ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

A shame that PSU couldn’t hold on to Levis with the new OC. SC has not been able to stay on the field in any of his seasons.
Welp, just have to hope they can do something with the backups.

Reactions: TheGLOV
When a 300 pound guy falls on you, it’s never soft. I know of a work comp claim where a guy fell off a step ladder into grass and landed wrong, broke his back and is paralyzed for life. Should have been a “soft” landing situation, but his body hit the wrong way.
I didn’t mean to trivialize the tackle, all I meant to say is that it was a textbook tackle, nothing dirty.

When I was 16 a friend took me skeet shooting. With no instruction, no preparation they just handed me two boxes of 12ga loads. I broke a 16/14 on a regulation field. Sounds like a nice afternoon out right? The next day I had a black and blue the size of a cantaloupe on my right shoulder/chest. It took five days of icing/heat before I could lift my arm beyond parallel.

By the way, the work comp claim story is horrible, truly tragic.

Last edited:
I didn’t mean to trivialize the tackle, all I meant to say is that it was a textbook tackle, nothing dirty.

When I was 16 a friend to take me skeet shooting. With no instruction, no preparation they just handed me two boxes of 12ga loads. I broke a 16/14 on a regulation field. Sounds like a nice afternoon out right? The next day I had a black and blue the size of a cantaloupe on my right shoulder/chest. It took five days of icing/heat before I could lift my arm beyond parallel.

I don’t think anyone in here claimed it was a dirty tackle, but being tackled by a 300 pound guy could result in an injury whether it was clean or dirty.

Here’s what I think and I may be wrong. Since the tackle was textbook, clean and on the soft side, Clifford may have come into the Iowa game with an injury from a previous game.

Huh, what? Tackle was absolutely clean, but your notion that it was "soft" is absurd. Campbell's entire body-weight came down on Clifford chest-to-chest.

Reactions: TheGLOV

When I was 16 a friend to take me skeet shooting. With no instruction, no preparation they just handed me two boxes of 12ga loads. I broke a 16/14 on a regulation field. Sounds like a nice afternoon out right? The next day I had a black and blue the size of a cantaloupe on my right shoulder/chest. It took five days of icing/heat before I could lift my arm beyond parallel.

No kidding. Campbell's full body drove Clifford into ground chest-to-chest, plenty of force to flex the bones at the bottom of the rib-cage.

Here’s what I think and I may be wrong. Since the tackle was textbook, clean and on the soft side, Clifford may have come into the Iowa game with an injury from a previous game.
During the first half of the Indiana game, he was dinged up on a 3rd and 1 QB draw. Before the next offensive series, he spent the whole 4 minute TV timeout running/throwing on the sideline trying to get himself right.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
A shame that PSU couldn’t hold on to Levis with the new OC. SC has not been able to stay on the field in any of his seasons.
Welp, just have to hope they can do something with the backups.
But Levi’s had a chance in 2019 and he was decidedly worse than Clifford. Not sure what the staff could have done differently

No kidding. Campbell's full body drove Clifford into ground chest-to-chest, plenty of force to flex the bones at the bottom of the rib-cage.
It’s possible he was hurt on an earlier play and that last tackle just exacerbated the injury.

Reactions: BobPSU92
We need Mike Tomlin right about now. He cracks me up when talking injuries.
Coach Tomlin says "We're going to evaluate the injury in the course of our preparations moving forward in the context of what's best for our football team as a unit. The medical staff will confer with the player and the coaching staff and we'll come to an understanding of the situation that we can investigate to determine how future considerations will need to be considered. I don't want to speculate before I have all the information available that can be ascertained. Regardless, the standard is the standard and we'll hold ourselves accountable while seeking to shed some light on the matter at hand."

My guess is the injury is worse than we suspect it is, hence CJF not releasing any info. He knows exactly what will happen in the polls if and when it is found out that SC is out for a substantial number of games.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
But Levi’s had a chance in 2019 and he was decidedly worse than Clifford. Not sure what the staff could have done differently
And that was the old RPO system that does not jive with his skill set. It is no accident he went to where the OC runs a more drop back system that fits him better. And Yurcich runs far fewer RPOs and does it much differently. Levis may have done quite well under Yurcich. Maybe not. We will never know.

Reactions: Nittany_93
I'm going to guess that whatever medical instruments the team or Iowa had in the stadium or probably not enough to give a complete evaluation of the injury. No sense in coach giving anything more than that until they get back home today and he can go get it checked out fully.

My guess is the injury is worse than we suspect it is, hence CJF not releasing any info. He knows exactly what will happen in the polls if and when it is found out that SC is out for a substantial number of games.

CJF also knows that if he discloses SC’s injury without SC’s permission, he chances a violation of Federal law.

He had a much shorter rope around his neck when making mistakes sir.
Agreed. The staff was much quicker to let Levis in the game than Roberson. I think Levis was much much closer to Clifford than he was to Roberson. It’s just Occam’s razor dude.

HIPPA prevents the release of private health information. CJF has no choice. I don’t know why people don’t understand that.

Reactions: We Are . . .
I'm going to guess that whatever medical instruments the team or Iowa had in the stadium or probably not enough to give a complete evaluation of the injury. No sense in coach giving anything more than that until they get back home today and he can go get it checked out fully.

I am with you on this bison. They know the area of the injury obviously, but will need to get to a real medical facility to fully assess the situation. I assume that will happen back in SC when they return. Maybe we hear from coach during the week along the line or either "SC is a week to week situation" or "SC is gone for the year". I assume same with PJ.

Reactions: bison13
I hope he is not worried about the polls. Just want to win a few more games this year and start building for next year. Going to miss Brisket and Dotson big time.

That’s called catastrophic thinking.

Of course we're all speculating, but I will just add my own two cents: Sadly, I think that it's pretty damn bad, whatever it is, for him to have absolutely no option of playing in the 2nd half and be in street clothes. It sucks, but I fear it's gonna be a long time before we see him on the field again.

When a 300 pound guy falls on you, it’s never soft. I know of a work comp claim where a guy fell off a step ladder into grass and landed wrong, broke his back and is paralyzed for life. Should have been a “soft” landing situation, but his body hit the wrong way.

But he got right back on the ladder and finished the job, didn’t he? He didn’t quit and leave the work to be done by someone else, right?

o_O

Reactions: AWS1022
Have you guys ever made a post in the heat of the moment, out of frustration, that you wish you could take back?

I shouldn't have questioned Clifford's toughness. I know if he could be out there he would. I was frustrated by the fact that it didn't look like anything significant on the surface, we collapsed on Offense without him and we don't know the nature or severity of the injury.

I'm gonna fall back and watch my Birds gets crushed by Carolina now.

Doesn't look like a concussion. He's walking the sidelines. Ribs?

If nothing is broken or torn, he needed to be out there. That's what leaders do when the team needs you. I'm sick over this loss. We were far better than Iowa. They won on an injury. Sux!
Boo. Pretty narrow-minded Mr. Macho. You from Iowa?

Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.
Makes a lot of sense as that was the word (fractured ribs) going around on the message boards late last night and early this morning. Just shows how valuable Clifford is to PSU

Reactions: step.eng69
Unofficial news: just passing along, i do not know anything else....

Grandsons friend, Olivia, spoke with the team doctor following the game. Two fractured ribs, possibly play in three weeks.
Makes complete sense that the Penn State team doctor, knowing HIPAA laws and how tight CJF is regarding release of injury updates on players would casually mention to a youngster named "Olivia" the diagnosis and prognosis of the injury to Sean Clifford. Okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT