ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

QBs in the portal are looking to start. That’s why we couldn’t find one when we tried.

Franklin to portal QBs:

“We have really comfortable benches, plus you’ll get housing and three square meals a day. Now let’s see how this bright yellow PSU ball cap looks on you.”

Yep and you know how hard you can get knocked around in tennis LOL fanboys
Range of motion in tennis is greater than throwing a football. That was my point.

So unless taking another hit will endanger his health further (e.g. punctured lung) I think (from a pain perspective) he could move and throw in three weeks (perhaps sooner). But we have no idea what the injury actually is, so all of this is just speculation.

Was just about to pin this tweet to the thread, but unless Fitz is being facetious then yes it is “burn the boats”.
Is “burn the boats” a historic reference to a Sun Tzu and Captain Cortez who burned ships and bridges so troops fight harder or die? Read below…

Sun Tzu in his book “Art of War” taught armies to burn their boats and destroy the bridges behind them as they advanced into new territory. He argued that soldiers without the option of taking flight are more likely to prevail over their objective.
It illustrates to everyone the leader is not retreating, that they will be with the team and will not be seeking a fall-back position or an escape route.
When you ignite the boats you ignite the desire of everyone not just to survive but to succeed. Providing no option other than victory or death, win or perish focuses everyone with one common goal, often against great odds. It extracts every ounce of effort needed for victory.
The ancient Greek soldiers understood the idea. They possessed an unwavering attitude to victory and commitment when Grecian armies landed on their enemy’s shore, the first order the generals gone was to “burn to boats”. They knew the power of motivation and necessity. They didn’t give themselves the opportunity to hesitate, to reflect, to procrastinate, and they didn’t know if they would be victorious. However, they were highly motivated because there was no other course, no other option.
Alexander the Great burned his boats upon arrival on the shores of Persia. By burning his boats, Alexander committed his men to victory over the Persians who greatly outnumbered the Macedonians. Considering what Alexander was feeling, the decision to destroy their only hope of retreat was extraordinary and proved to be a master decision.
In 1519, Spanish Captain, Hernán Cortés landed on the shores of the new world, Mexico, and gave the order to “burn the boats”.
We may not agree with the invaders but the act of burning the ships/boats is as relevant today as it was in ancient times. If ships are left in the harbour, your team will see that you are not fully committed to the battle, project or transformation. If you are the leader not fully committed why should they be? By removing any available path back to the status quo your team will become as fully committed as you are.

Last edited:
How do you operate on bruised ribs?
I coached wrestling with a guy the wrestled with a broken rib. Think he made it to regionals/states that year. That was in the 1960’s when one lose eliminated you from tournament. Don’t ask me how he did it.

The x-ray tech made the diagnosis and sent the report to the doctor? Where did this happen? X-ray techs are not permitted to interpret x-rays or issue reports every state I have lived in. This is way beyond the scope of practice of an x-ray technologist. It would be illegal because they are not licensed to do this.
When Ryan Keister played safety for us in 2014 he broke a rib in practice. They took him to Mt Nittany for x-rays and evaluation. Within 12 hours Ryan was fighting for his life in Hershey. The rib punctured an organ. He’s lucky to be alive. Nearly died from sepsis. When I say nearly, I mean it was 50/50 at best he’d make it.

Edit: The doctors diagnosed the broken rib but didn’t realize the rib punctured an organ. I know the family very well. Ryan spent months in Hershey.

Last edited:
Is “burn the boats” is historic reference to a Sun Tzu and Captain Cortez who burned ships and bridges so troops fight harder or die? Read below…

Sun Tzu in his book “Art of War” taught armies to burn their boats and destroy the bridges behind them as they advanced into new territory. He argued that soldiers without the option of taking flight are more likely to prevail over their objective.
It illustrates to everyone the leader is not retreating, that they will be with the team and will not be seeking a fall-back position or an escape route.
When you ignite the boats you ignite the desire of everyone not just to survive but to succeed. Providing no option other than victory or death, win or perish focuses everyone with one common goal, often against great odds. It extracts every ounce of effort needed for victory.
The ancient Greek soldiers understood the idea. They possessed an unwavering attitude to victory and commitment when Grecian armies landed on their enemy’s shore, the first order the generals gone was to “burn to boats”. They knew the power of motivation and necessity. They didn’t give themselves the opportunity to hesitate, to reflect, to procrastinate, and they didn’t know if they

would be victorious. However, they were highly motivated because there was no other course, no other option.
Alexander the Great burned his boats upon arrival on the shores of Persia. By burning his boats, Alexander committed his men to victory over the Persians who greatly outnumbered the Macedonians. Considering what Alexander was feeling, the decision to destroy their only hope of retreat was extraordinary and proved to be a master decision.
In 1519, Spanish Captain, Hernán Cortés landed on the shores of the new world, Mexico, and gave the order to “burn the boats”.
We may not agree with the invaders but the act of burning the ships/boats is as relevant today as it was in ancient times. If ships are left in the harbour, your team will see that you are not fully committed to the battle, project or transformation. If you are the leader not fully committed why should they be? By removing any available path back to the status quo your team will become as fully committed as you are.
Sounds so noble and courageous. However, with that scheme, you fight many battles until the single one you lose. Then you lose everything and it’s over.

Vs fight and retreat when necessary. Pull back and learn better tactics, develop improved weapons. Train troops or develop better officer corps. Move to an improved position. Wait for reinforcements. Withdraw and attack from a different direction. Make repeated attacks to wear down enemy.

Sounds so noble and courageous. However, with that scheme, you fight many battles until the single one you lose. Then you lose everything and it’s over.

Vs fight and retreat when necessary. Pull back and learn better tactics, develop improved weapons. Train troops or develop better officer corps. Move to an improved position. Wait for reinforcements. Withdraw and attack from a different direction. Make repeated attacks to wear down enemy.
Way to take this from how it relates to football to what a bad military strategy it might be. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow99
I just gave an alternative position on a previous post. I will retreat now and re-evaluate my tactics.
I wasn’t knocking your response. I was laughing at how quickly conversations turn. Modern military strategy always (almost always) includes a fallback position. So you weren’t wrong.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I wasn’t knocking your response. I was laughing at how quickly conversations turn. Modern military strategy always (almost always) includes a fallback position. So you weren’t wrong.
well, not having a fallback position was a disaster for hitler on the eastern front while it worked great for the russkies.

Reactions: helixville
Ok, back to football. How do we ‘burn the ships’? Tell players they lose the game and they lose their scholarships? Take them out and shoot them? Or be nice and just bench all the starters?

I am just having fun. I know the purpose of the earlier post was to show how critical motivation is to achieving victory. All sports, especially football, is a result of confidence and momentum. One the great things is to see a game turn on a dime when momentum suddenly changes uniforms. Think the Wisky-PSU title game.

Of course, I won’t mention games when the wheels fell off the Penn State chariot.........😢

Ok, back to football. How do we ‘burn the ships’? Tell players they lose the game and they lose their scholarships? Take them out and shoot them? Or be nice and just bench all the starters?

I am just having fun. I know the purpose of the earlier post was to show how critical motivation is to achieving victory. All sports, especially football, is a result of confidence and momentum. One the great things is to see a game turn on a dime when momentum suddenly changes uniforms. Think the Wisky-PSU title game.

Of course, I won’t mention games when the wheels fell off the Penn State chariot.........😢
I thought we already burned Will Fries' SHIP

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
if it turns out that Cliff is in pain but still plays and guts it out and then he balls out and beats Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State and crushes Iowa in the B1G title game leading us to our first playoff spot

well then, wouldn't that just be legendary?

Another non-blue check making predictions.. I will wait until an official word. If he was ok, we would know by now. I am thinking he is going to go get re-evaluated, see if surgery cab he put off (if he needs it), and go from there. May be a week to week thing for us. I doubt CJF will say anything until it's 100% known if he is coming back or gone for the year.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
FWIW:

Source - Franklin has some team unity issues to address this week. Some on the team miffed Clifford didn't try to play through whatever pain he was having.

Me - isn't the decision to play at that point in the hands of medical staff?

Source - I'm just telling you what was relayed first hand to me.

If he was ok, we would know by now.
Are you new around here? There's no way Franklin would tip his hand. We won't know until Clifford walks out on the field. If it's season ending then he would divulge that at some point, but who knows when. My guess is he would keep that under wraps until after the OSU game.

FWIW:

Source - Franklin has some team unity issues to address this week. Some on the team miffed Clifford didn't try to play through whatever pain he was having.

I'm never one to believe unnamed sources (and don't take this wrong way but I don't recognize your username). But knowing what a competitor Sean is, I have a have time believing that a) it was his decision not to play and b) his teammates know what a competitor he is

I'm never one to believe unnamed sources (and don't take this wrong way but I don't recognize your username). But knowing what a competitor Sean is, I have a have time believing that a) it was his decision not to play and b) his teammates know what a competitor he is
Also, coming from a guy with 80 messages in 18 years

FWIW:

The kid who finished his high school career leading his team to a state title with a torn labrum wouldn’t play through pain against Iowa? I’m skeptical.

Wild predictions time: if Clifford is cleared to play against Illinois but dinged up, do you:

(a) start Robinson and let him rest. Maybe use Sean only if we really need him like we are behind and need a comeback
(b) start Clifford until the game is in hand and then play Robinson for the duration
(c) just business and use Clifford as much as you would have prior to Iowa

Wild predictions time: if Clifford is cleared to play against Illinois but dinged up, do you:

(a) start Robinson and let him rest. Maybe use Sean only if we really need him like we are behind and need a comeback
(b) start Clifford until the game is in hand and then play Robinson for the duration
Define ‘dinged up’.

FWIW:

We have seen Sean for a few years and his attitude reminds me of another PSU Sean in terms of playing - - Sean Lee.
I absolutely do not believe Clifford would sit out if there was any way he could have played.

Sean Clifford led his HS team, Cincy St. Xavier, to the Ohio High School championship over Cleveland St. Ignatius with a dislocated left shoulder. These two schools are probably 1 & 2 for traditional HS powerhouses in Ohio (add Moeller and CLE St Eds). If got a good friend who is very tied to both the NFL and NBA. He saw it and told me it was one of the most courageous high school performances he's ever seen. He was removed from the game twice and went back in. They won in overtime. He went to high school at Youngstown Cardinal Moody and knows all of the Stoops and Pelini's.

I told this story before...when his son played Jr. High the coach had them playing a 6-2 defense. He approached the coach questioning the 6-2 methodology. When they couldn't come to an agreement, he called Pelini and Charles Woodsen on a conf call to talk with the coach. Lest anyone be confused, he was joking with the coach as they are old friends.

Last edited:

Say he’s likely out for the year, play Roberson against Illinois, then start Clifford against OSU without telling anyone.

FWIW:

Right. Ask Gronk what happens when you try to play with broken ribs. Tough guy went back into the game and found out he had a punctured lung after the game and he's been out for weeks. Luckily it wasn't worse.

Sean Clifford led his HS team, Cincy St. Xavier, to the Ohio High School championship over Cleveland St. Ignatius with a dislocated left shoulder. These two schools are probably 1 & 2 for traditional HS powerhouses in Ohio (add Moeller and CLE St Eds). If got a good friend who is very tied to both the NFL and NBA. He saw it and told me it was one of the most courageous high school performances he's ever seen. He was removed from the game twice and went back in. They won in overtime. He went to high school at Youngstown Cardinal Moody and knows all of the Stoops and Pelini's.
Was he booed for leaving the game and then returning??? I kid,I kid

Who's Robinson? Is he related to Keister?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT