ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

"Have you ever heard the expression “burn the boats”? It comes from 1519 during the Spanish conquest of Mexico, when Hernán Cortés the Spanish commander, scuttled his ships so that his men would have to conquer or die. Basically, he created a point of no return for himself and his men."

That clears up the boat story but how does that relate to Clifford?

I just went back and watched the play in question, from the Fox feed of course. In slow motion and paused through the entire replay....Clifford doesn't flinch from the hit. The video then cuts off so you can't see any flinch after he hits the ground either.

That clears up the boat story but how does that relate to Clifford?
He is saying he’s sticking it out with his teammates and not looking back for the rest of the season. He’s not taking the easy way out, which would be to get season ending surgery and heal up for next season or choose to go to the NFL draft. I’m thinking the injury is severely bruised ribs that require surgery, but he’s going to play through the pain and wait to have the surgery until the season is over. In essence, he’s going to play through the pain and never look back.

Can we beat Illinois without a passing game and without a running game?
Not worried about ILLini. Our defense is sick, we can win with that game plan. Rest of the year without Clifford, obviously bets are off.

Hate that we are all analyzing a 20-something's social media post but here goes...
  1. He's talking in the past tense
  2. Emphasis on memories (once again, looking backward)
  3. "Time to create more memories" is something you say when you graduate or get married--i.e. moving on
  4. If it's something like "Back to Business," then just say that or say looking to battling back for this season.
Sounds pretty definitively like he's out for the remainder of the season.
According to the millennials in my family (daughter and son) BTB in texting means “Back to Business”.

According to the millennials in my family (daughter and son) BTB in texting means “Back to Business”.
Yup, got that. That could be a message to the team to get back to business and not worry about him--which would fit with rest of the message. It could be about himself and the team.

I guess this is a mystery which will be resolved with time.

Reactions: step.eng69
Why in the world, if he was out for the season, would he post a vague message like that? My guess is he would be too upset to post anything and Franklin probably wouldn’t want him posting anything to tip their hand. He’s playing with folks and I don’t think he would do that if he was done for the year.

He is saying he’s sticking it out with his teammates and not looking back for the rest of the season. He’s not taking the easy way out, which would be to get season ending surgery and heal up for next season or choose to go to the NFL draft. I’m thinking the injury is severely bruised ribs that require surgery, but he’s going to play through the pain and wait to have the surgery until the season is over. In essence, he’s going to play through the pain and never look back.
How do you operate on bruised ribs?

Reactions: Lion8286
Why in the world, if he was out for the season, would he post a vague message like that? My guess is he would be too upset to post anything and Franklin probably wouldn’t want him posting anything to tip their hand. He’s playing with folks and I don’t think he would do that if he was done for the year.
I 100% agree with this take.

If/when they know if SC is done for the year, I expect JF to come out and state it. He has done that consistently with every injury that ends a season. Also, every team would prepare for SC if there was doubt, and they don't even need to prepare for TR - no threat. No need to play cat and mouse.

I just went back and watched the play in question, from the Fox feed of course. In slow motion and paused through the entire replay....Clifford doesn't flinch from the hit. The video then cuts off so you can't see any flinch after he hits the ground either.
Just another Penn State player faking an injury, I guess. And he'll miss as many games as it takes to carry out this ruse. Just ask anyone from Iowa. They'll set you straight. By the way, did anyone mention the on the field postgame interview with Ferentz. He praised his defense for knocking Clifford out of the game. Then he throws in this obviously disingenuous "I hope he's OK" comment. What a phony.

Focus on what Rasheed Wallace said. Clifford will be back, play Roberson vs Illinois and get ready for Ohio State. I am suspicious that Cliff may have been able to come back and play the second half but it was a decision to play it safe with him and
with a bye week coming up and next game vs Illinois, no need to put him in more physical danger. I bet Franklin felt our D would win us the game but they underestimated how inept the offense became with Roberson in and the extremely poor field position we had. Two blown plays by the D is what also added to that possible decision’s demise. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Illinois is 2 - 5 having lost to Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Virginia (an ACC cupcake), and UTSA (whoever that is). Illinois is a gimme game and it doesn't matter who the QB is. Take any random person on our roster, put him at QB, and we win easily.

so we would beat Illinois if that Martinez kid from Nebraska was our QB.

Passing new information along.....
FWIW
I was incorrect in my original post about the extent of Sean's condition. It was Olivia's uncle, who in supposedly close to, and spoke with, (you can fill in here) and was told at Iowa it looked like a few fractured ribs. Then filtered down to us. Sometimes these large donors have access to information that we street people don't

You can Take this with a grain of salt because you don't know where I'm getting info & I'm not mentioning ......
Ribs not fractured or broken, then I would assume bruise of surrounding muscle and cartledge of areas of rib cage.
From what I understand, the prognosis of Sean returning this season and when is very good.
I guess OSU will have to prepare for two different types of QB play.

O.K. 5,4,3,2,....& 1 let the HIPPA start

Last edited:
Never heard of surgery for bruised ribs, or for any type of bone contusion for that matter. Perhaps you can enlighten us what you would be surgically repairing.

FWIW
I was incorrect in my original post about the extent of Sean's condition. It was Olivia's uncle, who in supposedly close to, and spoke with, (you can fill in here) and was told at Iowa it looked like a few fractured ribs. Then filtered down to us. Sometimes these large donors have access to information that we street people don't

You can Take this with a grain of salt because you don't know where I'm getting info & I'm not mentioning ......
Ribs not fractured or broken, then I would assume bruise of surrounding muscle and cartledge of areas of rib cage.
From what I understand, the prognosis of Sean returning this season and when is very good.

O.K. 5,4,3,2,....& 1 let the bashing start

was not bashing, Sorry if it came off that way, I like to make jokes. some times I only amuse myself. You can ask my proctologist. He says I'm a perfect asshole!!!

FWIW

Let's hope your sources are correct

Paydirt Podcast with McGloin made a comment about that type of hit. He mentioned deep bruises and potentially even a torn/strained shoulder muscle. He said you can't throw properly when you are hurt like that.

Kinda fits in with what you have been told.

Good night McAndrew siblings, started watching Lansky last evening.

Good flick, not much action but dialogue is excellent. On the first interview from the biographer, Lansky told John in resturant to switch seats with him. My father in law (Pop) explained that tradition years ago when we were sitting in Aldino's Resturant owned by his friend McGee.

All pro sports, as well as the NCAA, should thank God every day we have sports betting here... We have the only agency in the world that regulates the honesty of games.
Meyer Lansky

All you have to do is recognize an opportunity.
Meyer Lansky

All you have to do is recognize an opportunity.
Meyer Lansky

Don't worry,don't worry.Look at the Astors and the Vanderbilts,all those big society people.They were the worst thieves-and now look at them.It's just a matter of time.
Meyer Lansky

Last edited:
We’ll know tomorrow, right? Does Franklin have a Tuesday press conference before a bye week? If Cliff is done, CJF will let us know that.

I believe that there will not be a Franklin PC this week, as there is no game this upcoming weekend. Doubt there will be a Wed post practice Q&A either.

It may be next Tue before any info is made public by Franklin........

FWIW

Thanks Step. Im the guy who told you to say hi to Mr Nassib when his boys were playing from some peeps he used to work with (me). lol. Appreciate the info.

Reactions: step.eng69
FWIW

Let me first say that my personal experience with a QB with" broken ribs" goes back 30 years....so I'm sure medical technology has advanced but here it goes:
I had a senior QB sent to the ER with a rib injury. The xray tech diagnosed the results as fractured ribs and sent the report to our team doctor. Out for the season.
Many tears from the young man as you can imagine.
At half time of the next game, as I returned to the field, I was amazed to see my disabled qb tossing the ball 40yards to a manager. As a player, I experienced bruised ribs, and this scene made me question the fractured rib diagnosis. I was able to get a telephone conference with one of the best orthopedic physicians and he was kind enough to see my QB early the next week. He explained to me that some rib fractures are difficult to diagnose with xray and he was a firm believer in manual (pressing on the ribs) manipulation.
AFter examining my QB he determined that the ribs were bruised and cleared the young man to play.
The QB had considerable discomfort at times but was thrilled to have the opportunity to return and finish his senior season. Let's hope the ribs are bruised or hairline fractures and Cliff is back in 3 weeks.

I think we're pretty good, i would never go out on a limb and provide speculated material.
I don't care to denounced as a heel.

"I would never go out on a limb and provide speculated material", you say. NOT TRUE! I seem to recall you vouching for FAIRGAMBIT WORLDWISE ENTERPRISES being a top of the line vendor. I believed you. Now my wife and friends laugh at how I dress.

Just another Penn State player faking an injury, I guess. And he'll miss as many games as it takes to carry out this ruse. Just ask anyone from Iowa. They'll set you straight. By the way, did anyone mention the on the field postgame interview with Ferentz. He praised his defense for knocking Clifford out of the game. Then he throws in this obviously disingenuous "I hope he's OK" comment. What a phony.
He may get surgery just to carry the ruse a little further…after all, we do anything we have to just to slow down that juggernaut of an offense Iowa has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT