ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

Have you guys ever made a post in the heat of the moment, out of frustration, that you wish you could take back?

I shouldn't have questioned Clifford's toughness. I know if he could be out there he would. I was frustrated by the fact that it didn't look like anything significant on the surface, we collapsed on Offense without him and we don't know the nature or severity of the injury.

I'm gonna fall back and watch my Birds gets crushed by Carolina now.
Just learn from it....

HIPPA prevents the release of private health information. CJF has no choice. I don’t know why people don’t understand that.

Ahhh, no. HIPPA prevents the release of private health information without the individual's consent. Sure HIPPA can be an issue but CJF is coy with the medical info to keep the other team guessing. Why should he tell our opponents when Cliff is going to be back??? Force them to develop 2 game plans.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
HIPPA (sic) prevents the release of private health information. CJF has no choice. I don’t know why people don’t understand that.
I’m pretty sure that pro and college players sign waivers that allow their respective teams to disclose football related injuries without repercussions from HIPAA.

Reactions: BrucePa
Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.

Please--take your likes away, the only thing I like about this is Sean can recover from his injury.

High impact football three weeks after a rib fracture? Those things that protect major organs? Football must be essential to life.

Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.

Please--take your likes away, the only thing I like about this is Sean can recover from his injury.
NO WAY! That’s a major HIPAA violation.

Reactions: BrucePa
High impact football three weeks after a rib fracture? Those things that protect major organs? Football must be essential to life.
Guess it's possible Knight....

"However, Brees missed four games in 2020 with 11 broken ribs and a punctured lung. He broke the first eight during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a game in which he finished. Brees then actually played the following week against the San Francisco 49ers but broke three more on the other side during that game and then also punctured his lung. He ultimately finished that half against the 49ers but missed the second half and the next four games."

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I’m pretty sure that pro and college players sign waivers that allow their respective teams to disclose football related injuries without repercussions from HIPAA.

that would imply an employer can require an employee to give up HIPAA protections as a condition of employment. Not sure that would fly, at least with regards to exposing it to the public.

Ahhh, no. HIPPA prevents the release of private health information without the individual's consent. Sure HIPPA can be an issue but CJF is coy with the medical info to keep the other team guessing. Why should he tell our opponents when Cliff is going to be back??? Force them to develop 2 game plans.
Clifford could say it’s ok to say something then Franklin as a coach could say don’t say anything .

Reactions: GregInPitt
Have you guys ever made a post in the heat of the moment, out of frustration, that you wish you could take back?

I shouldn't have questioned Clifford's toughness. I know if he could be out there he would. I was frustrated by the fact that it didn't look like anything significant on the surface, we collapsed on Offense without him and we don't know the nature or severity of the injury.

I'm gonna fall back and watch my Birds gets crushed by Carolina now.

Probably can play in 3 weeks, but I doubt it would be pain free in that span (especially if he gets hit). Cliff is a tough SOB if he pulls it off.

Makes a lot of sense as that was the word (fractured ribs) going around on the message boards late last night and early this morning. Just shows how valuable Clifford is to PSU
We need QB depth like O$U. I would take 1/2 of that. O$U has four (4) QBs on their roster - all of which are probably better than Cliff (and I am a Cliff fan). O$U can probably beat anyone in the country with their 3rd string. Can you imagine if Velliuex would have had to play?

How do the fighting acorns do it Bucknut72? How do they keep such a loaded QB room happy?

OSU's O-Zone, I believe the Iowa Rivals site, and one of the Michigan boards (MGo Blog ?) All of it was guesswork based on the hit and how Clifford was acting on the sideline. I saw it first on the O-Zone. A couple also mentioned a collarbone separation but it was ruled out quickly
So people on other messages boards are also wildly speculating. Cool.

So people on other messages boards are also wildly speculating. Cool.
That was a HUGE loss - especially on the other B1G sites. I would imagine that several boards had posters speculating - I just listed the ones I viewed yesterday that thought it was his ribs. Just part of college message boards. Can't remember the last time I saw that big of drop off when a backup QB replaced the starter. Heck, considering what happened, Clifford might be the MVP (to his team) of the B1G

We need QB depth like O$U. I would take 1/2 of that. O$U has four (4) QBs on their roster - all of which are probably better than Cliff (and I am a Cliff fan). O$U can probably beat anyone in the country with their 3rd string. Can you imagine if Velliuex would have had to play?

How do the fighting acorns do it Bucknut72? How do they keep such a loaded QB room happy?
Bucknut72 ? :) They won't - expect a transfer or two after this year. But the problem is that many of the top HS QBs want to play for Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Alabama and Georgia. Those explosive offenses are really inviting to the top HS QBs in the country.

The QB talent that Lincoln Riley puts together - year after year is unreal. We're talking Heisman winners and yesterday was mind-boggling when their backup came in and benched Rattler - the preseason Heisman favorite

Reactions: Big10domination
NO WAY! That’s a major HIPAA violation.
Not a HIPAA violation. Yes, that's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

When a baseball pitcher needs Tommy John surgery, or a running back needs his ACL repaired, it's perfectly fine to release that information. What you can't do is release his name, address, social security number, entire medical history, prescriptions that he's taking, and mother's maiden name, more or less.

Bucknut72 ? :) They won't - expect a transfer or two after this year. But the problem is that many of the top HS QBs want to play for Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Alabama and Georgia. Those explosive offenses are really inviting to the top HS QBs in the country.

The QB talent that Lincoln Riley puts together - year after year is unreal. We're talking Heisman winners and yesterday was mind-boggling when their backup came in and benched Rattler - the preseason Heisman favorite
Agree with you Bucknut72…but only Bama and O$U put together a complete team. Oklahoma’s is a non-starter.

What is the insight on your Acorns having four 4/5 star QBs on tbe roster. Why no portal transfer out? Only 1/2 can play - not 4. Is the $ that good (I guess they are already paying the high school kid 7 figures)….I guess that would convince me to stay. Heck, he could retire from football now and never take a snap.

Agree with you Bucknut72…but only Bama and O$U put together a complete team. Oklahoma’s is a non-starter.

What is the insight on your Acorns having four 4/5 star QBs on tbe roster. Why no portal transfer out? Only 1/2 can play - not 4. Is the $ that good (I guess they are already paying the high school kid 7 figures)….I guess that would convince me to stay. Heck, he could retire from football now and never take a snap.
There will be transfers out - just a matter of time. Isn't McCord from PA ? Maybe a possible PSU portal transfer in after this year ? OSU's been on TV a few times this year and that Jack Miller can also spin the ball. Miller is the the most likely portal transfer at this point. I believe he's from the West Coast.

To be quite honest, that much publicized no. 1 Ewers from Texas might not see the field for awhile. Maybe another portal candidate ?

I'm leaving the thread/post up because I'm gonna own what I said. Truth is nobody knows what type of injury Clifford has and I know I'm not alone in thinking that a) the hit didn't look that bad. b) Clifford didn't look like a guy that wouldn't return when going to the locker room and c) he didn't have any obvious signs of a serious injury while on the sideline in the 2nd half.

I'm frustrated by the loss because we would have blown them out if Clifford hadn't gotten hurt. I'm also frustrated by not knowing what caused Clifford to leave the game.
Terrible take again Bear but yeah leave it up. It only validates what we already know.

Reactions: step.eng69
There will be transfers out - just a matter of time. Isn't McCord from PA ? Maybe a possible PSU portal transfer in after this year ? OSU's been on TV a few times this year and that Jack Miller can also spin the ball. Miller is the the most likely portal transfer at this point. I believe he's from the West Coast.

To be quite honest, that much publicized no. 1 Ewers from Texas might not see the field for awhile. Maybe another portal candidate ?
Seems like some likely scenarios.

Aren’t at least two of them freshmen? So they come in thinking they’re going to be the big, swinging dick and find out they’re going to be #3 or #4 on the depth chart….they’ll transfer, they just haven’t done it yet.

Aren’t at least two of them freshmen? So they come in thinking they’re going to be the big, swinging dick and find out they’re going to be #3 or #4 on the depth chart….they’ll transfer, they just haven’t done it yet.
2 are true freshmen, 2 are redshirt freshmen. That's the problem for a couple of them - they'll all be around for awhile if they choose to stay. Question; did Franklin actively recruit McCord (Pa.) hard in his senior year ?

Reactions: tlbakernc
2 are true freshmen, 2 are redshirt freshmen. That's the problem for a couple of them - they'll all be around for awhile if they choose to stay. Question; did Franklin actively recruit McCord (Pa.) hard in his senior year ?
I believe we recruited McCord. We have a terrible track record at St. Joseph’s Prep…..

Reactions: tlbakernc
I believe we recruited McCord. We have a terrible track record at St. Joseph’s Prep…..
This thread is now focusing on help from the transfer portal. Have any of you seen Drew Allar from Medina Ohio play? 6' 5" 220# and really lighting it up. Strong and accurate arm. I know he will be fresh out of H.S. but he is graduating early and enrolling at PSU this winter. I watched him against powerhouse Mentor where he ran for 1 td and threw for 4 td's. He is the real deal

Reactions: fkkkjm
This thread is now focusing on help from the transfer portal. Have any of you seen Drew Allar from Medina Ohio play? 6' 5" 220# and really lighting it up. Strong and accurate arm. I know he will be fresh out of H.S. but he is graduating early and enrolling at PSU this winter. I watched him against powerhouse Mentor where he ran for 1 td and threw for 4 td's. He is the real deal
I watched him….he’s the real deal. And guys like that, with all the football they’ve played, can play as freshmen and be productive. The days of sitting for three years before you’re ready are over.

Reactions: bison13
I think it's more about establishing depth at QB which - we saw yesterday - is lacking. Allar could end up being a very good CF QB but - like you mentioned - is just a HS senior at this point.

During the first half of the Indiana game, he was dinged up on a 3rd and 1 QB draw. Before the next offensive series, he spent the whole 4 minute TV timeout running/throwing on the sideline trying to get himself right.

Was that the play where he got drilled pretty hard in the ribs right at the sideline? Or a different play? I remember thinking "what a tough dude" when he got drilled and jogged right back to the huddle like nothing happened.

Here’s what I think and I may be wrong. Since the tackle was textbook, clean and on the soft side, Clifford may have come into the Iowa game with an injury from a previous game.
This seems like the most likely explanation to me. Previous rib problem that was reaggravated. Definitely not seeing how it could have happened on that play.

Clifford could say it’s ok to say something then Franklin as a coach could say don’t say anything .

Does anyone know if HIPAA even applies to college football? The students are not employees.

If my buddy mentions that he's got broken ribs I can tell anyone I'd like to tell about it. If my employee mentions that he's got broken ribs I have to STFU.

For the sake of HIPAA are student athletes "employees"?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Guess it's possible Knight....

"However, Brees missed four games in 2020 with 11 broken ribs and a punctured lung. He broke the first eight during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a game in which he finished. Brees then actually played the following week against the San Francisco 49ers but broke three more on the other side during that game and then also punctured his lung. He ultimately finished that half against the 49ers but missed the second half and the next four games."

OK, I concede that we are actually watching some sort of team gladiator fight. Glad I chose golf instead of football.

Does anyone know if HIPAA even applies to college football? The students are not employees.

If my buddy mentions that he's got broken ribs I can tell anyone I'd like to tell about it. If my employee mentions that he's got broken ribs I have to STFU.

For the sake of HIPAA are student athletes "employees"?
Franklin might have orders to keep your mouth shut for players but they have the legal right to talk about it. It’s probably his rule. The doc couldn’t tell anyone without the players consent, however the coaches will have the right to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT