doesn't. Sure there's a difference between today's practice and yesteryear's Nebraska game, but fingers crossed that difference indicates good things for the 2019 OL. Pass pro in the Fiesta Bowl was pleasant to watch. Keep it going boys...

Recruiting....Owen Pappoe, 5 star, #1 LB in the country from Georgia taking official visit to Penn State for the Blue White game. His mother went to Penn State.
kWLlj.gif

5 star LB Brandon Smith wraps up a trip when he visited Michigan, ND, Ohio State with two night stay in State College this weekend. Penn State has 4 of his 5 CBs.

Smith is a Lion...99.999999% sure that he's already informed the coaches of that.

Reactions: bmw199
I think Penn State likes him at Sam or Will. 6'5" Mike is....eh.
More than likely you're right. Definitely LB. I just don't really believe in height restrictions for positions, as long as you're agile enough to handle yourself at the height.

More than likely you're right. Definitely LB. I just don't really believe in height restrictions for positions, as long as you're agile enough to handle yourself at the height.
6-5 would make one assume high center of gravity so run support, while being blocked by a G or T, would be problematic. But each player is different. However, a 6-5 OLB has great "wingspan" for pass coverage and creates a problem for QB's when blitzing (to throw around him). Typically, I like a shorter Mike with some bulk (6-2, 235 type).

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Anyone hear anything about Daniel Joseph? Think there was a rumor a couple weeks ago about an injury. Would like to see how he looks at Blue-White

Where does Parsons wind up in your scenario? I have to think that they are going to have him on the field one way or another.

I think Parsons is going to be 2nd team Will. With defense, they will play 2nd and 3rd string guys every game. Starters on D generally play 50-60% of the snaps.

Koa has made some nice plays blitzing off the edge, but really hasn't made many splash plays otherwise. Parsons will have his chance to get some experience and prove he should be the starter.

I think Parsons is going to be 2nd team Will. With defense, they will play 2nd and 3rd string guys every game. Starters on D generally play 50-60% of the snaps.
2nd yes, I do not expect to see any 3rd string LB reps until games are decided

Do you see him moving up to the first team at some point in the season?

Hard to say. I'm not so worried about him being "a starter". It's not like the OL, where if you aren't a starter you only play at the end of blowouts.

If he's productive, his playing time will increase. Just want to see him get better as the season goes on. Hard to step into a technical position like LB as a true frosh and get down all the calls and reads, etc. Get some experience, show what you can do, and come back as a soph ready to kick ass. Like Lavar did.

I'm thinking:

Sam: Miller
Mike: Brown
Will: Farmer

But probably 50% of the time we'll play with two linebackers and an extra DB.
6-5 Cam Brown at Mike.
Either of those two ideas sounds good for pass plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT