ADVERTISEMENT

Some good info from Franklins presser today

uppermaclion

Sep 6, 2005
REad the highlights on one of the other sites. Good info on the strength program and some improvements there. Biggest news imho, was Spencer turning down a job at a historic school(I think thats what Franklin said, but you get my point) including a big raise. He didn't even tell Franklin. Never heard that before

We'll have to pony up to keep our assistants, but

that's OK if they are doing a good job building up and preparing our guys. No complaints about the defensive line.

Besides, when has our AD ever worried about spending money?

If he didn't tell Franklin then how did Franklin know about it?

Are you saying that Spencer didn't tell Franklin that he was interviewing?

I'm guessing he meant that Spencer didn't tell him...

until after he turned it down. No way he interviewed without Franklin knowing.

Other interesting tidbits:

-Cabinda gained 12 pounds of muscle(he was already a big boy)
- Koa Farmer is still at LB despite roster saying he's at safety
- Johnathan Thomas is going to be limited in the Spring
- Options at LT include, Hall, Palmer, Sorrell, Jenkins(may have named Brosnan too?)
- Excited that we actually have a legit 2 deep at every position(was not the case last year)
- Candidates to replace Hull in the middle include Wartman, Wooten, and Kline
- Guilla will concentrate strictly on kicking(no more punting)
- There will a kicking comp at the beginning of the Blue White game to give the kickers experience kicking under pressure in front of a crowd(cool idea)
- Torrence Brown is currently 3rd team DE but Franklin said that doesn't mean he can't beat out some people in the Spring(Franklin loves his DE depth)
- He said Nassib had a sneaky quiet good year in 2014
- Lucas has a chance to be special at Safety(like young depth at CB)

This post was edited on 3/17 4:16 PM by NJPSU

thanks...I wonder if

CJF held kids out on the o-line (and other places) in 2014 knowing it was his honeymoon year and saving something up for later years? Just thinking about his "two deep" comment on the oline. Most of these kids were on the roster, just red shirting.

Re: thanks...I wonder if

Two deep is an improvement over last season, that's for sure.

Just seeing the improvement in depth at almost every position has me wondering how good this team will be after all the effects of the sanctions are gone!? Just imagine a FULL 85 on the roster with legitimate 2 and 3 player depth around the field.

Unleash the beast!!

Re: thanks...I wonder if

Most redshirt SOPHOMORES are too young to be effective B1G offensive linemen. For sure, redshirt FRESHMEN are too young (but we had to start TWO of them anyway - there was no one else)

Throwing Brosnan, Sorrell, Beh, or Wright out there last year as true freshmen would have been cruel and unusual punishment. Franklin simply did the right thing - for both the team and the individuals - and the best he could do under the circumstances.

As redshirt freshman these guys will have to fill out the 2-deep (again, because we have no one else) and maybe, MAYBE one of them will be able to at least step in and not get completely overwhelmed. (Nelson was able to handle it as a RS FR last year, Mahon, not so much - but he certainly gave it his best shot for the team).

Until we have a two-deep offensive line of 3, 4, and 5th year guys....Hand and the boys are fighting an uphill battle. I expect significant strides this year - but make no mistake it is still gonna' be tough (until AT LEAST 2016).

Re: If he didn't tell Franklin then how did Franklin know about it?

Franklin said he was informed by the other teams coaches lol. So take it for what it is worth. Just a note, wasn't there some speculation that ND was interested in one of our coaches? Huff seemed to be the guy most were thinking. I am wondering if it was Spencer and ND was the school.

This post was edited on 3/17 7:11 PM by uppermaclion

Re: If he didn't tell Franklin then how did Franklin know about it?

I think CJF said he found out from other assistant coaches on OUR staff. And someone on another site said the school was Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT