ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

Franklin might have orders to keep your mouth shut for players but they have the legal right to talk about it. It’s probably his rule. The doc couldn’t tell anyone without the players consent, however the coaches will have the right to know.
I mean the players would have to consent for the coaches to be informed and that would be mandatory or you’re not on the team. That’s no loss of privacy because you want the staff to know your health status ,

that would imply an employer can require an employee to give up HIPAA protections as a condition of employment. Not sure that would fly, at least with regards to exposing it to the public.

Hell my old employer is mandating the Covid vaccine as "terms of employment". if you can force that on a person, HIPPA is nothing. You need the vaccine by the end of the year face termination. You now what to disclose if you have been vaccinate or not by Oct 15th, which is a direct violation of HIPPA.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Does anyone know if HIPAA even applies to college football? The students are not employees.

If my buddy mentions that he's got broken ribs I can tell anyone I'd like to tell about it. If my employee mentions that he's got broken ribs I have to STFU.

For the sake of HIPAA are student athletes "employees"?

it covers health care providers which, I assume, Penn State is in this case. If information is shared, there has to be a valid reason, like a provider sharing info with the patient’s insurance company. Even then, they can’t share it with the media or public, not without consent.

I would expect Franklin to be vague about the nature, only stating how long. If it becomes public, it most likely will come from Clifford or his family sharing info.

it covers health care providers which, I assume, Penn State is in this case. If information is shared, there has to be a valid reason, like a provider sharing info with the patient’s insurance company. Even then, they can’t share it with the media or public, not without consent.

I would expect Franklin to be vague about the nature, only stating how long. If it becomes public, it most likely will come from Clifford or his family sharing info.
Lein, how does the NFL circumvent these laws when they provide an injury report each week?

Hell my old employer is mandating the Covid vaccine as "terms of employment". if you can force that on a person, HIPPA is nothing. You need the vaccine by the end of the year face termination. You now what to disclose if you have been vaccinate or not by Oct 15th, which is a direct violation of HIPPA.
You clearly don't understand HIPPA.

The following is from https://protonmail.com/blog/hipaa-compliance/

Entities that must be HIPAA compliant

As a rule, any person or entity that has access to patients’ medical data must be HIPAA compliant. These entities are defined by HIPAA as:

• Covered entities — any person or organization that has access to PHI. This includes healthcare providers, doctors, healthcare staff, pharmacies, healthcare clearinghouses, insurance companies, dentists, clinics, and nursing homes.
  • Business associates — any person or organization that performs a service or other activity for a covered entity that gives it access to PHI. This includes email providers, cloud storage providers, physical storage providers, billing and finance companies, lawyers, accountants, third-party consultants, and Electronic Health Record (EHR) platforms.
In short, any business or any individual acting in a professional capacity that has any contact with the healthcare industry must be HIPAA compliant.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reading this it sounds like employers and such are not covered as they are not in the provider domain. But I would think most try to be compliant to protect themselves from lawsuits and for peace of mind of employees. In fact most probably don’t have access to protected data as that is all handled by the providers and associated contractors.

Sounds like Penn State could release info but would naturally be reluctant to do so. And sports teams would be even more reluctant.......don’t give out info the opponents can use. Also, don’t upset players or parents/guardians by releasing personal info.

Lein, how does the NFL circumvent these laws when they provide an injury report each week?

maybe this is the loophole

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/strategy/do-hipaa-laws-apply-athletes

“Physicians and healthcare workers cannot release someone's medical information unless authorized by the patient or required by a public health authority. Such regulations do not apply to team physicians or trainers employed by an organization or franchise. These medical officials are not subject to HIPAA, but to their employer.”

As a rule, any person or entity that has access to patients’ medical data must be HIPAA compliant. These entities are defined by HIPAA as:

• Covered entities — any person or organization that has access to PHI. This includes healthcare providers, doctors, healthcare staff, pharmacies, healthcare clearinghouses, insurance companies, dentists, clinics, and nursing homes.
  • Business associates — any person or organization that performs a service or other activity for a covered entity that gives it access to PHI. This includes email providers, cloud storage providers, physical storage providers, billing and finance companies, lawyers, accountants, third-party consultants, and Electronic Health Record (EHR) platforms.
In short, any business or any individual acting in a professional capacity that has any contact with the healthcare industry must be HIPAA compliant.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reading this it sounds like employers and such are not covered as they are not in the provider domain. But I would think most try to be compliant to protect themselves from lawsuits and for peace of mind of employees. In fact most probably don’t have access to protected data as that is all handled by the providers and associated contractors.

Sounds like Penn State could release info but would naturally be reluctant to do so. And sports teams would be even more reluctant.......don’t give out info the opponents can use. Also, don’t upset players or parents/guardians by releasing personal info.

The provider would be the healthcare business that treats SC. If it is the Penn State Medical Center, that would not be PSU, as I would assumed the MC is a different legal entity. If he is treated by a different health system, then further distance from PSU.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.

Your Grandson's best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend, heard from this guy who knows this girl who spoke to the doctor who said his ribs are fractured.....do I have this right step? ;) here's hoping the 3 weeks part is correct

Reactions: Nitwit
My diagnosis: Who cares? We will never know anything until he either takes the field or doesn't against Illinois in two weeks. In the meantime, I want the 10 minutes of my life back after reading this thread...I would rather have watched flied fvck!!

My diagnosis: Who cares? We will never know anything until he either takes the field or doesn't against Illinois in two weeks. In the meantime, I want the 10 minutes of my life back after reading this thread...I would rather have watched flied fvck!!
Well, why read it the whole way through then??

Reactions: Lion8286
It should be a bad injury for him to miss the rest of that game. Look how Texas A&M QB played when he could barely walk. Clifford didn't appear to be in pain on the sidelines in the second half, but you can't make a judgment based on that.
I assume it was, at minimum, an extremely painful injury that would impact his ability to play QB. I don’t think Clifford ducked anything on Saturday. He took some shots, just as any QB as active inside and outside the pocket as he will. Campbell crushed him (legally) on that last hit, I’m not going to begrudge a guy an injury.

Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.

Please--take your likes away, the only thing I like about this is Sean can recover from his injury.
Since we aren’t likely to get much, if any, information about Clifford, I have a couple questions maybe we can get answers about.

What does Olivia look like (assuming not the one from midnighter’s poll)? Does this qualify for a flag?

Reactions: step.eng69

Thank you for the clarifications to address some of the incorrect information in this thread. In addition to HIPAA most states have medical privacy laws that constrain entities who have accumulated or gathered medical health information and that would provide for a cause of action if PHI was distributed without a lawful purpose.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Since we aren’t likely to get much, if any, information about Clifford, I have a couple questions maybe we can get answers about.

What does Olivia look like (assuming not the one from midnighter’s poll)? Does this qualify for a flag?
@step.eng69 is pretty smart and an upstanding guy. You will get more info about Clifford’s injury than you will about Olivia!

Once more, with emphasis -- it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

And once more with emphasis -- Clifford's injury can be discussed just like a pitcher who needs Tommy John surgery can be discussed.

Once more, with emphasis -- it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

And once more with emphasis -- Clifford's injury can be discussed just like a pitcher who needs Tommy John surgery can be discussed.
I agree....one big difference: A pitcher needing TJ surgery is a pro player and subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement. SC is an amateur and has no CBA. Point being that the CBA allows for their teams to release injury reports and depth charts. There is no obligation for NCAA football, as far as I know.

Reactions: TheGLOV

It’s most likely part of their CBA.

I really don’t understand all of the knicker twisting over this. A few years ago, pretty much every Penn State coach went silent regarding player injuries. Seems like the most logical answer is that it is a departmental or university policy. The uncontrollable urge to know every single detail puts the fanatic back in the word fan.

Your Grandson's best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend, heard from this guy who knows this girl who spoke to the doctor who said his ribs are fractured.....do I have this right step? ;) here's hoping the 3 weeks part is correct

If Sean has a couple of ribs with fractures
I would guess he will be playing in a gingerly, cautious manner that may affect his performance.

I honestly don’t give a $hit being in the CFB, never have, but I would love to see our guys in the Rose Bowl

No it isn't. It would be a violation if they called your doctor and the doctor released that info without your consent.

Requirements to disclose medical information are nothing new. Penn State (and I believe every school in the country) has required disclosing your MMR and Meningitis (for housing) status for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and mrdr89

Well, she is 27, much too old for fellows on this board. If you’re at a game in Beaver Stadium, look for the suite that Franco is in and pick out the prettiest, blond haired gal in the suite….that will be Olivia.

Not the Paterno suite, Franco is in there occasionally

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT